“We've been customers for 51-years.”

Hotel Playa Mazatlan
Ranked #6 of 78 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersGold level
San Rafael
“We've been customers for 51-years.”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My wife and I have been going to the Hotel Playa for over 50-years. We've watched the hotel grow and improve through the years. We've never been disappointed.

The hotel is owed by descendants of the same family who built the hotel in 1955. Their pride-of-ownership is reflected in their constant efforts to improve the hotel's facilities.

The rooms are clean and comfortable. All hotel facilities are well maintained.

The hotel staff has always been eager to serve and to assist. In the rare case when a problem arose, the staff promptly rectified the problem.

The hotel has security personnel on site. We've never had anything stolen nor have we ever felt uncomfortable/threatened at or near the hotel.

Restaurant food is good, although not "gourmet". More importantly, the kitchen has high cleanliness standards....We've never had an intestinal issue due to the food and water.

The hotel is located at the beginning of the "Golden Zone". Should you desire to visit "Viejo Mazatlan", or restaurants in the hotel zone, you are no more than a 60-peso cab ride away.

We're looking forward to our return in 2015.

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Jasonntag
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear valued guest,
I am thrilled to hear that we have had the honor to be of service through 4 generations of my family members now; and I feel honored that we would be noticed as maintaining the standards of the three generations before me. It is always an honor to receive compliments from guests that have made coming to the playa a yearly tradition and i hope that we may continue to instill that tradition in other generations of your family as well. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if I can be of service in planning and setting up your next stay, we would love to make sure that we continue to create everlasting experiences and unforgettable memories every time that you come down.
LT VIENT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My 2 daughters and I just got done staying there for 5 days with a friend and her 2 boys. It was my first time visiting Mexico. The ocean view rooms are amazing. The staff was excellent. They greet you when you arrive and help you to your room. They had great security. The resort has an awesome activities staff. Raul Hernandex Alvarado, the activities manager was great with our kids. The kids got to zip-line, play beach volleyball, BINGO, and play in pool with the activities staff. The activities staff did a great job MC at the night shows their at the hotel. The kids also, got to do ceramic painting, play/swim in multiple swimming pools and the beach. This hotel is very family and kid friendly.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and there activities staff.

Thanks for the great vacation.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear valued guest,
We are thrilled to hear that you are happy with your stay and we feel honored to have had the opportunity to host your first visit to Mexico. it is always a pleasure to hear that we are able to impact your opinion about our beautiful city in a positive manner. i will pass on your comment to the activities staff, so that they may know that their efforts are being well received. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service in planning your next visit.

Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

This was my 3rd time this year returning to hotel playa mazatlan. I returned with my good friend and her 2 children. It was their 1st time ever in mexico. I stayed for the 1st time in the celitio lento penthouse. It was perfect for me and my two boys. The management sent a beautiful bouquet of flowers to the room.

My boys are 7 and almost 9. One of the reasons I return to hotel playa is the wonderful activities staff. Raul hernandez brings so much to the hotel. The first thing my boys want to do when they arrive at the hotel is see raul and the activities staff. That makes my vacation so enjoyable. Raul is a talented MC who is fluent in English and we were able to enjoy two new shows in the evening.

My husbands family and I return every year for Christmas and plan on returning again this year!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear valued guest,
We are thrilled to hear that you returned to the hotel and brought us new guests. The success that a personal recommendation of visiting brings to us, is un meassurable, thank you for your trust. I am proud to hear taht Raul is continuing to impact the experiences that our guest experience, it is alwyas a pleassure to hear that our staff is remembered by name. I hope that we may continue to be of service and become a tradition for many more christmases to come. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service to you.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We first went to Mazatlan about 40 years ago and have stayed in several hotels there. Upon retiring 20 years ago we started taking more trips to Mazatlan and settled in at the hotel Playa. It is by far our favorite hotel in Mazatlan and in the countless nights we have stayed there we have never been disappointed. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I particularly enjoy the very well equiped gym, the multiple pools and of course the wide expanse of beach. Food in the beachside restaurant is very good and at night we always enjoy live music for dancing.
Michael Allen

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room. It's worth the extra $$.
Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mallen9901
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear valued guest, (Michael Allen)
We are so pleased to hear that we are able to continue to meet and exceed your standards, it is always a pleasure to see and meet with you, we will look forward to receiving you again this year. I know Alejandro will be excited to hear that his hard work is getting recognized in the gym. It is an honor to know that after 20 years our service still brigns you back in search of brand new unforgettable memories. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service to you personally.
Seattle,WA
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My wife and I have been coming to the Playa for the last 10 years. We visited again from May 24th to June 2nd. We requested an ocean view room as we always do. We could not believe how big and spacious it was and the view was to die for. The food was wonderful, the service was excellent, especially on the beach under the palapa. We have always enjoyed staying here, it was the first hotel in Mazatlan and still one of the best. We have gotten to know the hotel staff by first names and they always remember us. The beach is the best on the Golden Zone, we have even become friends with several of the beach vendors who remember our names and always welcome us back. There is such Mexican charm and hospitality here and that is why we will keep coming back each year. We love the Playa and I think first time visitors will to. It would be very nice if there was an ATM in the lobby for convenience, although there are banks just a couple blocks away.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear valued guest,
We truly appreciate your continued loyalty and feel honored to have hosted your vacation for so many years now, we look forward to many more to come. I agree with your many comments about the ambience and personalities in and around town, the Mexican charm and real México feel is still very strong in Mazatlan. In regards to the ATM, we have been working out a few options without much success so far, but I will mention there are 3 ATM’ within one block walking distance of the hotel now. I will be happy to point them out to you on your next stay, as well as offer my assistance if need be in planning and booking your trip.
winnipeg
Reviewed 17 May 2014

