2,099 results
All reviewscasa robertogolden zonejoe's oyster barocean viewshrimp factoryzip lineitalian restaurantbeach servicebeach areabeach vendorshotel restaurantopen airmain poolnorth sidecommon areasgreat beachall inclusive plan
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Although this is not a small hotel it has the feel of a small hotel where the staff and owners know you. The owners are very present and visible and I feel they are very aware of what is happening at the hotel. Our first room was okay but the security light shone in which bothered me and we asked to change and were accommodated. The rooms were clean, well maintained with comfortable beds. There was filtered water in every room. The food was fine. Breakfast was a buffet and there were lots of options as well as a grill where you could get eggs done to order. The other two meals offered the option of a la carte restaurants which we used several times. The service was generally good. There was one waiter in the Italian supper restaurant who was not very attentive but he was certainly the exception as I found all other staff very helpful. I would stay here again and recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: If you can get an ocean view room it is worth it.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2013

Dear valued guest (Gerri T)

We are pleased to hear that you had a good experience with us, and are proud of gaining your referral. I can only say that we strive for excellence and when our merits are felt and commented on, it makes it all the worth it. Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful critique, and thank you even more, for referring us to your friends, and promising to come back soon. We will look forward to serving you and yours. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if I can be of service in planning your next stay.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

this is more than the tenth time we have stayed here, it won't be the last, but there needs to be attention paid to some details: the margaritas, and a few employees. we just love the location, the grounds, the buildings, pools, beach, and most of all the breakfast buffet outside by the ocean in the morning.we were not disappointed by any of that: everything is sparkly clean, lots of linens and toiletries, great hot shower, etc. fast check in time. we reserved on internet, got a great price and a 14 dollar a day voucher was offered online per room to use in their restaurants. we asked the clerk and he said we could use if for breakfast. so we checked in, and went to the bar area for margaritas, nachos, and sandwiches. and here is where the trouble started. there were at least four waiters around, all looking everywhere but at us. (there was a baby shower going on in a corner area, but they really weren't needed there much) we had a hard time getting waited on when we wanted something, which didn't bother us as much as the watered down margaritas we were served. hardly any tequila in them at all. we spent over 1000 pesos and feel we deserved better.when we paid and and were leaving, we mentioned to the bar manager that the drinks were awful, and he said he was sorry, that we should have told him, and that next time he would be sure we got a real margarita!!! so why don't they just serve them like they should in the first place??? which is what i told him. i don't know if the bartender is skimming off the tequila, or what...... but then i must say that later in the evening my husband, brother, and i went to the sports bar for a beer and to watch some tennis, and the service was excellent! the breakfast in the morning was just as great as usual, regino, our waiter was friendly and he was proud of his english. great service there now i must just add that the evening before when we checked in, my mother, 88 years old, had the use of a wheel chair, a bell boy nicely used to take her to my fathers' and her room, so i thought i would ask for it so she could get to breakfast easier. i walked to the front desk, because our room phones didn't work, and asked karinasol for one, and she bluntly and sharply stated that there was none! that they "were rented out since yesterday". so i told her we had used one not over 10 hours ago, and she again denied having any. so a nice bell boy (they are all great) took me to look for one, but there was none. so my mom walked to breakfast, which was no big deal, but i was very put off my karinasols'attitude. so now checkout: awful is the word for that. again, karinasol and her attitude. first, it seemed she had no idea what our room prices were, tried to overcharge us, so i had her look the prices up on internet. (we had signed for our breakfasts, like the front desk told us to do the night before, and then get the 14 dollars taken off our bill at checkout) she saw we had the meal credit cards and at first refused to take the 168 pesos off each our room bills because she said we had to use the credit the day we got to the hotel. boy, i was getting upset with her attitude! i told her what we had been told, then she said the card itself indicated that we had to use it on arrival. so we read the card and it said no such thing. so then she said it was indicated on their internet site that we had to use the credit the day we got there ( just checked here at home now, and it does not say anything) OMG, what an attitude, and what a hassle, and all this time another poor couple was waiting to check out. luckily, i live in mexico , and am married to a mexican, so my spanish is fluent, and i told her sternly that she better give us our credit, that we had done as we were told by the person at check in. but talk about an attitude!!! and she wasted at least 5 minutes of our time. my mother said, poor thing, it looks like she is pregnant and she is probably tired or a little crabby. well, i love this hotel, and i am writing this review mainly so the people in charge of the employees read this and take some action. real margaritas at the bar, and friendly front desk clerks. and you travellers, print out your reservation, with all the extras you will recieve, so everything will be clear at checkout. i am sorry, karinasol, but your "pequeno poder"attitude is doing no service to hotel playa mazatlan, on the contrary . and thank you

Room Tip: from past experience, i can say, as other travellers do : stay away from the side of the hotel where the oyster bar is located. other than that, the rooms are great. if you don't like to walk, ask for a garden room. the hotel grounds are very extensive.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Dear valued guest (almo52)

