“It was a great choice!”

Ranked #3 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 February 2010

2 other couples went with us to Mazatlan....we spent a week at the Hotel Playa Mazatlan.
WE enjoyed our stay......it was a very efficient and nice hotel. The staff was great and most accomodating. I would recommend going there to anyone. As hotels go, this family run hotel knows just what is necessary to keep patrons happy.
We ate at Pancho's, Munchkins, Cowboy's, Panama, Shrimp Factory and back to Pancho';s for our last nite there................these restaurants are all within walking distance from the hotel....we took the Tequila Factory Tour and also the Sunset Cruise.....we enjoyed both of them. WE met many people that go back there every year. It was everything we hoped for in a vacation. WE did have rain at times....but then the weather is crazy all over the country.........

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Manager at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2010

To whom it may concern (p146r and Friends),

Thank you so much for your kind words and positive review, I am glad to hear that during your stay you where captivated, by the grounds, the staff and the guest that make up the Hotel Playa Mazatlan family, as a member of the family of owners and management staff, I would like to personally thank you for the kind words oriented to us as well. It seems that as far as visiting good restaurants in and around town you visited most, I would love to personally recommend a few more as well as ask that you contact me direct with any pictures that you might have accrued during your trip, we are in the process of developing an e-album of pictures of both current and previous patrons of the Hotel and I would love to feature some of your memories.

Please feel free to contact me direct. I look forward to hearing back from you soon, and in advance thank you for your time and prompt reply.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 24 February 2010

Fantastic! Nothing else describes the beauty, the food, the customer service. Ab-Fab.

Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family

To whom it may concern (TerriM3),

Thank you for your visit, your kind review and hopefully your continued loyalty to the Playa Mazatlan family. We would love to hear more about your stay and are terribly curious as to the words “Ab-Fab”. Please feel free to contact me direct in future to be of service and don’t hesitate to send us some of your pictures during your stay as we are in the process of developing an e-album of patron memories and we would love to feature your experience.

Again, thank you!

Reviewed 24 February 2010

I stayed in the Hotel Playa Mazatlan for 9 nights.

I stayed here because the building is in an authentic Mexican style, whereas many surrounded resorts are just high-rises like you'd see in the states.

I thought that because I was staying in a "resort" my stay would be more comfortable than in the average Travelodge in the US, but I was wrong. The posted rate for my room was $144 a night. I paid less by booking through a travel website, but it still worked out to around $90 a night. For $90 a night, I was less comfortable than if I had booked a room for $60 a night in the US.

My conclusion at the end of my stay was basically that the hotel expected me not only to pay a ton of money to sleep there, but to also pay a ton of money for anything else that I might potentially want or need. It is not so hospitable.

Here's what I found:

Pros:
The hotel is right on the beach and offers an abundance of beach chairs for you to sit in and enjoy the beach. Sometimes there are also waiters who walk around asking you if you'd like to order anything.

My room had an ocean view. But ocean view does not mean I could see only the ocean. I had a good view of one of the hotel decks and part of the beach chairs as well.

My room had a tap with filtered water (free). I learned that some rooms (the more expensive ones), do not have a tap of filtered water, but receive two free bottles of water per day. They also have bottles of water in the room for sale for 25 pesos (really expensive!). I opened this before I noticed the free filtered water in the bathroom.

Lotion (and a sewing kit) is one of the complimentary toiletries.

The concierge lady is pretty helpful and friendly (Lupita)

Most of the staff speak some English, which is pretty helpful if you only speak some Spanish.

Cons:
The hotel does not advertise free wi-fi on the website (so I left my laptop at home), but it has it. Otherwise, internet time is 15 pesos for 30 minutes (expensive compared to the internet cafes around the hotel).

The payphones in the hotel lobby area advertise rates of 5 pesos per minute to the US. When I called it charged more like 18 pesos per minute to the US. When I asked the hotel people about it, they just said, "yeah, it charged you a higher rate." No kidding!

There was no refrigerator or microwave in the room, so I couldn't keep any food that needed to be cold in my room. I left a bag of pastries on the table in my room on day one, and found a dead cockroach the next morning. I left the same bag out on day two, and found a live cockroach in my room. I had to keep my food in the tiny ice bucket without ice to keep the smell of food down and the cockroaches away.

They ask that you not eat food your purchase off site in the common areas. So if you don't want to eat in the restaurant for every meal, you have to eat in your room.

They ask that you wear a bracelet with the hotel name while you stay in the hotel. This isn't exceptionally safe to expose while you walk around on the street. It's better just to keep it in your pocket and if the security guys ask to see it, show them. If you're white, they'll probably never ask to see your bracelet.

Security is pretty lax. The only time anyone ever asked if I was staying in the hotel when I walked onto the property was when I was with a Mexican friend.

Smoking or non-smoking rooms are probably more of a formality than a reality. My non-smoking room came equipped with an ashtray and a book of matches. And for the majority of my stay my neighbors were people who sat on their balcony and chain smoked all day. So if I didn't want to breathe in packs of second hand cigarette smoke, I had to keep my balcony doors closed. And who wants to do that when you pay extra money for a room facing the ocean?

