“Best vacation so far!”

Ranked #5 of 81 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersGold level
“Best vacation so far!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here over the Christmas holiday in 2010 and so far, it's been the best vacation we ever had. We had a second floor room overlooking the beach and the islands, with two giant palm trees right outside our balcony. So relaxing! The room was clean and comfortable, breakfast at the restaurant offered a choice of American or Mexican breakfast and we always got a table right by the beach. The staff were super helpful and arranged several excursions for us, as well as transportation to and from the airport. Loved the main pool with its little café. Best thing about it, though, was walking back to the hotel along the beach after a couple of mai tais. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean-facing room at the north end of the hotel. Great for people-watching, and out o...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear valued guest,
It is with great pleassure that I respond, to such great comments about your experience in our facility and surrounded by our family of staff memebers. I too like to partake on the walks back on the beach after of couple of drinks; yet I prefer the “mojitos”. Hopefully you will return soon and have a chance to taste those as well. We trully appreciate you taking the time to post such wonderfull comments about the hotel. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service in making arrangements for your next visit.
LT VIENT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

I was there in March 2005, had a blast! we sleep like the dead so really the racket some complained about...... I mean we were there when Mexico was in some Baseball playoffs I get it and joined in! I don't have to get up at 6am? I am on Holiday, I tip well and therefore I am treated well. Service for us was 5 Star again Tip and you are a King, My beach service was amazing The food was amazing the grounds were safe, the only issue I had was I am a large man physical man and the cement bed got old but again in that humidity what can you do? I loved the city it was old Mexico I felt safe all the time and on the property very safe. The Beach and Gulf are perfect this place is home feeling not like Americana up in Cancun...The front desk is friendly well dressed and wow the women are truly smart and beautiful safe boxes are easy access and they service as to what to do is right there. Love to go back!

Room Tip: As far away from the Oyster Bar as Possible
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear valued guest,
Thank you so much for taking up for the hotel, it put a smile on my face to read such an expressive email. I am glad to hear that you where able to partake in some of the festivities during your last stay and I feel that you pinpointed what makes us unique – we are still very much Mexico and there is no other place in the world quite like Mazatlán. I hear your comments about the concrete beds, we have been modifying and remodeling many of our rooms since your last stay. Many of the men in my family are as well large men, and this seemed to be a common complaint from them as well as our other guests. We now inlcude a box spring over the cement slab which allows for a much more comfortable night of sleep, and they are still firm. I am honored by your comment about “five star service”, we hope that you will visit again soon and have the opportunity to enjoy some of the updated ammenities and services that the hotel now has to offer, please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service with this or any other request.
Lake Country, British Columbia Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

I agree with tcombs review .. we also had key problems in our room and obviously not fixed as we were there earlier than the other patron.. we had to get our keys re keyed 3 times.. not good... the noise with these young adults they get on the weekends from different parts of mexico is unbearable.. they kept us up 3 nites .. loud parties and hollering on the beach... security could not control them.. the hotel is very nice except for this which is an important part of our vacation.. we enjoy a restful sleep and this was not possible ... I will not be staying at this property again .. I would rather go to property who does not take in these young partier students... the beach cabanas were a mess the next morning with booze bottles and beer cans .. I felt sorry for the clean up men that had to clean these messes up.. many other patrons complained about the noise and key problems also..

Room Tip: ocean view the best
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank catlady051
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear valued guest;
As you might have noted on the “tcombs” review you mention, we expressed our sincerest apologies for the situated you went through during your last stay. Please note that we do not traditionally take on these kinds of groups as we are recognized as a Family hotel. We have dealt with the group responsible and will not allow them back on the property. I hope that we will have an opportunity in future to change your mind about our facilities.
Regards,
Golden, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

The Hotel Playa is a low rise paradise in the Golden Zone of Mazatlan. We have been staying there since 1972 and have always enjoyed every trip. The Hotel is well maintained, clean, and safe. The staff goes out of their way to make your trip as enjoyable and stress free as possible. Of course, as a guest, it is also your responsibility to be courteous and generous toward them including making some attempts to learn some basic manners and Spanish. Apparently many of the Norte Americanos have forgotten the basics. We just completed our two week stay at the Playa and will be returning shortly for a more extended stay. I want to thank all of the staff for their kindness and help during our recent trip. Especially, without limitation, I want to thank Elizabeth - Concierge for everything she always does to make things smooth. Also Minerva in the Terraza Restaurant for her help along with all of the wait staff who are always pleasant and friendly. On the beach the Playa is lucky to have Alfredo and Humberto to take care of the guests. We always have great service also from Julian who seems to be everywhere when you need help in the restaurant or with room service. We very much enjoyed the service and food provided by Jesus and staff at Georgini's upstairs. The hotel is always clean and well patrolled. There are some noise issues, but you have to live with some of that. The beach area is beautiful and clean. I think if you go the Playa with the right attitude and accept that it is an older Mexican Hotel property with all of the charm that goes with it that you will enjoy a wonderful vacation. It seems that some of the reviewers are always looking for the most modern up to date spot where they can use their electronics and other devices instead of relaxing.

Thanks again to everyone at the Playa

Room Tip: Pay for an Ocean View Room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Robert D
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear valued guest,
We appreciare your continued loyalty and appreciation for our unique architecture. I will personally thank all the above mentioned for impacting your stay and making sure that you are able to enjoy what a real beachside vacation should offer – Lots of relaxation-. Please feel free to contact me if i can be of service during your next trip, as we would like to make sure taht things continue to be as expected or better.

Best Wishes and Safe travels,
Edmonton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

Very clean, friendly staff (as always in Mexico) Room & view better much better than expected. The property was built in 1955 and for me did not show it's age. It has the traditional tiles with slight Mexican flare so to speak. Room was clean by noon every day. The first few days were a little noisy as 700 students were checked into 200 rooms. They stayed only two nights so I can forgive the two nights of occasional yelling between midnight and 4 am, They're kids having fun just like we all did at that age. I've read the other reviews that state the view is no longer? I paid for Ocean view and received Ocean front room. People who pay for garden view could get the Oyster Bar or a pool. You usually get what you pay for. The resort is by no means a 4 star, it's a 2.5 to 3 star. The A la Carte's, Casa Roberto's was basically a fast food place with pleasant casual décor. It is also open to the public. If one had to pay, for 100 peso's ($10.00) I had a taco, two enchilada's, cup of soup, a beer. // Georgini’s, (Italian) was more a formal dining room with excellent service. The food was very good. I had the beef carpacio followed by Beef tenderloin. Very tasty and compares to our Alberta beef in Canada. Our group also had the salmon and it was cooked to perfection. If not for the buffet "La Terraza" marks would have been higher. It appeared that they were catering to their Mexican guests which they cannot be faulted for as tourism has been down due to fears of violence. People, there is nothing to worry about unless you put yourself in harms way. We walked the streets during the day without incident. Would you walk anywhere at night in your own home town? I've noticed that many people do not tip in all-inclusive resorts. For about $15.00 maximum a day you can live like a king & queen. The Mexican people work hard for us to enjoy ourselves so why not reward them? All in all another great week in Mexico.

Room Tip: Ocean front is always good choice. I've changed rooms at different resorts because I was not hap...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank kstuart
Dear valued guest,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment on your stay and on some of the various amenities the hotel has to offer, we thank you for as well inviting other guest to come visit our destination. I hope that we have the opportunity to be of service to you again in the near future, and I offer my personal assistance if needed.

Safe travels,
calif
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

First the good. Great location. It is right on the beach; and they have a large expanse of beach - perhaps one of the largest in the bay. The beach is clean, the water warm, their beach side seating is great with plenty of shade. Service has been great. The staff goes the extra mile and is pleasant. The hotel is older, but they apparently keep updating and renovating. A few glitches which they really need to fix, but I am not seeing it happen at least while I am here. The elevator in our wing has gone out repeatedly and they key card system is required a number of guests to have to have their card rekeyed. This has been happening for the last 4 days. Now the bad. NOISE. Next door on the South end is Joe Oyster's they play LOUD music until 3-4 am. The Playa has no control over that; but it is extremely irritating. For 4 days there was a large influx of college kids who have kept guest up until about 3 am, and security seemed unable or unwilling to address the problem. In addition the Mexican bands were playing for hours at a time on the beach in front of the hotel. I am not passing judgment on the custom, but if you are coming down here to relax...you might have to rethink it. If this is a normal weekend occurrence - wow. I really want to come back here but am really having second thoughts due to the noise factor. The response of the hotel to the problem was slow and inadequate. So if going be sure there won't be any large group of kids there, and confirm a room on the North end as "Joe's Oyster Bar" seems to play almost every night.

Room Tip: North end rooms. Getting a ocean view room is worth it. Rooms on 4th floor will be quieter
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank tcombs
Dear valued guest,

I am writting in response, to your comments and critiques about your recent stay here at the Playa Mazatlán Beach Hotel. I am very thankfull for your kind comments about our location, staff and service; please note that we take great pride in making every guest feel well atended and satisfied.

