“great views.......inconvenient location if not travelling by car”

Hotel Villas Los Angeles
Ranked #7 of 53 Hotels in Manzanillo
Vancouver, Canada
“great views.......inconvenient location if not travelling by car”
Reviewed 2 December 2010

a 10-15min walk to one small beach ("audiencia") dominated by an all-inclusive hotel.but drive,bus ,or taxi to restaurants,stores and other beaches. nice management, but this place is 20 years old, tired, and in nee..d of a major upgrade.... R@K ...canada

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 12 July 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed her in early April and had never been to Manzanillo prior to this trip. We looked at a few different properties and decided on Villa Los Angeles after seeing a lot of other positive reviews and having very timely and responsive email correspondence in our decision process.

The hotel sits up on a hill offering amazing views on two sides of the water. Although not right on the beach, there is a great breeze that keeps things comfortable and the pool was in great shape our entire trip. The one challenge about the location is there isn't a lot of food options in the immediate vicinity, however a reasonable walk or a quick and cheap cab ride were easy enough to take care of our food options. The room we stayed in had a full kitchen so we were also able to eat a few meals in our villa. You should also know this isn't a big fancy resort with all that comes with that, it is small, good for families, and not overly crowded.

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left the managers were there to answer any questions and make our trip as comfortable as possible. Having never been to Manzanillo before, I had a ton of questions, and they never seem put out by me always asking about different food options, different recreation options, shopping, etc... The hotel was also good about trying to send us to places where the staff spoke English. Although I speak some Spanish, my girlfriend was comfortable going to places where she could also speak with the waiters.

Story: I had the misfortune of getting what I later found out to be bronchitis basically the first day I got to Mexico, likely something that I had just contracted right before leaving the states and hitting me within the first 24 hours of my vacation. I had a fever of ~103F the 2nd night and thought I would have to go home. It took me a little while to realize I was sick as I was and when I finally figured out I needed some help and likely some medication, I realized how lucky I was to be staying at Villa Los Angeles. When I told Michel (the manager) what was going on and that I needed some advice on a pharmacy or otherwise, he said he could get me in to see a doctor, at 7pm at night. Well, he actually drove me to the doctor in his car, waited for me to get in, drove me to the pharmacia to get a prescription and brought me back to the hotel, almost 2.5 hours of his precious time! He saved my vacation. To top it off, I bought a huge word carving later in the week and he helped me package it up for the plane ride home. By the end of the vacation I felt like I had a new friend in Mexico.

Bottom line, if you don't need a 5-star resort (and be careful because some of these are over-rated) and you want a smaller hotel, with a friendly staff, don't mind walking 15-20 minutes here or there, Villa Los Angeles can't be beat.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 May 2010

Great hotel, clean, the personnel is very friendly and helpful. The view is awesome. If you're going for a real break this is the place, quiet and beautiful.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2010

The hotel is very clean and the staff are amazing. They will help you in anyway (restaurant recommendations, car rental agencies). The hotel owners speak english, french and spanish!

The hotel rooms are very clean, great showers, daily towel service, provide you with bottled water and the views are breathtaking. The pool is very clean and is great for small children.

The hotel is located at the top of a mountain, 10min walk to a local beach, close to downtown Manzanillo.

The cost is reasonable. You cannot go wrong with staying at Hotel Villas Los Angeles.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Devils30
collingwood
Reviewed 17 April 2010

We stayed at Villas Los Angeles for the month and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The hotel is just the right size so you feel more at home than with a larger one. The accomodation is bright , cheery and well maintained and the staff are the best, bar none. The owners, Michel and Patricia are very accomodating and go out of their way to make things perfect. The central location was ideal for us and we walked everywhere although a taxi up the hill with groceries was welcome. We are planning to return for Jan and Feb of 2011. Highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed 11 April 2010

My teenaged daughter and I stayed for a week. Each day we were there we loved the hotel more. Returning to the hotel each day after our activities was always a breath of fresh air. It's clean, nice architectural details, very friendly owners, beautiful setting without being ostentatious. The hotel sits high up on a hill and has gorgeous views.
Tips: easy and cheap to taxi everywhere, remember the hotel doesn't serve food, but has kitchens or kitchenettes - you'll want to get some snacks/water/coffee/breakfast food when you first get there. There are bar-b-q's by the pool so find some fish and cook a simple meal at the hotel. Enjoy the sunset while you eat!

Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 4 April 2010

We found Villa Los Angeles from great online reviews and were completely satisfied by our research; it is a fabulous place. It is an amazing hotel with fabulous views, a beautiful pool, great service and wonderful hosts. Manzanillo is our favorite place in Mexico to explore and when we return we will stay at Villas Los Angeles again to relax between exploring wonderful beaches and historical geography. The hotel is on a hill above Santiago Bay and the changing light from the view will take your breath away at any time of day, especially the amazing sunsets. Thank you to our wonderful hosts Michel & Patricia.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple