“Disappointing”

Ranked #3 of 79 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 November 2010

My wife and I were quite disappointed with a few things at Hotel Playa Mazatlan during our stay (from November 17th - November 24th). The hotel was recommended by a family member that stayed there numerous times before but I feel that there are issues which should be resolved for future guests otherwise I don't think this will be the last complaint about them.

1. BAD - Too Many Wasps! I was told that this is 'bee season' which I do not believe. We were constantly surrounded by wasps while eating at La Terraza. Our family member on one day ordered an omelet and there was a wasp cooked into it. On another day my wife was eating hot cakes and there was one in her syrup and then when the waiter brought out another jar of syrup there were two more inside of the jar! This hotel and only one other hotel (Casa de Oro) are the only two hotels along the Golden Zone which had wasp problems outside; we had been in all of the hotels within the zone and believe me when I say that you are the only two hotels with this problem.

2. BAD – La Playita (Closed). The website indicates that this is a place to eat but I have never seen it open during our week long stay nor have we noticed any hours of operation. They should (if it is closed down) place this information on their website or put a sign up outside of the window claiming that it is closed for business, it is quite misrepresenting when I expect 2 eateries at a hotel and there is only one open/available.

3. BAD – Overpriced Alcohol. We had been both on the beach and at La Terraza and both times the daiquiris were small (one ounce of liquor) and overpriced (about 550 or more pesos). Every place that we went to outside of the hotel had twice as much alcohol (large fishbowl glasses – 2 ounces) for less than 500 pesos and for me the Pacifico beer was usually 2 for 1 or at least the price reflected it elsewhere.

4. BAD – Incorrect Tour Pricing. At the Concierge desk there is a price board indicating that the Country Tour is $550 pesos but when we went to pay for it they said that it was now $660 pesos. I will not complain to the Concierge as it would be too lengthy to explain and I do not think it would help but in Canada they would have to honor the price marked on the board (at the very least, put a piece of paper with the new price and tape it to the board).

5. BAD – Maid Service. On our second day we placed the ‘Do not disturb’ sign in our key-card slot and went shopping. When we arrived back in the early afternoon the cleaning lady was in our room. We asked why she was in there and she said the sign was not in the door, YES it was because I was the person that put it in there before shutting the door. This is unacceptable!

6. GOOD – Friendly staff.

7. GOOD – Location.

As there is more bad than good to mention about this hotel/stay, we are not going to return to Hotel Playa Mazatlan unless some of these issues are resolved or that there is something is guaranteed as an incentive to return to this location.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Greg C
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Manager at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2010

To whom it may concern (SunInMyEyes),

I will begin this message by thanking you for your candid review of our Hotel and concern for our future guests. As someone whom is being referred to our resort I am extremely sorry for not meeting and/or exceeding your expectations and would like to offer my assistance in resolving and clearing some of your concerns.

- In regards to the wasps and bee issue; being that we are an open air restaurant with multiple grounds it tends to be an area that does attract many bees, especially during the “Bee/Wasp” season, I can ensure that the grounds have been sprayed and checked for nests multiple times and whenever found they have either been moved or eradicated. Although this may not be a sufficient resolution, I can ensure that it is not common place year round.

- In regards to the cost of alcoholic beverages; I have reviewed our menu and have not been able to locate any item listed at a $500 -$550 cost, but have in fact spoken to the Food and Beverage department to ensure that the pricing and size of our beverages are compatible with those of other locations.

- In regards to the Playita; we have taken the steps necessary to notate the closure of the restaurant during off peak seasons so that this issue does not recur.

- In regards to the maid service; I can assure you that the training that they receive is extensive and that the signs have been put in the rooms in the hopes of allowing the client the flexibility to have their rooms cleaned at their leisure. If this was not the case I would like to apologize for the intrusion and inconvenience as this is not something that the Hotel would approve of, any other information that can be offered on the manner would be well received and resolved accordingly.

- In regards to the issue with the pricing on the tours, this is a matter that has been brought to my attention and the resolution has been made, in future we will be guaranteeing any prices listed and I would like to personally apologizing for the way in which this matter was handled, in future I would be more tan happy to offer my personal assistance in guaranteeing that you receive the highest value for your costs.

Please feel free to contact me directly, so that you may receive the most up to date packages, and the best service possible.

I in advance thank you for your time and prompt reply.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Playa Mazatlan

Reviewed 24 November 2010

My partner has visited this hotel and its restaurant over the last 20+ years. We usually eat there at least once during a week in Mazatlan. Last night, they really blew it. Most of the dishes were lukewarm. Not a good idea for restaurant food! (and bland after they were not-really-warmed-up). Sorry.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank saraholy

To whom it may concern (saraholy),

Let me being by thanking you for your years of loyal travel to our resort, as well as apologizing to you for the negative experience that you had within our restaurant. I would like to assure you that some of the issues have been noted and we are diligently working towards reviving the quality and success that has been felt in past within our Food and Beverage department. As a member of the family of owners and management staff, I can ensure that I am personally committed to bringing back the life that we once saw within our grounds and the celebration of Mexico which was our food. I would invite you to please contact me directly, as any and all comments are welcomed and well received, please help in pinpointing areas that might be perfected so that you can enjoy them with us on your next stay.

