“Loved it!!”

Ranked #11 of 78 Hotels in Mazatlan
Salem, Oregon
“Loved it!!”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My husband and I visited from April 23-28th and had a great time! We met the funnest Canadians and had a BLAST every night with them. We walked to Lionso's for dinner the 2nd night and my plate was disappointing as it tasted dirty... I think they misunderstood me and did not put any garlic or seasonings on my lobster or shrimp.. Everyone else who had dinner there loved it!! Brujas beach was awesome (about 3 blocks from hotel) Tonzz of locals and oysters, vendors on the beach. Back to the Riu~ never got tired of the food, so much to choose from! Only went to the Asian a la carte and it was pretty tasty. Room was clean, on the 14th floor~ AWESOME view and breathtaking sunsets every night. Vendors on beach were annoying but you ignore em after an hour or two. Beach is rough but fun to play in and as for the locals, they were wonderful!! Don't have any complaints except I wish the restrooms were a little closer to the pool bar! Awesome check in and check out, no credit/debit card required, LOVED IT!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ahamlin1972

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (877)
alberta beach, alberta,canada
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Food and entertainment were great. We enjoyed our vacation very much but to call this resort a five star is misleading.
Little things like not providing soaps and shampoos, the mini fridge not being refilled and the room we booked being unavailable.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank teresa_dav
Alberta
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I traveled to the RIU Emerald Bay April 25-May 2 2014 through sunwing Vacations via Edmonton.

This being my third trip to Mazatlan in the past 6 years I had some previous experience as to the resort and it's location, yet I realized I had truly found a gem on Emerald Bay. So much has been said about the cleanliness of the resort, and yes it is true. The staff are always busy going somewhere or cleaning something, and doing it with a smile. The room I was in on the sixteenth floor was almost too nice for me. large bathroom, great shower with excellent water pressure and all the towels a single traveller could ask for. The 4 bottle liquor dispenser was never used but the well stocked mini fridge came in handy.

The in-room safe was large and easy to use, and everything else in the room worked as expected. the terrace offered a great ocean view, and actually seemed very serene. The bed was firm but not uncomfortable, and was often decorated with towel animals from the maid, (tip these ladies, they deserve it).

Food- many choices here, i never took part in the ala carte offerings, I found the buffet to be the best i have ever been to, so many choices, and almost all of the food was excellent, lower lobby snack area breakfast was quick and convenient, as it was for a mid afternoon burger, hot dog or nachos. I have never travelled off site a resort for a meal while on an all-inclusive plan, but was talked into visiting the Last Drop restraunt just north of the RIU. Great little place for a great big burger, some playoff hockey, and friendly atmosphere.

Beverages-I really only drink beer, so not much complaint here, the beer is Dos-Eqiis on tap, and is fine. the bartenders at the bar outside the stage show area are great, attentive, smiling, and deserve their tips.

Pool and Beach area- I am a beach person, and it is large and clean, roped off from vendors and it does have somewhat of an escape route from the vendors if one chooses not to deal with them, the pools looked clean and large, just not my thing.

with all positives a few negatives have to fall in line as well. However theses are mostly un-related to the resort itself. The only actual resort issue I have is with the elevators. These things are in constant use and suffer from poor planning during actual engineering and design of the resort. Sometimes the wait for a elevator car was well into 8-10 minutes, simply put, just not enough of the things, but too late the place is built around them. My last real complaint is the general poorly behaved Mexican children, unreal. They rush elavator cars when loading/unloading, run amok, barge into food lines. again, not the hotel's problem, just something that I noticed.

after much consideration I would gladly stay at this resort again, but I am kind of looking forward to trying another RIU resort in a different location, just to see how they compare. The RIU Emerald Bay really made this an enjoyable holiday. I met many nice people from Canada, The USA, and Mexico, and most if not all seemed to speak very highly of their experiences there as well.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank lathe-dog
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 6 May 2014

