We emailed the following letter to the Royal Villas Resort shortly after our return to Canada. We also mailed a copy to Sunwing which forwarded another copy to R.V.R. We did not receive a response and decided to post our letter here:
Dear Sir or Madam,
Re: Our stay as all inclusive guests at the Royal Villas Resort, Mazatlan from Nov. 12 – Nov. 19, 2010
We would like to bring the following to the attention of the hotel management.
1. Housecleaning Staff: Ana Mar was very attentive to our needs and did a great job of keeping our room clean. She should be commended.
2. Brunches: We were happy with the brunches served and the waiters on staff during the morning shift. (However, there should be more of an attempt to ensure that the pancakes are kept hot.)
3. Evening meals and service: We were generally disappointed with the evening service at the a la carte restaurant . What follows are two or three of our two main complaints. (We took our last three dinners elsewhere).
On Monday, Nov. 15th we ordered two glasses of red wine with dinner. My husband then asked for a second glass of wine. We were told there wasn’t any red wine left. My husband then said he would settle for a glass of white wine. We reminded the waiters a few times. Finally, when we were done with our meal, the oldest of the three waiters on staff brought a glass of white wine. However we had observed that it was not poured from a bottle or a jar; but rather, it was poured from a container where the dirty dishes were being placed.
During this same meal the lady seated behind us broke a glass. None of the waiters cleaned up the broken glass while we were there. Instead they walked around the mess to do their chores. There was glass right next to our table but nobody cleaned it up. Other patrons looked on in bewilderment, or, amusement at best.
It took a good twenty minutes to get our bill that evening. My wife left early as she couldn’t wait any longer. I waited in the entrance way (to signal the urgency) until the bill finally came.
To put it bluntly, the waiters that evening, the older one in particular, were incompetent in our opinion.
4. Signing for drinks and food:
On Tuesday, Nov. 16th when I was signing off on the bills I decided to check the items I was signing for, only to find that one of the liquor bills wasn’t ours.
Then on Wednesday, Nov. 17th when I was signing for breakfast once again I checked through the bills and noticed that there was a bill for 2 omelettes. We never had omelettes at the hotel and I questioned the validity of the bill. The waiter just kept saying, “It’s okay because you don’t have to pay.”
5. Information regarding tour to Deer Island:
I had made arrangements with Robin at the tour desk to go to Deer Island on Wednesday morning as we were told this was part of our all inclusive package. When we went down to the boat we were told the all inclusive tour was only available on Fridays (which for many travellers like us, is both our arrival and departure day) and that if we went on Wednesdays we would have to pay. When we went back to Robin for an explanation she said she just found out the night before that the all inclusive trip was on Fridays.
6. Other services: We requested a safety deposit box (because the safe in our room wasn’t working) and were told (first by Ruth and then by Cindy) that there weren’t any available at that time; however, we would be put on a list and should check with the front desk again on Sunday. When we checked with the front desk on Sunday we were told that Cindy’s list wasn’t there anymore. We eventually did get a safety deposit box; however, this required our persistence.
This was also true for the hair dryer. I spoke to the ladies at the front desk 3 times before they replaced the broken hair dryer from our room.
7. On the day of our departure (Nov. 19) we requested to be allowed to stay in our room longer than the usual 10 a.m. check out. One of the front desk ladies offered an extension to 12.30. As our Sunwing bus didn’t pick us up until 4:45 pm that day we had to stay in the lobby area for four hours. David Barron (sp?) the manager of reservations let us know that a further extension beyond 12:30 was unacceptable as new arrivals had to be checked in (even though we offered to pay for the inconvenience to the resort). While we were waiting in the lobby we only noticed two arrivals between 12:30 and 4:45. Both occurred at about 4:30 pm. In other words we could have stayed in our room until, at least, 4:30.
The above factors contributed to a less than satisfactory experience during our stay at the Royal Villas Resort. Although we think that Royal Villas has the potential it does not deserve a 4-star rating at this point.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Royal Villas Resort All inclusive a lacarte Description and adventages:THE UPSCALE PROPERTY ON THE BEST BEACH OF MAZATLAN Located right in the heart of the GOLDEN ZONE of MAZATLAN, The Royal Villas resort features: 125 Suites, Jr. Suites and Pent Houses All of them with: Balconies. Kitchenettes and the best beds in town, Enjoy the only Four Diamond restaurant in Mazatlan rated by the AAA : La Hacienda de la Floor Restaurant with fine Mexican cuisine, try our delicious dishes 2007 prize winners, Have fun! during our happy hours at our Lobby Bar with live piano music and a variety of rhythms: Mexican, romantic and Jazz every day from Tuesday to Sunday, from 7:00 to 11:00 p.m. For Breakfast enjoy one on the best buffet breakfast in town, every day from 7:00 to 11:30 a.m. at our Montealban Restaurant, We also offer: Room Service, Acclimatized Swimming Pool, Jacuzzi, Fitness center with Sauna, Game room, Satellite TV, Internet access, Spa Services, daily pool and beach activities for children and adults:Other services: Game Room, Kids club, Baby Seating, Room Service, Meeting facilities up to 200 people, Safety deposit Boxes, Handicap rooms, Non smoking rooms, Beauty Saloon, Valet Parking, Direct Dial Phone System, Purified Water System, Travel Agency, Laundry Service and Laundromat .Satellite Television / Pay per view movies Smoking and Non-Smoking Rooms, Money Exchange and Safety Deposit Boxes, Business Center, M.D. on call, hours, Private Ocean View Balconies Spectacular Sunsets.1.-Location.- Located right in the heart of the golden zone. At one of the best beaches in Mazatlán.2.- EP Plan and All Inclusive a la carte2.- Family suites with Kitchenettes3.-Free internet services4:-Daily pool and beach activities program: Daily beach and pool activities for children and adults• Karaoke• Aqua aerobics• Water polo• Bingo• English classes• Spanish classes• Deer island tours 5.-Meeting facilities for up to 200 guests6.- Catering service for up to 300 guests.7.-Wedding facilities ( full arrangements)8.-Free parking and Valet parking service9.-Free work out room10.-Free Sauna services10.-Spa service ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Royal Villas Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Villas Hotel Mazatlan
- Royal Hotel Mazatlan
- Royal Resort Mazatlan