“Exactly what we were looking for!”

Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
Ranked #11 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
Reviewed 6 December 2009

We were looking for an all inclusive vacation away from the bustle of the city. This hotel provided everything we were looking for. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed, clean, and most have million dollar views of spectacular sunsets. The food was exellent, the staff friendly, attentive, and very helpful, and the beach and pool areas relaxing and uncrowded. This was the newest hotel with the largest grounds by far of any that we saw during our trip.

If you are looking for hot nightlife or lots of shopping this isn't the place for you, as it is a fair distance from the more touristy areas of Mazatlan, but it is the last property on a wonderful beach with miles of uncrowded sand.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank BritishColumbiaBob

Reviewed 5 December 2009

First time to Mazatlan and first time to a 5* in MX. The resort was very nice, very clean and the rooms were lovely. The only negative I suppose I could say about room is I would have preferred it abit cooler, our air conditioner did not work the best. The people here are FANTASTIC! Very accomodating and I do suggest throwing a few bucks to them and the service becomes even better! Our group of 4 LOVED hitting the Sports Bar at the resort to visit our GREAT/FANTASTIC bartenders--Ishmael and Joel. They are truly the BEST! We nicknamed them "Izzy" and "Joey" and they accomodated us to the fullest extent. I suggest a "Banana Mama" with Vodka, little grenadine. This became our known drink and people we met went in there and asked for the same as we were drinking and they knew exactly how to make. Thumbs up to them. Take a ride down to the Golden Zone if you are Canadian and looking to see some HOCKEY. There is a bar/restaurant called "The Saloon" which is across the street from the Dairy Queen-its abit hidden though so its next to the pizza place. Owner is from Medicine Hat and you can lunch there I recommend the Chicken Club --OMG best food I had there. We watched a couple of hockey games and it was fantastic. Did the zipline which was great too, we recommend the NEW one, there are 2. The guides name was Marco, and he was a real "hoot". Give it a try. Other than that we went to the market and the golden zone, did alot of walking along the seashore, drank like theres no tomorrow and it was a very nice week. Definitely go back!! Don't expect alot in respect to food though because being from Alberta, we truly are spoiled I think when it comes to food. We all felt the food was just O.K and that everything just seemed to taste the same with no pizzazz! DO NOT go to the market downtown if you are hungover------the smell will kill you for sure.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
5  Thank Calgary17
Reviewed 5 December 2009

I selected Mazatlan, Mexico because it was the only destination (warm & sunny) that we (my husband & I ) could fly too for free w/ our freq. flier miles. Since I had never been to Mazatlan before I was torn for almost 2 months on which hotel to pick from. Basically it came down to -do we stay downtown in the 'golden zone' (shopping & eating area) or stay at a very posh/luxury hotel "The Riu at Emerald Bay" (but it's approx. 15-20 minutes away by city bus /golf taxi)? I ended up booking the RIU & was THRILLED that I did! To explain: After 3 days at our hotel I was wanting to see & shop in the 'golden zone' while there I was tempted & stopped in to see the other nice hotel that I almost picked to see if I made a good choice. Let me just say the golden zone is a dump! Even if you pick a nice hotel in that area you will be surrounded by very little security, unsafe environment, poverty, dirtiness, & hustled for money on the street to consistently on the beach. I had anxiety non stop the whole x we were there. I could not relax. We spent from 10-2 pm there & in historic area & was so excited to get out of there to our very nice hotel The Riu at Emerald Bay. Highlights of The Riu: luxury (very clean), security, safety, customer service (I felt overall they were there to please me & my husband), food (loved the salsa), & beach (very clean & has big waves where we could use our boogie boards-which unlike the golden zone there are no waves), there was a roped off area to keep beach hustlers out of the hotel & off our area on the beach where we relax. Bad points of the RIU Hotel: hall ways outside of the rooms echo noise very easily, you have to touch the button on top of the toilet bowl to flush (at a lrg star hotel they should be automatic), tp was rough (later found soft tp at the spa & got it from them), if your a light sleeper we highly recommend to ask for a room on the left side of the building because the right side of the building (when facing hotel from street) is very noisy since the night bar is on that end of the hotel after the 3rd night we requested to move & w/out any question they moved us. It was a huge inconvience to pack all up & to unpack again. We lost 3 hrs of our vacation. I ask the director 'Erica' there if she could accommodate us for the inconvenience & she offered us % discount for next time we come back (I told her I thought that was awful compromise.) I asked for a 50 min. massage and she said no. Spa would not give me a bath towel to use after my shower (I had to go all the way back and up to my room to get one) this was unnecessary and a policy they should change! On over 4 websites including the Riu site it says free scuba diving lesson, kayak, catamaran for all inclusive guest & when we got there they lost their scuba instructor & stopped the kayaks & catamaran due to safety. We were looking forward to this so I made a complaint and the Water sports Director offered me a 50 min. massage and I thought that was nice. Tile floors in rooms are cold (we requested lots of bath towels & made a path in our room to walk on). Omlette station had two women using there bare hands to get the items out of the bowls. I complained and the next day it was fixed by the cooks using spoons--then two days later they were doing it again so I made another complaint and they fixed the problem again. All and All if your going to go to Mazatlan remember it is dirty poor city and if you pick the RIU at Emerald Bay & you will be masked & hidden from the unsanitary, unsafe, & stressful environment and you will have a better & healthier state of mind when you are trying to relax and unwind on your vacation. .

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank smms
Reviewed 4 December 2009

We;ve never been to an all-inclusive resort and went into the experience not expecting too much (drunks, insititutional food, crowds, etc). We were very pleasantly surprised!

The resort itself is gorgeous and being new it's very clean and well maintained. We paid extra for an "Ocean View" room ... shouldn't have bothered as all rooms are ocean view. There are some rooms on the end of the building that they consider "Sea View", however they've got the same exact room and the same gorgeous view as our "Ocean View" room.

The resort is about 20 minutes cab/bus ride to the Gold Coast and another 10 minutes to downtown Mazatlan. We left the resort on a few ocassions, both on our own (shopping, etc) and on organized tours. We felt safe & thoroughly enjoyed the sights of Mazatlan. We also walked the beach a lot ... at the end of the beach (about 10 min walk) there is an awesome lobster restaurant (Mr. Liono's) which has excellent food & 2 for1 drinks (not expensive either). Walking the beach at nite was also safe! The ocean was lots of fun ... the red flag was out every day, but that didn't stop everyone from playing in the waves! Lots of surfing & boogie boarding!

The staff were nothing but friendly & helpful (we made several "friends"). The food was fabulous (nothing institutional about it - the buffet always had different foods, the other 3 restaurants (Asian, Steak & Mexican) were always exceptional!

We went for our daughter's wedding and the Riu staff made this ocassion perfect! From the flowers to the photography to the reception ... everything was first class!

We couldn't have asked for a better vacation!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
6  Thank TravellButterfly
Reviewed 3 December 2009

We just got back from Riu Emerald Bay and our expectations was that we were welcomed and treated well. The food was excellente and the hotel was just beautiful. People,when you are visiting another country,open your mind and go with the flow,enjoy your experience,quit the complaining. We walked the beach daily and were met with only friendly "OLA" everywhere,Mexicans are a happy people,wish I could say the same for most Canadians.
Yes we tipped everyday,we are not rich but considerate,we were treated with respect and we reciprecated ,and really,what is more important than that? When you travel anywhere your responsibility has to go along with you,don't leave it at home.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank bertscafe
Reviewed 26 November 2009

Only stayed at the Riu for one week but thoroughly enjoyed it. What made the trip special was the staff who couldn't do enough for us. We tipped but not overly which is more than I can say for most of the people. We aren't rich but I figure if you can afford to do this trip, do it properly. The people treated everyone well without the $$ but, unfortunately, they aren't paid great wages. Th resort is very clean and the location is great if you don't mind taking the local bus or taxis. The beach is a great stroll. 5 star! Oh yeah, the food was great. We went to the buffet only once and had lamb which was as good as any gourmet restaurant. Ole!

• Stayed: November 2009
10  Thank weddingd
Reviewed 25 November 2009

When planning our trip to Mazatlan the Riu looked like the best place to stay. Several friends and family had stayed at other Riu's and the chain came highly recommended by some pretty picky travelers. It all started with a theft from our room. I would never think to put my sunglasses in a safe as I never buy expensive glasses (these were cheap but I really liked them), our daughter left the ipod on her pillow while we were at breakfast ...everything else was in the safe...thank goodness. We were only gone from our room for 1/2hr and all the items were gone. To say the least I was not a happy camper. This was the beginning of our vacation and needless to say it set the tone....I felt absolutely no obligation to tip anyone after this incident ( all gratuities were supposed to be included). I never received bad service because of my lack of tipping. I can not stress enough to use the safe in the rooms. This whole situation created a fairly stressful vacation as we felt we had to be on guard for everything (even our pool towels). We also saw hotel security selling day passes at the gate to locals adding to the non secure feeling of the resort.

The rooms are average ...and we now know that we prefer condos for our family vacations...one room is just too crowded for a family with a 10 and 12yr old.

The resort pools are lovely and clean. The nightly entertainment was okay... the dancers were quite good but they were the same 8 dancers every night...by the end of the week I knew them. The karoke night was so bad it was funny.

The food was your average buffet fair nothing spectacular and no one got sick. We ate at all the a la carte restaurants and enjoyed the steakhouse the most...the staff even accommodated us for a second night. The kids enjoyed their banana milkshakes and the bartenders remembered their orders whenever they returned for more...which was often!

The beaches are wonderful and we enjoyed many walks along the beaches and watched the sunset every evening. The website says that all non motorized watersports are included but that is only true when there is no red flag on the beach. The red flag never comes down and the resort charged $8/hr for boogie board rental on red flag days...are you kidding me? You also had to pay to use the pool tables in the sports bar. You can not help but feel nickel and dimed.

All in all it was an average vacation that had the potential to be wonderful. Location, building, weather were all great and we enjoyed many outings from the resort with the highlight being the ziplining.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family