“Can't sleep”

Hotel Playa Mazatlan
Ranked #3 of 79 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Pro:

1. location: hotel is right on the beach.

2. friendly staff: they checked us in early although it was before check in time.

Con:

1. Despite positive reviews about food, food was not fresh in La Terreza and limited in selection. I am not a fan of Mexican food but enjoyed food at Mexican restaurant because it was fresh.

2. Shower is really old.

3. Getting a good night's sleep was a challenge.

On Tuesday night (2/18/14), there were guys sitting outside of the sports bar making noise until around 2am. After I called the front desk, they seem to be quite.

On Wednesday night (2/19/14), I called the front desk 4 times starting around 11:50pm to report the loud crowd outside of the sports bar. But the noise continued on. Around 12:30amI went down and asked the 4 guys to lower their voice as I am trying to sleep. When that did not work, I called the front desk again and was offered to sleep in another room. I took the offer and went to another room only to find it had its own humming machine or AC noise constantly; this room was located inside the hotel complex and close to some sort of machine, probably AC unit. Around 2am, I went back to the front desk and told them about the AC noise in the new room and went back to my room, which was an ocean view room as I liked to fall asleep with the sound of waves. Luckily, those guys were gone. But I did not get much sleep for 2 nights in a row and am very happy to check out of this hotel soon.

I would not recommend this hotel. There are better all inclusive hotels elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Grace H
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

RESPUESTA:

Dear valued guest,
I am sorry to hear of your experience, and that our efforts to assist by moving you to other rooms where not sufficient to satisfy your needs. Please note that we always strive to meet our clients request, but are not always able to fulfill them. I am as well surprised to hear about your experience in our restaurants; as you noted we are constantly being recognized for our food, I will check to see what was going on during the dates that you mention. We appreciate your kind remarks about our staff and location.
Please feel free to contact me direct if we can be of service in discussing this matter further, as we would love to have the opportunity to change your experience with us.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Playa Mazatlan

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed for 5 glorious weeks this time. A well-run hotel with incredible staff in all departments. The management is making various improvements to the facilities and property -- and they certainly keep the place well maintained.
There's lots of dining options and we loved the higher emphasis the Chefs put on Mexican food on the weekends (a time when many locals come to enjoy the hotel's restaurants). We even tried and enjoyed menudo after mesero David should us how to spice it up with lime and hot sauce! Only suggestion we would make would be to have Roberto's restaurant open for supper more often.

Room Tip: Ocean view is worth the extra!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear valued guest,
We are thrilled and honored to hear that we were again able to make an impact on your stay, and that you have noticed our various efforts, towards renovation. It is always a pleasure to hear that our guests appreciate the changes. I will let David know that he has created a fan of Menudo, as I know he always tries with our foreign guests – thank you for taking the leap!. I agree with your comments about Casa Roberto, please note that we maintain it open as much as possible based on the hotel occupancy and the rotation of personnel to our other service areas, but we will continue to strive to meet the needs of our guests and work towards a feasible solution that allows them to partake in as many of our culinary experiences as possible. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service in establishing your next visit.

Best Wishes and Safe travels,

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We just got home from a 2 week stay at the Hotel Playa Mazatlan for the 15th time. This is still a great resort with wonderful staff. When first time guests ask us why we keep coming back year after year we tell them it is because of the wonderful staff and repeat guests who we have become friends with over the years. We can settle in quickly and be in holiday mode right away. When you only have 2 weeks you have no time to waste. The resort is always well maintained and noticed this year even more so with no empty cups or plates around the pool area, on the beach or anywhere for that matter . There are new garbage and recycling containers at the beach and even the vendors are using them, I was really impressed. The main pool was a perfect temperature each day which was not the case in the last few previous years so thank you for that. We booked a deluxe room category and had a pillowtop mattress which was very comfortable. There is plenty of hot water for showers with great water pressure and the air conditioning in the rooms always works great. The rooms are always cleaned to perfection. I do notice on weekends when the resort is busier we do not always get a facecloth or bathmat restocked, I do not know if there is not enough to go around or if this gets forgotten to get stocked in the room because by Tuesday we again have faceclothes and a bathmat. We use the gym every day and sometimes it can get crowded in there, it is too bad there is not a larger area that can be used for the gym because I have seen on several occasions over the years someone will come to work out and leave immediately because it is just too crowded, it only takes about 6 people in the gym and there is no room anymore, you have to be careful if you are lifting weights that you don't accidentally hit someone with a weight. The service and food in the restaurants is wonderful. We were very greatful to have such a wonderful vacation and are starting to plan for next year.

Room Tip: Book a room in the North Tower facing the ocean so you do not get the noise from Joe's Oyster Ba...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear valued guest,
We feel honored to hear that we are your hotel of choice when visiting our beautiful port, and we are thrilled to hear that some of the new implementations around the hotel are to your liking. I will take your thoughts on our gym into consideration to what the possibilities of improving the facilities are. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service in establishing your reservations for next year.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

