“El CID marina stay”

El Cid Marina Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I cannot say enough about the staff at Marina El CID. They are the most wonderful and kind people around. We have been there 15 years in a row and go back because of the people. The scenery is just an added benefit.

Olivia Vazquez provides superior housekeeping services and treats us like family. The bellman are fantastic and make us feel like royalty. Special thanks to Valerio, Jose R., Avisensio, Rafael, Israel, Freddy, And Jesus.

It starts when we check in and Luis always remembers us and then we know we are back. Also special thanks to Javier and Fidel for serving us great food and drinks with lots of fun and service.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the large lagoon pool are fantastic!
1  Thank Shirley M
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Dear, Shirley M

Thank you for you kind words and your efforts in filling out such a wonderful review about our staff and hotel! Always was a pleasure when we see our passionate staff is appreciated by our guests. It warms our hearts to see that El Cid guests from all over the world can share their thoughts about El Cid with its team. I am pleased that you were able to appreciate our service we has to offer and hope that on your next stay you get to enjoy more.
Your words are our best motivation and help us to keep on going in the right direction.

It will be a pleasure for us to welcome you again in our Hotel.

Isaias Gomez

Write a ReviewReviews (2,501)

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We spent a few days here and could not be more pleased. The staff were terrific and the room was spotless. And who can fault the view of the marina and the beach. Easy bus ride to the old town. Absolutely love Mazatlán and the El Cid just makes it all that much better.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the north block over looking the channel and the beach. You will not be disapp...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank leif w
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear: leif w

What a pleasant experience, we want to thank you for share your impressions in your recent visit to Mazatlan.

Your feedback is of great concern to me and I truly enjoy reading you found El Cid Marina a great place to stay. As we strive to provide each and every guest with a home away from home feeling, I hope we succeeded in giving you the most comfortable stay

I'm glad you had good time in Mazatlan and you enjoyed our hospitality.

My best wishes,

Isaías Gomez

Reviewed 8 January 2014

we ahd a grand time, 2 adults and 2 children, 15 and 12. we all had a very good time , AVI greeted us early in the reception and helped us with our bags. We were tired having traveled from Chicago and just wanted to rest. I asked Avi to grab us some beer and a few things at the market which he promptly did. His continued attention to our comfort during our trip made it a great stay.

Most other hosts and servers were excellent also. a good range of activity's also. I'd definitely stay again, the kids had a super time at each of the ElCid propertys, which we easily visited with the shuttle service. Great place though quite busy for the Christmas week.

Room Tip: ask for a room near the pool if you have kids or in the tower if you want a ocean view
2  Thank Diverep

Dear Diverep,

Thank you of sharing your comments with us. We are happy to been able to provide a nice holiday experience for you and your family on your recent stay in our resort. I am glad to hear that you received an excellent service and I want to thank you for the special mention for AVI of his excellent performance.

I can secure you that the hosts, servers and activities are happy to see the results of this great work and I can assure you that they will receive a special mention of their excellent work.

We hope to have you back with us.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

This was my first time at the El Cid. I went down there with 15 family members, from ages 80 to 5 and to an individual we all had a wonderful time. We are not El Cid members and so I want to provide this perspective of the resort, both good and bad.

The good parts are numerous, significant and meaningful.

First, start with the staff. They are friendly, accessible and helpful. I would specifically like to mention David and Sergio who work in the lobby, Lupita who works at the concierge’s desk and Sebastian who is on the grounds-crew. Sebastian particularly was a favorite of my family as he discovered we liked fresh coconut and on several occasions came up to us unbidden with fresh coconut he had harvested for us. The other staff is paid to provide excellent service; Sebastian went above-and-beyond. I know the General Manager of the resort reads this regularly and I hope he will appreciate how much Sebastian’s actions were appreciated by all of us.

Second, the facility is great. The rooms (we had a mix of single rooms with a single queen or two double beds) were all very comfortable. The pool is great! It is very big, clean, and easy for the 5 year old and the 80 year old to use and lots of activities. We played volleyball, basketball, jumped off the cliff, rode the slide and generally made great use of the pool! The fitness room and yoga classes were also good. Dalia is a good yoga instructor and I went to class 4 of the 7 days I was there.

Third, the beach is beautiful. It is a very nice stretch of beach that is cleaned every morning. Many of the palapas are reserved for members, which is a bit frustrating as many were not used and there was frequently a shortage of chairs/places to put your stuff. But, we had a great time on the beach – playing in the sand, playing volleyball and playing soccer.
Finally, the food is consistently good. Now, we never had a great meal. We went to the Marina once and the fusion (Alhambra?) place once. Both had excellent service and good food, but it wasn’t great. The buffet consistently provided very good, satisfying food and we all enjoyed the pool-side restaurant for breakfast and lunch. There was a good variety and the fruit specifically was always very fresh and delicious. It was great to have fresh guava so much!!!!
Now, the disappointments we experienced.