I am writing in the hopes of letting you know the importance that we place on all of our guest comments, and the tremendous value that we see in clear and blunt opinions, especially those coming from our valued repeat guests, as we know that they are always well intended and based on previous experience with us. I would like to comment on your overlying statements separately:
- Better Margaritas!! I hear you loud and clear, all guest expect a good drink when they walk up to a bar, but when you’re in Mexico, a spectacular Margarita is paramount, they even wrote a song about it. Although we have the standard measuring systems in place, I will make an added effort to speak, train and supervise our bar managers and bar tenders, to make sure that they are doing everything correctly.
- Attitude at reception and Karina Sol. I am caught off guard in regards to your experience with both our front desk and in particular Karina Sol, she is a tenured front desk clerk and has had many training sessions in the area of service and quality. Because of her past record, I would go out on a limb and say that there must have been underlying personal issues that were coming to surface, as she has a consistently good track record. I will in any case present the claims made in the hopes of using them as a training opportunity and commitment to improve. In regards to the wheelchairs, we do in fact offer the use of both regular and electric wheelchairs of which we have a few. It is not common that they are all rented or lent out, but it can in some cases happen, this still does not lend enough excuse for someone employed by the hotel to not make you feel like they at least tried to assist you, and for this I apologize on the hotels and our staff’ behalf.
Again we thank you for your loyalty, and appreciation of our property and history. We will look forward to being of service to you and yours again in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if I can be of service to you.

Reviewed 2 March 2013

We just got back from Mazatlan. Very cold there this year. Maybe a high of 78 during the day and about 40 at night. The heated pool was great during the day. The first night they put us in room 129 and against our better judgement we stayed there. The music from Joe's Oyster Bar was blasting until 4:58 A.M. when it finally quit. My husband went down to the front desk first thing in the morning and they switched us to room 3005, totally on the other side of the hotel. Very nice room and no complaints.Not many people around at all and many of the stores have closed up since we were there last. We found it safe to walk and go where ever we wanted.
We were told that the cruise ships are supposed to start coming back to Mazatlan in October and that should help their economy. Don't know the truth for sure some say that the cruise ships quit coming there because some people got robbed, others say it is because Mazatlan was charging the cruise ships six grand to dock for the day. Everyone was very friendly especially Alex in the gym. ver all a very good vacation at the Playa Mazatlan.

Room Tip: We had a ocean view room 3005. Other good rooms with ocean view are 3004, 1005, 1004 and any other rooms away from Joe's Oyster Bar. They blast the music whether there are customers or not.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Dear valued guest (CheeseheadsII)

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your last stay with us and that we were able to accommodate your room change when requested. Although we have an ordinance for the level of music and the time at which the music has to stop, we sometimes cannot control what goes on next door. We will continue to work on resolving that issue and will point out that we have upgraded most of the units on the south side of the hotel to have double paned windows in an effort to counteract this problem. We appreciate your recommendations for travel and as well thank you for the kind comments about the status of our Port. Hopefully all the politics will get resolved and the cruise ships will again offer people the opportunity to come and visit this little piece of paradise that all us Mazatlecos and all of our guests get to enjoy.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of service in planning your next visit.

Reviewed 28 February 2013

My wife and I have been staying there for 9 years now. I have never had a complaint until now. We booked a double double room and didn't get one. I could have paid $10 a night less and got a better room with queen or king size ocean view. I was really disappointed this time, I think you are catering to the all inclusive and not the ones who come every year, just my opinion. I also know a couple that had booked their trip months ago and they did not get the room what they paid for. I don't know what your idea of double double is but mine is 4 nice beds in an upper floor with some room. I think maybe you should confer with the different online travel agencies and get things straightened out. I was disapponted in my acomandations this time, but I will be back. I love the hotel and the people, I just felt like I didn't get what I thought and paid for was top dollar for a room. We will be back, soon, usually try and come down twice a year. Guess I will have to call ahead and find out.what the room rates are.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank skeeter320
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2013

Dear valued guest (skeeter320)

I am writing in response to your comment about not being able to receive the room you expected as well as having the feeling that we cater only to all inclusive guests. First let me note that we are still very honored to have returning guest and the last thing that I want to hear is that you feel that we did not treat you as traditionally expected. I would love to have the opportunity to assist you personally in the selection of your room, so that we can make sure that it does not only meet, but exceed your expectations. Secondly we thank you for giving us an opportunity to change your mind during your next trip. We will continue to strive for excellence in service and although we have hit a couple of speed bumps along the way as we add options. I give you my personal promise that we will not forget or change what has made us successful. Please feel free to contact me direct.

Reviewed 27 February 2013

This was our 12th visit to Mazatlan and we have stayed at the Playa each time. It just gets better every year !!! The service is always great and the rooms are kept very clean with great views .The location of the Playa is perfect to the beach and gold zone resturants .

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Dear valued guest (steve s)

Thank you once again for yet another year of great memories, I think that this one will stick with me. It was great getting to know you and yours better and I look forward to having the opportunity next year to continue building the memories. I’m glad to hear you guys made it home safe. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct next year, so that I can make sure to “select” your room again.