“Dance of the Relationship”

Angela Peralta Theater (Teatro Angela Peralta)
Book In Advance
More Info
US$30.00*
and up
Mazatlan City Tour by Bike
Ranked #5 of 105 things to do in Mazatlan
More attraction details
Owner description: Restored movie theater in downtown Mazatlan.
Reviewed 5 November 2013

A few years ago I visited old Mazatlan, staying at the old hotel on the waterfront. On the eve of the Day of the Dead parade, I fell in behind the donkey cart, near the crazy band playing the "song of the lost child" over and over, between trips to the beer keg on the back of the donkey cart. The parade would stop while the lady of death, in a black lace dress, with her face covered in black lace, visited each offrenda along the route to the theatre. She carried a huge scythe. When she exited each offrenda, the parade moved forward. At the end of the journey, in front of the theatre, up on the balconies, there were couples, dancing the dance of the relationship, over and over, making up, breaking up, fighting, It was fascinating. The local bakery handed out "bread of the dead" which was very much like the egg bread my mom made for easter every year. The doors to the theatre opened, and a pantomime ensued, with mourning for a local artist who smoked. His characters were mourning his passing.

I can't put in the date I visited, as I don't remember the year, so I've put November 2013, as this is a once a year event, and I'm sure each year the performances will be different. There were very few tourists as this was at night, maybe 8 pm. What struck me was the local women, no one had a purse. I learned you don't carry a purse or bag there if you want to fit in.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"tickets"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed 14 October 2013

On our first visit in 1988 the theater was unusable. I don't know if restoration had begun, but I have a picture of trees growing in the interior. We make sure to visit Old Town and the now restored and elegant theater on every trip to Mazatlan. One Christmas season we enjoyed a children's production of The Nutcracker in balcony seating, which is not very comfortable. The theater should be a must-see for new visitors to the city.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

This is a very beautiful venue and not expensive for what you get.Prices vary as to what performances are playing.You won't be disappointed

1  Thank PatrickM918
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We were a bit skeptical about going out in town from all the bad press we hear, we felt safer than some areas near our own home. older buildings with beautiful design. People were very nice and plaza Machado is a great place to get things at a bargain. The cathedral is something you must see. We did see the outside of he opera house but not able to go in.

1  Thank robert w