“If you can find it, it's so worth it!”
Review of La Vena

La Vena
Ranked #69 of 173 Restaurants in Manzanillo
Cuisines: Mexican
Vancouver Island, BC
“If you can find it, it's so worth it!”
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We've eaten at this little place a few times. The fare is Mexican. This is the only building in the location. There's a mangrove lagoon and a world class beach and this little restaurant. Come for the day, swim in the lagoon (no crocodiles) and eat at the restaurant. You'll need a car or take a taxi from La Manzanilla. Over 20 of us went for the day in Feb. 2013 and they served all of us at once, from a very small kitchen. Fabulous fish! What a day!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank GypsyMouse

Kelowna
“After a beach walk......nice to have a beer!”
Reviewed 29 January 2013

I agree with everything that lukinfirsun had to say ........a bit of Mexican paradise! Had a couple of cervesas with a couple (originally from Manitoba) who had their sailboat anchored in the bay.
Beer cost $P 17-20. A house special Coconut Shrimp dish was $P110. Don't miss it. Cheers!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank fsr2000
ontario
“Paradise”
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Tried to write a review of this restaurant in the spring .We were there this past March and when I tried to write a review TA said they would get back to me once they searched restaurant .Never did but just checking I see I now can .
This restaurant is located at the end of the beach that Blue Bay Resort is on .About 2km walk I would guess down the beach .
The setting is just amazing located at the mouth of the La Vena river where there is also a campground used mostly by Mexican people it seems .The restaurant is very basic with plastic chairs and tables under a very old looking flat palapa roof .It is an outdoor restaurant with rustic looking cooking conditions .
You relax and eat under the palapa at the edge of the river where it joins the ocean .The view is spectacular with sail boats anchored out front with many of these people on the beach enjoying the restaurant as well .The atmosphere is perfect .
We stayed at the blue bay and wondered down to this restaurant and found the food amazing .Mostly seafood dishes , we had a fish dish and shrimp dish and they were 5 star meals .
The place can't be missed if your in the area .It seems very rustic so I would say they don't accept credit cards ,cash only and your much better to use pesos as they are not very concerned about the exchange rate .Can't say I really blame them .
The service was also great .
Don't need shoes or a shirt for this one ,though it wouldn't hurt and some people do dress up for a late afternoon dinner .
Also best to go there lunch to late afternoon for dinner as I don't think they operate much past dark as I think they rely on a generator for power while cooking .Yes ,they had to start the generator to run the blender to make my wifes margarita !
Like I said ,don't miss it.

• Visited March 2012