“Heaven on Earth”

Ranked #3 of 53 Hotels in Manzanillo
nottin
“Heaven on Earth”
Reviewed 13 February 2014

From the moment I walked onto the property I knew this place was really special. The landscaping and the flowers and the palm trees were stunning!!!! I was walking into a beautiful jungle paradise! The colors of everything was amazing. The stone path leading to the bungalows just added to the fairybook-like feel of this place. The stone path that was canopied by palm trees continued to the pool area. This place literally took my breath away. My bungalow was #3 ocean front. The inside was simple and uncluttered and clean. The palapa roof is magnificent! There is no air cond. but there is no need because of the wonderful constant breeze coming off of the ocean. Even if there was air cond I wouldn't have needed to use it. There are no TV's or clock radios or any other electronic distractions in the rooms. My "music" was hearing the ocean 24/7. I cannot get enough of it! There is a seating area on the balcony where the sunsets are stunning! The hammock is awesome and there is a pot of coffee waiting for me every morning on my balcony.

The only thing that took some time (maybe 2 days) to get used to were the mosquitoes. They tend to be pretty fierce, but Pepe provides 2 big floor fans to keep them away when sleeping and there is a stock pile of bug repellent and citronella candles in the room to keep them away. After all, you are in the jungle, so you'll just have to deal with it :) I didn't mind, b/c the scenery and everything else made it well worth it.

You are served breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! Fresh and so so so flavorful. The marguaritas are a specialty here and you just won't find any better anywhere! They are available 24-7 in the freezer by the pool :)

There is wi-fi everywhere on the property which was a "must have" for me because I had to work while i was here.

Pepe, the owner, is a lovely, lovely man who really takes care of his guests. I traveled solo and he quickly became a true friend. He was like another grandfather to me and he made sure I lacked for nothing. This place is very very safe for female solo travelers. I never locked my doors and they've never had an incident of theft ever in the 35/40 years they've been here.

This place is meant to be a place of refuge and relaxation. There are no children allowed and respectful behavior of everyone is encouraged and enforced. For example, leave your cell phone in your room for all meals! :)

I will always be coming back here when I need to just decompress and unwind. I stayed 7 nights but wished I could have stayed 7 months or forever :) I'm still trying to convince Pepe to let me rent this bungalow for a month at a time ...

Room Tip: Bungalow 3 is the best view and the most quiet if you like to be away from the pool area.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank tigraphics

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Minnesota
Reviewed 24 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here in April of 2010 and had an amazing experience. You will not find another place like this. When this resort was built it was done with love,in a way that modern resorts are not built. It feels like a place where old Hollywood would go to get away. Our room had a large tiled tub with beautiful brass faucet, a thatched roof & open air windows. Very late 60's, vintage and charming. Each Casita is unique and situated to have a privacy. The food was excellent and we enjoyed visiting with the other guests. Breakfast is a huge meal with the worlds best bacon. Lunch is a snack with chips, guac, ceviche, sometimes seasoned cucumbers. Dinner is a delicious meal shared with all the guests at 6pm. Slightly early, but staff gets to leave after that. Each morning they discreetly leave coffee and fresh bread outside your room. The pool has margaritas & beer, but upon request the staff mixed us a blender of Pina Colada's. We spent a day at the beach club where Speedy delivered us a lunch. Then returned later to give us a ride home. He also invited us to ride along to town for his grocery trip. The staff treated us like old friends. If you are looking for a unique, Relaxing, Romantic experience, try Pepe's. If you want newly renovated modern rooms, flat screens, air conditioning, and a full bar and buffet, this may not be your kind of place.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MinnesotaTrisha
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 January 2014

The rarity in the 21st Century to find a place that feels like a home away from home continues to bewilder me. You go and stay at all these exotic places where the service is next to none, foods amazing, facilities are top of the notch, yet they all lack one vital characteristic. That was until I had a week a Pepes Hideaway.

They nailed it! They are everyday people, that understand people. They, unlike most of the other 'top of the line resorts' know how to interact and care for people. The experience at Pepes Hideaway, due to this characteristic, was most enjoyable as you feel a sense of respect and family warmth from the staff. The location speaks for itself, as shown in the photographs. It is simply breath taking and is the epitome of a famous Australian line, "Hows the Serenity!" When you sit back, relax and enjoy the wide array of drinks, including Cocoloco and Margaritas, on offer throughout the 'hideaway' you truly get the ideal experience of a vacation; to rest and rejuvenate.
The family warmth that is portrayed around the place is a representation of the quality of the staff at Pepes Hideaway. Speedy and his team have the needs and expectations of the guests at heart as they work tirelessly around the clock to ensure everyones stay is enjoyable as possible and this is always done with a smile from ear to ear. They simply know how to treat people like people, which is becoming ever increasingly harder and harder to find! My favourite part, the food they prepared and offered in abundance. Breakfast is a feast of kings, typically with freshly squeezed orange juice, your choice of fresh fruit and then the main hot breakfast with what can only be described as the 'best bacon in the world' that could even be called a pork chop!! Safety is vital in Mexico and the gated community of La Punta is know for its tight knit community and welcoming feel. This can be experience as you explore the headland that overlooks the ever amazing Pacific Ocean, however the need to explore shouldn't be the first priority as the view doesn't get any better than at Pepes!
To fit in and feel like you're at home away from home only after a weeks long stay is a Credit to Pepe and his team. Keep up the great work guys and I'll be back for my Honeymoon!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I have been coming to Pepes with family and friends for about 8 years. We come at least once a year, sometimes more than once, just to take some time off and relax. I have gone with just my family, but we have gone with other families as well and filled the place up--both great experiences! The food is amazing, you won't want to leave Pepes for any meals. Breakfasts are unforgettable, eggs made anyway you want, 1inch thick bacon and mango pancakes! There is yogurt/granola as well!!! Lunch is more relaxed, they will bring you anything you want straight to the pool or ocean. Dinners are homemade, and different every night. Great fresh fish and seafood!! All of the casitas have beautiful views of the ocean, and you really feel like you have escaped into paradise. Its impossible not to forget about your work at home--but if you need to remember there is wifi throughout the property that is easy to jump on and send some emails. Pepes is a great place to relax and really escape from the real world. Its a special small place where you really feel like you are at home.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Santa Barbara, United States
Reviewed 9 January 2014