They do not offer any kind of free breakfast like most discount places I've stayed in the US and Europe.

Some days, my room wasn't cleaned until 4:30 PM. Some days the housekeeping forgot to replace the washcloths, some days they forgot to replace the hand towels. But for the most part, my room was very clean when they finished.

The only thing that is "complimentary" at this hotel is the toiletries in your room.

There is a restaurant on the property that plays live music (very loudly) from 6:30 PM until midnight-ish. If loud music bothers you, ask for a room away from the restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank kaitum

To whom it may concern (kaitum),

Let me begin by thanking you for giving the Hotel Playa Mazatlan a chance to host your stay in Mazatlan, by the looks of your review you are an experienced traveler; and your opinions and points of view are well received and heard. I was unaware of the lack of marketing for our Wi-Fi on our website and will point out that this is an immediate solution that will be worked on. In regards to some of your other points in regards to our house keeping, grounds, smoking policies and cost rates online, I will personally be working on correcting these issues and with time and honest reviews such as your own, I hope to find and iron out all of the kinks. I would love to have the opportunity to change your mind about our destination by helping you create a vacation package that suits your personal needs, as well as allows you to enjoy the beautiful people, staff and patrons of the Hotel. I would ask that you contact me directly so that you could see some of the added value that has been attached to the price points of our rooms in the hopes of resolving some of the cost issues you mentioned in your post.

I again thank you for your time and consideration in making this post, and I do look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 19 February 2010

We stayed here for a long weekend in Feb. The reviews on here are pretty reliable. Great location (right on the beach), can be noisy from the bar at the next resort at night, food decent, rooms clean but older. It was certainly not a luxury resort, but I would probably stay there again! The pools are heated and the beach area is fairly large, and patrolled by security so the vendors can't come directly to you, although that doesn't stop them from yelling to you from the beach.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank sunny330

To whom it may concern (sunny330),

Thank you for your straight forward review of our Hotel; I am happy to hear that you would come visit us again, and I would like to offer you my personal assistance in making sure that we select a room that is quiet, but as well one of our recently remodeled rooms, so that we may continue to improve your opinion on our facilities.

I look forward to assisting you soon and in advance thank you for your time and prompt reply.

Reviewed 9 February 2010

Hotel is older in the hotel zone – right on the beach. Our room on a corner with an ocean view but also a building in front of us. Not that impressed with it, but we were here only four days.This resort was probably great in the 80's, but it is quite dated now. Staff were helpful and rooms were clean. Lots of cleaning staff, but you can only make worn tiles look so good. The age is starting to show. Pool was well used by guests, but it is quite plain. Exercise room was small but the staff member was very helpful. This hotel is in walking distance to some shopping and a lot of restaurants but a long ways from "zona historico" so take a bus or a cab. Beach was ok. Resort allows cruise ship passengers to hang out there while in port, so beach was quite busy on cruise ship days. Used the restaurant once for breakfast, service was good, but food mediocre.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

To whom it may concern (Mile0),

I would like to begin by thanking you for giving Mazatlan and the Hotel Playa Mazatlan for your recent visit to our port. I am concerned to hear about your experience in our facilities and would like to have an opportunity to change your mind. As a member of the family of owners and the Management staff, I can guarantee that your comments are well received and will be worked on, as our growth allows it. We have recently remodeled a series of rooms known as “boutique rooms” and I would like to personally assist you in figuring out a package that will better suit your travel style, as well as give us the opportunity to give you the service and excellence for which we are known for. Please feel free to contact me direct.

I in advance thank you for your time and prompt reply.

Reviewed 9 January 2010

The gym and personal trainer were a huge plus, as were the massages.
Something about the Playa makes guests sociable and feel comfortable, and I think I found the secret in its balance and scale–terrific beach, outstanding service from warm and responsive staff, may of whom have worked there for 15 to 30 years, and old-style Hispanic architecture to complement the spectacular sea and island vistas.
Although I felt no need to leave the hotel, I was glad I took advantage of trips into the Old City.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank caonnon

To whom it may concern (caonnon),

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and where warmly received by our staff; as member of the family of owners and Management staff, I can tell you that it is comments like your that make us wake up anxious to serve our guests every day, and allows for multiple generations of family members to find a professional home within the Hotel Playa Mazatlan. I will personally let Alejandro (Personal Trainer/ Masseuse) know that he received “International” reviews, I am sure it will make his day. Also I would like to offer my personal assistance in planning our next stay here at the playa, please feel free to contact me direct.

I look forward to being of service to you in the near future, and in advance thank you for your time and prompt reply.

Reviewed 8 January 2010

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay for 4 nights at Hotel Playa Mazatlan and we hope to stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sloris

To whom it may concern (sloris & spuse),

Thank you for coming to visit and enjoying your stay, we would love to have the opportunity to personally help you find the most value for your cost next time you stay at Hotel and travel to Mexico; please feel free to contact me direct.

Again thank you for your stay, and positive review of our facilities. I in advance thank you for your time and prompt reply.