“Just Breathe”

Ranked #5 of 53 Hotels in Manzanillo
San Pedro, California, United States
“Just Breathe”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We stayed at Pepes 12/14-18/2011. Luckily for us, we were the only guests there—a dream come true to have the entire resort to ourselves. We arrived in the afternoon, were escorted down to our very private casita through palm-covered stone walkways, and clouds of purple bougainvillea. Walking past the pool, the unending vista of the Manzanilla coast will take your breath away. As we were taking in the music of the pounding surf below our hut, our first drinks arrived, and our vacation had begun.
Our fabulous dinners were served every night at 6. Speedy served either a 3 or 4 course meal, including a local dessert, and we usually were joined by Pepe, himself, who is delightful company. It is a relaxed, European style meal that extends into the evening, and allows one to truly enjoy the ambiance. Main courses were fish, chicken, or beef, and prepared to perfection every time. Lunches were served at the pool area, and were big plates of snack-y type foods—taquitos, big bowls of guacamole, ceviche, quesadillas, salsas and chilis, sliced mango and pineapple, crispy fried tortillas for dipping. Perfect for lounging, a little swimming, a lot of drinking, and relaxing. Breakfast was served whenever we got up. Sliced fruit and coffee was brought to the table as soon as we sat down. Then we were offered a variety of egg dishes and breakfast meat. I have never seen such thick bacon—it was big and tasty and chewy and salty, and perfect. And the huevos rancheros were perfect every time.
Crowning glory for me was the magical appearance of the coffee tray on our veranda every morning before I woke up.
The pool area had a little frig and freezer always stocked with drinks. We requested an extra snack for the late night to be left in the frig, and they accommodated us delightfully. Also, Speedy kept a pitcher of margaritas in the freezer, 24/7, which we enjoyed, immensely and repeatedly.
Our “hut” was appointed, delightfully. On the veranda was a little table, and hammock. I spent a few evenings in the hammock, just staring out at the ocean. There was a little desk inside, which I used for a bit of writing, and email. Wireless extended down to our hut. The bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows. Plenty of hot water, toiletries, and even bottled water, soda, and beer in the frig. A ceiling fan & floor fan kept us cool at night.
There are plenty of activities if you want—a local beach, fishing, massage, shopping, etc. but we only went into town once. Pepe’s is the perfect place to just stay put, and enjoy the peace. And breathe.
The staff is very pleasant and made sure we had everything we wanted. They were always accessible, but never hovering. Our casita was always tidied up while we were at breakfast. We definitely plan to return, and perhaps even make it an annual trip.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lisa K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Seattle
Reviewed 26 November 2011

We stayed with Pepe from 11/15 - 11/22 and couldn't have enjoyed ourselves more.

Upon arrival at Pepe's you will start looking around for Ricardo Montalban and Herve Villachez because you'll think you're on Fantasy Island. Lucky for you, you aren't - you're at Pepe's Hideaway, and you're about to indulge in the time of your life.

When the taxi brings you to entrance of Pepe's you'll be taken aback at the lush tropical surroundings, the warm, inviting dining area, and the sound of the surf that already tempts you toward the pool that looks out over the ocean. Just as you're starting to absorb the fact that you're literally in paradise, you're greeted by the 'spoiling staff'. With the cocktail of your choice in hand and a friendly greeting from Speedy, you're on your way to your casita.

The 'spoiling staff' are truly just that - there to spoil you rotton. Speedy and his crew really make you feel as though your merest wish is their delight to fulfill. I can't tell you how much the staff will add to your visit.

You begin your day awaking to the sound of the ocean crashing on the rocks below your cliff-side casita. The sun streaming across your deck tempts you to step out and take a delicious breath of fresh air, and that's when you notice the spoiling staff has already gone to work for the day. There is a tray filled with coffee, mugs, cream and sugar awaiting your consumption. Coffee on the deck? In your hammock? In bed? That's your decision. We highly recommend all three.

After leisurely waking you wander into the community kitchen, a cozy setting in the midst of lush plants and flowers. Breakfast consists of deliciously fresh tropical fruit, eggs done how you like them, delicious bread and jam, and the most amazingly thick-cut bacon. Afternoon 'botanas' include the best guacamole I've ever had, shrimp or fish ceviche, tostadas, maybe cheese quesadillas - the spoiling staff will whip you up any range of delicious bites that you can enjoy poolside, or at the table. We were regularly asked after breakfast if there was anything special we might enjoy for dinner, be it steak, pork, chicken, shrimp, pasta - whatever! Believe the hype about this place - you will get what you ask for, be it food, beverage, or entertainment suggestions.

Pepe himself is a charming, friendly, funny, and magnificent host. The stories he has to share from his time in the fashion industry will have you on the edge of your seat, and in general he's just an incredibly interesting and affable guy. You'll love having him as a dinner companion.

Pepe regularly asked if there was anything we wanted to do so that he could set it up for us - fishing, exploring, lounging oceanside at a nearby beach club... whether you're there to relax or have some adventure, he will help you make it happen.

I'm a well-seasoned traveler and I will admit, we had concerns about the cartel violence happening in some parts of Mexico. One of the reasons we chose Manzanillo is because the state in which its located, Colima, is regularly marked as the safest state in Mexico. And Pepe's, in particular, is located in one of the safest and most secure locations in Manzanillo: La Punta. We couldn't have felt any safer during our stay.

If you're torn between Pepe's and some other location, don't even hesitate to book this tropical paradise for fun, adventure, and indulgence. A relaxing respite from reality, you'll be indulged, refreshed, and reinvigorated as a result of your time at Pepe's.

Room Tip: Ask for an oceanfront room - it's worth it!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Alicia D
Lake Forest, California
Reviewed 23 September 2011

I have been dreaming recently about a return visit to Pepe's. Who am I kidding? I think about it a lot! When I need a moment of peace, I pull out some of my photos from my visit here and imagine I am swaying in my hammock, enjoying a perfect margarita made my Speedy. I have yet to find a better made margarita anywhere! My visit was in the off-season, July, so it was hotter and more humid, but oh my goodness was it Green! Peaceful and Beautiful! I recommend this destination more than any other to my friends. Speedy and his crew are wonderful, the service is excellent, the food is amazing! This is definitely a place where you can slow time down a bit and really enjoy life!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Tiacat311
London
Reviewed 16 May 2011

We spent a week at Pepe’s back in March for part of our Honeymoon and it was just as we’d hoped. We were greeted by Speedy (Pepe’s right hand man) and a hand painted sign in the entranceway saying Feliz Luna De Miel (happy honeymoon) to my wife and I. That little touch summed up the place really. Pepe’s is not a boutique hotel nor does it try to be. What you get here is far more privacy and exclusivity than anything but the most expensive top-end hotels could offer. The thatched bungalows are fairly simple and rustic, but more than comfortable enough. The staff are friendly, efficient and discrete.

The views will take your breath away – from inside and outside the rooms! We even saw whales frolicking in the bay from our balcony one of the days!

There is no timetable other than dinner at 6PM with the owner Pepe and any other guests. This was a pleasurable experience in itself as the food and company were always excellent.

The private beach within the gated community of La Punta is about a 15 minute walk away – which was a welcome bit of exercise after all of the delicious Mexican food the team provides! Speedy is happy to drive you there, but we chose to walk every day. The beach was generally very quiet and was a pleasant place to spend a couple of hours in the afternoon. There was only one day when the sea was too rough for swimming.

There is also some reasonable snorkelling to be had back in Manzanillo. We were lucky enough to see a pod of 20-30 dolphins on the day that we went out!

If you’re flying from Mexico City with Aeromar then book nearer the time as it gets cheaper and the flights aren’t busy (our flights both ways were almost empty).

All in all highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Toro-Ingles
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 21 April 2011

Speedy and his Crew took great care of us while we were there. He could get you anything you needed. Never ran low on beers or drinks, made enough food for an army every time we ate. The Best fresh squeezed O.J. everyday at breakfast. Great massages, great thatch roof rooms, awesome pool and hotub, we stayed for 9 nights and I can't think of one thing that i could complain about. Thank you Speedy and Crew, Thank you Pepe for taking such awesome care of all 6 of us. We will definitely be back in the future, and recommend this place to family and friends when they are thinking about staying in Mexico.

Room Tip: The Blue Hut & the Yellow Hut were awesome.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cpachunka
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I have been visiting Pepes Hideaway for 17 years and it is always a fantastic adventure.
Infact, I feel like I am home as soon as I arrive. The staff, food and accommodatins are wonderful.
If you want to get away, Pepes is the place to do it.
I have had several visits alone when I wanted to get away & recharge, and have brought groups of people and gone on romantic getaways with my husband.
Pepes does not disappoint, Book it today...
Darcy**

Room Tip: Unless I am there, Casita # 3
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hagbaginc
celaya
Reviewed 3 April 2011

Pepe’s Hideaway fell far below our expectations. After reading so many glowing reviews about it on Trip Advisor, my husband and I decided to give ourselves a treat and made reservations to stay there for several days of our Manzanillo vacation. We arrived at Pepe’s around noon and found that because neither the manager Speedy, nor the owner Pepe, were on the premises (while the cat’s away…) the service was terrible- complaints about the amount of luggage we had- a” lunch” that would only pass as a bar snack- and no staff in sight. The attitude of the administration when they showed up in late afternoon was to write it off to,”He was probably kidding about the luggage” and “It’s an American style lunch.” I’m American, and a bag of tostadas with some salsa and a couple of tortillas with something that tasted like microwave melted cheese, isn’t an American lunch. “You should have asked for something else,” was another of the responses, which was rather hard to do when the staff disappears. Other comments about women liking to make a small problem into a big deal, left me wondering about our stay there.
After evaluating the quality and poor variety of 3 meals and drinks ( old pre- frozen margaritas and cheap wines), we felt that the service and amenities were not a good value vis-a-vis the price, as compared to other all-inclusive hotels in Mexico and/or Caribbean cruises. We left for another hotel the next morning. They couldn’t give us an invoice at check out time, but we were promised one via Internet, which a week later still hadn’t arrived. When my husband spoke to Pepe on the phone he was told to forget about it because they didn’t have any and, “ just to let it slide this time because it was only one night….”
Pepe’s has its redeeming qualities. The view is truly spectacular from the cabins and the jacuzzi and pool area, and the nice dachshund doggies running about give it a cozy feel. However, would we go back? NO. Would we recommend it? NOT A CHANCE. NO WAY!!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple