“Second Stay and We Will Return!”

Hotel Playa Mazatlan
Ranked #4 of 79 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersGold level
Atascadero, California
“Second Stay and We Will Return!”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Review Paradise in Paradise says it all! I stayed for the 2nd time with my 7 yr. old grandson over Thanksgiving Vaacation. I chose Hotel Playa the 1st time because of the great Trip Advisor reviews. Stayed there again because it is such an Amazing hotel; I wouldn't consider staying elsewhere! The hotel's ambience, beautiful beach, friendly staff everywhere, delicious food, fun Kid's Club, activities and shows make this the very best place to stay! We will return next year! My special thank you to Elizabeth, the Concierge, manager Raul, assist. manager Miguel, favorite bell boy and friend Rudolfo (Rudy), breakfast servers Regino & Pedro, dinner servers Jorge & Abraham, Terazza bartender Daniel, and all the others who made our stay another unforgettable experience! The All Inclusive? Food was absolutely delicious everywhere! Italian Restaurant must be a 5 star ( the beef medallions & Lasagna were our favorite). If you stay once, you'll never stay elsewhere! See you next Thanksgiving ( will be thinking about the lovely Turkey dinner you provided)!!! Gracias to all!

Room Tip: Loved our Ocean View room in the tower; quiet & beautiful sunrises & sunsets from our balcon...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank imissMaz
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear valued guest.
We are very touched by your promise to return and your already returning business, I am very pleased to hear that specific members of our team helped in making this an unforgettable experience. I will personally pass on your comments and thank them for everything that they do. It sounds like you had an opportunity to take advantage of the whole property and our amenities, which makes us proud. Thank you again for your continued business. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service in planning your next stay.
LT VIENT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Seaside, Oregon
Reviewed 25 December 2013

We've stayed at playa Mazatlan about 20 years now, and have never had a bad experience. From desk clerks to housekeeping to waitstaff, to gardeners. It's a lovely well groomed, well managed hotel, and I can't think of ever staying anywhere else in Mazatlan

Room Tip: Garden rooms are more economical, have a great view of pools and there's a lovely poi garden. N...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Catherine S
Dear valued guest,
Thank you for your continued loyalty and travels to our city and Hotel. It is always a pleasure to be of service, and we look forward to your next visit.
edmonton
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We have been to Mazatlan twice. Both times staying at Riu Emerald Bay. My husband stayed at Playa about 15 years ago. This time we spent 2 weeks there was large group 1st week at the Riu And only 4 of us stayed on for 2nd week and transferred to the Playa. Best choice ever! We moved to this hotel and felt a much more relaxed atmosphere. Hotel very clean and so much more authentic. And in the heart of the Golden Zone. Beach at this hotel was very nice,clean and gentle waves. Some local vendors who never forgot us were a little persistant but kept us entertained each day. Rooms large and clean only downfall we has ocean view over band at night. Not best choice but next time we know. Friends had ocean view but not over band their room was nice also. Quieter. Food very good. Fresh and tasty. No complaints at all. Italian al a carte was awesome! Shows we're good very talented. Snack bar good everything prepared a la carte which is nice not sitting buffet getting soggy. We hardly did the pools since beach was so peaceful. We really enjoyed the smaller hotel atmosphere here you need to run to room during day is quick. Safety deposit boxes behind front desk concered about that but it was actually less of a worry. Worked out well. Did some tours. Private Tequila factory was very good. Jet boats from marina was a lot of fun. Guys deep seas fished not good day when they went out. Markets downtown are worth a look. Have to do Palmonias when there,only way to travel, many drivers will give you very nice tour. Playa Mazatlan. Would I go back? for sure! Was very peaceful,relaxing hotel in heart of the city. We have travelled to many Mexican destinations. Mainly Pacific side,we do enjoy that more. Worth checking out this resort. Couple restaurants to mention. Of course Panchos in the golden zone. La Puntila in the harbour had the best shrimp ever!
Any questions feel free to ask! Back in snowy Canada for 2weeks now. Mazatlan beautiful city, always enjoyable! Meet the locals. They love their city and are very good guides!

Room Tip: Oceanfront good but make sure not over the band that plays each night
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank cherlea
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Dear valued guest,
I am thrilled to hear that you had a great experience in our port, and from the sounds of it, you had the opportunity to truly inmerce yourself in some of the various activities and tours, as well as finding a few of our gastronomic gems along the way. I am also very pleased to hear that your experience with us here at the Playa Mazatlán Beach Hotel was one that you look forward to repeating. As a memebr of the management staff and the family of owners I take all feedback to heart and work hard toward making chages when needed, so hearing that we are doing good and able to compete with some of the International Titans, makes me very proud of our family of staff members and our facilities. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service in setting up your next visit.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 22 December 2013

