“Ok resort but not a 4 star.”

Hotel Playa Mazatlan
Ranked #3 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My wife and I stayed a week in November and for the most part enjoyed our stay. I think the week we stayed must have been on a Mexican school holiday because it was full of party teens yelling and running up and down the halls one night. The resort must of stepped up security after that cause all was quite for the rest of the week. Al la carte was fantastic at this place which was surprising because the regular buffet was not so great. Drink menu for all inclusive was not very good also with tiny cups two bars that are only open at certain times. A fridge would have been nice also but that being said rooms were nice and clean. Beach is fantastic! The staff is nice but very few speak English and the non all inclusive guests definitely get the better service. 3 star sums it up!!

Room Tip: Ocean view is a must.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Buckwheat999
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear valued guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to offer us your review; I would like to point out that the issue with the noise was due to a group that unexpectedly ended up being a college tour, that will not be allowed back into the hotel, and was quickly moved as you were able to see during the other nights of your stay. As for the fridge in the room, please note that we offer 19 different categories of rooms, all varying in ammenities, size and location, some of these do include refrigerators and/ or kitchennetes. I hope that you will visit us again and review some of the other rooms we have to offer, as our goal is to be constantly improving and renovating. Feel free to contact me direct if i can be of service to you.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

I had a complicated booking to complete and had to ask for help from the reservation staff at Hotel Playa Mazatlan. I was lucky enough to speak with Rosa who was extremely helpful. She was very patient with me and insured we got the booking correct and that every thing would be in order. She also gave me some excellent information regarding the hotel and the surrounding area and answered all of my questions and thoroughly dealt with my concerns. Thank you Rosa ! If the rest of the staff at Hotel Playa is half as helpful as you it will be a great stay !

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear valued guest,

We sincerely appreciate your positive comments about Rosa, I am sure that she will be thrilled to know that she received recognition on such a public forum. We are glad to hear that the service standards are being met and exceeded in such a way as to make an impact on the points of view that our clients have of us, our property and services. We will look forward to being of service to you and yours again in the near future.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stayed one night at Hotel Playa Mazatlan at the end of a week long visit to the city. We enjoyed the place, but it was mostly motel-level on a grand scale. Beds weren't so great - platforms built into the walls with an okay full size mattress. Room needed to be aired out when we got there, but quickly was fine. The little ants making their way through cracks in the walls and out the louvered and un-screened window in front were a little annoying.

The beachfront was nice, with a semi-private section with palapas and chairs, but not enough space, palapas or chairs for the number of people using them. Some ants were colonizing in the sand around the chairs that we used, making that less than perfect. The pool was decent, but I think it could use some maintenance and spiffing up. It has a nice bar area nearby, but we didn't patronize that so can't comment on price or quality.

The buffet breakfast was elaborate and well done, but needs more stations and serving space for the large numbers of people using it.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are nice, with pretty scenery that varies as the day goes by.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TimB_CA
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear valued guest,
We appreciate you taking the time to write your comments, and we feel concerned about your overall rating of the property, we hope that you give us a chance to show you some of the variety of rooms that we have to offer, as well as a chance to visit during a different time of the year when it is perhaps less crowded and closer to the overall feel you are looking for. Please note that I will take your comments to heart and work on finding solutions that can make your next stay a better one. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 29 October 2013

We spent two nights here for a rest during our motorcycle tour. Our rooms 351 and 355 overlooked the beach, Pacific Ocean, islands and town. Pretty good! Big, spacious, clean rooms, good shower, good breakfasts, free parking, great beach, lovely warm ocean (certainly not the English Channel in October!), shoals of sardines, pelicans and frigate birds skimming and soaring by. Apparently the hotel used to be full of foreigners from north of the border, but now has a much more relaxed feel to it, with lots of Mexican families. Poolside is a bit noisy for grumpy old men, but easily avoided.

Room Tip: room 355 is lovely, but the open roofed disco is below, which finished around midnight.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear valued guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to give such a poetic description of your visit to our hotel and coastline, I hope that the memories we significant enough to gain your repeat business. Perhaps if you come during a different time of the year you will be able to see some of the variety of travelers that we receive. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service in planning your future visits.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

To the extraordinary staff at the Hotel Playa Mazatlan-- from the beach service to the multitude of restaurants and clubs; the staff is well-spoken, tactful, and always smiling!
You are all first class, five star service- beyond a shadow of a doubt! There was not a detail that was overlooked or missed and you made my stay one of the most pleasurable and memorable vacations I've had in years! Thank you all very much and I’ll see you soon!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank brettiverse

Dear valued guest,

We deeply appreciate your insight and comments on our property, it was a pleasure having you and your friends visit, we will look forward to having another opportunity to build on your happy memories of both our resort and Mazatlan as a city. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if I can be of service to you.

Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

No Ice Makers, No Fridge In The ROom. Had To Ask For Wash Clothes Every Day. No English Channels On Tv, Even Though The Tv GuiDe Said They Did. Pay A Little More And Go Some Place Nicer. Everything Was Old And Not Cheap Either..

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank csaindon

Dear valued guest,

I am writing in response to your comments about our property in the hopes of correcting what seems to be a miss-perception.

- No ice makers – We do not have ice makes in the room, yet there are many icemakers in and around our kitchen, that we are happy to make readily available to our guests.
- No Fridge in room – as you will note on our site we have multiple categories of rooms, some do and some don’t have refrigerators, but the option to have one put in for an added costs does exist in any of our room categories.
- Wash clothes every day – by this comment I am assuming towels, these are changed daily if the guest wishes by the maid service, yet we do invite all of our guests to join us in the conservation of water efforts. You will find a tent card displaying this information in your wash room.
- No English channels – I can assure that we do offer this option as I regularly stay in the hotel, the channels listed on your tent card notate the ones that are English only, Spanish only or shared language based on programming. In some cases the “SAP” button on the control is needed.
- Pricing – We find that we are not only competitively priced, but actually relatively in-expensive for the amenities received, please feel free to do a price check on similar or lesser properties.
- Everything was old – The property is 60 yrs old, yet we have a 10% remodeling policy yearly, a fact that you can find mentioned in most of the posting from our repeat clients.

I hope this re-directs some of your concerns and comments, please feel free to contact me direct if I can be if further service or provide further clarification. We hope that we have the opportunity to change your mind in the near future.

Best Wishes and safe travels,

Reviewed 11 October 2013

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel. It is clean and comfortable.
We had a view of the ocean from our room/balcony and it was postcard perfect.
We feel safe here and the staff was more than accomodating. Most spoke English and if not they found someone who could communicate with me.
The beach is very nice and has many cabanas to use and service is right at your seat!
We are planning another visit in December and will definitely make a reservation here.
And this time I am going to find out what the spa is all about!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank irishtravelers6812

Dear valued guest,

We look forward to your up and coming visit, and I am sure that you will find that the SPA services is a treat you don’t want to miss. Thank you for taking the time to comment on our property and rate us in a positive matter, it is always a pleasure to hear from our returning (and new) guests. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service to you.