“This is our favourite hotel in Mexico!!”

Ranked #5 of 78 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersGold level
larjoy
“This is our favourite hotel in Mexico!!”
Reviewed 22 February 2011

We have stayed at this hotel about a dozen times since 1974 and it never ceases to amaze me. Some of the staff have been there since we first visited the hotel. The staff are helpful and polite. We love the cleanliness of the hotel. It is very well maintained !!! Seems as though whenever we visited the public bathrooms, they were either being cleaned or recently had been cleaned which is important to us. Our room(Oceanview) was very clean . The shower was excellent. We stayed on the European Plan so paid for our own meals. Meals at the hotel were reasonably priced and good quality with quick service. We ate many meals at the many restaurants in the golden Zone around the hotel. We love to dance and spend most evenings in La Terazza dancing to the band. If we have one complaint , it was the plastic protector covering the mattress. It was extremely uncomfortable. The sheets would never stay tucked in and ended up in a ball beneath us. A small point but it did affect our sleep!! The beach was as usual, comfortable with many chairs to sit under the Palapas. We have never seen the hotel as empty!! One of the reasons why there were Palapas available at all times during the day. There was very few tourists this year so the shops were dead as was the restaurants in the golden Zone. There was the odd cruise that stopped in to liven things up for a few hours but it was basically dead. La Playita was closed but beach service was great. The Fiesta was not on due to low tourist volumes which was a shame. All in all , another great experience at the Playa Mazatlan. It has yet to disappoint us!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Larry C
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Manager at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 3 March 2011
To whom it may concern (larjoy),

I would like to begin by thanking you for your last 30+ years of continued loyalty to the Playa Mazatlan, as a member of the family of owners as well as the management staff it is paramount that we offer high levels of service and comfort that make you continue to come back. I really appreciate you taking the time to post a comment on trip advisor, and I promise that I will take into consideration your comments on the “Plastic covers” for our beds, offering you a quality stay and restful night is part of what we are all about and we welcome all forms of feedback on the matter.

I offer my contact information so that you may feel free to contact me direct in future for any assistance in booking your next stay. I again thank you for your time and prompt reply.

LT VIENT

“Serving you since 1955”

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 17 February 2011

The staff at the lobby welcomed us back for visit #6, when my wife and I arrived on January 7th until January21. The weather was great with temps in the 70's...cool by Mazatlan standards but a welcome break from winter in British Columbia. We noticed that the hotel was less than full vacancy, so I didn't have to get up at 4am to reserve a palapa ! The gals who clean the rooms are very hard working and honorable folks...always willing to go the extra steps to make our holiday memorable. Because there's so many great eateries within a short walking distance, we didn't do all-inclusive...besides; the walk back to the hotel is great for walking off the calories !! Have lunch at the cantina by the pool...you'll meet Roman. He's a great resource for Mazatlan information. We didn't have any trouble with bringing in a few beers to the room...for consumption in the room. Remember; if you do take it to the beach..TIP ALFREDO anyhow; that's how he makes his pay is with your tips. This was the 6th time we've been to the Playa Mazatlan and we're sure to go back again soon. Great sunsets too. You won't regret staying here. Thanks for your help, Lance.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank harryW51
To whom it may concern (harryW51),

It was a pleasure to be of service and have you back at our resort, we are sorry that the ambience was not the normal and we appreciate your understanding. I would like to personally thank you for posting a positive comment on this forum, it means a lot to us and it is of great value to other readers. We are happy to hear that we have gained a loyal guest in you and we look forward to you coming back “home” soon.

Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of assistance in the near future as I would like to make sure that we can improve our rating in the areas of value and service on your next stay. I in advance thank you for your time and prompt reply.

Best Wishes,
LT VIENT
“Serving you since 1955”
San Diego, California
Reviewed 10 February 2011

We had the pleasure of staying at the Playa for ten days in December and we enjoyed it tremendously. The room was large and clean, the bed was very comfortable and we truly enjoyed the little balcony that overlooked the beach. The staff, particularly the concierge, were very helpful in arranging excursions for us and providing restaurant recommendations. There are three pools, plus a spa. We only used the main pool and it was clean and surprisingly warm. The adjacent cafe (not part of the hotel) had good food, reasonably priced and a charming wait staff.

We were very sorry when it came time to leave but I am certain we will be back!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tilden717
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Manager at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 14 February 2011
To whom it may concern (tilden717),

I am writing this email in the hopes of thanking you for your kind words and taking the time to make them known on trip advisor, as well as your continued loyalty to our Hotel; as a member of the family of owners and management staff it is comments like these that make our job worthwhile. Please feel free to contact me directly in future if I can be of any form of service.

