“Wonderful PLAYA MAZATLAN..”

Ranked #3 of 79 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 April 2013

You will not be disappointed in choosing this hotel.. everything from the rooms. grounds. restaurant.. the service from the chambermaids, waiters.. especially Alfredo.. he is number 1 to the girls at the reception.. especially Elizebeth and Cacila .. it cannot get any better ... my husband and I enjoy this property.. the best beach.. and yes the vendors are fun to talk to and are not pushy... this is my 30 something time coming to this resort since late 70's .. love the place.. I have introduced this property to 5 of my friends and my son.. first time for them last year and they loved it and will be coming back... that says alot for this hotel... the pools are great ... this is not a party hotel.. if u are looking for a party and loud noise .. u best look elsewhere,, they take pride in this property and people from all over come back time and time again.,, great for couples and families.... lots to do in and around the resort and area... great location...

I am writing this review while i am here .. day 4 of our vacation... nothing disappoints me..

Thank you Playa Mazatlan.. and yes we will be coming back.. probably in November 2013.

If u have any questions to ask dont hesitate to ask. i will answer ...

Room Tip: ocean view is the best.. i have not stayed in poolview or garden . i am sure they would be just as...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank catlady051
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Dear valued guest (catlady051)

As always it is a pleasure to read your reviews, and I am even happier that I got the opportunity to meet you and your husband personally. We will look forward to building new memories on your next trip. As I mentioned please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Playa Mazatlan

Reviewed 14 April 2013

Very friendly, helpful people at hotel and area. Lots of fun with beach vendors, not pushy at all. Wonderfully clean and well taken care of hotel. Used pulmonia to get around town ( like covered golf carts with drivers) the hotel has a fantastic Italian restaurant upstairs. I would go back in a heart beat for another holiday. The beach was wonderful,lots of beautiful sand. A great lady called Elizabeth at the concierge desk speaks beautiful English and couldn't be nicer.

Room Tip: Ocean view on TOP level.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Joan M
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Dear valued guest, (Joan M)

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post such a positive critique. I will personally congratulate Elizabeth for the impact she had on you and yours during your trip. We will look forward to serving you on your next stay, please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service in planning your trip.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

I had reviewed the website of this hotel before going to Mazatlan and was really happy about the pricing, the food credits included and the overall property. I did not bother to make a reservation as I was already en route to Mazatlan and would be there the next day. When I got to the front desk and requested the Deluxe Ocean View room that I had decided on for the online price of $145USD per night with taxes included and a $19USD food credit, I was shocked to see the bill handed to me to confirm pricing was $250USD per night with no food credit at all. I requested to speak with the manager and was told that yes, the prices on line are very different to the prices offered directly at the hotel. I mentioned that this was a serious issue for travelers and highly unfair and that it was false advertisement to offer a low price on line and then charge them $100 dollars more per night when they arrive. The website did not mention anywhere that I could find that the prices were 'internet only' prices and would not be honored at the hotel directly. She just told me she knows the pricing is different but nothing could be done. Amazing! I was exhausted though and didn't want to find a cab and search for another hotel as it was already 9pm so I went ahead and checked in, because the girl at the front desk had explained it was a deluxe room 'de lujo', meaning luxury. When I got to the room, the views were lovely as it was a ground floor room with private terrace and the ocean just out there about 2000 meters away. However, there was no evidence of 'lujo' anywhere to be seen. Nice furnishings of course and perfectly acceptable for a normal room but nothing to bring it up to a deluxe accommodation standard. No mini fridge, no microwave, no wet bar, no Body Care Basket of bathroom amenities that were promised on line either. Just a small bottle of conditioner and a small lotion. Very disappointing after the price I'd just paid to say the least. The night was a bit hard as well because though the bed was comfortable, the pillows were only foam and were not. The constant noise from the partiers on the beach and the ones in the breezeway outside the entry door was almost intolerable. Rather than enjoying a night on the beach with the sound of the waves I ended up using ear plugs and closing the curtains to get a bit of peace.

The breakfast buffet was okay. The room was fairly clean, though I did have to request towels at 10pm as my deluxe room had none when I arrived.

The beach in front of the hotel was very dirty. I could see people attempting to clean it early in the morning, at first light in fact, but they didn't do a very thorough job of it. There were cigarette butts and beverage lids in the sand everywhere. No one ever came to ask me if I wanted a beverage when I sat in the palapa/chairs on the beach in front of the hotel.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a quiet and relaxing stay in Mazatlan, nor to anyone who wants to hear the ocean and enjoy good service. If you do decide to book it, be SURE to book it online and to get the correct advertised pricing and be sure to bring ear plugs unless you are looking for a party hotel.

Room Tip: Definitely don't pay extra for the ocean view room and get a higher floor if possible to avoid a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank ChanceEncounter
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2013

Dear valued guest (ChanceEncounter)

I am writing in response to your late critique about your stay at our property and some of the confusion in regards to the pricing and food credits. I would like to begin by stating that it is common practice amongst all hotels as well as tour operators to have discounted pricing with added benefits on their websites, as it allots the hotel a better opportunity to manage incoming guests. There are many steps on the website where this information is listed, as well as posted prices at the lobby as requiered by state and federal law. Please note that the “upcharge” that you mentioned, occurred due to a last minute booking at the lobby, any and all of our package deals are only offered when an early booking is confirmed.
In regards to the cleaning of the beach and surrounding areas, as you may note from 99% of our posting cleanliness for both our areas and beaches is one of the things that we are consistently recognized for, so I am surprised that you feel that your experience was different, but base on the time in which you visited the hotel, I can note that you where amidst many national travelers and local visitors to the federal public areas which begin at our property line towards the ocean, they where all celebrating spring break and enjoying the holiday while various bands and groups played music on the shoreline, please note that music and “fiesta” is part of not only the local culture, but as well the culture of the country.
We terribly apologize if this did not allot you the kind of trip that was expected, but we are unable to control areas that are outside of our facilities, and must lean on the local authorities, we do though always offer our guests the opportunity to transfer to a different room of equal or better quality when they feel discomforted by ongoing events. I do note that there was a specific request for a ground floor room in a Deluxe category, which you where granted. I as well note that there was no request for transfer or complaint of noise listed under your reservation, or I am sure that our staff would have offered you this benefit.
The hotel has multiple types of rooms throughout the hotel that offer various amenities, such as the mini fridge that you mention, but the Deluxe category of room is not one of them, you will note that that is as well specified on our website, the categories of rooms that offer such amenities are all in the Suite and above categories, you are offered the opportunity to rent a refrigerator for any category of room if you so choose. As for the amenities basket, please note that there are 2 different hand soaps, one body soap, one body lotion, shampoo, conditioner, face towels, towelettes and a comb offered. These are standard in every room, and I will review with the people that where in charge of preparing your room on why these as well as towels where lacking.
I do hope that we have the opportunity to change your mind about our property by visiting us once again, if you chose to do so, I ask that you please feel free to contact me direct, so that I may present you with not only the various package benefits, but as well go over some of the differences between each room category so that you may better select one that suits your personal needs. Please note that although you where here during a “party” period of the year, the hotel has actually been recognized as being the number one family hotel by our travelers (as presented by tripadvisors travelers choice 2013) and we are far from being as you mention a “Party hotel”, we do know how to have and show our guest a good time, the tour focus is not only “to party”.
Again, thank you for your time and critique, we will continue to strive for excellence and in allowing all of our guest to have their expectations met.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Returned March 8 from another great 2-week stay at the Playa Mazatlan. It's my favorite place to stay in Mazatlan and it didn't disappoint this time either. The rooms and grounds are always impeccably clean and well kept, the staff are helpful and friendly and the location can't be beat. This is my first time visiting when it's been all inclusive and has the additional Italian and Mexican restaurants. The morning buffet breakfast is good and the specialty restaurants were very nice, too. Martin and Martin, waiters at the Mexican restaurant on site, are terrific and we enjoyed our time with them. Our maid, Magdalena, kept the room spotless and Jose the bellboy was very helpful on our arrival. The live music in the evenings was a highlight also. It was my friend's 1st time to stay in Mazatlan and she's already looking forward to another trip!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

Dear valued guest (Oregontravelingal)

I would like to personally thank you for your kind words and continued loyalty. We are proud to hear that we did not disappoint your friend no her stay, and that some of the improvements met your approval. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service in planning your next stay.

Reviewed 28 March 2013

As I am writing this review I have been waiting in the registration line for over half an hour. It is completely understandable that this a busy weekend however it is unsatisfactory to wait for approximately 45 minutes for 1 guest to check in. If the wait was to register numerous guests then that would be reasonable however it was only 1 person. There were 2 additional personnel waiting behind the desk not doing anything. Not to mention hotel guests were cutting in line. There is no sense of order at this hotel. The scenery and location is great. But the services are horrible.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank XianZman
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2013

Dear valued guest (XianZman)

I would like to begin by thanking you for taking the time to comment about the hotel even prior to you checking in, it is not customary to receive critiques from guest prior to them utilizing our amenities. Secondly I would apologize for the delay upon your arrival. I have taken the time to review all of the checkin’ on the day that this posting was submitted and I have been unable to spot one going over the 21 minute mark. I would be curious to know what dates you where visiting so that I may take the time to better address how to resolve this issue. You will note that historically we are recognized for our service and the attitude of our personnel, so please note that your comment will be dealt with and resolved. Please feel free to contact me direct if I may be of service.

Reviewed 26 March 2013

I recently spent 3 days at this hotel and found it very clean, room well furnished and the staff very helpful and polite. The hotel restaurant was about average and I looked at the buffet and passed on that every day, pleanty of places to eat and drink within short walking distance. The hotel beach is very clean and the view fantastic. The evening lounge entertainment was above avarage and the dance floor quite large. I will most certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tiffin09Z
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

Dear valued guest (Tiffin09Z)

I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to post a critique. We will look forward to serving you in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally if I can be of service to you.

Reviewed 22 March 2013

Arrived Feb 26 and departed March12. We were given a choice of three to four rooms with the help of the front desk and especially Jose the bellman. He spoke perfect English which helped us a lot . Settled for a ocean view room 112. The best room we have ever stayed in a resort and rite on the beach with a great patio. Access to every thing. The hotel is a great place to enjoy mexican decore. Its only 4 storys high with great landscaping. The staff are constantly cleaning and washing floors through out the complex. Room cleaning exceptual. We eat occasionally in the large dinning area with no complaints. Most people were all inclusive . We chose to eat at the many restaurants in and around the area. Mostly at the "Pannama." The hotel has a doctor and nurse which we used once for a minor detail not related to Hotel problems. This was helpful and received prescription for same. Thanks to Dr. Martha Ramirez and her staff. Should mention The room was large and a great shower and I'm sure all the other rooms were the same. Exceptional renovations must of occurred through out the many years this original hotel was built. Would like to thank Rual , a most friendly manager of this hotel. He certainly made our stay memorable and would return again. Good thing about this hotel is its location and rite on the great beach. Easy access to Taxi's and the good Bus service which can take you down town in 10 minutes or to shopping Malls or modern Mega grocery stores. You can rent a fridge or microwave if you wish. Room service and beach food service is fast and freindly.. Over all forget Waikiki and go here to relax and enjoy. This complex would cost 300.00 plus in Waikiki and still would not be rite on the beach. Should say the nitly band and dancers were real good. Can walk anywhere in Mazatlan and people are friendly and help ful. You will enjoy Mazatlan. We have been there three times over 25 years , with no problems. Have also been to Hawaii over 40 times. Hawaii has over priced itself with little renovations . Will now consider the Latin countries. Tip the staff and maids . They do appreciate your kindness. vic

Room Tip: I like ocean view patio, don't have to take stairs or elevator , However, would take rooms on ma...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vic-Edmonton
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Dear valued guest (Vic-Edmonton)

I am pleased to hear that we again exceeded expectations. We truly appreciate you taking the time to post a comment/critique about your stay, our staff, the resort, our amenities and the port itself. It is quite a recognition to be compared to a world renowned destination as is Waikiki. I will personally pass on your recognition to Dr. Ramirez, Mr. Raul and our staff. It is always a pleasure to be of service, and we will look forward towards having the opportunity to be of service to you once again, in the near future. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service.