First, we sat through the time-share sales. Don’t unless you think you will buy. They say it takes 1.5 hours, it took over two; they say you get great discounts, you don’t. The discounts we got were basically funny numbers with inflated prices and then giving us half off. The only one that was valuable was the $60 off a tour/activity – but even then we had to tell the staff about the discount before we made the reservation, so I am pretty sure they inflated our price to assure they captured the discount. Let me offer two specific examples of the bad discounts. First, they gave us 2-for-1 massages at the spa but it still worked out to be $170 for a 50 minute massage. Second, we had to reschedule our snorkeling trip and because we went from the catamaran trip in 2013 to a regular snorkeling trip in 2014 the prices were different and we needed different coupons. This process took a LONG time and Perlita showed me the new 2014 prices. It was supposed to be $23.50 per person for snorkeling. After all our discounts (6 2-for-1’s and one $33 price) we ended up paying $22.50 a person. I know I wasn’t supposed to see those prices, but it made it clear to me the inducements they provide for the time-share meeting are not really worth it.

Second, the drinks are only OK and inconsistent. They use a pretty low-grade alcohol for the mixed drinks if you aren’t a club member. The quality of the drinks varied considerably depending on I don’t know what. I had margarita’s, mojoitos, caparinhas, pina coladas and daiquiris and generally I never knew if it would be too strong, too weak or what. That said they were free so you get what you pay for.

Third, the ocean is only OK. There was lots of trash in the water for several of the days we were there and all the complaints about the rocks are real. At low-tide, about 12 – 15 feet out there are a bunch of rocks out in the surf that make it very hard to wade out and impossible to play out in the waist-deep (for me, I am 6 foot) water. These rocks are not from the ocean – it is probably construction waste that was dumped. They aren’t that old, as the ocean growth (seaweed, etc) on them is minimal. But, they are real, they are there and they make enjoying the ocean itself (not the beach) very hard. You either have to play in the very shallow water or swim past the rocks and play where you can’t touch bottom. That was very upsetting to me, as I love the ocean. The staff did a good job of picking up the trash that washed up on shore, but it is still not very pleasant to have to swim out amidst a mess of plastic trash.

Fourth, the prices at the stores and merchants are absurd. I paid over $14 for a bag of Lays potato chips and a bag of Ritz Bits at the store; my nephew paid over $5 for a Gatorade; the jewelry and crafts they sell on-site are orders of magnitude cheaper in town (even factoring in the taxi ride) and there is a better variety in town.

That said we all had a wonderful time. I list the negatives only to be clear for other readers and to make sure the GM gets the comments. We paid approx $1600 per person for flights and 7 days at El Cid and it was well worth it. For a large group such as ours, it was a wonderful facility and I would recommend it only with the reservations I list above.

3  Thank PDC-Chris
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Dear Pdc-chris

Thank you for taking the time in writing this review, I always love to read about each and every experience whether it is good or bad we take it as a learning experience. How great that a lot of your family members were able to experience your first trip to El Cid Resorts. I’m glad my staff treated you like you deserved to be treated and were always attentive David, Sergio, Dalia and Sebastian will definitely be giving the recognition they deserve for going above and beyond on their service. It´s good to know you were fond of our hotel instillations for example our rooms, pools, and fitness center. We work hard in trying to maintain our facilities looking in tip top shape which is also why we are always renovating our resort. I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience with our time share department I’d like to thank you before hand for bring this to our attention rest sure that we will take the proper precaution to make sure this problem does not occur in a near future it’s great to know that this did not change your perspective on our resort and that you recommend us to fellow trip advisor members . We hope we have the pleasure in hosting you again I promise you you will see a change and improvement.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We have been throughout Mexico resort areas and own a time share with the Villa Group (Villa Del Arco Cabo, Villa El Palmar, etc.- a true 5 star facility). This resort is a three star (***), but no more. The staff was nice and helpful, the food average and the facility is dated in looks and ameneties. The room safe (still key operated not electronic) had to be drilled to even work, no bath tub, jacuzzi, dishwasher or washer and dryer. Mostly Mexican Nationals were there during New Years week. Not many Americans or Canadians which I suspect is because the place has lost its high end appeal many years ago. We used the gym every day while we were there. The equipment was Cybex which was nice. The gym facility was very dated with low ceilings, and a bathroom that was YMCA circa 1970. The gym bathroom had three showers in mens and womens areas. The first shower in my area was used for the mop bucket. My wife attempted to get a shower. The first two showers did not work and the third only had cold water. The other two hotel facitilies El Moro and Castillo (sp?) which we visited were even more dated. My wife used the spa. When you are trying to enjoy a relaxing massage, the loud tick tock clock in the room and the adjoining commercial clothes dryer next door is not conducive to the experience. My wife finally took the clock off of the wall and set it outside the room. We went to the obligatory time share pitch even though we own one, they first promised a deal on all inclusive meals which was to be added after the pitch then reversed themselves and said it had to be done before hand. We are used to the bait and switch for timeshare sales, but it was irritating nonetheless. The beaches were nice, but if you are looking for a first class facility look at the Villa Group.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AWTY2010