Again thank you for your time and prompt reply.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 31 January 2011

I have been going to the Playa since 1981. Ive always liked the hotel and it used to have a high rating. Today I see it has fallen to #17. The gardens have remained beautiful and the culture was always so rich, thanx to the great staff that had been there for years. Of course it is a noisy hotel but last time we stayed there it was a bunch of teenage party-goers slamming heavy doors in the hallways all night. Security never did show up and my husband ended up handleing the situation by himself.
We have been stopped near the lobby and told we couldnt bring our beer in. The drinks are expensive and small .
The front desk barely had time to listen to our concerns about our room and we felt ignored.
Unfortunatelly, the changes Playa's management have made in the last 20 years, have disappointed clients from years gone by. im wondering how these changes have improved or enhanced the travellers holiday. Your room rates are significantly higher than others.

I am planning a two week holiday, but due to your rule changes and prices I will not be staying at Playa. I hear the older staff has been let go, I will miss them. They were always a charming part of my holiday. One of the waiters had shown me a photo of the cart that first came to the hotel. He had worked there that long!! He recognized my husband and I from past vacations and knew us well enough to say hello. I will miss the staff. They really made this hotel what I considered to be the best in Mazatlan.

As for bringing in food to the hotel, I am diabetic and would prefer to keep a few items of food in my room, just in case. I dont want to have to smuggle in food and feel like a criminal.as I am already paying for the room.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Playa172011
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Manager at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 9 February 2011
To whom it may concern (Playa172011),

Dear guest, I would like to begin by thanking you for your continued loyalty to our Hotel over the last 30 years. I can attest to the fact that there have been many changes to the Hotel, primarily based on needs and upgrades; the changes that you see in staff are primarily because of tenure and retirement ages. I apologize if this has cause a feeling of disconnect with the Hotel, but I can assure you that your comfort and leisure in the Hotel are of paramount importance to us. As a member of the family of owners and e-commerce manager it is my personal responsibility to make sure that you feel welcome, heard and included in our decision making process to future, your recent comments on Trip advisor are one of many that are currently being used to improve our standings with our guests and we welcome them in future. I would like to take the time in this email to offer my personal assistance in future, in the hopes of establishing the best value to your room stay cost and rekindling you as a loyal guest / friend of the Playa.

I would ask that you please contact me direct and let me know what we need to do to make sure that your next stay in Mazatlan is at home, at the Hotel Playa Mazatlan; in regards to your concern with the alcoholic beverages, know that our policy is that outside beverages can not be consumed on the public premises of the Hotel, but there is no policy on drinking these within your rooms.

I hope this email finds you well and relieves some of your concerns about the Hotel; we again thank you for your time and prompt reply.

Minnesota
Reviewed 5 January 2011

First let me say that I am a 15 year return guest and one of the hotels best free advertising. Over the years I have brought friends, groups as small as 4 and as great as 40 people.
Am I reading the truth? You cant buy beer accross the street and drink it on the PUBLIC beach at the Playa anymore? You cant even bring it into your room?
Am I also to believe that no food from another restaurant can be brought onto the premises or the beach for consumption?
I can tell you that if this is the truth than our group of 15 will staying somewhere else this year.
We all buy our daily drinks (except for beer) from your bar and do eat at least breakfast or lunch( from your restaurant) on the beach everday. In addition, our group spends hundreds of dollars eating at your outdoor patio restaurant at least two times in 7 days, and have a night cap drink in restaurant EVERY night before retiring for the evening.
I surely hope it is worth the loss of the $50 bucks we spend on beer and $10 we might spend at mcdonald for an occasional breakfast on the beach, to lose out on all of our business.
Some things just make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Stayed February 2010
5 Thank MNSU
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Manager at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 8 January 2011
To whom it may concern (MNSU),

I am writing this email in the hopes of clarifying some of your concerns. As a member of the family of owners and management staff I can guarantee that your comfort and happiness at our resort is of paramount importance, and regardless of the expenditures that you or your group may make at our facilities, making sure that you go back home with a smile on your face and a plan to return in the near future is the most important thing to us and me personally.

In response to some of your concerns:

- The Hotel policy is that no outside food or drink is to be consumed on the Hotels' shared premises, this being the pool areas, beach areas, gardens and general grounds. You are more than welcome to bring these into your room and consume them at your leisure. There are many rooms that offer kitchenettes and/or have the option of a refrigerator to be brought in.

- The Hotel Playa has the luxury of a private beach which consist of any of the areas between the Hotel and the retention wall or ropes depending on what side of the Hotel you prefer to take use of, we do not set any regulations for the Public beaches as they are owned by the Public and therefore held to city laws and regulations.

I hope that these two point allow for a bit of clarification to your concerns, and I would as well like to offer my assistance if at any time in future I can be of service in resolving issues or helping make your stay a more pleasant one. Note that our aim is to make this a memorable and enjoyable vacation destination and all of your points will be heard and discussed in the hopes of coming up with ways to make that an easy task to accomplish. As well I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a comment on Tripadvisor, it is comments such as these that will help us perfect our service and continue to grow as a business.

In advance I thank you for all of your time and consideration.

