“Great time at the Playa!”

Hotel Playa Mazatlan
Ranked #3 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My family and I recently stayed at Playa Mazatla. There were a total of 7 of us and all had a fantastic time. The resort was quiet just after New Years but the staff was attentive and we got to know a lot of them by name. It is very family friendly as we had a 3 yr. old and an 8 yr. old with us. They painted ceramics every day with Miguel(I believe that was his name) who has been there when we went 10+ years ago. We were all inclusive and were treated top notch. My only complaint......after painting ceramics for 7 days my bag was heavy. It would have been nice if the hotel had a scale that you could use to see where you were at due to the change in regulations on the airlines you can no longer carry on ceramics they have to be packed. We will definetly go again!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear valued guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your recent experience, and we are thrilled to hear you came back to visit us after so many years. The painters name is Manuel, I will let him know that he again received mention on this site, and that the comments where favorable as usual. I was unaware about the change in policy for ceramics, and I think that your advise on the matter is something doable, I will speak with my management team to see if it will be feasible to obtain a scale that can meet this purpose. I hope we will have the opportunity to be of service to you and yours again soon, please feel free to contact me if I can personally be of service.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

I have no complaints other than hard beds and too much noise until midnight. Everything else was either fine, or really good. Our ocean view room overlooked the dining/dancing area and there was live music every night. It was well attended every night so they were having fun. I couldn't get to sleep. I'm not sure if this was just because it was New Years week or if it's normal.

The beach is great. The location is great. Access to dining, shopping, transportation, banks, etc is awesome. The staff was good, really friendly and helpful. The hotel is clean and well kept. The rooms are plenty big enough. Just get me a decent bed/pillows and I'd be happy going back any time.

Room Tip: Beds are hard, pillows are flat. Our room overlooked the dining and dancing area. There was live mus...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AlergicToSnow
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear valued guest,

We appreciate your understanding and candor about the rooms and all around situation of the hotel. As mentioned holidays do tend to bring out a few more rowdy people than usual, as it is part of our culture to constantly celebrate. I would be happy to discuss various room options that would offer either a better location (further from music) or added amenities, as the hotel has 19 different categories of rooms. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service in planning for your next stay, and going over some of the various options I mention.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

it took nearly 2 hours to get our rooms! but the worst part was that nobody was in charge or proactive enough to find a solution! it doesn't matter how nice a place looks if the service it's no good! it's no moneys worth

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Guillermo B
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear valued guest,

I am writing in the hopes of following up on your comments, as a member of the family of owners and management team, we find it very important to look further into complaints by part of our guests. As you might have noticed in the majority of our other reviews, service is not an area in which we are usually lacking, so I would like to better understand your personal situation in the hopes of resolving the issues for future guests, and hopefully one day for you and yours. Please contact me direct and let me know more about what the particulars where I would truly appreciate your direction. I am curious to hear if the delay had something to do with your time of arrival, as we are particularly booked during this time of the year so rooms are rarely becoming available prior to their check in time (3:00pm)

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Review Paradise in Paradise says it all! I stayed for the 2nd time with my 7 yr. old grandson over Thanksgiving Vaacation. I chose Hotel Playa the 1st time because of the great Trip Advisor reviews. Stayed there again because it is such an Amazing hotel; I wouldn't consider staying elsewhere! The hotel's ambience, beautiful beach, friendly staff everywhere, delicious food, fun Kid's Club, activities and shows make this the very best place to stay! We will return next year! My special thank you to Elizabeth, the Concierge, manager Raul, assist. manager Miguel, favorite bell boy and friend Rudolfo (Rudy), breakfast servers Regino & Pedro, dinner servers Jorge & Abraham, Terazza bartender Daniel, and all the others who made our stay another unforgettable experience! The All Inclusive? Food was absolutely delicious everywhere! Italian Restaurant must be a 5 star ( the beef medallions & Lasagna were our favorite). If you stay once, you'll never stay elsewhere! See you next Thanksgiving ( will be thinking about the lovely Turkey dinner you provided)!!! Gracias to all!

Room Tip: Loved our Ocean View room in the tower; quiet & beautiful sunrises & sunsets from our balcon...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank imissMaz

Dear valued guest.
We are very touched by your promise to return and your already returning business, I am very pleased to hear that specific members of our team helped in making this an unforgettable experience. I will personally pass on your comments and thank them for everything that they do. It sounds like you had an opportunity to take advantage of the whole property and our amenities, which makes us proud. Thank you again for your continued business. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service in planning your next stay.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

We've stayed at playa Mazatlan about 20 years now, and have never had a bad experience. From desk clerks to housekeeping to waitstaff, to gardeners. It's a lovely well groomed, well managed hotel, and I can't think of ever staying anywhere else in Mazatlan

Room Tip: Garden rooms are more economical, have a great view of pools and there's a lovely poi garden. N...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Catherine S

Dear valued guest,
Thank you for your continued loyalty and travels to our city and Hotel. It is always a pleasure to be of service, and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

We have been to Mazatlan twice. Both times staying at Riu Emerald Bay. My husband stayed at Playa about 15 years ago. This time we spent 2 weeks there was large group 1st week at the Riu And only 4 of us stayed on for 2nd week and transferred to the Playa. Best choice ever! We moved to this hotel and felt a much more relaxed atmosphere. Hotel very clean and so much more authentic. And in the heart of the Golden Zone. Beach at this hotel was very nice,clean and gentle waves. Some local vendors who never forgot us were a little persistant but kept us entertained each day. Rooms large and clean only downfall we has ocean view over band at night. Not best choice but next time we know. Friends had ocean view but not over band their room was nice also. Quieter. Food very good. Fresh and tasty. No complaints at all. Italian al a carte was awesome! Shows we're good very talented. Snack bar good everything prepared a la carte which is nice not sitting buffet getting soggy. We hardly did the pools since beach was so peaceful. We really enjoyed the smaller hotel atmosphere here you need to run to room during day is quick. Safety deposit boxes behind front desk concered about that but it was actually less of a worry. Worked out well. Did some tours. Private Tequila factory was very good. Jet boats from marina was a lot of fun. Guys deep seas fished not good day when they went out. Markets downtown are worth a look. Have to do Palmonias when there,only way to travel, many drivers will give you very nice tour. Playa Mazatlan. Would I go back? for sure! Was very peaceful,relaxing hotel in heart of the city. We have travelled to many Mexican destinations. Mainly Pacific side,we do enjoy that more. Worth checking out this resort. Couple restaurants to mention. Of course Panchos in the golden zone. La Puntila in the harbour had the best shrimp ever!
Any questions feel free to ask! Back in snowy Canada for 2weeks now. Mazatlan beautiful city, always enjoyable! Meet the locals. They love their city and are very good guides!

Room Tip: Oceanfront good but make sure not over the band that plays each night
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank cherlea
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Dear valued guest,
I am thrilled to hear that you had a great experience in our port, and from the sounds of it, you had the opportunity to truly inmerce yourself in some of the various activities and tours, as well as finding a few of our gastronomic gems along the way. I am also very pleased to hear that your experience with us here at the Playa Mazatlán Beach Hotel was one that you look forward to repeating. As a memebr of the management staff and the family of owners I take all feedback to heart and work hard toward making chages when needed, so hearing that we are doing good and able to compete with some of the International Titans, makes me very proud of our family of staff members and our facilities. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service in setting up your next visit.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

This was our first trip to Mexico and decided on this hotel as we like to stay with local businesses when traveling - it was a older hotel with wonderful Mexican touches and colour. We opted for the all inclusive as all we planned was a relaxing time staying local apart from a few local tours to visit some of the key sights. Room was clean, with beach/ocean view, TV good space, constant hot shower, wi-fi and balcony. Meals were good - however due to our dietary needs (no meat, but fish is okay) there were some limitations, and only could have the buffet - had we known this with the limitations, we would not have gone for the all inclusive! Also some of the restaurants were not open or available every night so choice was somewhat limited. Next time we will go for the breakfast only and eat at one of the many local (walking distance) restaurants. check in was smooth and Norma was very polite and helpful. A choice of four pools - well equipped gym, food/snacks available all day. Private beach was a perfect way to spend a lazy few hours or all day - shade if you needed it and would be constantly asked if there was anything we needed. I see some other opinions mention noise - there were clubs and other hotels close by and could be disturbing - we stayed at the north end of the hotel which was less noisy. good for families or couples - helpful staff and service with a smile.

Room Tip: Check on options if you go for all inclusive, which restaurants are open and when. stay on north sid...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank honestopinion86

Dear valued guest,

I feel honored to know that we had the opportunity to be the first resort to serve you when visitng Mexico, I hope that we were able to do good on the badge of service that the country has, and that our staff and other service members were able to fulfill your needs. I am glad that you feel that we are well geared to working with families and/or couples as this is our main market. In regards to your comments about options; it sounds as if we could have possibly worked something out for your specific dietary needs, please do not hesítate to contact me direct on your next trip, so that we may design a menu that will work for you.

We look forward to having you and yours visit us again soon.