AWTY2010

Thank you off your time to write your recent stay. We appreciate that you share your comments with us. I am happy to hear that you received good service from our staff and that you enjoyed our gym services.

It is unfortunate that your stay was not pleasant do to some inconveniences here with us. We are updating everyday our facilities though there is always room for more and new improvements. I am glad to receive your comments to improve our facilities and to take as an area for improvements as you are the most important factor for us. We are hoping that in a near future you will consider our hotel again and see our hard efforts in providing the best service.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We just returned from a week at the El Cid Marina and thought I’d share our experience. Hopefully this will provide some information to you that’s helpful. Sorry it’s so long!!!

Our reservation was for the week of Christmas and around October El Cid called our home and offered us the AI package for $50 per day per person – indicating this was a limited half-price special that they were offering. When I asked if it included other restaurants at the other El Cid properties they told me NO, that it was only good for the Marina location. We declined.

El Cid Marina offers free transportation from the airport to their resort upon arrival. Return transportation is not included. They called us to set it up about 4 or 5 days prior to arrival and it was very easy. Once we went thru customs with our luggage we asked someone where the El Cid rep was and they pointed us in the right direction. Transportation was like a greyhound bus – slightly smaller but very comfortable and air-conditioned. Once everyone was on board – about 20 people - we took off for the resort. THIS is where they get you to sign up for the timeshare presentation. We listened to them speak to others first to see what they offered them so we’d be prepared once they got to us. “Rogelio” (sp?) offered us the AI rate of $40.00 per person per day and indicated that it was good for all restaurants at the other resorts except the Country Club, dinner at the El Cid Castilla and room service at the Marina. In addition to this he offered us transportation back to the airport from the resort and a $75.00 credit to use at the resort. Since there are 5 of us and we’d need 2 taxis or a van, so we took them up on the AI offer. (Private transportation is anywhere from $65.00 to $85.00 USD one-way)

Check-in was very easy – Nadia took great care of us and checked us in quickly. If you are interested in having Wi-Fi, you will need to pay for this at the front desk – its approx. $10 USD per day or $30 USD for the week for each device. Since both of our boys couldn’t live without their Wi-Fi we needed to purchase 2 access-codes. You will also need to give them your credit card for the room safe lock & key. If you do not return the lock & key at the end of your stay, they will charge you $70 USD. They will also give you a pool-towel card that you must present to the towel attendant at the pool. He will keep your card until you return the towels each day.

They gave us bottled water as we waited during check-in and then the bellboy (Octavio) took our bags and walked us to our room. He gave us a lay-out of the resort and filled us in on where things were. Once inside he went over everything in the room, showed us our private steps to the pool and gave us recommendations of dinner locations if we wanted to go outside the resort.

We went the following morning for the timeshare meeting and for breakfast, had the kids eat with us and then they headed to the pool while we listened to their offer. Since we know a great deal about presentations, the type of properties they are affiliated with and our own timeshare, this was very easy. Our rep knew that we were not going to bite and we were out in less than an hour. It was one of the easiest timeshare meetings we’ve ever participated in by far. Since we took the AI rate, we had them switch the $75.00 credit to a bottle of Tequila and a bottle of Kahlua. What would we use the credit on at the resort since we had the AI rate – nothing! We had to go to the front desk (the whole family) to get our wrist-bands for the AI package. There is a 7 digit number on each wrist band that you must give to each server when you are ordering food. They will match this up with your numbers at the front desk. When you check-out at the end of your stay, you will need to give them the wrist bands back or they will charge you $65.00 per bracelet

Now it’s time to enjoy our trip. The layout of the resort is very simple; once you come thru the lobby you walk down a little hill and face the marina. There is a set of buildings to the right and then all the other buildings are to the left. All of the buildings face the marina so everyone has a water view. Each building has 4 floors. The first level has walk-out patios, the second level will have a small balcony but they have private stairs that you can take down to the pool instead of going out the front door and around. The stairs only lead to the rooms on the second floor. The third level has small balconies and some have walk-out balconies and then the fourth floor has small balconies like the second floor. These floors are only accessible via the elevator on the front side – opposite side of the marina. The grounds are spotless! You see someone sweeping all the time but I’m not sure what they are sweeping it’s so clean and well maintained!!