I in advance thank you for your time and prompt reply.

Reviewed 21 November 2010

You arrive and you are welcomed by a dozen rocking chairs. You walk towards the elevator and you see another dozen. Lobby bathrooms have all been refurbished for special needs. All the ground floor has no steps, unless you want to be right on the sand or the terrace, where it is only 5 steps or there is a ramp.
The hotel has its old style charm, decently kept, and completely mopped about 15 times a day. Food is good and clean, the service great, and the location is spectacular. There is everything near you. Views for the restaurant and the beach to see the sunsets are fantastic. I had an ocean view, so that was nice. Bed was weird made funny noises, the source: it has a king size plastic whatchamathingies in case you wet it. Gosh.

I found three curious things during my stay. Windows , management and workers. There are windows everywhere, so no matter where you are, even in your room, you have the feeling that someone might just peep in. Even the public bathrooms have glass blocks, so beware if you turn on the light people will see your silhouette! Second thing, management changed and gossip says half the staff was fired recently, so whatever that means keep it in mind. And about the workers in general, with women nothing stands out, the norm, but someone opted to hire the men also on their good looks.

BEWARE: Non-smokers or people with allergies to smoke I recommend you do not stay here. Because it is all open-air lobby and hallways, there are no real policies that can be enforced in the public areas. And in the rooms, for some reason, hotel ventilation is hooked up thru the vents or lighting, but all rooms seem connected. So if the guest in the room next door smokes, yours gets it. The hotel solution is to spray something, but the smoke smell creeps back in a couple of hours even with the windows open for days.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank sebsreichel

To whom it may concern (sebsreichel),

I would like to begin this email by thanking you for taking the time to create a review of our staff, rooms and Hotel facilities; it is from candid comments that we are able to grow and learn. In regards to your comments on the change of management staff; I would like to assure you that the Hotel is still managed by the same family of owners since it’s inception in 1955. As the 4th generation to be tasked with this responsibility I can assure you that we strive to do nothing more than offer the quality service and hospitality which has built us into a landmark for the city, and a vacation destination for our loyal return guests. As for the looks of our staff, we thank you for the compliments and will definitely take note.

In regards to the smoking policies, I can assure you that smoking within rooms and common areas are strictly enforced, and I am saddened to hear that they affected the quality of your stay. I would like to personally offer my assistance in making sure that the selection of your room, and the quality of your stay, meet and exceed your expectations.

Please feel free to contact me direct so that I may help you in the process of creating a package that better suits your needs.

Reviewed 10 November 2010

I have stayed at the Playa Mazatlan several times. This last time, however, I found things have gone downhill. First, the food is not as good as it used to be. The service is not as good as it used to be. Then, this thing about not being able to bring in your own beer or other liquor--well, guess where I'm not going on my next trip to Mazatlan, which will be over Christmas vacation....I used to love staying there and have recommended to many of my friends from up north to stay there. Not anymore. Another thing I am getting so tired of in Mazatlan is the time share sales people who actually pull at your sleeves and approach you every time you step out into the street. I have no intention of purchasing a time share--it's a foolish investment, to say the least--I'd rather pay for a good hotel than to get roped into a costly timeshare. The "maintenance" fee alone pays for my hotel wherever I want to stay. It's getting rather ridiculous to have to shove the salespeople out of the way just to get to the street. It's ruining the tourist trade there. Someone needs to look at it and put a stop to it. I'm sure there's still plenty of foolish people who do buy timeshares, but isn't there a way to leave those of us who know better out of the scene so we can enjoy our vacation?

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

To whom it may concern (Katerina),

I am writing this email in the hopes of responding to your recent posting about our Hotel and your latest stay. As a member of the family of owners and management staff, I am saddened to hear that your opinion has changed, and I would like to personally help in changing your mind back. The policy for not allowing alcoholic beverages on common areas has been in place for many years, yet this does not apply to you having personal beverages within your room, and we would be happy to accommodate a refrigerator on your next stay. In regards to the Time share sales people, this is an issue that is constantly brought to our attention, yet we are unable to change the policies of other Hotels, I can guarantee to you that you will not be harassed on our premises, and we will treat you as if you where already an owner of our facilities.

Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service in selecting a package that would better suit your needs, as well as help in establishing guidelines that will allow you to enjoy and celebrate your well desired vacation and time off.

Again we apologize for your latest experience and look forward to the opportunity of heeling you become a fan of the Hotel Playa Mazatlan once again. I in advance thank you for your time, posting and prompt reply.

