“GREAT PLACE, GREAT HOTEL BUT DEFINTELY SUPER DUPER SERVICE!!”

Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
Ranked #11 of 79 Hotels in Mazatlan
Reviewed 14 July 2014

First of all I'd like to say we had a terrible experience at other RIU, but we decided to give it another shot and try different location.
THANK GOD!!! RIU Emmerald Bay is awesome, everything is great 100% family oriented fun, great location, great food and most important GREAT PEOPLE!!!
I'd like to personally thank all the personal. I will definitely recommend this place and will try to come back soon.
Thanks RIU for changing our perception.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Ricardo R
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Emerald Bay

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

I visited the hotel last week and everything was awesome! I wish my room would've been cleaner than it was though, but it was ok. There is a waiter called Anselmo, at the main restaurant, he is the best!!! He made us feel important and helped us every time, even do we were not at his "area", congrats for having such great people!
On the other hand the guys at the pool bar are not that polite... some times it seems they are pretty exhausted and they just ignore you... besides that, the hotel is great! This was our second time in and we will be back ☺

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank sandra F
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I vacationed here in January. It was his first out of country vacation so I wanted to pick a good hotel for a good first impression of Mexico. We LOVED it. All the rooms having ocean view was such a beautiful treat, spectacular view. Food was pretty good (although we did have to bring our own ketchup haha.) and drinks were great to. We loved the little mini bar in our room. It is a big resort and we found you do wait a few minutes for your drink orders at times, nothing excessive and was expected. My other stays in different resorts I found the employees much more personable but I'm assuming that this being as big of a resort as it was that the workers probably don't have near as much time to get to know you. However Pancho who was at the lobby bar during our stay was FANTASTIC, best bartender I've had worldwide. And the lady at the sportsbar was absolutely wonderful to. The elevators a little slow and the vendors on the beach were intolerable!! But those are our few complaints. We will be staying here again in the future. Thank you Riu for making my boyfriends first vacation and our first together as a couple so beautiful and enjoyable!

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank _TheVacationers_1523
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We booked this vacation as a last minute package and ended up with a great deal. We were a party of 7 so there were some restrictions as to the type pf room we could be put in. When we reserved our travel agent called the hotel directly to confirm the sleeping arrangements, however when we arrived the room we were given did not include beds for 2 of the kids, which is obviously a problem. The hotel however was quick to offer us a massive room upgrade (we did pay a small reasonable fee) and we ended up with a fantastic room. It was a 2 story, 2 bathroom room located off the main floor. That eliminated most of the elevator problems that people are talking about, however I do agree that when we were required to take them it was a long wait and could have been very frustrating had we been on any of the higher floors. The rooms themselves were clean and modern and the beds were super comfortable. The food was average. It caters to a very Mexican clientele (be prepared to be in the minority if you speak English) so it was fantastic for those of us who love authentic Mexican food. They have a few restaurants to choose from however we found the main one was probably the best. I did find that they didn't label the food particularly well, so there is a lot of trial and error involved.
The true gem about this hotel is the childrens section. It is separated from the rest of the pools and includes a small shallow wading pool, a much larger slighted deeper wading pool with small waterside and large mushroom sprinkler and a small park to the side of the pool in a grassy area. It was perfect for all ages of kids. My 2 year old up to my 11 year old enjoyed the area. And there was plenty of seating. We simply brought a few loungers down from around the main pool area and parked them on a patch of grass under a tree the one day that the chairs were taken under the pergola. There is a daily kids camp as well however my kids did not participate since it seemed to be primarily in Spanish, however I do believe they would have tried it had they found themselves bored. They also have a family friendly show that ran ever night after dinner that my older kids very much enjoyed.
I would definitely return to this resort in the future, however I would be booking the 2 story room off the bat to eliminate the shuffle when we arrived.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is our 5th RIU. I would put it least favorite. Check in-very disorganized, had to find & take our own luggage up. Lobby-HOT-no air conditioning!!! Elevators are horribly inadequate, hot, slow, crowded!!!!!! Apparently the hotel specializes in putting together cheap packages and day passes for the locals, in the summer months. Which wouldn't be a problem except your treated like you don't exist. They are very rude!!! There's no such thing as a "line". They will cut in front of you, whether it be the elevator, food or bar. Watched adults eating food from the buffet with their hands. Absolutely no etiquettes! They come in large groups with tons of kids, which they just let run around unsupervised, while parents sit at the swim up bar. Security does remove the under 18 year olds from the pool bar. They disregard the no smoking signs in the pool. Security had to shut down the pool bar to remove the drunk and disorderly young adults several times. A young girl so drunk, the boys kept removing her swimsuit. Security not even paying attention. We were on the 4th floor and had to call security several times throughout the night because of all the chaos in the hall ways and beating on our door. Do not leave your belongings at your chair! They will just put their things on top of yours. We had our towels taken. A girl actually tried on my friends flip flops right in front of me an was going to steal them. After that we watched her walk around scoping out everyone's belongings. As we were reporting this, We witnessed non-guest coming from the beach into the hotel. People with no wrist bands.
Good price. Staff-great. Rooms-very clean. Food-good, a lot of variety. Alex our taxi driver took us for a great tour of the city!!! Really enjoyed the city & the shopping. Miguel & Jose at the swim up bar " Awesome" actually went out of their way to bring our drinks to us because of all the chaos in the pool one day koodos!!! Although the locals wouldnt move to let you get a drink. Note that we tipped all week. The locals definitely don't tip! The bartenders work their butts off & put up with a lot of crap!!!
We are very easy going people. And love to have a good time. It could be a great RIU other than the local issues. We absolutely love mexico! Its our favorite vacation destination. And this really put a bad taste in our mouth :( So I guess it just depends on what your looking for.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view
Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Cheryl G
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We went back to the Riu in Mazatlan Mx. We have traveled to many of the Riu's but Mazatlan has to be our favorite. When we arrive we are greeted by Dave at the front door each time where we are personally greeted. From there to the front desk and dining room we are always recognized and greeted. It's as though we are royalty. The jacuzzi suite is super. Dining is always a treat. The food is delicious and always good. The pools are also very nice. However if you want something other than the resort food go to Mary's. That will follow in another review.

Room Tip: If you like coca cola bring your own. They have Pepsi.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank David R
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I dont Know where to start, first the elevators were sooo slow, it could take you 20 min to get from the lobby to floor 8th, plus the line that you have to do, and it's so claustrophobic and hot in the damn elevator, the second thing I didn't like the all include that you paid for the restaurant get so crowded that you can't get in and the food is not that good, and the 3rd to check out all the persons in the room have to be present to bring back the bracelet that they give you to have the all include deal if the persons does not show up they won't give you you check out pass which you need to get a can out of the hotel

• Stayed: June 2014