“Hotel Playa - Location, Location, Location”

Ranked #6 of 79 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersGold level
Spokane, WA
“Hotel Playa - Location, Location, Location”
Reviewed 5 March 2010

Hotel Playa Mazatlan and Ramada are my choices simply for their locations. Walk out the entrance to good restaurants and shopping. Beach is clean. Playa has a two-tier zipline and climbing wall. If you want to escape, head to the courtyard pool with bar. Great location - no matter what your interests are.

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Manager at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 15 December 2010
To whom it may concern (kievet & spouse),

I would like to begin by thanking you for your positive review and feedback as well as likely referrals that have come from it. I know that traveling here from Washington is a long journey so I am glad to hear that our staff and facilities allowed you the opportunity for rest and relaxation you where looking for; the courtyard pool is as well a favorite of my family and I. As a member of the family of owners and management staff I would like to invite you to send us pictures of your trip as we are in the process of creating an e-album of Hotel Playa friends, please let me know if you would be interested by responding to me directly.

I again thank you for your time and consideration in creating this review, we look forward to seeing you in Mazatlan again and being of service personally.

CANADA: 1 866 547 5447

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Regina,SK
Reviewed 4 March 2010

My spouse and I recently spent 2 weeks at the Hotel Playa Mazatlan. This was our tenth vacation in Mazatlan, and have stayed at the Playa all ten times.

In all of our stays at this hotel, we can not recall ever having a bad experience. The staff and service from the front desk , the waiters at the restaurant and beach service as well as housekeeping and security, the groundskeepers and the personal trainer at the gym is top notch. All staff greet you with a smile and a "buenas dias" whenever you meet them.

We had a couple of occasions this vacation which really exemplified the outstanding service. On a couple of occasions the pool heater and whirlpool were not working and within minutes of notifying the front desk, the problem was fixed. On another occasion one evening, our toilet in our room would not flush and within 10 minutes of calling the front desk, maintenance was at our room and it was repaired.

Overall, the beach is one of the best in the Golden Zone, the grounds and pools are amazing and the food at the La Terraza restaurant is excellent and reasonably priced for the high quality meals. The fitness center has all equipment that most gyms have and also has a personal trainer available at no fee, who is eager to train with you.

We have stayed at a number of other hotels throughout Mexico, but the Playa Mazatlan is truly the best at a very reasonable price.

We have stayed in different categories of rooms at the Playa Mazatlan and enjoy the oceanfront junior suite as we know you get what you pay for. We have also stayed in the gardenview rooms and they were very clean, maintained, reasonably priced and adequate.

Also at this hotel you do have your choice between European Plan or All Inclusive.

We look forward to our next vacation here.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank texaslonghorn306
To whom it may concern (texaslonghorn306 & spouse),

Let me begin by thanking you for your continued support and loyalty to the Hotel Playa family; the fact that you have been a repeat customer for so many years and still plan on continuing to visit is music to our ears. It is repeat business such as your own that allow us to create an atmosphere of family and friendship with our guest, so again thank you so much for all the years of “work” you have put into training us. As a member of the family of owners and the management staff I can see that you are an experienced guest here having stayed at multiple kinds of rooms, in future I would love to be of service personally in helping you pinpoint some of the other styles of rooms that might suit your needs. We now offer multiple boutique rooms that are all unique and allow for a different type of vacation every time you come, please feel free to contact me directly .

Again thank you for your continued loyalty and please don’t hesitate to contact me direct so that I may assist you with your personal needs as well as talk a bit more about your previous travels here, we are in the process of building an e-album of memories and previous guest and I would love to feature your story.

I in advance thank you for your time and prompt reply.

Warm Wishes,

Corona, California
Reviewed 3 March 2010

We stayed at Hotel Playa Mazatlan during our trip to Mazatlan.
We stayed there for 5 nights. I was so disappointed when I saw the hotel.
The pictures in hotel website are really nice but reality the hotel is super old, dark and dirty. We upgraded to ocean view room which required us to pay $30 extra.
It wasn't worth it at all since the room also old and smell very funny. We got free wireless internet because we booked through travel website.