We had a 2 bedroom unit that had a king bedroom with a full bathroom that attached to the living room, kitchen/dining area that connected to the 2nd bedroom which was 2 queens, a small sitting area, a kitchen and full bathroom. The living room had a full size sofa sleeper that our son slept on and said was comfortable. The resort had typical resort furniture with firm mattresses on each bed. They even changed our king mattress while we were there to a brand new pillow-top mattress but not due to any complaints by us.  The kitchen had all kinds of pots, pans, glasses, plates, utensils, toaster, coffee pot, coffee etc. that you would need to cook a meal and they also provided a full bottle of dish soap. Sara cleaned our room every day and it smelled fresh and clean afterwards. We came inside a couple of times while she was mopping the floors – she was awesome. We also had turn down service each night and they left Hershey Kisses on the beds for the kids.

The accommodations were good – not great - I would have liked something a little nicer but they worked for the price. If you look closely at the walls, ceilings, furniture, floor tile etc. – you’d probably rate this a 3 star. Probably comparable to a Hilton Garden Inn, a Four Points Sheraton, a Marriott Residence Inn – something along that line. It’s not a JW Marriott, Westin, the W, a Ritz or the Four Seasons. Keep that in mind and you’ll be just fine.

They have bottled water in the rooms with tags on them indicating they will charge you $1.00 per bottle if you use them. My suggestion is to take the bottled water(s) they offer you at check-in as well as any bottled water you get at the pools or at dinner if you have the AI program. Then it doesn’t cost you anything additional. The bottles in the room are NOT part of the AI program which makes no sense.

There are 2 pools at this resort – 1 heated and 1 not. The heated pool is right outside the 2nd, 3rd and 4th buildings. The other pool is down at the end of the resort, not heated but is 9 feet deep in some areas because you can jump off the cave. There is also a very large hot-tub down by the bigger pool and has the Iguana Snack Bar. The smaller pool has a swim-up bar and the Calypso Snack Bar. We spent all of our time at the heated pool because the water temp was perfect! There are about 12 cabanas around this pool and they are first-come first serve. If they’re all taken when you get there, the pool attendants will put up a large umbrella for you if you ask. Plenty of chairs and because it wasn’t too busy during Christmas, they didn’t fill up until 10:00 or 11:00 am. Miguel and Jorge were our servers for the week – they were always checking in on us and took good care of our needs. They also have daily activities such as darts, ping pong, water aerobics, water-balloon toss with the Senor Frog ladies and bingo.

On our first full day around the pool, we ordered lunch from the Calypso snack bar and was not impressed at all. Quite honestly I thought, if this is what we’re getting with the AI package, we’ll be eating outside the resort A LOT. Chicken wings, BLT, Quesadilla’s and taco’s – should have been better that this! But for whatever reason the rest of the week was significantly better. We did notice that someone else was cooking the rest of the week – not the same person as Sunday – so maybe that was the difference.

We had most of our meals at La Marina restaurant at the resort and the food was very tasty. Breakfast was your typical menu – pancakes, waffles, hash browns, cereal, fresh cut fruit, omelets made to order, taco’s and a bunch of ethnic choices including menudo (hubby’s favorite). They had a different “theme” night for dinner each night but most of the time we ordered off the menu. Almost every night we asked to be in Jose Luis’ section as he took excellent care of us. He gave us great recommendations, had a great sense of humor and was very attentive. THIS Jose Luis only works the dinner shift, has a receding hairline and wore glasses. He’s an EXCELLENT server.

I want to mention that our 22 year-old daughter was very sick Sunday night – about 3 to 4 hours after dinner – grilled chicken breast, rice and vegetables – she was sick.  By morning she felt better but didn’t join the rest of us by the pool till that afternoon. Needless to say, nobody else ordered the chicken breast the rest of the trip.

We took an “open-air” taxi over to a brand new Wal-Mart on the first day to get a few items for the room. We were told that the Wal-Mart had only been open for about 10 prior to our arrival. You should be able to find whatever you need there. It should only cost 50 to 60 pesos for the taxi over there – one-way.

