“We go every year!”

Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan
Ranked #7 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
Reviewed 4 February 2009

This has been our family spot for about 15 years. We always go back around the same time (between late March and mid-April) for 1 week and the weather is always great! Pueblo Bonito is great because the rooms are spacious, clean and they have a large area which includes two pools, spas and restaurants. It's great for families. The also have a lot of activities during the day such as pool volleyball, bingo and other games. We find that the beach is usually great to swim in, and there are several big palapas for shade. They even offer a happy hour in the afternoon. The food is pretty good as well, but there is a lot of fabulous restaurants in town and for a much better value. The location is a little bit outside of downtown but not nearly as far as Emerald Bay. It's a quick taxi or bus ride. We love going every year!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank NWTravelerz

Reviewed 28 January 2009

We spent a week at Pueblo Bonito after 3 days at the Marina El Cid. We liked the Marina better because of the layout and room size but Pueblo Bonito was charming. We were able to avoid the time share presentation and glad we did. Although walking anywhere you have to do the same. In the historic district you are free from this insanity.

The grounds of PB are very nice, workers very friendly. Mateo at the pools is particularly friendly and gives you a good warning when happy hour starts. Happy hour could be longer.

The Deli is superb. Tried to avoid it at first but once tried the peanut butter cookies was hooked. Good sandwiches-but pricey. There is a carmel looking candy with nuts called a Gloria which was incredible.

The spa was funky-not very clean and not very warm. Avoid it unless they get new filtration system.

The internet cafe was priced a bit high-both for Mexico and for those of us staying there. It would be nice to have a break on the price if you are staying at the hotel.

Getting around from the hotel is easy. Busses are 8 pesos and can take you everywhere. A great place for a massages is next to Mary's Cafe (think it's called Mayo) which is diagonally across and south of the El Cid ask for Maaree or Jackie. Both do great deap tissue massages. Good training and only $30 for an hour.

There are a lot of wonderful resteraunts-two of the best is Topolo in the historic district ( 620 Constitution) and Aree lui lui's (behind the Shrimp Factory near Panchos). The latter has very fresh an inexpensive Lobster. The only negative is at night the hostess does a low key time share sell.

Overall, Mazatlan is a nice place to visit. Reminds me of older Mexico when people were nice and friendly and resteraunts were inexpensive.

Oh a good place for breakfast about a block or two south of PB is Loco Locos. It's right on the beach and breakfast is $3.99. And great coffee Rico's Cafe-near Mary's I mentioned above.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Adra
Reviewed 21 January 2009

First trip to Mazatlan and just loved the beauty, culture, people and food! This hotel while not exactly luxury was really delightful. We booked on a timeshare swap thru RCI and were really pleased with our exchange. Room with small kitchen and seating area was large, very clean with no housekeeping or maintenance issues. The beds need replacing (yes, we had the feather matress toppers over the pillow tops) but they were lumpy and hard. That's our only negative and we can usually find a few things that could be improved.

January weather was nighttime 50's to daytime high 70's and always windy. Worked for us in that our tanning days are over. We needed jeans and jackets most days and every night and were thankful we read your reviews and were prepared. So many visitors were not. We have previously visited Cancun, Alcapulco, Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo, Merida, Mexico City and Puerto Vallarta numerous times.

We've decided we prefer Maz to all of the above. The employees at PB Maz are truly delightful and I wish I could name them all here. Loved the painting ceramics (one of the most unlikely things I would ever thought our group would do) two afternoons. Celbono who runs the ceramics is wonderful at the little touch ups! The food is good but we have agreed - not great. The Fiesta night buffet was all fried and could be purchased at any American fast food restaurant. Really NOT good. Maybe the salads were ok if you eat raw onion in everything! We tried many of the restaurants recommended on this site and all were very good in their own ways. It's not American food so you need to love it for what it is.

Don't miss the square where Pedro y Lola's is located on Friday or Saturday night and eat outside if at all possible, it's even worth the wait. Everyone who had been there agreed it is the best food in Maz and the prices are very reasonable. The square comes alive and is really fun and the jazz is great!

Only REAL NEGATIVE - lots of reviewers have told you that the timeshare presentation at BP Emerald Bay is not high pressure. Owning two timeshares I can honestly tell you this was rude and offensive with Trent, the salesman using foul language on four occasions. Emerald Bay is going to be beautiful some day when complete but we knew immediately we don't go to Mexico to stay at the Ritz, you can do that in the U.S. If that's what your looking for, Emerald Bay may be for you. With two of us touring, we make well more than $25. per hour each so three hours of our limited vacation time was a huge waste! We had planned on staying the day and visiting their spa but after that man finally slowed and we walked away we just about ran to the entrance and took a taxi rather than staying on that property a minute longer. Awful, awful experience! Another visitor at PB Maz took the tour and after complaining about the salesman got $400.00 credit at PB Maz so If you hate that tour as much as we all did, complain and get all you can for your trouble. I only wish we had the patience to complain at the time, we just wanted off the property!

Back to the good part. Timeshare salesmen on the street weren't really a problem a FIRM - "No - Gracias" and they will leave you alone. Last resort, "we are leaving this afternoon or in the morning". We rode the bus into town three days and really enjoyed the experience and it's very easy. Open air cabs are fun once or twice but they get old with the fumes in traffic. We drank the water and ate the ice in all the restaurants with no problems.

