“Once in a lifetime-” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 53 Hotels in Manzanillo
Seattle, Washington
“Once in a lifetime-”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Words can not begin to describe this resort. Resort to me always sounds pretentious but that is not the case here. If I could use one word to describe this place it would be relaxing. The reason? The ocean. Not a calm and peaceful ocean- but the one in all it's glory! Waves crashing right outside the cabana's, tides coming in and out, fisherman diving in front of resort for their morning's catch.
We slept with the doors open. Ceiling fans, thatched roofs. Comfortable bed. The ocean calling every day and every night.
The staff A+. Speedy with his incredible cooking skills, his son Juan always with a smile on his face and willing to help.
And there is Pepe - always willing to ask about your day, offering ideas and suggestions on things to see. He is at the dinner table most nights and so much fun and what a life that guy has had.
There are birds, there are tiny lizards scampering on the pathways when you walk.
The food, amazing. And we are good cooks! Every morning Speedy brought coffee to us on our patio as we sat and watched the ocean.
All I can say is, just go. Don't' wait to experience this place. I have traveled to many countries and stayed in many wonderful places. But this place above all calls me back- it was built as a labor of love and it shows.
I am dreaming of our next visit - not soon enough.

Room Tip: We stayed in #3- LOVED IT.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

My wife and I joined Pepe for three days on a Honeymoon trip from Queretaro to Manzanillo to Puerto Vallarta. Arriving at Pepe's is like being welcomed by family, and the stay was unlike any other lodging or resort experience we've had before. Personal attention is the benefit of this approach, Pepe the owner joins you at group dinner nightly and by the end of the stay, he knows you personally and you will be anticipating his adorable dachshunds to greet you in the morning. The food was excellent, drinks plentiful, weather immaculate, staff bent over backwards for us. My wife and I went on long walks through the gated neighborhood where this is located, spent time at the beach, and climbed along the rocky shore at the base of the resort area. Staying here will certainly be memorable and unique experience, and you will likely leave counting yourself as one of Pepe's long list of friends who have made this resort their destination over the years.

Room Tip: Rooms 2, 3, 4 all have great oceanfront views. Room 4 has a door right in front of the pool meaning...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nathan B
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

My husband and I went to pepes for our honeymoon, our expectations were met not only the staff were so wonderful the food was amazing and not to mention the scenery and very private. Cant say enough about this place you will need to experience it yourself.

Ren and Mathew Senger

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ren S
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

My three teenagers and I spent Spring Break at Pepe's and had a very enjoyable and adventurous time. Though there is not a lot to do in the area, we took full advantage of the beautiful, private tennis club just outside of Pepe's and visited the beach club daily (just a short 10 minute walk -- and a gorgeous walk past amazing private homes). Use of the tennis club and beach club are included with Pepe's accommodations; lessons with the pro are extra but reasonable.

Speedy and his crew were excellent and the food was outstanding. We loved the breakfasts, made-to-order, and lunch was always a Mexican specialty (amazing homemade guacamole, quesadillas, fajitas, etc.) Juan delivered lunch to us at the beach on a couple of the days which was a real treat. Speedy also went out of his way to help us locate kayaks and paddleboards for rent, to take us to the market, etc. Everyone worked hard to accommodate all of our requests.

The bungalows are quaint and open-air. They are more rustic and tropical than the surrounding homes in the private neighborhood of La Punta. Note that they do not have locks. Security was absolutely not a problem, but visitors might want to be aware of this ahead of time. We were actually very pleased with the safety of the area.

We loved the monkeys, the little dogs, the birds & dinner with Pepe at the helm. Dinners each night were with all guests at one table and we enjoyed listening to Pepe's stories. We also enjoyed meeting the other guests.

My teens felt the visit to Pepe's was a big adventure. I would also recommend bringing games and books along for quiet days.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarah B
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

My first vacation to Pepe's was 1985. I have returned 20 times. Why?
Simply, Pepe provides the most beautiful, relaxing & fun filled vacation spot, period!
The food & service are outstanding. It is a short walk to tennis, golf, boating & of course the beach.
The private authentic casitas are ideally suited for a romantic getaway with sunsets to die for ! Pepe's conversely offers an ideal destination for friend & business groups.
Pepe's Hideaway is the culmination of the founder's dreams.
Experience you own dream vacation - at Pepe's Hideaway !

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Robert K
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

We hadn't even gotten to our room before "chillin" with a tasty appetizer and margarita under the open air thatched roof. Our comfortable Pacific Ocean view private cabana was the next stop. We enjoyed warm hospitality, fresh tasty food, dramatic sunsets, refreshments by the pool and walks to the Beach Club for a swim and play in the sand. We went on a snorkleing excursion to nearby reefs and a 60 year old shipwreck... very cool. We enjoyed the laid back, tropical atmosphere (lush landscaping) and plan to return to Pepe's!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Guernehead
nottin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

From the moment I walked onto the property I knew this place was really special. The landscaping and the flowers and the palm trees were stunning!!!! I was walking into a beautiful jungle paradise! The colors of everything was amazing. The stone path leading to the bungalows just added to the fairybook-like feel of this place. The stone path that was canopied by palm trees continued to the pool area. This place literally took my breath away. My bungalow was #3 ocean front. The inside was simple and uncluttered and clean. The palapa roof is magnificent! There is no air cond. but there is no need because of the wonderful constant breeze coming off of the ocean. Even if there was air cond I wouldn't have needed to use it. There are no TV's or clock radios or any other electronic distractions in the rooms. My "music" was hearing the ocean 24/7. I cannot get enough of it! There is a seating area on the balcony where the sunsets are stunning! The hammock is awesome and there is a pot of coffee waiting for me every morning on my balcony.

The only thing that took some time (maybe 2 days) to get used to were the mosquitoes. They tend to be pretty fierce, but Pepe provides 2 big floor fans to keep them away when sleeping and there is a stock pile of bug repellent and citronella candles in the room to keep them away. After all, you are in the jungle, so you'll just have to deal with it :) I didn't mind, b/c the scenery and everything else made it well worth it.

You are served breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! Fresh and so so so flavorful. The marguaritas are a specialty here and you just won't find any better anywhere! They are available 24-7 in the freezer by the pool :)

There is wi-fi everywhere on the property which was a "must have" for me because I had to work while i was here.

Pepe, the owner, is a lovely, lovely man who really takes care of his guests. I traveled solo and he quickly became a true friend. He was like another grandfather to me and he made sure I lacked for nothing. This place is very very safe for female solo travelers. I never locked my doors and they've never had an incident of theft ever in the 35/40 years they've been here.

This place is meant to be a place of refuge and relaxation. There are no children allowed and respectful behavior of everyone is encouraged and enforced. For example, leave your cell phone in your room for all meals! :)

I will always be coming back here when I need to just decompress and unwind. I stayed 7 nights but wished I could have stayed 7 months or forever :) I'm still trying to convince Pepe to let me rent this bungalow for a month at a time ...

Room Tip: Bungalow 3 is the best view and the most quiet if you like to be away from the pool area.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo