“Scary Vacation”

Royal Villas Resort
Ranked #21 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We were looking for a get away in June 2011 and thought we should try Mazatlan as we had heard alot about it, well do not pay attention to everything you hear, Mazatlan is a very dirty and scary place, tramps sleeping on the side walks at night, military trucks with men in full battles gear driving the streets every day, military helicopters over head every day and a battle ship in the bay WHAT is with this place, I would not venture away from my resort after dark. The hotel listed hot tube well the hot tub I have at home is bigger that the one they offered and there is no beach I think youj can better use your money else where STAY AWAY FROM MAZATLAN if you want a good holiday

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Willy13579

Reviewed 27 April 2012

When I returned home from this property in Dec 2011, I didn't want to submit a review because my opinion of the hotel was SO poor, I would have felt guilty writing about my experiences. Enough time has passed, and now I won't feel as guilty telling it like it was.

First of all, I'm an experienced traveler. I've lived abroad and traveled extensively throughout Europe and a bit of Asia. I traveled for 2 weeks in Costa Rica with no itinerary and no advance reservations, taking whatever I found each night. I’ve stayed in everything from a 0 star open door beach hut to 5+ star luxury resorts.

I’ve stayed at 8 tropical all inclusive resorts in the past 10 years, including those in Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Cancun, Mayan Riviera, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, and now Mazatlan.

I'm easy to please and I do not expect things in foreign countries to be like they are back home. I understand that cultures are different, and that I'm the visitor to their country and need to adapt my expectations accordingly.

When I read some of the good reviews about the Royal Villas Resort in Mazatlan, I had to give my head a shake and wonder if it was the same place where I stayed in December 2011.

We arranged our own flights and chose two different hotels for our 10 days in Mazatlan, 5 days at each. The other hotel was a few hundred meters away on the same beach and we stayed there first. It had its good and its not so good, but I'd stay there again because the cheerful, good service made up for the shortcomings.

However, the Royal Villas Resort was in a class of its own during our 5 day stay. I would say that it was the worst all inclusive I've experienced in my life.

The front desk staff was indifferent to their problems and actually lied about how they were handling some issues, like inoperative room air conditioning and a faulty elevator that went to the wrong floor and stalled, every day for our 5 days there. (hint- take the elevator on the right when facing them from the outside). Every day they said they'd fixed the elevator but it still malfunctioned. Regarding the air conditioning, they told us that it was broken in the entire hotel, but a quick check with other guests exposed this lie. They just didn't want to investigate why it wasn't working in our room. We eventually had to pay a bit extra to get a better room, higher up, just to get air conditioning.

The only restaurant in the hotel featured SLOW service, and I mean SLOW. We waited 30 or more minutes for each course to arrive, and then often found the order was wrong and/or poorly prepared. Raw hamburgers anyone? This was a bit beyond my patience level by the third day. A group of 6 from Winnipeg stopped eating here after two days of meal disasters and, even though they'd purchased an all inclusive package, they paid extra to eat elsewhere. I also found it strange that the hotel had filet on the menu, but they were always out of it for all 5 days.

We'd purchased the A1 all inclusive package but the only thing that was A1 was something close to harassment from the bar waiters. Even though our bright orange all inclusive bracelets were visible from 100 meters away, we were required to sign these little chits for everything we ordered, even for a bottle of water. An extra staff member sat behind the bar, dutifully entering all this data into a computer. Talk about Big Brother! When staff went off shift mid day, we had to sign a summary of everything we'd already signed for, and the summary was almost always wrong, containing items we'd never ordered. I wonder who got those things? hmmmm??? I even had a waiter run and chase me to the elevator to sign a summary because he was going off shift and I had to sign the summary before he left for the day.

Whenever I sat at the only bar and ordered a drink from the bartender, he'd call over a waiter, hand my drink to the waiter, who handed it to me and expected a tip. Really?

People who were sitting around the pool could have food delivered to them, but staff would leave the dirty dishes sitting around for hours, walking right past them and ignoring them. OH...it often took hours to receive a simple plate of nachos for lunch.

