“Manzanillo High Value!”
Review of Hotel Anita

Hotel Anita
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manzanillo
Hotel Anita
Ranked #27 of 53 Hotels in Manzanillo
Vancouver, Canada
“Manzanillo High Value!”
Reviewed 14 February 2013

The good:
I was blown away by my good fortune in finding this place on basically no notice. I decided to travel to Manzanillo on a sunday, and reading the lonely planet Mexico on the bus. Rooms available literally 50 feet from the water. I got a reasonably clean room with 2 beds, hot shower for $280 pesos (just over $20 canadian). I was able to walk to the beach from my room in about a minute with no sandals on. Which is wonderful because one of the problems I always face at the beach is what to do with my stuff - in this case, just leave it in the room! You can watch a beautiful sunset while knocking back a few cold ones, and then you can go to sleep with the sound of waves crashing outside your window.

The hotel is a bit isolated. Not really much around it except a few other hotels. Which is good and bad depending how you look at it. But if you just want quiet, this is the place.

The bad:
A couple of things to note because of which I couldn't give it higher than 3 stars. The door locks are impossible! It took the owner about 2 minutes of jiggling to make it open, during which time she told me it was 'very secure.' After I came back, I wasn't able to open the door despite 10 minutes of jiggling and trying. I had to get someone to unlock my door every time I wanted to go in, or I just left it open. Also, there was no seat on the toilet! This is a trend I have noticed in Mexico, and I just don't understand it. No one knows the reason.... but I just put some newspapers around it and was all good. Also, no wifi. Still, all of these were minor inconveniences in the face of a largely positive experience.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank BOOIS1982

Business
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed 15 February 2011

I was back packing through mexico and came across this gem. Its not lavish by any stretch but being directly on the beach the air is fresh and naturally cleanses the space around you with a beautiful breeze. A million dollar view with a low price of $20 a night. This beach is not overly populated and the only thing you will hear is the waves crashing on the shore. The patio is gorgeous with some classic architecture to match. The staff does not speak a word of english but are very kind. If you give the cleaning lady some pesos she will take your laundry wash it, iron it, and fold it neatly and leave it at the foot of your bed. I will visit again one day!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank linger83
Zacatecas
Reviewed 23 February 2010

We didn't end up staying at this hotel, but were checking it out because of previous reviews we saw on Trip Advisor. The first thing we noticed is that half the windows were broken, and the floors looked like they hadn't been washed in weeks. Some of the doors were off their hinges, and the beach was smelly and dirty. It was horrible!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank 2CanadiansinMexico

Travellers are raving about these Manzanillo hotels

Sparks, Nevada
Reviewed 29 March 2008

We really enjoyed the two nights we spent at the Anita. We had called ahead of time to make a reservation for the 350 peso room. Upon our arrival, the friendly lady at the front desk asked us if we'd like to see what we could get for just 50 pesos more and we said, "Sure." It was an upstairs room with it's own private balcony overlooking the beach! Of course we took that room.

The room itself was very rustic but clean. The white metal ceiling fan was rusty from the sea ai,r but it worked great. There was a single bare bulb for light. The bathroom was simple but clean. The whole place was very old, but it was clean and had a great genuine Mexican charm to it. The sunsets were gorgeous and it was amazing sleeping so close to the crashing sound of the waves.

The staff was very friendly and were willing to help in any way they could. We were within a short walk of a community called Santiago, where there were many small restaurants. There was also a restaurant on the beach below the hotel that would bring you your food right on the beach.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who's on a tight budget but still wants to be on the beach. It is not a modern or luxurious hotel, but it is clean and friendly, and you cannot beat the view you get for the equivalent of forty bucks!

• Liked — The awesome views and location right on the beach
  • Disliked — The bathroom design wasn't very convenient.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank BonnieandPolo
Vancouver
Reviewed 8 January 2007

I spent a month at the Anita Hotel in Dec of 06. The staff was friendly and the rooms were clean with plenty of hot water. Being an old backpacker this place brought back pheasant memories. Other then Christmas and Easter the Hotel is not busy. Just show up and depending on length of stay negotiate the price. The place shows its age and signs of earthquake damage. If you can live with just the basics, it is the right choice. The location is excellent, right on a beach and just a short walk to downtown Santiago and bus service for the Manzanillo area.

• Liked — Beach
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
6 Thank motoVancouver
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 March 2004

We stayed at the hotel Anita and loved it, sure it lacks many things but the things it misses, you gain in it's charm. The building was partially closed in some areas due to previous earthquake damage, and what a thrill to be out swimming with the moray eels! (Didn't know it until afterwards) You can walk into town if your feeling like a good stroll, or hop on a rickety old bus to take you there. We hopped a bus like this on our way back to the hotel Anita after spending some time in a local bar, a rough ride it was on full bladders, when we did get off the bus, the thing caught on fire and started smoking! But that's the charm of Mexico is it not? Plenty of stray dogs around, it would be wise not to pet any of them as they all seem unclean. That was a few years ago now, back in 1998, but the memories still haunt me and bad they are not. If I ever go back to Manzanillo, I would certainly look into The Anita again. Manzanillo was a holiday get away for the locals, so you don't get bothered by people trying to sell you 'cheap mexican garbage' while you are lounging on the beach. Experience the 'real' Mexico and give it a try.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 May 2003

I have actually stayed at the Hotel Anita two separate times, once in 1987 and again in 1992. I loved the place, my fondest memories -the old worn tile, the cheap prices, the large room with gorgeous worn mexican tile, the beds certainly lacked lustre (I don't quite know why some hotel managers just don't buy a new mattress??) My daughter thought the sheets were made of surgical gauge, not exactly 300 count- A litter of kittens hanging out outside of our room in the patio each evening, the servant that had (we think) a hand missing, lets hope it wasn't a cooking incident! Lovely ocean views! No central AC, just the old Casablanca fans whirling so loud they put you to sleep, very friendly people in the rooms, a pool that Never Had Any Water In IT!?? Artists living in the cheap rooms w/kitchettes. All in all, lots of old Mexico, non tourist charm. No Hyatt Regency BS.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member