“Great stay. Beautiful beach beautiful views”

Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
Ranked #11 of 79 Hotels in Mazatlan
Calgary, Canada
“Great stay. Beautiful beach beautiful views”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Really good time at the riu.
Have just returned after a week with my girlfriend.
Had a great stay was a great hotel, clean beyond expectations. Had a great room, the ocean view was spectacular. Had a lot of fun. Drinks certainly not watered down, though cheapen out on the ingredients, I think is a fair summary on them. Never had a bad meal.
Bamboo restaurant was fun. A great thanks to Gerado for making it exceptional.
The comments on here regarding the beds are accurate, they are terrible. Like sleeping on a rock. Honestly the only downside to this hotel is the beds, no idea what they were thinking?! I didn't sleep well for the week I was there, having back injury really made it bad.
I must say that a special mention must go to Pedro the server. Wow! This guy works so hard and made every meal so pleasant and leaving with a smile. A joy to wake up to. I would say that not seeing many people tip these workers is wrong, it may be all inclusive but they work hard for you and appreciation is key. I would see them there working dinner shift till 10 or later then the next morning back in at 5:30. So tip what you can!
I got to say that if you can book with other people than sunwing or signature do it. They were not good to deal with, their entire motto is sell as much crap to you as possible, being seen as an atm is wrong. Especially a younger woman named Rosario or rosaria at the desk for CNT a division of sunwing I guess, she was not only unhelpful but nasty and rude! Few tips would be do not buy into the crap tours sunwing push on you! They are jacked up prices and awful we did the deer island tour and it was a shocker! Although we met and had fun with a great couple of girls from ontario and a guy from edmonton that saved the tour! Food was so bland and the snorkelling was such a joke along with the banana boat ride behind a beat out old fishing boat haha the highlight is the trip there and back was fun.
I would certainly recommend this hotel, I would return in a heartbeat, If..I didn't have to go through sunwing and had assurance that I would have a decent bed/they updated the beds.
Also the town and area of Mazatlan Is incredible!

Room Tip: Maybe inquire if room with softer bed available?
5 Thank travl4workwork2travl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (873)
Northen Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Just got back from our trip to Mazatlan.
Sunwing - not much to say about that - the flight was decent from Vancouver - the plan is out dated and you are cramped in the seats - the staff was very nice and helped if needed.

Arriving in Mazatlan was fairly easy - passport and immigration went fast --- Watch out when you pass immigration there are "reps" standing there trying to get you to take hotel/condo tours -- avoid them your reps will be a bit past that area they will have signs

The bus ride to the Riu was about 35 min or so - no beers on the bus like other rides we have done but no problems.

Check in - mostly done on the bus - done very fast maybe 30 minutes.

The hotel is very impressive and one of the cleanest places ever seen.

The Rooms
--All the rooms are ocean view! and gorgeous - liquor in the room and a stocked fridge good beer and mid quality booze - but other then a beer on the deck at the end of the day or getting ready to go eat spent no time in the room. Good clean bathroom and good water pressure. The bed is okay and the pillows are alright - to each their own -I didn't mind but my wife did not like either too much - We tipped a few $ and had towel animal 5 of the 7 days or friends also tipped but didn't get a single creature.

Elevators -
lots of complaints on TA about the elevators - we didn't have any major issues we were on the 5th floor so often would walk but when we did use them they were no different then any other major large hotel I've been too, and honestly on vacation there was no rush

The pools
didn't spend too much time by the pools - swim up bar was full but quick for us to get our drinks (Jesus and Edwardo) were great made us all sorts of drinks
The beach was great - good size waves - red flags up each day but that didn't stop anyone - i would suggest being a okay swimmer if you venture into the wave breaks
down side for me was there was never any body boards available at the sports desk - people would sign them out and keep them all day --we asked a few kids if we could use them and they let us and just gave them back after - there should be more or IF YOU SIGN IT OUT BRING IT BACK - there is no way you spent hours boy boarding!