Our last night at this hotel, we went into the dining room and could find only one table that wasn't cluttered with dirty dishes. During our 2 hour dining 'experience', only one table ever got cleared, even though there were few diners and more than enough staff. We witnessed several guests come into the dining room, look around, and leave.

The rooms were nice, but make sure you stay on the south side, high up, so you're further away from the disco across the street that booms through the night. We had a two room suite, but I had to pull the full size refrigerator out from the wall to get at the electrical plug, so I could plug in the empty fridge that they hadn't stocked.

The single most noticeable thing was that, out of our 5 day stay, only one employee ever smiled, and he was the man who arranged our boat ride to a nearby island. All of the other staff seemed as though they were permanently angry or unhappy. Considering the management, I don't think I can blame them.

There were many other items I could mention here, but this is enough to convey the general gist of my experiences and say beware. I'm the type of person who gives second chances, but there were so many deficiencies here that I won't go back.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room on the south side, as high up as possible, away from heavy smoke and the di...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Gent47
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Just returned from Mazatlan and stayed in jr suite on the 8th floor.
Unfortunately we did not know that Easter week was one of the busiest times as locals flock to the coast. The partying was going on in the streets every night (starting on the WEd) and continued until the police sirens at 5-6 - thinking this was the cue for everyone to vacate so the streets can be washed.
The hotel itself was very clean and the junior suite was quite nice. Nice view of the beach/ocean.
The service was good - Alberto and Jesus were always quick to bring us refills.
Unfortunately the food gets a little boring as there is only one restaurant to go to for lunch and evening. There is a snack bar but that food is also available in the restaurant. I think if they were to change it up and offer a little bit different food in the evenings, it would be great. They need to work on the caesar salad....was not edible.

Room Tip: You want to get ocean front and get higher than the 2nd floor - then you will get a private balcony.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We spent two week in Mazatla and enjoyed our stay at the Royal Villas. The location was perfect and our accommdations very nice. We had a junior suite.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank LakeWashburn
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Just returned from another great vacation in Mazatlan. We went for two weeks, all inclusive, to the Royal Villas, our third year in a row at this hotel and booked our package through Westjet. Unfortunately, we ended up booking our trip with a stop in Vancouver both ways instead of direct from Calgary as we have in the past. For Calgary travellers try to avoid this if at all possible as it adds 3-4 hours both ways which makes for a very long travel day. Coming home our flight was delayed out of Vancouver which made the return trip extra long. Mazatlan was unusually cool this year. For those of you planning on travelling there it is always a good idea to bring some warmer clothing. We love the location of this hotel which is right in the heart of the Golden Zone, within easy walking distance to many great restaurants and shops. Rooms are kept very clean and the fridge is stocked daily with beer, sodas and water. No snacks were provided in our room this year as they had been in years past. Not sure why this was but we got the definite sense that the hotel is cutting costs because of the drop in business. Due to unfortunate circumstances, drug cartels, flu outbreaks, the unfortunate incident at another Maz hotel, cruise ships bypassing this beautiful city, tourism is not what it used to be here. We have always felt very safe here though and the security at this hotel is very good. The hotel was not busy during our stay except on weekends. Never a problem finding loungers by the pool and always a table at the restaurants. If you decide to visit this hotel, please keep in mind it is not a huge resort with massive buffets and varied restaurants. We kind of like that because for us it feels more homey and personal. Weekends are the only time they offer a breakfast buffet, which was very good. The rest of the week all dining is a la carte whether in the lobby bar, the Poolside restaurant or the indoor restaurant at the front of the hotel. We have decided that we will not do all inclusive again if we go back next year. We wouldn't recommend all inclusive unless unlimited booze is important to you. We ended up eating out quite a bit. There are so many restaurants in the area that offer great meals for very little money and you can run across the street if you want to purchase some beer, water and sodas to put in your fridge. The major downside at the Royal Villas is that the food is not the best especially after the first week when it gets a bit tiresome. They have a tendency to use copious amounts of what we identified as corn oil when cooking foods for a la carte breakfasts and we found that to be a little off putting and actually quite disgusting after a few days. El Chilitos across the street serves an awesome breakfast for 50 pesos per person. If you go, say hi to Alvarro who has over the last couple of years become a good friend and a great source of information on the area. The staff at this hotel are for the most part outstanding. We certainly were able to relax because they all looked after us very well. Some standout people...Marco at the front entrance...if you need anything he will look after it for you. If he doesn't know he will go out of his way to find out. Thanks Marco and thank you for the nice letter you left under out door. Rafael, Francisco, Calixto and Jesus are just some of the excellent waiters and really there are just too many great servers to mention them all here. We were never left wanting and service was always with a smile. Our housekeeper, Patricia needs to be recognized for doing a splendid job keeping our room spotless and tidy. Rooms are all ocean view (with the exception of a few in the back that no one ever seems to stay in). Every Junior Suite, which is what we had, comes with a mini kitchen including a coffee maker and bar fridge, cutlery, dishes and pots and pans. Run over to Martha's and have them grind you up some wonderful Chiapas French roast coffee beans. We sure enjoyed our cup of coffee on the balcony in the morning watching the ocean waves. We love this coffee so much we brought some home. A couple of suggestions to help make your stay more enjoyable; tipping is not expected, but it sure goes a long way in helping out these people who are hurting due to the slow down in tourism and they really appreciate it. Make sure you bring a sweater or jacket for the cooler mornings and evenings. All in all, we had a great rest which is what we were after. We will probably go back to Royal Villas next year and hope to see you all again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter and you will get the morning sun. Every room has a great ocean v...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jakesjo
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We have been to Mazatlan many times and have stayed at a variety of hotels in the Golden Zone(main hotel area). However, we have decided that the Royal Villas has the best location and the best beach. The ocean is usually not at all dangerous as it has a natural breakfront of two islands right in front. The waves are great for body surfing and you can walk out quite far, as it is shallow for a long way. The pool has a water slide and a children's wading pool and many pool lounges. The staff is extremely nice and welcoming and the maids keep the rooms spotless. All room issues are attended to rather quickly. No, it is not a 5* self contained resort, but is is within walking distance of many restaurants and shopping areas. It is an easy bus ride into the historic district. This hotel has a wonderful Mexican flavor to it and has visitors from all parts of North America, including Mexicans! Every room has a private entry, bathroom and balcony, and some are connected for families. A great and flexible set up. I would like to see the excellent hotel restaurant promoted a bit more, as it was not as busy as it should have been.