Finally, we would have been very happy just sitting on our balcony (Rm 421) watching the palms sway and the surf roll. The grounds and pool are lovely and the people watching is great. The beach was active even at 70 degrees and firm wind. We will definitely revisit PB Maz even though it is a challenge to get there from Dallas (7 hours) one way, it was worth the time. We were thankful we had not landed in a Cancun like resort that is more American than ethnic Mexican. Mazatlan feels real and it's fun!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
5  Thank Topcat9
Reviewed 3 December 2008

My husband and I spent Thanksgiving week at the Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan. My first impression was that it was a very nice hotel. I still think that somewhat. I thought the people who work there are extremely friendly, efficient and want to make sure you have a wonderful stay. We stayed as a hotel guest rather than a timeshare owner. I loved the pool, the beach and I have to agree with another post on Trip Advisor, Cilantro's restaurant does have the best Tortilla Soup I have ever had.
We also spent a day at PB Emerald Bay. We were told that if you are a guest at Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan, you could also use the Emerald Bay facilities and charge to your room. We found out that is not the case, at least at the pool bar at the adult pool. The bartender there told us he expected us to pay cash and we could not charge drinks and lunch to our PB Mazatlan room. Not that big of a deal since I had plenty of pesos with me, but that misrepresentation bugged me a bit.
The room at the PB Mazatlan was a bit dated, but it was clean. Housekeeping service was excellent. I think they need to replace the bedding and pillows. The pillows especially smelled musty. I realize it is a humid envinronment, but maybe they could leave the A/C on in the rooms or at least not cover them with the musty bedspread.
There was one incident on the beach one day. After about 3 days there, we had our favorite spot and there was another couple about 3 palapas over from us. One day, I guess they went for lunch and left their towels, kayak, etc on their lounges. One of the security guards came over and moved their stuff and gave their chairs to a group of four who were looking for lounge chairs. There is a sign that says that if you are gone for an hour or so, that your things will be moved. I think that is to prevent people from reserving lounge chairs at 7:30 AM and not showing up until 10. Whatever the reason, I think managment should make guests more aware that their things may be moved to the towel shed if they are gone too long. There is also a newsletter in the lobby that I did not see until check out day. In the newsletter is said that palapas need to be reserved and can only be reserved for a maximum of 2 hours. I think that is ridiculous, and apparently it is not enforced, since we spent about 4 hours each day under the palapas.
Overall, we liked the hotel and Mazatlan in general. The location is great, in the middle of the hotel zone, great restaurants, the on-site deli is fully stocked, very nice cashier who gave me wine buying tips. The deli sandwiches and salads are very fresh, good cappuccino too. I would stay again as I think it is an above average resort. I would also recommend it to friends and family.

Stayed: November 2008
5  Thank MDavisTucson_AZ
Reviewed 3 December 2008

Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan is a very comfortable, practical and well maintained resort. It's not over the top but it is definitely above average. It's not the epitomy of luxury and it's not a boutique hotel, and those may be its' greatest assets because instead of feeling like you're in a gallery where you better be careful you don't break anything, at Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan it's like you're visiting close friends who make you feel right at home.
The suites are far from fancy, you won't find designer furniture here, but there's no mistaking you're south of the border; the colonial feel is everywhere, from the cold tiles under your feet to the bright colors of the decor. The hotel layout is intelligent; you won't get lost but you also won't feel trapped. If you're anything like me, you'll be grateful there's a computer center where you can sip on a latte while you check your email, place a bid on eBay, or read the Seattle Times (or whatever you read at home).
The hotel has three restaurants (all very good), a deli with oh-so-yummy desserts, and a little boutique where you can get sun block or clothes, or fashion jewelry, and there's also a fine jewelry store. But if you want to buy jewelry my advice is that you cross the street and visit the sterling silver shops in the little mini crafts mall.
The Pueblo Bonito staff could not be nicer or warmer. You become friends with everybody. My favorite people were Juanita, our cleaning lady, and the guys at the bar palapa by the pool on the "Pueblito" section, whose names are Fernando and Mateo.
All in all it was an excellent experience and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
6  Thank LaDiora
Reviewed 23 November 2008

I was probably the only European in the entire huge resort of Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan. This place felt like little "USA".
I am well travelled, visited many many countries all around the world and this hotel resort really impressed me. Especially the staff is very efficient, nice and professional. I liked both their restaurants, the service was fast, food was fresh.

I would like to thank all guys here on TripAdvisor because based
on your reviews I have selected Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan and it
was a great choice. Thanks! I would strongly recommend this resort to everybody.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
6  Thank akosamas
Reviewed 17 November 2008

My wife and I have been visiting Pueblo Bonito regularly for over ten years. This is my favorite property in Mazatlan. When this property was originally built it was considered somewhat remote. Now, with the development of the new Mazatlan harbor the PB is more centrally located. The staff at this property seldom turns-over and this results in first class service. The laundry service (charged by the pound) is very inexpensive.

The on-site restaurant, Cilantro's, is consistantly good...in the evening try the house specialty, the Mexican Coffee drink..with a very nice table side presentation.

The PB is beginning to show a little age. Though the property is always very clean and well maintained the newer properties have more "glitz." This being said, the PB has a distinct boutique property with a terrific service level.

We'll be heading back next week for another wonderful stay.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple