“a nice getaway with friends”

Hotel Playa Mazatlan
Ranked #4 of 79 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersGold level
Ciudad Mazatlán, Sinaloa, Mexico
“a nice getaway with friends”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We live in Mazatlan and were looking for a private place to hold a retreat for our staff team of 12! We rented rooms for 2 nights. The regular rooms were affordable, clean, and simple. They served the purpose we needed them for. Though we weren't in them much.

We also rented the penthouse room, which is INCREDIBLE. It has 2 full bedrooms, with a bathroom for each, plus a guest bathroom, a full kitchen and living room, with an AMAZING VIEW and our own infinity pool. We met in the living room during the day and it was plenty spacious and would be a great place to vacation with family & friends. It was a stress free, relaxing, escape for us, which is exactly what we wanted! I highly recommend the new renovated rooms if you want to spend more time in your room. They are beautiful.

With all the slides, pools, shows, and extras we will make a point to bring our kids next time!!! They would have loved it.

We didn't come prepared for the dress code for the nice restaurant. So make sure you don't pack ONLY flip flops and shorts.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear valued guest,
We are thrilled to hear taht your experience was a positive one, and that the hotel ammenities inspired you to think of your family, our goal is to always create unforgettable memories and entise families to play together. Please feel free to contact me infuture as i would love to help you in the selections of your rooms again,
LT VIENT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Being a guest of the Playa for 30 years has been such a wonderful pleasure to look forward to every November. I have brought many of my friends with me to be able to experience the charm and beauty not only of the Playa, but Mazatlan it self. I always encourage new visitors to hire a driver and take a city tour. The history of your beautiful city alone is so impacting. I have said many times Mazatlan is my most favorite place on our planet. I only wish I could live there. I will be returning again Nov.4 and staying until Nov 18. I always request an ocean view. The rooms are spotless as well as the entire hotel. The staff has gone above and beyond to make my stay as memorable as possible. I look forward to my return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Patricia G
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear valued guest,
We feel thrilled to have the honor of being of service to you, yet one more year. It sounds like Mazatlan has been able to create a spot in your heart, and the Playa next to it. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service in planning your next stay.
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is very clean I dont have anything to say about that... but there is no safe box in the room, that sucks!!! There is no refrigerator so you have to drink hot water... it is supposed to be "all inclusive" but if you want a canned soda or beer you have to pay extra, if you want to order food to the beach you have to pay extra.. room service is NOT INCLUDED.... so where does the "all inclusive term" go????? The prices might be cheap but you'll have to pay again for the food... at bar they just give you 2 drinks for person I asked for 2 beers and 2 bottles of water and they said no.. I think water shouldn't be denied for anybody, I had to make 2 rounds when I came back for the water there was no bottled water left!!!!!! This is my first day at the gotel and that's all I have to say.. I hope this gets better!!! Just don't say it's all inclusive when its not!!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank lega14
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear valued guest,

I would like to clarify some of your concerns about your experience at the hotel so far, as it is our wish to make sure that you not only enjoy your stay, but as well feel that you are obtaining more than expected when visiting us. I am not quite sure what the expectation of "all inclusive" that you have might be, but I would like to recommend reviewing either your in-room directory, our website or the front desk, for a complete description of the what is included in your package, and what is not included in your package; for example room service. Bottled water is delivered to your room daily if needed and water is readily available at all of our bars for your convenience. The drink limit is established based on the regulations and variety of packages that are offered here at the hotel, we want to make sure that the drinks being ordered are only going to be consumed by people paying the package and not "gifted" to friends or other people that might or might not be on the all inclusive package. Wait service is on property and will readily serve you, but "room service" does entail an added cost, unless you have purchased an upgraded or VIP all inclusive package. There are 19 categories of rooms in the hotel, designed to meet the expectations and budgets of all of our guests, I would be happy to help go over the differences, including the selection of a room that has a kitchenette and/or mini fridge in room. Canned drinks are not part of the introductory all inclusive package. As for warm drinks in room, please do not hesitate to contact us at the front desk, and we would be happy to go over areas in which ICE can be obtained on property. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service, as i would like to make sure that this vacation is an unforgettable one for you.

