“Lovely Vacation”

Ranked #11 of 79 Hotels in Mazatlan
Seattle, Washington
“Lovely Vacation”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We travelled here in April and had a fabulous time, but we also really like each other and that's important because you will essentially be your own entertainment.

The rooms are nice enough, the decor is pretty standard, almost like a Motel 6 or Holiday Inn Express in the states. That's not to say it is bad, it's just not going to be anything fancy. The beds were comfortable for us, but very firm, which isn't to everyone's taste. The bathrooms are huge and we enjoyed the size of the shower, let's just say that I can guarantee that they will comfortably hold 2. The highlight of the rooms is 1000% the view from teh balcony! It is gorgeous and we took loads of photos of that!

The beach is really nothign to write home about. Beautiful from a distance, but not one for swimming in. Luckily there are several pools which was great because at any point you can find a pool to relax in without a ton of people. Also, you can always find a chair to sit in which is a big complain about most other resorts! However, do not go to the pool with the bar in it if you're looking to relax. The Canadians have it under command at all times and while they were sometimes fun to hang out with, I was mostly glad to see that it isn't just Americans who act a fool while on vacation in another country.

The food was definitely the biggest letdown. The same stuff daily in the buffets grew old quickly since none of it was very good. We ended up just eating a lot of nachos. The thing we noticed lacking the most was dairy. Even the ice cream is FAR more ice than cream. We ended up spending our last few days eating at local restaurants, which was great because my BF adores Mexican food and it was like a religious experience for him to eat authentic Mexican food.

The evening entertainment was fine, but we would usually only watch half a show and then go hang out in the chairs by the pool and enjoy the cooler air at night.

Overall, I would recommend this resort. It is budget friendly, and plenty nice.

Room Tip: The hgiher the floor, the quieter it will be!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Christine S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (873)
Ciudad Juarez, Mexico
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Is a little crowded so if you're looking for somewhere to relax, probably this would not be your hotel. But if you're looking for a spring brake like experience, this is your hotel.
The snacks are everyday the same: burgers, hotdogs, nachos French fries and nuggets, so take that into consideration. Also notable, you'll only have one beer brand (Tecate).
That being said, we really really liked our room, the bed was so comfortable! All rooms are sea view, that's a good one!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank firsttimemom2007
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 28 July 2014

There were so many mixed reviews I was skeptical about going, but will say I was pleasantly surprised. It was hot, with no air conditioning in common areas, but it was Mexico in July, so I was expecting hot. The rooms were nice, nothing fancy, but I didn't travel to Mazatlan to spend time in my hotel room. The air conditioning in the rooms was FABULOUS and was a nice respite from the afternoon sun.

The pool was lovely, there were lots of Mexican Nationals vacationing at this time and it was quite nice actually hearing Spanish while in Mexico. Reserve a deck chair early though! But plenty of shade at the "quiet pool" which didn't end up being super quiet, but head phones and a good book took care of that. David at the pool was a gem at making sure things were clean for us and also had fun teaching us some Spanish and learning some English, too.

The beach is great. Strong waves, but the lifeguards there are on top of watching people and making sure they stay clear of the riptides.

The food was good. I gravitated toward fish tacos and authentic Mexican food, which was always full of flavor and good. Moises in the main dining room Las Tres Isles was wonderful! He always found us the best table and took very good care that all our needs were met.

Not much to comment about at the front desk. The woman who helped me spoke very little English, but when I really needed something from them, I was able to get a manager right away who took care of things promptly and courteously and thoroughly.

Overall, this is not the Ritz, but it was affordable and ended up making for a great location for a great vacation. Always think what you chose to focus on is what your trip becomes, but for our vacation (3 adults and 2 children) it was a great place.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank woodytwoshoes
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Nice resort. No big complaints. The only thing that was a little off was the food. It just got old really fast. By day 5 we were ready to eat someplace else. The front desk staff wasn't super eager to please but not other major complaints.

Room Tip: All rooms were great
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Matson5
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed 14 July 2014

First of all I'd like to say we had a terrible experience at other RIU, but we decided to give it another shot and try different location.
THANK GOD!!! RIU Emmerald Bay is awesome, everything is great 100% family oriented fun, great location, great food and most important GREAT PEOPLE!!!
I'd like to personally thank all the personal. I will definitely recommend this place and will try to come back soon.
Thanks RIU for changing our perception.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Ricardo R
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

I visited the hotel last week and everything was awesome! I wish my room would've been cleaner than it was though, but it was ok. There is a waiter called Anselmo, at the main restaurant, he is the best!!! He made us feel important and helped us every time, even do we were not at his "area", congrats for having such great people!
On the other hand the guys at the pool bar are not that polite... some times it seems they are pretty exhausted and they just ignore you... besides that, the hotel is great! This was our second time in and we will be back ☺

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank sandra F
Edmonton
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I vacationed here in January. It was his first out of country vacation so I wanted to pick a good hotel for a good first impression of Mexico. We LOVED it. All the rooms having ocean view was such a beautiful treat, spectacular view. Food was pretty good (although we did have to bring our own ketchup haha.) and drinks were great to. We loved the little mini bar in our room. It is a big resort and we found you do wait a few minutes for your drink orders at times, nothing excessive and was expected. My other stays in different resorts I found the employees much more personable but I'm assuming that this being as big of a resort as it was that the workers probably don't have near as much time to get to know you. However Pancho who was at the lobby bar during our stay was FANTASTIC, best bartender I've had worldwide. And the lady at the sportsbar was absolutely wonderful to. The elevators a little slow and the vendors on the beach were intolerable!! But those are our few complaints. We will be staying here again in the future. Thank you Riu for making my boyfriends first vacation and our first together as a couple so beautiful and enjoyable!

• Stayed January 2014