Weather-
FANTASTIC I think we may have seen 1 cloud

We had a splash room - so got a few free passes to the water park across the street - 5 min walk - it was good for the 3 slides that were open -I would not pay to go there unless you get it as part of the room deal --- that said the kid area looked fun for younger children there is lots of shade in the park

The staff were great - i wouldn't be working as hard as they do for 57 pesos a day. (a few $ helps them out greatly that said never felt like we had to tip - we did for the good service and laughs)

The Cons
When the hotel is full - took while to get to some items in the buffet and was a bit loud - minor annoyance on a few occasions
The a la cartes - same as the buffets- nothing there that wasn't at the buffet - it was quieter though :) the best was the Mexican one (Tobasco)

That is about it
The entertainment -- I think they try hard - it was not great.

Lastly -- -- Go to the restaurant at the end of the beach -"Lionso" GREAT food great prices! the ice is not Mexican water and can have in your drink - - read the reviews for there but it was the best meal we had.

We got this resort at a good price online and in the past have paid quite a bit more for a lot less. I would go back here!

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view -- and great ocean views. EVERY ROOM
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank 82Sunseeker82
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Beautiful place , service excellent, clean,people very helpful but the night club was horrible. It is an imbarestment to the dance world. Seriously tecno all night long. Another guest said if you do North American Pow Wow Dance, it works...sick!!

Room Tip: we had honeymoon suite, all rooms are great and of course higher, better view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dancewithwaves2014
cleveland
Reviewed 20 March 2014

i have been to over 30 all-inclusives, this is one of the best overall. people do a lot of complaining, but at the riu emerald bay there is really nothing to complain about. there is NOT a wait for elevators, they do NOT '' water down'' drinks. i saw them open new bottles and you can get as much or little alcohol as you want. yes there are more mexicans on the weekend, hey it's their country and they like to take their families on vacation too. and yes there are vendors on the beach, behind a rope, but they are trying to make a living also. we talked to and bought many things off of them. some of the nicest people you will ever meet. the food at the buffet is the best ever at an all - inclusive. they cook right in front of you, so it is fresh. when you leave the buffet they thank you for coming.... the whole resort is SPOTLESS, they are ALWAYS cleaning. pools were cleaned every morning and you could always get a chair. and the weather is perfect....SUNNY everyday!!!!!! if you don't fall in love with this place. i don't no what to tell you.nothing is perfect, but this is about as close as it gets. so to all the complainers out there, if the riu does not make you happy, nothing will.......STAY HOME!!! WE WILL BE BACK!!!!!!

19 Thank ClevelandMojito
Leduc
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This is the first Riu I've stayed at and I do have some minor concerns about it. The rooms are large with big washrooms, all facing the ocean which is really nice. The decks are a nice touch. There are a number of pools with lots of lounges around them. The beach goes on forever , super for walking. The staff are very friendly and do their best to help you out. The Sports Bar has a great bartender from 3:00 to 11:00 (Luis). Very pleasant and great sense of humour. There are 3 ala cartes - Italian, Asian and Mexican. The Mexican is the only one that is not a buffet. I really enjoyed the food there. The Asian had great sushi and the Italian was nothing special. The one disappointment (concern) I had with the resort was the buffets. They were the same every breakfast, lunch and dinner. They really didn't change them up or have true theme nights. Food got a little boring. I would stay there again, but the price would have to be very very good. I would highly recommend not going to Mazatlan during Carnival, way too crowded and resort gets very noisy, day and night.

Room Tip: First off, I gave a review for room service - There is none. I was on the 4th floor which was good...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank momzeeLeduc
Pickering, Canada
Reviewed 19 March 2014

WHAT A GREAT RESORT!

We just got back March 18, 2014. One week at the Emerald Riu. We where a large group of 10 with 2 teenagers. Don't listen or believe any complaints. This is the cleanest resort I have ever been to in my 30 plus years of traveling. The staff is cleaning daily minute by minute incredible !!! The food was great! The ocean view and sunset from your room is spectacular!! Go to the hut restaurants on the beach great lobster, shrimp and oysters, very cheap !! Alonso was amazing he escorted us on his lunch break to the near by market also had one of his staff members take us to signor frogs for St Patrick Day ! The entire staff was very friendly and very helpful! Don't forget to tip they deserve it!! We can't wait to go back !!

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank josie g
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We travelled to Mazatlan in the first week of March and stayed at the Riu Emerald Bay. The resort, according to the local cab drivers, is only two years old and it is certainly beautiful. The lobby, the rooms, and the pool areas are top notch. There are loads of lounge chairs around the four or five pool areas, so you don't need to stake your claim early like you do at some other resorts to find a place to spend the day. All rooms are ocean view, so if you pay extra for the ocean view like we did, well... I'm not sure what we really paid for...