Reviewed 30 September 2010

We've been coming to Hotel Playa for 25 years and it keeps getting better. The beach is great- one of the best and biggest in Mazatlan. Most of the rooms are on the ocean- what a view! The staff is wonderful and the atmosphere is fabulous.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Malibu66

To whom it may concern (Missmalibu1966),

I am writing this letter in reference to your comments about our Hotel. As member of the management staff and the family of owners; I would personally like to thank you for the continued support of our business, as well as the endearment expressed towards our staff and facilities. I am glad to hear that Mazatlan as a destination and The Hotel Playa Mazatlan family have made their way in to your heart and that of your friends and family that have traveled with you. I look forward to the continued building of memories with us and would as well express my interest in any and all family pictures that you might have accrued over the years at our resort; we are currently in the process of expanding our database of memories and would love to offer you and your family an opportunity to be part of our e-album.

Again I thank you for your continued travels to our Hotel, kind thoughts and reviews, and I look forward to having the opportunity to thank you personally next time you come down. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Warm Wishes,

Reviewed 19 August 2010

My girlfriend and I (Age 22 & 25) stayed here in a "Garden View" room, which has 2 double beds. We knew that the Pool/Garden View class only has double beds, but we couldn't really justify the extra $200+ to upgrade to an Ocean View with a queen, so that's how it went.

We slept poorly the first couple nights as a result, but we got used to the smaller bed and after that it was plenty comfortable. The AC worked well and the room was in good shape - if it was a bit old. The shower was nice and powerful, and we didn't have issues with any of the other room amenities. The room had a small closet, a desk, with a 27" (or so) TV, a couch, a chair with foot rest and 2 chairs and a table out on the balcony.

The hotel restaurant was just alright, and far more expensive that other restaurants we went to, both downtown and in the golden zone. The live music at night was fun, but nothing inspiring. This is also the off season, so I don't imagine they bring out their big guns. There is a restaurant by the main pool as well which is not run by the restaurant and is very good. You must try the Shrimp Burger, and Roman is ALWAYS in a good mood so you're sure to have a good time :)

The beach was great and there were plenty of Palapas. Nice sand and lots of waves. It was a bit hot when we were there so we didn't do a lot of lounging, but we spent tons of time in the water.

We haven't been in the winter, but in the summer the hotel was almost entirely vacationing nationals. If for some reason you want to come to Mexico and not hang out with any Mexicans don't stay here in the summer.

The hotel was close to an ATM, close to a bus stop (not that a bus stop is really required to get a bus) and there were always pulmonias waiting at the security gate.

If you're looking for a 5 star resort, don't stay here. If you're looking for a reasonably comfortable place to sleep, with a great beach, while you enjoy all Mazatlan has to offer I can highly recommend staying at the Hotel Playa Mazatlan

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Michael O

To whom it may concern (carfullofpandas),

I am writing this letter in the hopes of thanking you for your honest and direct review of our Hotel. As a member of the management staff and family of owners, I would like to start by personally thanking you for selecting our Resort during your stay in Mazatlan, as well as urge you to please feel free to contact me directly with ideas and recommendations to the Hotel. I am all ears when it comes to learning from our guest on ways to improve the quality and service that we offer. I would as well like to recommend the months of October and or February if you are looking to spend time on the beach with cooler weather and a more diverse client base. I am glad to hear that you endeavored into other areas of town outside of the Golden Zone to experience the other foods and services that Mazatlan has to offer. I would like to invite you and your girlfriend to please send me pictures of your trip as we are in the process of building an e-album of our clients over the years.

Also note that in future I would like to personally assist you in the process of your reservations, so that we may discuss the pros and cons of various packages in the hopes of creating one that will suit your specific needs. I in advance thank you for your time and consideration.

Warm Wishes,

Reviewed 12 August 2010

Good family hotel. We are staying in a Junior Suite which has a comfortable bed and is very roomy with a nice balcony/ocean view. The staff is extremely helpful and eager to help. I would say this is the #1 asset of this hotel and hope they are treated with respect by management and paid appropriately. The restaurant is very nice and offers decent value ( good quality breakfast and lunch buffet). On the negative side, I am a frequent traveler and am pretty shocked (not an understatement) to be charged ~$16 x nite for a rollaway ( the sofa in the Junior Suite is not a sofa bed as in most "suites") fro my child. A hotel of this category should not be "padding the bill" with such "extras".Also would note that WIFI rarely worked in our room. Despite this, would maybe stay again if not traveling with both children (then I wouldn't need a rollaway).

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

To whom it may concern (ViajeroGringo99),

I am writing this letter with the hopes of expressing my gratitude for your comments regarding our organization, facilities and primarily our staff. In response to your question/comment; Yes, we do believe our staff to be the number one asset that the Hotel has, for this reason they are offered an extremely competitive salary as well as long term benefits, that have led many of our employees to have multiple generations of family members employed here, as well as contracts averaging at more than 15 -30 years. As a member of the management staff, as well as the family of owners; I would like to personally thank you for mentioning that you would recommend us to one of your friends, we value your business and understand that word of mouth is the best form of marketing. I would love to invite you and your family to please visit again; and allow me to help you with your personal needs in establishing a package that fits and exceeds your accommodation needs. As well, please send us copies of your pictures during your trip, as we are currently building an e-album that would benefit from having images reflective of your good time.

I look forward to personally thanking you on your next visit and look forward to hearing from you in regards to the afore mentioned soon. I in advance thank you for your time and consideration.

Best Wishes,