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I had never wanted to go to Mazatlan for some unknown reason. I had been to all the Mexican beach resorts and was going to go with a friend to Acapulco from Mexico City. At the last minute there was a tropical storm headed directly to Acapulco so at the last minute (day before) we changed to Mazatlan. Wow, am I glad. We stayed at the wonderful Hotel Playa Mazatlan which was built in 1955. It has been remodeled and it was wonderful. I can only imagine what a sensation this way in 1955. I'll never forget the view when I walked into the room. The ocean is a few feet from the hotel, the view of the beach and the ocean was spectacular. In the neighborhood lots of restaurants, clubs, sops, everything within a few blocks. I was amazed at the Panama restaurant (it is a chain in Sinaloa) and once we discovered it we went as often as possible....don't miss it. The restaurant is huge and menu is as well. Downtown is wonderful. Go to the Plazuela Machado with all four directions facing the gazebo filled with wonderful indoor-outdoor restaurants. I could go on and on. Try it,you won't be disappointed and Mazatlan is a real treasure, the BEST beach resort in Mexico and not as touristy as Cancun and Acapulco. The rocking chairs in the lobby are fabulous, a really neat added attraction!

Room Tip: We were in 3006, two large beds (king?), any room with the 005 or006 would be a great choice. The v...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank malito
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear valued guest,
W feel honored by your comments, and excited to have had the opportunity to host your first visit to the port of Mazatlan. We agree with you I can go on and on, about the things that I love to do here. I am pleased to hear that you not only enjoyed our facilities but also went out and about having the opportunity to discover what makes us so different from some of the other "newer" cities that Mexico has to offer. I would love to help in planning both your trip and activities next time you visit, as i am sure there where a few you did not experience. Plese feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service.
BEst wishes and safe travels,
Laredo
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Un hotel muy divertido! Great service and a nice location! The overall staff very attentive especially the activities staff. The beach view is excellent. The sports bar was my favorite with almost 15 tv screens. We will be back soon!

• Stayed July 2014
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear valued guest,

We feel honored by your comments and promise to return to visit us again soon, and we feel excite to hear teh we caused a positive impression during your vacation. Please feel free to contact me personally if I can be of service in planning your next trip.
Oroville, California
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I have stayed at the Playa many times. It is right on the best beach in Mazatlan. The restaurant is right on the beach for breakfasts, lunches and dinners. Good music. You can have your room with garden views or beach views. The rocking chairs in the lobby are the best way to meet people and rela.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 78661939
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear valued guest,
Ww appreciate you taking the time to post such wonderful comments about our facilities and ammenities, we feel honored to read about your experience, and look forward to being of service once again. Please feel free to contact me in the future if I can be of personal service.
San Rafael
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My wife and I have been going to the Hotel Playa for over 50-years. We've watched the hotel grow and improve through the years. We've never been disappointed.

The hotel is owed by descendants of the same family who built the hotel in 1955. Their pride-of-ownership is reflected in their constant efforts to improve the hotel's facilities.

The rooms are clean and comfortable. All hotel facilities are well maintained.

The hotel staff has always been eager to serve and to assist. In the rare case when a problem arose, the staff promptly rectified the problem.

The hotel has security personnel on site. We've never had anything stolen nor have we ever felt uncomfortable/threatened at or near the hotel.

Restaurant food is good, although not "gourmet". More importantly, the kitchen has high cleanliness standards....We've never had an intestinal issue due to the food and water.

The hotel is located at the beginning of the "Golden Zone". Should you desire to visit "Viejo Mazatlan", or restaurants in the hotel zone, you are no more than a 60-peso cab ride away.

We're looking forward to our return in 2015.

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Jasonntag
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear valued guest,
I am thrilled to hear that we have had the honor to be of service through 4 generations of my family members now; and I feel honored that we would be noticed as maintaining the standards of the three generations before me. It is always an honor to receive compliments from guests that have made coming to the playa a yearly tradition and i hope that we may continue to instill that tradition in other generations of your family as well. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if I can be of service in planning and setting up your next stay, we would love to make sure that we continue to create everlasting experiences and unforgettable memories every time that you come down.