The Playa seems to live on and on. It would be hard to believe that there is a hotel with friendlier and more helpful staff. The resort was super clean and very well staffed. I went all inclusive and found the food to be very good...the breakfast smorg is outstanding. Next time I'm going to opt out of all inclusive because of all of the great eating houses within a 5 minute walk. I believe the Playa has a breakfast only plan as well. The beachfront was well maintained and vendors seemed to be at a minimum during my stay. A simple "no gracious" was sufficient to have them move along. If I had to pick something that bothered me it would be that they seem to like keeping public areas quite dark...For those into ceramics there is a gentleman who works from the lobby who will paint any logo or emblem on a plate for display as well as many other figurines...worth a look, I had 2 plates of our hockey team done for a total of $200 pesos and they turned out incredible for hand painting.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms can be a bit noisy until the restaurant shuts down at 10:30 but it didn't bothe...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Dear valued guest,
We truly appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments about our facilities, and I am glad to hear that we were able to impact your stay in a positive manner. Please note that we do offer a breakfast package and we would be happy to assist you in learning more about it if need be. In regards to the painter (Manuel) I as well have a couple of his pieces hanging in my rec-room I will let him know that he received a positive mention on this forum. In regards to the lighting, our goal is to offer an ambient lighting, but I will review with our technicians to see if there is a way to increase the amount of light that is present. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service

Reviewed 15 February 2014

The rooms were clean and the staff were beyond amazing. Very helpful and outgoing. My children had a blast. The zip lining and the staff were amazing. Lots of tour's and information available for anything that you would like to do. Couldn't ask for a better vacation. After the first day I was so relaxed. When it was time to leave I felt like we had been there for two weeks. My children didn't want to leave. We are already planning on returning this winter.

Room Tip: We had a garden view for the first few day's and it was quiet and had a beautiful view. Then we...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jo-Ann M
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear valued guest,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to post such wonderful comments, about our staff, facility and overall your experience while visiting with us, we feel honored to hear that we will have the opportunity to serve you in the near future, please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of personal service.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

The Hotel Playa Mazatlan is the very first hotel constructed in Mazatlan. Although the original building is old, the hotel is very modern. We arranged in advance to be picked up at the airport and returned after our stay of five nights. Cost $35.00 each and well worth it. Check in was a breeze, very fast and efficient. Our room was on the main floor with a view of the ocean. (we paid extra for this and consider it a must) The room contained two double beds, flat screen TV, small table for two with chairs, a walk-in closet, dresser and a couple of wooden rocking chairs. Sliding glass doors opened onto the terrace overlooking the beach and ocean. There was a very large walk- in shower in the bathroom that was most welcoming at the end of the day.
The hotel is impeccably clean, the rooms, the walkways, the pools, the dining areas, the gardens and the beach. The staff works hard and does a tremendous job. Francine looked after our room with many extra touches. The food was very good, lots of variety. The evening buffet shows were most enjoyable and very well presented. We opted for the “all inclusive” and were not disappointed.
There appear to be many repeat customers from the U.S. and Canada that come back year after year, also a fair number of young Mexican families.
The only negative about our stay was the beds! You cannot push the double beds together because they are mattress on a concrete slab. Very hard and do not move!
If you are looking for lots of action, I would suggest checking out other hotels but if you want laid back and quiet, the Hotel Playa fits the bill.

Room Tip: Pay extra for ocean view.
1  Thank Hawleydaze

Dear valued guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to give us such a positive review, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed our amenities and various dining options, it is always a pleasure to hear that we were able to have a positive impact on your stay, we look forward to having the opportunity to serve you once again. Please feel free to contact me if I can personally be of service to you.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

We’ve just returned from a week’s stay in Mazatlan at the ever marvellous Playa.

First visit there was fifty years back and have returned over a half dozen times since.

On this occasion we bought a package with flights, room and all inclusive meal plan. The hotel website and the tour operator both outlined a wide variety of a la carte and buffet restaurant choices throughout the day but there were discrepancies between them. No replies to my three separate e-mails to the hotel asking for clarification should have raised louder alarm bells.

Upon an efficient check-in we were given a somewhat complicated schedule that outlined the hours and descriptions of five restaurant/snack bars. The sole one of these that was open every day was the buffet in La Terraza, the lovely main dining room over looking the beach. While the cold breakfast items were good the hot ones were poor and mainly closer to the fresh fruit in terms of temperature. The a la carte restaurants were not much of an improvement. The one excellent meal we enjoyed in the hotel was a Surf & Turf evening, elegantly served on the fifth floor terrace - a superb four course meal.

We do feel sorry for the chef and food & bev manager having their budgets cut - they must feel badly knowing they can do so much better for the guests than they currently are able to.

For a change we thought it would be relaxing to take all of our meals in the hotel - it might have been had the food been up to past standards. There is no reason to pay for the hotel's all inclusive meal plan in Mazatlan, a town with numerous restaurants to suit every palate and wallet. We certainly enjoyed what Topolo’s, Molika and Panama had on offer.

Enough moaning, the important luxury of a low rise, laid-back hotel on the best stretch of Mazatlan’s perfect beachfront is still very much in evidence. As are the cheerful and hardworking staff keeping our room and all the public areas spotlessly clean.

Can’t wait to do it again - next time room only ! ! !

Room Tip: Avoid all inclusive meal plan.
4  Thank Robin-Christie

Dear valued guest,

Let me begin by thanking you for your continued loyalty and support of our brand, I can tell that you are a well travelled visitor to Mazatlan as you mention some of my favorite places to eat. I am sorry to hear of your experience with some of our dining facilities, I can guarantee that we will continue to strive for excellence in perfecting our service capacity so that we may elicit positive comments from even the most demanding of guests. We are also glad to hear that you enjoyed our “Chef’ table” for one of your dinners. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service to you in planning your next stay.