The bars are numerous and are supported by little booze carts that are moved around the pool areas. The liquor, like in many other resorts, is hopelessly watered down. I am not sure what the resorts think they are saving by doing this. I hope it is an effor to avoid having too many of their guests running around drunk instead of saving a buck, but I have my doubts. I saw many guests bringing in outside beer or hard liquor to get a little kick in their drinks. Personally I had about a dozen shots of watered down tequila one night in between other drinks and never did feel a thing.

The biggest disappointment was the food. When we researched this resort there were a lot of reviewers saying the food was terrible, and surprisingly an equal number that found it really good. I can tell you that it is generally bland, unseasoned nasty food that is not worth wasting your time on. There is one exception however. The Mexican ala carte is fantastic! I highly recomend it. We ate there twice. It is also the only one of the three ala carte restaurants that is actually ala carte. The other two are indeed buffet. We ate at the Italian ala carte twice. The first time they had a really nice blue cheese in the salad bar and I was able to cobble together a reallty nice salad. The next time the blue cheese was gone and so was any hope for pulling a good experience out of this restaurant. The rest of the food in the Italian was bland, including the nastiest risoto I have experienced. You can't leave risoto sitting in a buffet hot plate guys!!! The asian ala carte was bizzare and horrible. The night we went there we actually had a few bites and went to the main buffet to find something edible. Another huge criticism of the ala cartes is the fact that you have to book to go to them. With the exception of the Mexican restarant, there were few people in these and they should have just been first come first serve. The main buffet was ok. They had these incredibly thin cuts of beef that they called New York steak, but they were nicely seasoned and were tolerable at times. They usually had a nice soup and you can always put together some kind of green leaf salad at these places if you try hard enough. The breakfast egg lady is always my favorite and I don't stray far from what works in the mornings. They only had bacon 3 days out of the 7 that we ate breakfast here. How does a resort run out of bacon??? Plan ahead people! Enough on food. Go to Mr. Lionso's up the beach for some good sea food (we went twice) or to Fat Fish in the Golden Zone for the best ribs I have eaten in this lifetime.

The Wi-Fi situation was good. There was 90 minutes of free Wi-Fi in the lobby area every day. It was not a great connection, but it was good enough to Facetime our kids back home. Nicely done Riu!

The elevators are as bad as everyone is saying. Try to avoid them at peak times. Just saying...

The rooms were nice and our cleaning staff gave us nice towel animals the first four days. We were very greatful for this, and it added to our experience. Then on the fifth day, no towel animal. Then on the sixth day they took away all the towel animals they provided previously. I am not sure what happened here, but it did affect the tip we left when we left. The rooms were kept very tidy, and our only wish would be for them to sweep the floors, which seems to accumulate some sand, no matter how hard we tried to avoid it.

The staff in general was great. My only complaint is that the locals do not stand in lines at all. They will push to the front of any situation you can think of. And if there is a Mexican and a non-Mexican standing side by side the Mexican will be served first EVERY SINGLE TIME. This was very frustrating.

The beaches in Mexico are all public. The resort has a rope strung accross the end of their property line, and basically if you cross the line the beach vendors are on you like a dirty shirt. This is standard anywhere I have been vacationing, and is not an issue, but something to be aware of. Nearly every day we were there, a brass band would move up to the edge of the ropes and start to play very noisily and very badly at around 4 PM. They would drown out anything that was going on at the resort, and when they showed up people would start moving back from the beach in droves. I don't see any way that the resort could control this, but again it is something people should be aware of before you book into this resort.

What else can I tell you? Check in was very quick and painless. The front desk staff are great. The Sunwing staff are incredible. Props to Johnny who helped us out on many occasions.

My review may seem excessively negative, and for that I do appologize. But when you go all inclusive, you are really looking for three things: 1) a nice resort with nice rooms, pools and bars, 2) not having to leave the resort to get a good drink and party a little, and 3) good food. Riu Emerald Bay only hits one of these criteria. Oh, and if you want to leave the resort to find some nightlife, Riu Emerald Bay is far away from the action. About a thirty dollar cab ride to where the cliff divers are.

Room Tip: Try about the third floor and then you can walk up to avoid the elevator fiasco???
4 Thank Xuthl