My significant other has been going to Pepe's Hideaway for over 30 years! Lucky me, I now get to go, as well! This is my second year, and I hope one day to say that I have been going back for many, many years! When you return to Pepe's it is like coming back to your family. Pepe, Speedy, Juan and everyone are there to greet you. What a welcome!

Let's start with the location: it does not get much better than this spot. If you love the sound of the waves, and looking at the vast view, this is the absolute place for you! The palapas are situated in a way that you can't help but see the ocean! Each palapa has a refrigerator filled with water (flat and with gas), and beer!
La Punta is beautiful, and Pepe's Hideaway is nestled along the cliff. You feel as if you are in your own private area; you don't have to deal with many tourists, lines, waiting, etc. There are usually three to four other couples there, and we have not met anyone that we did not enjoy meeting. People from all over come to stay at Pepe's, and there is never a dull moment.

I truly relaxed, and spent my days reading and swimming. The area is beautiful for daily walks. We took a day trip, but realized that we loved just "hanging" out by the pool! And, make sure you get in the Jacuzzi; it juts out over the cliff! Did I mention that fresh margaritas are made daily, and await you at the pool? There is a bar there, that has soft drinks, water, beers, as well! You just help yourself!

Food: let's put it this way: I could not stop eating. Speedy and his staff will bring you snacks (home made guacamole, quesadillas, and hand made margaritas, or anything else that you choose, shows up at your request. Want to have a picnic somewhere? No problem! No sooner do you make your request, the picnic fixings are waiting for you.
When you awaken, there is a pot of freshly brewed coffee, waiting. You can sit out on your deck, and enjoy the morning. Then, you go to breakfast. Breakfast is a unique experience of its own: fresh fruits, amazing unique egg dishes, the fluffiest pancakes ever! Get the bacon!
Lunch is to your liking; you just head up to the main area, and enjoy what awaits you!
Dinner was so good, we never left to go into town. We had fresh fish , amazing soups, and a whole array of food. If you do not eat meat, a unique meal will be prepared.
Your taste buds will definitely be jumping!

Additionally, Pepe adds his wonderful sense of humor and customer service during the meals. And, the stories he tells will keep you laughing!

Feel like a massage? No problem, Pepe and Speedy will arrange it for you. You can have your massage in a private area, outdoors, looking over the ocean, or privately in a palapa.

The service from Pepe, Patricia, Juan, Patricia and Pepe is top notch. They will take care of you!

I can't wait for next year!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Mexico City
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We had a great time at Pepe’s. The service, the food, the margaritas, the place… everything was just perfect… We just loved every little detail and every little thing at Pepe’s. Speedy, his son and the rest of the staff are great people. Pepe has a privileged little estate that has a beautiful view to the Pacific Ocean.

The fruit is extremely good, the shrimp, everything!!! Dinner is served at 6:00 pm and is served on a table with the rest of the guests attending too. There is no menu, but they cook whatever te fresh catch of the day is or what the guests ask for. A very personal experience.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JERomeroR
Woodinville, Washington
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We have a tradition of visiting Mexico over US Thanksgiving to get some sun and grilled octopus [pulpo]. Found this 'everything included' gem on a travel website and then checked TripAdvisor ratings which were great. We were the only guests for most of the week, in room #3 [cantilevered over the surf]. Had dinner every evening with Pepe who is a fascinating story teller.The location is drop dead gorgeous, safe and quiet. Pepe's is the only hotel inside the gated area of La Punta, which has spectacular houses to walk around and look at. A nice pool to lie by, with a pitcher of frozen margaritas in the freezer always available. Each room has a small fridge as well with beers, sodas and water. The local beach [over the hill] is quite nice and quiet. We were asked every day what we wanted for lunch/dinner, and I got to go shopping several times with Speedy to the Santiago mercado for fresh food. We had a traditional turkey dinner on Thursday with about 16 of Pepe's friends [all characters] but then Speedy surpassed himself on Friday with grilled pulpo/ steak and mahimahi. Speedy also provided daily transportation for our scuba diving adventures. There are 3 dachshunds on the property who are shameless for attention. The only negative was the rather ferocious mosquitos at dinner [remnants of a wet spell] which were manageable with the provided fans at night.

Room Tip: If you have difficulty with stairs, make sure to tell them. Rooms 2 & 3 are down steep stairs. R...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple