“Excellent Hotel without the High Rise”

Hotel Playa Mazatlan
Ranked #3 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The Hotel Playa is a low rise paradise in the Golden Zone of Mazatlan. We have been staying there since 1972 and have always enjoyed every trip. The Hotel is well maintained, clean, and safe. The staff goes out of their way to make your trip as enjoyable and stress free as possible. Of course, as a guest, it is also your responsibility to be courteous and generous toward them including making some attempts to learn some basic manners and Spanish. Apparently many of the Norte Americanos have forgotten the basics. We just completed our two week stay at the Playa and will be returning shortly for a more extended stay. I want to thank all of the staff for their kindness and help during our recent trip. Especially, without limitation, I want to thank Elizabeth - Concierge for everything she always does to make things smooth. Also Minerva in the Terraza Restaurant for her help along with all of the wait staff who are always pleasant and friendly. On the beach the Playa is lucky to have Alfredo and Humberto to take care of the guests. We always have great service also from Julian who seems to be everywhere when you need help in the restaurant or with room service. We very much enjoyed the service and food provided by Jesus and staff at Georgini's upstairs. The hotel is always clean and well patrolled. There are some noise issues, but you have to live with some of that. The beach area is beautiful and clean. I think if you go the Playa with the right attitude and accept that it is an older Mexican Hotel property with all of the charm that goes with it that you will enjoy a wonderful vacation. It seems that some of the reviewers are always looking for the most modern up to date spot where they can use their electronics and other devices instead of relaxing.

Thanks again to everyone at the Playa

Room Tip: Pay for an Ocean View Room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Robert D
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear valued guest,
We appreciare your continued loyalty and appreciation for our unique architecture. I will personally thank all the above mentioned for impacting your stay and making sure that you are able to enjoy what a real beachside vacation should offer – Lots of relaxation-. Please feel free to contact me if i can be of service during your next trip, as we would like to make sure taht things continue to be as expected or better.

Best Wishes and Safe travels,
LT VIENT

Write a ReviewReviews (1,856)

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Very clean, friendly staff (as always in Mexico) Room & view better much better than expected. The property was built in 1955 and for me did not show it's age. It has the traditional tiles with slight Mexican flare so to speak. Room was clean by noon every day. The first few days were a little noisy as 700 students were checked into 200 rooms. They stayed only two nights so I can forgive the two nights of occasional yelling between midnight and 4 am, They're kids having fun just like we all did at that age. I've read the other reviews that state the view is no longer? I paid for Ocean view and received Ocean front room. People who pay for garden view could get the Oyster Bar or a pool. You usually get what you pay for. The resort is by no means a 4 star, it's a 2.5 to 3 star. The A la Carte's, Casa Roberto's was basically a fast food place with pleasant casual décor. It is also open to the public. If one had to pay, for 100 peso's ($10.00) I had a taco, two enchilada's, cup of soup, a beer. // Georgini’s, (Italian) was more a formal dining room with excellent service. The food was very good. I had the beef carpacio followed by Beef tenderloin. Very tasty and compares to our Alberta beef in Canada. Our group also had the salmon and it was cooked to perfection. If not for the buffet "La Terraza" marks would have been higher. It appeared that they were catering to their Mexican guests which they cannot be faulted for as tourism has been down due to fears of violence. People, there is nothing to worry about unless you put yourself in harms way. We walked the streets during the day without incident. Would you walk anywhere at night in your own home town? I've noticed that many people do not tip in all-inclusive resorts. For about $15.00 maximum a day you can live like a king & queen. The Mexican people work hard for us to enjoy ourselves so why not reward them? All in all another great week in Mexico.

Room Tip: Ocean front is always good choice. I've changed rooms at different resorts because I was not hap...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank kstuart

Dear valued guest,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment on your stay and on some of the various amenities the hotel has to offer, we thank you for as well inviting other guest to come visit our destination. I hope that we have the opportunity to be of service to you again in the near future, and I offer my personal assistance if needed.

Safe travels,

Reviewed 22 November 2013

First the good. Great location. It is right on the beach; and they have a large expanse of beach - perhaps one of the largest in the bay. The beach is clean, the water warm, their beach side seating is great with plenty of shade. Service has been great. The staff goes the extra mile and is pleasant. The hotel is older, but they apparently keep updating and renovating. A few glitches which they really need to fix, but I am not seeing it happen at least while I am here. The elevator in our wing has gone out repeatedly and they key card system is required a number of guests to have to have their card rekeyed. This has been happening for the last 4 days. Now the bad. NOISE. Next door on the South end is Joe Oyster's they play LOUD music until 3-4 am. The Playa has no control over that; but it is extremely irritating. For 4 days there was a large influx of college kids who have kept guest up until about 3 am, and security seemed unable or unwilling to address the problem. In addition the Mexican bands were playing for hours at a time on the beach in front of the hotel. I am not passing judgment on the custom, but if you are coming down here to relax...you might have to rethink it. If this is a normal weekend occurrence - wow. I really want to come back here but am really having second thoughts due to the noise factor. The response of the hotel to the problem was slow and inadequate. So if going be sure there won't be any large group of kids there, and confirm a room on the North end as "Joe's Oyster Bar" seems to play almost every night.

Room Tip: North end rooms. Getting a ocean view room is worth it. Rooms on 4th floor will be quieter
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank tcombs

Dear valued guest,

I am writting in response, to your comments and critiques about your recent stay here at the Playa Mazatlán Beach Hotel. I am very thankfull for your kind comments about our location, staff and service; please note that we take great pride in making every guest feel well atended and satisfied.

In regards to your notes about some of the up-keep and maintenance

- Key card issue: During the period in which you where here, we had an emergency update to the key system, that required all new keys to be reset; it turns out that the day that this happened we where at 95% occupancy and hundreds of rooms where affected. It will not happen again as the change taht was made solidifies this. We truly apologize for the inconvenience.
- Elevator: We are in the process of planning an update to this equipment, as it seems regular maintenace is starting to flail, we should have this changed by your next visit.
- Noise from kids: I am sure you noted that we beefed up security and requested support from local authorities to evacuate a large ammount of these students from the premises, as you know we do not take on these kind of tours as a hotel or a destination, and we where unable to pinpoint it as a group, until they where already here, because we received their reservations independently. Your security and confort are our main priority, and I can guarantee that this is not an issue that will repeat itself.
- Noise from Joes Oyster Bar: This is an ongonig battle between us, and the owners of the bar, as you mention there is nothing we can truly do, but submit your complaints, what we would recommend is to make your opinión Heard via this same website, but to their management staff (Ramada Hotel).

We hope this resolves some of your concerns, please feel free to contact me direct if I can personally be of service to you.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

The last time I was in Mazatlan was about sixteen years ago. Back then one can still see the beach from the street. Not so today. High rise hotels and stores cover up the view.

I'm writing this review on my last night on a four night stay at Hotel Play Mazatlan. I am underwhelmed which is another way of saying that I am not impressed.

It started with my check in. At about 10 o'clock in the morning the lobby was already filled with large crowds of people. There was some type of a Tae Kwon Do tournament going on. Understandably I thought the front bell staff is probably too busy to greet a guest or offer to help with my luggage.

There was only one person ahead of me in the check in line so I thought it wouldn't take long before I was served. Not so. It took about 40 minutes for me to get ahead of the line. The reason was that, despite the the signs that said "Please wait your turn" in English and Spanish, the receptionist kept serving those who kept cutting in line. I had to finally insist on my turn.

I was given a room at the east end of the property on the fourth floor. The elevator wasn't working so after I asked for help, a bell hop helped me lug my luggage on four flights of stairs. It's not really too bad if it wasn't for the hot and rainy weather...and humidity.

My room it turned out overlooks Joe's Oyster Bar next door which at night cracks up an all night fiesta complete with a jumbotron screen to accompany the spectacularly loud speaker system. Even with the sliding door shut closed, it sounded like the party was right inside my room. The music wasn't too annoying so I thought I'd tolerate it and with the aid of a sleeping pill I was able to get some sleep on the first night...and second night. On the third night, I finally called the front desk to move me to another room. Without any apologies, and after being told that I am being upgraded to another room without charge, I finally had a peaceful sleep on Playa Mazatlan.

Hotel Playa Mazatlan has been here for over 60 years being the first to be built on the Zona Dorada. It's a sprawling property that stretches out for a block. But although the grounds are well kept, the rest of the property is tired and....well, old. It can probably use a major overhaul. Flat screen TVs and new pillow top mattresses help to bring it into the present era. But the 1980's phone being you back to....well in the 1980's.

One thing for sure, Hotel Playa sits on prime beach property and sitting on a balcony facing the ocean makes you forget the details that are not there like good service from the front office staff. A well meaning smile with a hearty "Buenas Dias" would do.

As big as this hotel is, there are minimal to no signs to direct one to any of the property's amenities. One just have to wander around until...O this must be the Terraza Restaurant. Or wander around some more until..O that must be the Sports Bar up on the second floor. What's that up ahead...O it's the gym and the spa.

Just don't ask the staff where things are because they'll just look at you like you're too dense to find things on your own.

I will be back to Mazatlan again soon but I don't think I'll put Hotel Playa in my preferred list to stay.

Room Tip: Ask to be out to the "newer" part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank PilgrimsRegress
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear valued guest,

I am writting to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us. I am saddened to hear some of your opinions yet they inspire me to continue to strive for success and perfection, as our motto is to “always keep moving forward” I am sruprised to hear that you did not notice many of the other upgraded ammenities in the room, and that the phone was the object that stood out to you the most in your room, allthough they are as you mention a “throwback to the ‘80” I find them to be more nostalgic than anything else, and from what I can tell they are rarelly used by our guest with the advent of cellphones, I will in fact take your note and consider upgrading these during the next year. In regards to the noise issue, please note that eventhough there is a sound ordinanze and we look for assistance from city and state authorities to enforce them, we have no authority to go into a neighboring property and change their volumen settings, we have in fact added doublé panned Windows, a concrete wall and offer complimentary ear plugs when requested, in the hopes of alloting our guests the rest they are looking for, also, as you mention we have many room options available, and are able to accomodate moves with the occassional upgrade as an apology at no added cost. As for the signage – point taken- we will work on adding more of it, as it seems that the maps located in the room directory, arrival package and elevators, is not sufficient.

In regards to the front desk; I took the time to review the dates of your arrival, so that I may better understand why the deal existed, and as you mentioned we had a large group arrival, that was coming in in various turns under the same reservation, which perhaps made it seem as if they where cutting in line, due to this issue, we have established an area from groups to check in that is separate from the individual arrival desk. We hope that this will help in resolving this issue moving forward, and again we appreciate you pointing out an area of opportunity for us.

Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if I can be of service to you personally.
Best wishes and Safe travels,

Reviewed 18 November 2013

My wife and I stayed a week in November and for the most part enjoyed our stay. I think the week we stayed must have been on a Mexican school holiday because it was full of party teens yelling and running up and down the halls one night. The resort must of stepped up security after that cause all was quite for the rest of the week. Al la carte was fantastic at this place which was surprising because the regular buffet was not so great. Drink menu for all inclusive was not very good also with tiny cups two bars that are only open at certain times. A fridge would have been nice also but that being said rooms were nice and clean. Beach is fantastic! The staff is nice but very few speak English and the non all inclusive guests definitely get the better service. 3 star sums it up!!

Room Tip: Ocean view is a must.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Buckwheat999

Dear valued guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to offer us your review; I would like to point out that the issue with the noise was due to a group that unexpectedly ended up being a college tour, that will not be allowed back into the hotel, and was quickly moved as you were able to see during the other nights of your stay. As for the fridge in the room, please note that we offer 19 different categories of rooms, all varying in ammenities, size and location, some of these do include refrigerators and/ or kitchennetes. I hope that you will visit us again and review some of the other rooms we have to offer, as our goal is to be constantly improving and renovating. Feel free to contact me direct if i can be of service to you.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

I had a complicated booking to complete and had to ask for help from the reservation staff at Hotel Playa Mazatlan. I was lucky enough to speak with Rosa who was extremely helpful. She was very patient with me and insured we got the booking correct and that every thing would be in order. She also gave me some excellent information regarding the hotel and the surrounding area and answered all of my questions and thoroughly dealt with my concerns. Thank you Rosa ! If the rest of the staff at Hotel Playa is half as helpful as you it will be a great stay !

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear valued guest,

We sincerely appreciate your positive comments about Rosa, I am sure that she will be thrilled to know that she received recognition on such a public forum. We are glad to hear that the service standards are being met and exceeded in such a way as to make an impact on the points of view that our clients have of us, our property and services. We will look forward to being of service to you and yours again in the near future.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stayed one night at Hotel Playa Mazatlan at the end of a week long visit to the city. We enjoyed the place, but it was mostly motel-level on a grand scale. Beds weren't so great - platforms built into the walls with an okay full size mattress. Room needed to be aired out when we got there, but quickly was fine. The little ants making their way through cracks in the walls and out the louvered and un-screened window in front were a little annoying.

The beachfront was nice, with a semi-private section with palapas and chairs, but not enough space, palapas or chairs for the number of people using them. Some ants were colonizing in the sand around the chairs that we used, making that less than perfect. The pool was decent, but I think it could use some maintenance and spiffing up. It has a nice bar area nearby, but we didn't patronize that so can't comment on price or quality.

The buffet breakfast was elaborate and well done, but needs more stations and serving space for the large numbers of people using it.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are nice, with pretty scenery that varies as the day goes by.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TimB_CA
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear valued guest,
We appreciate you taking the time to write your comments, and we feel concerned about your overall rating of the property, we hope that you give us a chance to show you some of the variety of rooms that we have to offer, as well as a chance to visit during a different time of the year when it is perhaps less crowded and closer to the overall feel you are looking for. Please note that I will take your comments to heart and work on finding solutions that can make your next stay a better one. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service.

Best wishes,