My wife Cheri and I have been going to Mazatlan every January since the Eighties and have alway's stayed at the Playa, we would not even think of staying any where else. Hotel location, accomadations, dining, and hotel staff and owner's are unmatched in all of Mazatlan. Our friend's alway's asked us why we go back to the same spot every year and my reply is I dont want to go any where else. Over the year's we have become very good friend's with most of the staff and owner's and now when we arrive in January it's like reuniting with family. The playa Mazatlan is probably the cleanest and most well kept hotel in Mazatlan, every year there is something new done to the hotel. All staff are friendly, helpfull, and alway's happy right from the front desk, the gym, the waiter's, and cook's all awesome and unmatched. Try having breakfest or lunch, or drink's served to you on the nicest beach in Mazatlan by Humberto or enjoy dining while staring at the ocean in the resteraunt. If youre worried about safety DONT I feel safer walking around Mazatlan then i do my own city.

See you in January, Gerald & Cheri from Winterpeg.

Room Tip: Best sun set i have ever stay in ocean front upper floor's.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gerald k
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Valued guest (Gerry and Cheri)
We are thrilled to hear from you on this platform, thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments about our family, resort and destination. You are some of the best ambassadors that we have and it is always a pleasure to receive you. The only thing that saddens me is having to wait until January for your next visit. Hopefully we will have you come down before then to enjoy the heat after what has been an abnormally long winter for you guys. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service in planning your next visit. (I do mean the one that is not on the books yet ;P)
Tempe, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 16 May 2014

My husband and I have visited Hotel Playa Mazatlan numerous times over the past decade. The hotel is in the Golden Zone. If you want to walk to restaurants, night clubs, shopping, etc., the location can't be beat. When you arrive at the hotel (about a 1/2 hour drive from the airport), you will love the beautiful cobblestone hill that leads to the rocking chair lined entrance. The hotel is quintessential Mexicana with overflowing vibrant bougainvillea, colorful Mexican tile, and wrought iron accents. You can feel the ocean breeze and see the beach as you walk to check in. The view at the entrance is perhaps the most beautiful I have seen and immediately puts you in "vacation mode." The rooms themselves range from great to average. You get what you pay for. If you splurge, you will get an awesome view and perhaps a wrap-around balcony in a remodeled room. All rooms are clean and tidy regardless of budget and even the interior views are decent. The beach is awesome. We've never had to fight for a covered papala and towels are convenient to pick up. We always sit in the back row to stay a little back from beach vendors. If you want a quick bite, head to La Pura Vida. It's just a short (like 5 minute) walk from the hotel. I could seriously live on this food. It's perhaps the best sandwich I've ever had. And for a more upscale dinner, head over to Pancho's. That's about a 10 minute walk. You can eat while overlooking the beach. And for the quantity and quality of the food, you will be pleasantly surprised with the bill. The food at the hotel is average and overpriced. The best reasons to stay at La Playa Mazatlan are the beautiful grounds, awesome beach, friendly staff and best location in Mazatlan. We have viewed other hotels and condos in the area and always go back to Hotel Playa. I wish I was there right now!

Room Tip: Unless you get a full ocean view, your view will be partially obstructed. If you upgrade, try to get...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stacey S
Dear valued guest,
We appreciate your loyalty to our brand and taking the time to post your comments about, the facility, amenities and surrounding neighborhood, it sounds like you are an adventurous guest, and I glad to hear that you have seen some of the other sights and sounds that the destination has to offer. I am interested in hearing more critique from you in regards to our restaurants, as our aim is to make sure that our guest are satisfied with our food. We have introduced many new eating amenities to the hotel as well as been in a training process with our chefs to improve on our menus and offer competitive prices; traditionally people receive our a la carte service very well and have been giving us notes on how to improve on the ease of service and variety in our menus, but it seems that you mention all of them in your comments. I would ask that you please feel free to contact me, so that I may better address this critique and begin working towards a resolution. Hopefully I will have it completed by your next visit, so that you may see your ideas being implemented on the property. As a manager to the hotel and member of the family of owners it is very important to me, to guarantee our quality and service, and I would love to have the opportunity to personally be of service to you and yours.