7 of us stayed from March 15-25th. The staff was awesome. We befriended Jesus the bartender, Raphael in the main dining, and Pancho from the entertainment staff, etc... I didn't do any excursions, however, I did have a massage and we got a deal on it too. I think it was called Nova (it was a mix of everything), and it was very relaxing. This was the cleanest hotel/resort I've been too. There is ALWAYS someone cleaning. Everyday there were events by the pool side. Water polo for the kids, water "aerobics" for all ages, zumba, and bingo. I didn't like the drinks so much - but that's expected for an all inclusive. I stick to the no sugar mojitos and irish coffees from the sports bar. Every night there was entertainment on stage. I personally was not crazy about it, the one good one was when they danced to Michael Jackson. They also did like a pre show for the kids at 8, which the kids seemed to like. All the bright coloured lights, mexican children's music, and random characters make you feel like you are in Alice and Wonderland. As for the food, we found it was better food in the main dining and you could find foods from the other restaurants there as well. The burgers outside were good. Ribs were great. And they have potato wedges! We brought our own ketchup for breakfast, because they have "catsup", and it's just not the same lol. Weather was perfect. Beach is nice, but watch out for horse poo. Overall, if you haven't been to Mexico I would say it's worth your time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Kristina T
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My cousin and I stayed at Hotel RIU for one week in late April. The staff was incredibly friendly and the resort was extremely clean. There were plenty of activities and entertainment within the resort. I would strongly recommend Hotel RIU.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We have stayed at this hotel from April 18-25, 2014 and overall really enjoyed the stay and would definitely consider coming back.

The "Pluses":
1. Service was exceptional - from the arrival and checking in, to restaurants (we never once had to wait for a waiter to get us drinks or change our plates), to room cleaning, etc. We befriended a waiter named Rafael in the main buffet who made sure we had absolutely the best experience every time we came by.
2. The amenities - Good variety of bars and pools and we never had to fight over a lounge chair.
3. Rooms - all the rooms face the ocean and have the best all-you-can-drink bar!
4. Location - perfect if you want to be a little more secluded from the main hotel strip - Riu is last on the "block" and the you could walk on the beach for hours
5. Entertainment - excellent shows and animator team. activities were well organized.

The "Minuses":
1. No fans in the room's bathrooms - make sure you bring an air freshener or a poo-pourri.
2. The elevators could get very busy and humid/hot - especially around meal times and around show times at night. We had to take stairs on more than one occasion - so see if you could a room on a lower level.
3. The a-la-carte dinners were a little strange because both Bamboo and Italian restaurants were no different from regular buffets. We were specifically disappointed in Bamboo because the service and food quality there were worse than in main dining. The simple truth is - don't bother expecting a decent Asian meal in Mexico. The Mexican a-la-carte restaurant was the best of the three but overall, we still preferred the variety of the main buffet.
4. Bring your own shampoo/conditioner - they only provided us with a soap and body wash
5. Internet in the lobby doesnt work very well and while they tell you that you will have 90 minutes a day, that still means only one log-in a day per device.

some additional comments about the area and things to do:
- we took a public bus to go to the lighthouse which was an interesting experience but an open-top taxi ride back was more refreshing in the heat and also much much faster, the view from the lighthouse is pretty good but the hike could be painful in the hot weather. bring water.

- going to a Waterpark across the street from the hotel was a big mistake. Half of the rides were not open and after going down the very first ride which was not even the "scariest" one out there, I flipped upon entering the pool and hit my head on the cement bottom as the depth of the pool was only knee-deep. We had to leave immediately to see a doctor, but it really made me wonder about the overall safety and quality of the other rides in that park. to stay safe - avoid it or bring a helmet.

- we went on an excursion to the Deer Island (snorkeling, banana boat riding, bbq) with Sunwing and while it was not bad, we would not do it again or recommend it to anyone else. it just was not worth the money. snorkeling sucked - there was not much to see at all. bbq took forever to be prepared, so we basically killed half a day on a different beach but had to pay $70 for that... would have been better off at the hotel.

- if you will decide to go for a free photoshoot at the hotel - keep in mind that there will probably be 4 other couples doing it at the same time with you... we still ended up buying a few photos but overall the experience did not feel very personable. same poses, and rushed...

Room Tip: all the rooms face the ocean but if you do not want to get stuck waiting for an elevator and having...