We did venture out to the El Cid Moro Tower and the El Cid Castilla property and was not impressed. All of the pool chairs were taken by 10:00 am, tons of kids running around and the beach chairs were practically on-top of each other. You couldn’t stand between the chairs they were that close. Very small, constricted and not hospitable to us – in our opinion. At the El Cid Marina, you needed to take a 2 minute ferry ride over to get to their beach. It was small but clean and quiet. You could move the chairs around wherever you wanted, there were plenty of palapas and they even had staff over there for towels and food service. There are a few little shops around the resort – coffee shop, small grocery store, Marina/Harbor Master, Huana-Coa Adventures, laundry facilities etc. We did use the laundry facilities to wash a few things. You can purchase the laundry coins from the Harbor Master (next door) to do your own laundry – 30 pesos to wash and 30 pesos to dry. If you have the lady inside do your laundry she charges 80 pesos to wash, dry, fold and have ready for you to pick-up.

We went out on Christmas day to Twisted Mama’s for dinner and found that they were only serving a traditional Christmas dinner – all you can eat turkey, ham, dressing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, corn, cranberries, salad and dessert. We did not have reservations but Fidel found us a table. He was attentive, funny, engaging and we had a wonderful dinner. We also met the owner “Cindy” as she stopped by our table to make sure everything was ok. Great home-cooked comfort food. If you tire of the ethnic food, this is a great place to go.

We also went to Pancho’s for dinner one night and the food was AWESOME. If we didn’t have the AI program we definitely would have eaten here several times during our stay. Our son said Pancho’s would be the only reason he ever came back to Mazatlan! Service was spot-on, the restaurant was very clean, friendly, busy, and the food was excellent. They gave you chips and salsa to start, fresh jalapeno poppers (large ones) and then made another fresh salsa table-side to your desired spiciness (hot). After the awesome dinner nobody had room for dessert but Florentino (our server) brought the kids a scoop of vanilla ice-cream and a small Kahlua and Cream for my husband and I. It was the best dinner of the trip and reasonably priced. This is DEFINITELY a place to visit when in Mazatlan.

In closing, if you do decide to go to Mazatlan and stay at an El Cid property, my suggestion would be to stay at the Marina location. It’s the only location with a heated pool and has a laid back atmosphere.

Room Tip: Rooms in the building closest to the restaurant were perfect.
9  Thank Cheaky44
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Thank you for writing such a detailed description on your recent stay. It is unfortunate you had a few inconveniences along the way. However I am glad that you also found something’s in our hotel that you were found of. We work really hard in trying to make our resort the best it can be but there is always room for improvement so comments are always welcome. I am glad you had a chance to visit our other hotels. Yes El Cid Marina is known for its laid back and tranquil atmosphere as you previously mentioned castilla is a bit more lively this is because the beach is located along side our hotel which makes this hotel a more kid friendly hotel . Here at el cid we have many things to offer and we always to try and have an option for everyone likes. It’s great to know that you were able to spend your Christmas here with us and that you were able to enjoy your dinner we are happy to have made your holidays memorable. I would like to touch on a subject just to clarify the issue regarding the water bottles in your room. The water bottles in your room have a charge this is because it is for a foundation we have here in our hotel all the proceeds go to a charity. I am sorry to hear that your daughter was sick but glad she quickly recovered this really concerns me due to the fact that we hardly ever have an incident like this occur we always take the proper precaution with all our food and beverages for it’s our guest health and safety is most important to us. I hope in a near future you will consider our hotel once again and see our hard efforts in providing the best service and insulations as possible.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

This is a lovely, well kept, peaceful resort. Lots of fun around the very well kept main pool. The yachts on the marina dock give a small sea port feel to the place. The private beach across the harbor is well kept with good food and beverage service. The rooms have been updated. Most of the rooms have adjoining doors that are not well sound proofed. This can be a problem if you have noisy neighbors that like to stay up and party all night. The staff is very helpful. Free transportation from the airport is a big plus.

Room Tip: The studios at the ends of the buildings have larger outdoor seating areas.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Packers-forever
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear:Packers-f, etc.

Many thanks for taking time and effort to share your wonderful experiences to the readers of the Trip Advisor.

We are very glad to read about your kind review and charming words about the facilities, private beach, rooms to know that you enjoyed the food and beverage service, etc. Each guest comment is without a doubt an opportunity to all the team members, as this will tremendously help us in continuously and consistently improve on our services.
Once again, thank you so much for your confidence in our service and providing us with such constructive remarks about to the doors aren’t sound proofed, we take a note on this for make an improvements

Once again thank you for choosing El Cid Marina Beach Hotel as your holiday destination in Mazatlan. I am sure you will become our frequent guest and will all be more than happy to welcome you back soon!

Isaías Gomez