Room had a funny smell, bathroom had cheap paint job that you can see the old paint peeling off the wall. Water pressure was little. I got bite by bed bugs too :(

Fortunately, restaurant is by the beach and price is reasonable. They had brunch buffet and cost arond $15 per person. I think the only hilight of thsi hotel is restaurant, out door activity and pool. Hotel has several pools through out building. Hotel also charge for beach towel! There's small fitness room next to the pool in front of hotel.

Hotel itself is close to everything though, Mc Donald 5 min walk, Canada embassy next door, taxi, Senor Frog store, etc.

I personally disappointed and will not stay there again. You can stay at nicer or newer hotel for the same amount of what you pay at Hotel Playa Mazatlan.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank meaw_chick
To whom it may concern (meaw_chick & Partner),

I would like to begin this response by thanking you for coming to visit and following up your stay with a review of the Hotel. It is through postings such as your that we are able to learn and grow as an enterprise; I was surprised and shocked to hear of some of the points in your review as we pride ourselves on having up to date and clean rooms, I would be curious to learn more about what wing and room you stayed in so that I may personally take note on possible upgrade needs. I would like to point out that we have undergone some remodeling of rooms since your last stay and I would personally like to make sure that we can set you up in accommodations that better suit your taste and needs, I would ask that you feel comfortable with contacting me direct so that we may discuss this options and perhaps win another opportunity to change your mind about our resort and Mazatlan as a destination.

Please contact me direct. I in advance thank you for your time and prompt reply.

Hermosillo, Mexico
Reviewed 27 February 2010

it was good, although a tropical storm hit us, the light went off, it rained one day out of 4.. and the hotel kinda got flooded! lol!... i had a good time x)

Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
To whom it may concern (BrendaR3),

I am glad to hear that we have some National tourism posting on these sites; I love to hear about “Paisanos” that come and stay at the Playa. I apologize that the weather and mother nature where not quite as supportive of your stay and would love to have you come back sometime and visit during a time of the year when Hurricanes and storms don’t abound. I know that the rain can be quite frustrating when visiting a Beach and Sun destination.

We look forward to hearing back from you soon, and again thank you for your kind review.

Mesa,Az
Reviewed 25 February 2010

2 other couples went with us to Mazatlan....we spent a week at the Hotel Playa Mazatlan.
WE enjoyed our stay......it was a very efficient and nice hotel. The staff was great and most accomodating. I would recommend going there to anyone. As hotels go, this family run hotel knows just what is necessary to keep patrons happy.
We ate at Pancho's, Munchkins, Cowboy's, Panama, Shrimp Factory and back to Pancho';s for our last nite there................these restaurants are all within walking distance from the hotel....we took the Tequila Factory Tour and also the Sunset Cruise.....we enjoyed both of them. WE met many people that go back there every year. It was everything we hoped for in a vacation. WE did have rain at times....but then the weather is crazy all over the country.........

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
To whom it may concern (p146r and Friends),

Thank you so much for your kind words and positive review, I am glad to hear that during your stay you where captivated, by the grounds, the staff and the guest that make up the Hotel Playa Mazatlan family, as a member of the family of owners and management staff, I would like to personally thank you for the kind words oriented to us as well. It seems that as far as visiting good restaurants in and around town you visited most, I would love to personally recommend a few more as well as ask that you contact me direct with any pictures that you might have accrued during your trip, we are in the process of developing an e-album of pictures of both current and previous patrons of the Hotel and I would love to feature some of your memories.

Please feel free to contact me direct. I look forward to hearing back from you soon, and in advance thank you for your time and prompt reply.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 24 February 2010

Fantastic! Nothing else describes the beauty, the food, the customer service. Ab-Fab.

Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
To whom it may concern (TerriM3),

Thank you for your visit, your kind review and hopefully your continued loyalty to the Playa Mazatlan family. We would love to hear more about your stay and are terribly curious as to the words “Ab-Fab”. Please feel free to contact me direct in future to be of service and don’t hesitate to send us some of your pictures during your stay as we are in the process of developing an e-album of patron memories and we would love to feature your experience.

Again, thank you!

Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 24 February 2010

I stayed in the Hotel Playa Mazatlan for 9 nights.

I stayed here because the building is in an authentic Mexican style, whereas many surrounded resorts are just high-rises like you'd see in the states.

I thought that because I was staying in a "resort" my stay would be more comfortable than in the average Travelodge in the US, but I was wrong. The posted rate for my room was $144 a night. I paid less by booking through a travel website, but it still worked out to around $90 a night. For $90 a night, I was less comfortable than if I had booked a room for $60 a night in the US.

My conclusion at the end of my stay was basically that the hotel expected me not only to pay a ton of money to sleep there, but to also pay a ton of money for anything else that I might potentially want or need. It is not so hospitable.

Here's what I found:

Pros:
The hotel is right on the beach and offers an abundance of beach chairs for you to sit in and enjoy the beach. Sometimes there are also waiters who walk around asking you if you'd like to order anything.

My room had an ocean view. But ocean view does not mean I could see only the ocean. I had a good view of one of the hotel decks and part of the beach chairs as well.

My room had a tap with filtered water (free). I learned that some rooms (the more expensive ones), do not have a tap of filtered water, but receive two free bottles of water per day. They also have bottles of water in the room for sale for 25 pesos (really expensive!). I opened this before I noticed the free filtered water in the bathroom.

Lotion (and a sewing kit) is one of the complimentary toiletries.

The concierge lady is pretty helpful and friendly (Lupita)

Most of the staff speak some English, which is pretty helpful if you only speak some Spanish.

Cons:
The hotel does not advertise free wi-fi on the website (so I left my laptop at home), but it has it. Otherwise, internet time is 15 pesos for 30 minutes (expensive compared to the internet cafes around the hotel).

The payphones in the hotel lobby area advertise rates of 5 pesos per minute to the US. When I called it charged more like 18 pesos per minute to the US. When I asked the hotel people about it, they just said, "yeah, it charged you a higher rate." No kidding!

There was no refrigerator or microwave in the room, so I couldn't keep any food that needed to be cold in my room. I left a bag of pastries on the table in my room on day one, and found a dead cockroach the next morning. I left the same bag out on day two, and found a live cockroach in my room. I had to keep my food in the tiny ice bucket without ice to keep the smell of food down and the cockroaches away.

They ask that you not eat food your purchase off site in the common areas. So if you don't want to eat in the restaurant for every meal, you have to eat in your room.

They ask that you wear a bracelet with the hotel name while you stay in the hotel. This isn't exceptionally safe to expose while you walk around on the street. It's better just to keep it in your pocket and if the security guys ask to see it, show them. If you're white, they'll probably never ask to see your bracelet.

Security is pretty lax. The only time anyone ever asked if I was staying in the hotel when I walked onto the property was when I was with a Mexican friend.

Smoking or non-smoking rooms are probably more of a formality than a reality. My non-smoking room came equipped with an ashtray and a book of matches. And for the majority of my stay my neighbors were people who sat on their balcony and chain smoked all day. So if I didn't want to breathe in packs of second hand cigarette smoke, I had to keep my balcony doors closed. And who wants to do that when you pay extra money for a room facing the ocean?

They do not offer any kind of free breakfast like most discount places I've stayed in the US and Europe.

Some days, my room wasn't cleaned until 4:30 PM. Some days the housekeeping forgot to replace the washcloths, some days they forgot to replace the hand towels. But for the most part, my room was very clean when they finished.

The only thing that is "complimentary" at this hotel is the toiletries in your room.

There is a restaurant on the property that plays live music (very loudly) from 6:30 PM until midnight-ish. If loud music bothers you, ask for a room away from the restaurant.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank kaitum
To whom it may concern (kaitum),

Let me begin by thanking you for giving the Hotel Playa Mazatlan a chance to host your stay in Mazatlan, by the looks of your review you are an experienced traveler; and your opinions and points of view are well received and heard. I was unaware of the lack of marketing for our Wi-Fi on our website and will point out that this is an immediate solution that will be worked on. In regards to some of your other points in regards to our house keeping, grounds, smoking policies and cost rates online, I will personally be working on correcting these issues and with time and honest reviews such as your own, I hope to find and iron out all of the kinks. I would love to have the opportunity to change your mind about our destination by helping you create a vacation package that suits your personal needs, as well as allows you to enjoy the beautiful people, staff and patrons of the Hotel. I would ask that you contact me directly so that you could see some of the added value that has been attached to the price points of our rooms in the hopes of resolving some of the cost issues you mentioned in your post.

I again thank you for your time and consideration in making this post, and I do look forward to hearing from you soon.