This was our first trip to Mexico and decided on this hotel as we like to stay with local businesses when traveling - it was a older hotel with wonderful Mexican touches and colour. We opted for the all inclusive as all we planned was a relaxing time staying local apart from a few local tours to visit some of the key sights. Room was clean, with beach/ocean view, TV good space, constant hot shower, wi-fi and balcony. Meals were good - however due to our dietary needs (no meat, but fish is okay) there were some limitations, and only could have the buffet - had we known this with the limitations, we would not have gone for the all inclusive! Also some of the restaurants were not open or available every night so choice was somewhat limited. Next time we will go for the breakfast only and eat at one of the many local (walking distance) restaurants. check in was smooth and Norma was very polite and helpful. A choice of four pools - well equipped gym, food/snacks available all day. Private beach was a perfect way to spend a lazy few hours or all day - shade if you needed it and would be constantly asked if there was anything we needed. I see some other opinions mention noise - there were clubs and other hotels close by and could be disturbing - we stayed at the north end of the hotel which was less noisy. good for families or couples - helpful staff and service with a smile.

Room Tip: Check on options if you go for all inclusive, which restaurants are open and when. stay on north sid...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank honestopinion86
Dear valued guest,

I feel honored to know that we had the opportunity to be the first resort to serve you when visitng Mexico, I hope that we were able to do good on the badge of service that the country has, and that our staff and other service members were able to fulfill your needs. I am glad that you feel that we are well geared to working with families and/or couples as this is our main market. In regards to your comments about options; it sounds as if we could have possibly worked something out for your specific dietary needs, please do not hesítate to contact me direct on your next trip, so that we may design a menu that will work for you.

We look forward to having you and yours visit us again soon.

Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I'm writing this review a week into our 11 day stay. This hotel is located right on the beach in Mazatlan. My husband and I stayed with the all inclusive option and had a semi beach front room on the fourth floor away from joes oyster bar which we were very thankful for as this is a loud bar. The food is excellent here especially Georgina's the Italian al la carte, Abraham works at this resteraunt and he is absolutely fantastic! He is attentive and works hard to get to know you and make you comfortable. Other excellent waiters we had were Pavlo, andres and Raymondo they take great care of their patrons! The hotel was very quiet for the first part of the stay but picked up around Dec 20 as this is when the natives have the start of their holidays. I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for a low key, relaxing vacation with authentic Mexican food and decor.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Dear valued guest,
We trully appreciate you taking the time to express your opinión about our property, and give personal recognition to so many of our servers, it is an honor to hear that you where with us for as long as 11 days, Hopefully we will soon have the opportunity to build new memories and serve you. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service in planning your next stay.
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here over the Christmas holiday in 2010 and so far, it's been the best vacation we ever had. We had a second floor room overlooking the beach and the islands, with two giant palm trees right outside our balcony. So relaxing! The room was clean and comfortable, breakfast at the restaurant offered a choice of American or Mexican breakfast and we always got a table right by the beach. The staff were super helpful and arranged several excursions for us, as well as transportation to and from the airport. Loved the main pool with its little café. Best thing about it, though, was walking back to the hotel along the beach after a couple of mai tais. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean-facing room at the north end of the hotel. Great for people-watching, and out o...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear valued guest,
It is with great pleassure that I respond, to such great comments about your experience in our facility and surrounded by our family of staff memebers. I too like to partake on the walks back on the beach after of couple of drinks; yet I prefer the “mojitos”. Hopefully you will return soon and have a chance to taste those as well. We trully appreciate you taking the time to post such wonderfull comments about the hotel. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service in making arrangements for your next visit.
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I was there in March 2005, had a blast! we sleep like the dead so really the racket some complained about...... I mean we were there when Mexico was in some Baseball playoffs I get it and joined in! I don't have to get up at 6am? I am on Holiday, I tip well and therefore I am treated well. Service for us was 5 Star again Tip and you are a King, My beach service was amazing The food was amazing the grounds were safe, the only issue I had was I am a large man physical man and the cement bed got old but again in that humidity what can you do? I loved the city it was old Mexico I felt safe all the time and on the property very safe. The Beach and Gulf are perfect this place is home feeling not like Americana up in Cancun...The front desk is friendly well dressed and wow the women are truly smart and beautiful safe boxes are easy access and they service as to what to do is right there. Love to go back!

Room Tip: As far away from the Oyster Bar as Possible
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear valued guest,
Thank you so much for taking up for the hotel, it put a smile on my face to read such an expressive email. I am glad to hear that you where able to partake in some of the festivities during your last stay and I feel that you pinpointed what makes us unique – we are still very much Mexico and there is no other place in the world quite like Mazatlán. I hear your comments about the concrete beds, we have been modifying and remodeling many of our rooms since your last stay. Many of the men in my family are as well large men, and this seemed to be a common complaint from them as well as our other guests. We now inlcude a box spring over the cement slab which allows for a much more comfortable night of sleep, and they are still firm. I am honored by your comment about “five star service”, we hope that you will visit again soon and have the opportunity to enjoy some of the updated ammenities and services that the hotel now has to offer, please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service with this or any other request.