In regards to your notes about some of the up-keep and maintenance

- Key card issue: During the period in which you where here, we had an emergency update to the key system, that required all new keys to be reset; it turns out that the day that this happened we where at 95% occupancy and hundreds of rooms where affected. It will not happen again as the change taht was made solidifies this. We truly apologize for the inconvenience.
- Elevator: We are in the process of planning an update to this equipment, as it seems regular maintenace is starting to flail, we should have this changed by your next visit.
- Noise from kids: I am sure you noted that we beefed up security and requested support from local authorities to evacuate a large ammount of these students from the premises, as you know we do not take on these kind of tours as a hotel or a destination, and we where unable to pinpoint it as a group, until they where already here, because we received their reservations independently. Your security and confort are our main priority, and I can guarantee that this is not an issue that will repeat itself.
- Noise from Joes Oyster Bar: This is an ongonig battle between us, and the owners of the bar, as you mention there is nothing we can truly do, but submit your complaints, what we would recommend is to make your opinión Heard via this same website, but to their management staff (Ramada Hotel).

We hope this resolves some of your concerns, please feel free to contact me direct if I can personally be of service to you.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

The last time I was in Mazatlan was about sixteen years ago. Back then one can still see the beach from the street. Not so today. High rise hotels and stores cover up the view.

I'm writing this review on my last night on a four night stay at Hotel Play Mazatlan. I am underwhelmed which is another way of saying that I am not impressed.

It started with my check in. At about 10 o'clock in the morning the lobby was already filled with large crowds of people. There was some type of a Tae Kwon Do tournament going on. Understandably I thought the front bell staff is probably too busy to greet a guest or offer to help with my luggage.

There was only one person ahead of me in the check in line so I thought it wouldn't take long before I was served. Not so. It took about 40 minutes for me to get ahead of the line. The reason was that, despite the the signs that said "Please wait your turn" in English and Spanish, the receptionist kept serving those who kept cutting in line. I had to finally insist on my turn.

I was given a room at the east end of the property on the fourth floor. The elevator wasn't working so after I asked for help, a bell hop helped me lug my luggage on four flights of stairs. It's not really too bad if it wasn't for the hot and rainy weather...and humidity.

My room it turned out overlooks Joe's Oyster Bar next door which at night cracks up an all night fiesta complete with a jumbotron screen to accompany the spectacularly loud speaker system. Even with the sliding door shut closed, it sounded like the party was right inside my room. The music wasn't too annoying so I thought I'd tolerate it and with the aid of a sleeping pill I was able to get some sleep on the first night...and second night. On the third night, I finally called the front desk to move me to another room. Without any apologies, and after being told that I am being upgraded to another room without charge, I finally had a peaceful sleep on Playa Mazatlan.

Hotel Playa Mazatlan has been here for over 60 years being the first to be built on the Zona Dorada. It's a sprawling property that stretches out for a block. But although the grounds are well kept, the rest of the property is tired and....well, old. It can probably use a major overhaul. Flat screen TVs and new pillow top mattresses help to bring it into the present era. But the 1980's phone being you back to....well in the 1980's.

One thing for sure, Hotel Playa sits on prime beach property and sitting on a balcony facing the ocean makes you forget the details that are not there like good service from the front office staff. A well meaning smile with a hearty "Buenas Dias" would do.

As big as this hotel is, there are minimal to no signs to direct one to any of the property's amenities. One just have to wander around until...O this must be the Terraza Restaurant. Or wander around some more until..O that must be the Sports Bar up on the second floor. What's that up ahead...O it's the gym and the spa.

Just don't ask the staff where things are because they'll just look at you like you're too dense to find things on your own.

I will be back to Mazatlan again soon but I don't think I'll put Hotel Playa in my preferred list to stay.

Room Tip: Ask to be out to the "newer" part of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank PilgrimsRegress
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear valued guest,

I am writting to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us. I am saddened to hear some of your opinions yet they inspire me to continue to strive for success and perfection, as our motto is to “always keep moving forward” I am sruprised to hear that you did not notice many of the other upgraded ammenities in the room, and that the phone was the object that stood out to you the most in your room, allthough they are as you mention a “throwback to the ‘80” I find them to be more nostalgic than anything else, and from what I can tell they are rarelly used by our guest with the advent of cellphones, I will in fact take your note and consider upgrading these during the next year. In regards to the noise issue, please note that eventhough there is a sound ordinanze and we look for assistance from city and state authorities to enforce them, we have no authority to go into a neighboring property and change their volumen settings, we have in fact added doublé panned Windows, a concrete wall and offer complimentary ear plugs when requested, in the hopes of alloting our guests the rest they are looking for, also, as you mention we have many room options available, and are able to accomodate moves with the occassional upgrade as an apology at no added cost. As for the signage – point taken- we will work on adding more of it, as it seems that the maps located in the room directory, arrival package and elevators, is not sufficient.

In regards to the front desk; I took the time to review the dates of your arrival, so that I may better understand why the deal existed, and as you mentioned we had a large group arrival, that was coming in in various turns under the same reservation, which perhaps made it seem as if they where cutting in line, due to this issue, we have established an area from groups to check in that is separate from the individual arrival desk. We hope that this will help in resolving this issue moving forward, and again we appreciate you pointing out an area of opportunity for us.

Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if I can be of service to you personally.
Best wishes and Safe travels,