Best Wishes,
E-commerce and Marketing Manager
Naucalpan, Mexico
Reviewed 31 December 2010

I stayed in this hotel almost 30 years ago. I returned during December and the hotel is as nice as I remembered. The rooms were great, the restaurant very nice and the staff always helpful and polite. I have to say that the price is correct. The beach is completely clean and the pool, even though seems a bit small, is pretty and has a much needed warming system during the winter season. I don't think I have a criticism.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank mfloresv
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Manager at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 6 January 2011
To whom it may concern (mfloresv),

I am writing this letter in the hopes of thanking you for your kind words, great review and recent stay here at the Playa Mazatlan. As a member of the family of owners and management team, I can say that we strive to retain quality rooms, service and grounds; having the opportunity to have someone give a positive critique gives us the fuel to continue to strive.

Again thank you for your continued stay and we look forward to being of service to you and your family in future.

Best wishes,
E-commerce and Marketing Manager
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 26 November 2010

My wife and I were quite disappointed with a few things at Hotel Playa Mazatlan during our stay (from November 17th - November 24th). The hotel was recommended by a family member that stayed there numerous times before but I feel that there are issues which should be resolved for future guests otherwise I don't think this will be the last complaint about them.

1. BAD - Too Many Wasps! I was told that this is 'bee season' which I do not believe. We were constantly surrounded by wasps while eating at La Terraza. Our family member on one day ordered an omelet and there was a wasp cooked into it. On another day my wife was eating hot cakes and there was one in her syrup and then when the waiter brought out another jar of syrup there were two more inside of the jar! This hotel and only one other hotel (Casa de Oro) are the only two hotels along the Golden Zone which had wasp problems outside; we had been in all of the hotels within the zone and believe me when I say that you are the only two hotels with this problem.

2. BAD – La Playita (Closed). The website indicates that this is a place to eat but I have never seen it open during our week long stay nor have we noticed any hours of operation. They should (if it is closed down) place this information on their website or put a sign up outside of the window claiming that it is closed for business, it is quite misrepresenting when I expect 2 eateries at a hotel and there is only one open/available.

3. BAD – Overpriced Alcohol. We had been both on the beach and at La Terraza and both times the daiquiris were small (one ounce of liquor) and overpriced (about 550 or more pesos). Every place that we went to outside of the hotel had twice as much alcohol (large fishbowl glasses – 2 ounces) for less than 500 pesos and for me the Pacifico beer was usually 2 for 1 or at least the price reflected it elsewhere.

4. BAD – Incorrect Tour Pricing. At the Concierge desk there is a price board indicating that the Country Tour is $550 pesos but when we went to pay for it they said that it was now $660 pesos. I will not complain to the Concierge as it would be too lengthy to explain and I do not think it would help but in Canada they would have to honor the price marked on the board (at the very least, put a piece of paper with the new price and tape it to the board).

5. BAD – Maid Service. On our second day we placed the ‘Do not disturb’ sign in our key-card slot and went shopping. When we arrived back in the early afternoon the cleaning lady was in our room. We asked why she was in there and she said the sign was not in the door, YES it was because I was the person that put it in there before shutting the door. This is unacceptable!

6. GOOD – Friendly staff.

7. GOOD – Location.

As there is more bad than good to mention about this hotel/stay, we are not going to return to Hotel Playa Mazatlan unless some of these issues are resolved or that there is something is guaranteed as an incentive to return to this location.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Greg C
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Manager at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, 15 December 2010
To whom it may concern (SunInMyEyes),

I will begin this message by thanking you for your candid review of our Hotel and concern for our future guests. As someone whom is being referred to our resort I am extremely sorry for not meeting and/or exceeding your expectations and would like to offer my assistance in resolving and clearing some of your concerns.

- In regards to the wasps and bee issue; being that we are an open air restaurant with multiple grounds it tends to be an area that does attract many bees, especially during the “Bee/Wasp” season, I can ensure that the grounds have been sprayed and checked for nests multiple times and whenever found they have either been moved or eradicated. Although this may not be a sufficient resolution, I can ensure that it is not common place year round.

- In regards to the cost of alcoholic beverages; I have reviewed our menu and have not been able to locate any item listed at a $500 -$550 cost, but have in fact spoken to the Food and Beverage department to ensure that the pricing and size of our beverages are compatible with those of other locations.

- In regards to the Playita; we have taken the steps necessary to notate the closure of the restaurant during off peak seasons so that this issue does not recur.

- In regards to the maid service; I can assure you that the training that they receive is extensive and that the signs have been put in the rooms in the hopes of allowing the client the flexibility to have their rooms cleaned at their leisure. If this was not the case I would like to apologize for the intrusion and inconvenience as this is not something that the Hotel would approve of, any other information that can be offered on the manner would be well received and resolved accordingly.

- In regards to the issue with the pricing on the tours, this is a matter that has been brought to my attention and the resolution has been made, in future we will be guaranteeing any prices listed and I would like to personally apologizing for the way in which this matter was handled, in future I would be more tan happy to offer my personal assistance in guaranteeing that you receive the highest value for your costs.

Please feel free to contact me directly, so that you may receive the most up to date packages, and the best service possible.

I in advance thank you for your time and prompt reply.