Room Tip: Stay on the south side, as the north side hears music from across the street, often late at night...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank nwaldbaum
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We just returned from a one week all inclusive in beautiful Mazatlan. We stayed once again at the Royal Villas in the Golden Zone as all inclusive guests. We highly recommend this hotel and we selected it once again for the excellent service, clean rooms and proximity to the El Cid Golf Course. Upon arrival the bell boys were welcoming and the check in quick and easy. We had a junior suite over looking the ocean and the room was large, fresh and clean with stove, fridge, microwave and kitchen supplies. Our service at the pool each day was outstanding! Raphael remembers you and your order and is swift to bring your orders with a smile every time. Francisco is also very friendly and helpful and so too was Chuey. This hotel delivers great service, great food, friendly staff and the pool is small compared to the larger resorts but we liked the smaller hotel, fewer crowds at the ppol and ease in getting a lounge chair. Each day we golfed and the caddies at the nearby golf course are fabulous and really make your golf game fun, I even picked up some golf tips. We enjoyed breakfasts and lunches every day at the hotel and had dinner one night in the hotel restaurant. Our room was cleaned very well each day when we returned from our excursions. The hotel is in easy walking distance to pharmacies, and also Villa Italia Pizza which is wonderful, as well as Ricos Coffee and Panchos another popular shrimp restaurant and convenience stores. Yes, there are time share people on the streets like in all of the Mexican resort cities, but if you are not interested just say no thank you and they leave you alone. We also travelled to the city center by cab for a fabulous shrimp feast and always felt safe. We spent many days walking along the Malecon (boardwalk) enjoying the ocean view. Be smart and show common sense when travelling (anywhere) and don't let the media discourage you from this beautiful city. We very much enjoyed our stay at Royal Villas and thanked the staff on departure telling them we would be back again next year and we will be! The Mexican people are just lovely.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an ocean view on the other side from the Gus-Gus restaurant to limit noise. Inte...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple