“Great stay - nice resort”

El Cid Marina Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We spent 10 days at the El Cid Marina Beach Hotel and had a nice, relaxing vacation. When I go to a new resort, I appreciate learning all the helpful hints from travelers who have preceded me, so I will offer some! We pre-arranged a roundtrip shuttle trip to and from the resort which is what I would advise. Cost is minimal (go through Mazatlantours.org). You'll avoid the time-share "free ride" offers. Checking in, we asked for oceanview room. The room was very nice (they all are) but we did get the poolview/marina view room. We opted for European Plan (not all inclusive). This is a better choice for us because we have found most resorts' restaurant foods are very bland and the drinks lacking alcohol. This resort was also that way. The room was lovely, A/C worked WELL, nice small kitchen area with all the basic amenities (except no pitcher to make iced tea!). Bed was comfy. Secure safe, clothesline in shower, small terrace with chairs, two sink vanity areas, 2 TV's. Had a couple things wrong (travelers usually do) like one TV that didn't work, one morning water was shut off, one day had a leak from ceiling but maintenance people were very quick to fully repair! You can take small golf cart taxi anywhere that is too far to walk. The free shuttle runs constantly as well and will take you to all the other El Cid properties so you can walk from there too. We took taxi to MEGA store which is large grocery store. (Beware all "supermarkets" you will see including at the resort are like quick shops...good for soda and chips type items only). We bought breakfast and lunch food, fruit, liquor, snacks for about $95 and lasted us for over a week. A couple times we ate breakfast or dinner at the resort but mostly ate our food and then went off-site to restaurants for all other meals. Some good finds: Social Café had great small plates pork tacos; La Costa Marina restaurant is beachside and had a great shrimp platter! Chili Pepper's had good shrimp and chips and cold Pacifico Light. Valentino's was beautiful and offered the prettiest view on a hot afternoon while drinking cold beer. The pools both have snacks and sandwiches as does the beach bar. However, besides the cheeseburger (which my husband liked), the food was nothing to write about. The beach is accessible by water taxi which runs continuously just across the harbor. It is PERFECT!! We spent a lot of time there. Great waves, shaded beach chairs, A/C bathrooms, parasailing, drink service. Beach vendors were few and really very polite. We bought beautiful turquoise silver jewelry from Mario! We took a zip-line/tequila tasting tour and it was a BLAST. They feed you a traditional lunch in a small village which was delicious. However, if you are a germaphobe...don't eat :) We went on full day fishing trip and got a beautiful sailfish! Hubby also took an El Salto bass fish trip and caught several "hogs" as he put it. Walked along the Malecon and bought a few cheesy souveniers. Service staff at the hotel was EXCEPTIONAL. Everyone was happy, helpful, kind and most knew English. Exchange your American dollars with Peso's right away. You'll get a better deal on everything and the locals appreciate it. Don't forget to tip. We brought several one's to do that. Service is better and less expensive than in the US so tipping is really a pleasure. Hint: bring your own shampoo, lotion, shower gel. We relied on the hotel soaps and really didn't enjoy the scent! Pack light and rinse clothes out with Woolite. You'll sweat through everything but this was easier than packing too much. We spend a lot of time in bathing suits! Fun water aerobics at the pool, other activities too that we did not participate in. We were there early-mid August so local school was still out. That equates to LOTS of kids. But all well-behaved and we just went to the beach instead which is very private. Wi-Fi was not free. $30 for a week and it was hit and miss but at least offers a way to check in with email if you need to. I'll attach photos...all in all a lovely trip. Thank you El Cid Marina!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JJKaip
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear JJkaip,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to write this review. We appreciate your detailed description letting us know about your recent trip and also in letting us acknowledge which areas need some improvement. I am pleased to hear that you found our installations to be to your satisfaction as far as the room, and facilities we offer, not to mention that you also had a chance to visit our other resorts while using our free shuttle service. I apologize for the minor inconveniences you encountered with the T.V and Water I can assure you that this was further looked in to see what the problem was, I am glad that it was able to be fixed quick and efficiently. Mazatlan has much to offer it has the most amazing scenery and culture; it’s so nice to hear that you were able to go out and see what Mazatlan is made of. I hope that you come visit us again soon!

Best wishes,

General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,495)

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Just returned from our second trip to El Cid Marina. Spent a week there and had a fantastic time. The service is wonderful, (Abraham and Walter at the pool bar. Remy is a great bartender) In the restaurant, Miguel is personable and offers great customer service. We had our children (19 and 21 ) with us and they had a great time as well. We had a minor issue in our room and maintenance personnel was there to correct the problem within minutes.
Be aware there is technically no beach directly in front of the hotel - a short shuttle takes you to a "private beach" which has a bar facilities and food service. Beach is a little steep so the waves can be tough.
You can take the hotel shuttle to either of the other hotels for the full beach experience or use any of their pools.
Given the chance to go back and enjoy another week at the hotel I would jump at the chance.
Would I recommend the Hotel to family and friends - absolutely.

Room Tip: Ground level rooms have quick access to the pool. Upper floors offer better views of the marina and...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Bill M
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Bill M,

Thank you for taking the time in writing this review and allow us to know how you recent stay went. Just from writing the title I was already so excited to begin reading your comment. I am glad to hear that you decided to visit us again. Abraham, Walter, And Remy well be congratulated on their hard efforts. I apologize that you had some setbacks with your room along the way but I am glad that it was able to be resolved quick and efficiently, thank you for not letting it affect your outlook on our hotel. We hope you become a frequent guest and keep coming back for years and years to come.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Husband, two kids (ages 9 & 11) and I had a fabulous vacation in March. Staff were accommodating and kind. There was a problem with our room and Luis addressed it the same day. The all inclusive plan is the way to eat. The food was good-my son still talks about the coconut shrimp & non-alcoholic daiquiris. The beach was quiet with few solicitors. Kids loved riding the water taxi to the beach. Enough activities that the kids were not bored. Felt safe enough to let them walk back to the room from the restaurant without us. Went to the City Aquarium- we all enjoyed it! Would definitely plan another trip to El CID-marina

Room Tip: Had a room directly in back of the smaller pool. Concerned that there would be too much noise at ni...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank PickyMomMid_MO
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear pickyMomMid_Mo

As always, thank you for your time and review which we really appreciate. We are delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay with us at El Cid Marina Hotel, and especially that our staff went beyond your expectations.
As El Cid Resort´s promises, we hope every guest feel refreshed and replenished after their journey with us.

Unwind with us another time. We expect to you come back soon.

Kind regards,

General Manager.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

The staff was very friendly and helpful.. We had a blast on karaoke night. Very nice rooms we had a huge two bedroom on the 4th floor absolutely no noise at all, nice pools, no where near as crowded as the other El Cids in Mazatlan. We had a great time.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jim T

Dear Jim T

I would like to thank you for your wonderful comments with regards to your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure to note how much you enjoyed your vacation. We appreciate all feedback; but, especially enjoy reading about the great experiences we help make in Mazatlan. We will pass along your wonderful experience to our employees as a job well done.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Upon arriving at the El Cid, we were greeted by Carmen, one of the timeshare receptionists. She was kind and helpful and just a beautiful person to get to know. We did attend a sales breakfast and thought the salespeople were arrogant and rude. Also, be aware you are not in the USA and it is likely the salespeople at the corner table are listening in to your conversations when the salesman is gone. We may test this out on another trip.

Mazatlan itself was a refreshing change from some of the mega resort cities such as Cancun. The pace was slower and it felt like we were back in old Mexico again. While the beaches may not rival those in the Caribbean, the people certainly do.

As for entertainment, SKIP the CITY TOUR which is offered as part of your time share breakfast. It is sponsored by several jewelry stores and we felt as if we were being held hostage to give us an opportunity to pay ransom by buying something. This feeling only increased when the bus stopped at a restaurant on the way back for us to eat lunch at our own expense. I am sure there were some kickbacks involved here. We ended up walking away from the restaurant and made our own way back to the hotel.

We did take the Zip Line tour and enjoyed the trip, even if the scenery leaves a little to be desired. Jonathon and the other guides were a lot of fun. The Tequila Factory Tour was also very interesting.

We did the all-inclusive meal plan and the food was excellent. We took the shuttle up to the other El Cid hotels to try their restaurants also. Our favorite meals were those on the veranda at the Marina Restaurant with the sun setting. We went there for a relaxing meal on our last night and were surprised to find the karaoke from the bar below had been moved outside and definitely ruined the ambiance we desired for our last night.

Be sure to try the local coconut ice cream. It is some of the best I have ever tasted.

Room Tip: When checking in ask for a room in Building A, if it is available, for the best views.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ART G
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My wife and her family have had a time share down at the El Cid for twenty five years or so, and this past trip down to The Marina was mine and my wife's first time going with her family. It was an amazing experience from the time we arrived, to the service provided poolside, to the restaurants and even our maid Olivia was the sweetest and most hard working person we met!!She is very caring and extremely energetic with a heart of Gold!! WE love you Olivia!! I highly recommend traveling here for a vacation destination!! One of the safest and best places i have visited in a long time. Want to have a great experience? Then El Cid Marina Beach Hotel is the place to head on down to!! A++++

Room Tip: Highly Recommend the rooms down at the end of the Marina over looking the beach and pool area. The c...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank eric b
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear eric b,

Thank you so very much for posting your comments to trip advisor, our commitment is to guarantee a hassle free stay to our guests and promote the unique culture of the beautiful port of Mazatlan, while offering the unique service that earn our reputation, thank you so very much for your honest and valuable comments. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and every aspect of the hotel.

If there is anything else we can do to make your time with us more comfortable, please do not hesitate to let me or any member of our team let us know!

My best,

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed at the Marina Beach Hotel for 1 week, and had a wonderful time. Carmen one of the Ladies from the timeshare sales was extremely helpful even when she knew my husband and I would not purchase, she helped us out when my luggage did not arrive and when we wanted to go to different tours.
Rogelio was an absolute angel. He helped us locate a different room, he was apologetic that it was smaller then what we booked but the view was unbelievable. We stayed in building A in Unit 706 and it was wonderful. Rogelio also helped us make reservations at Pedro and Lola's for dinner. I would recommend going to this restaurant on a Saturday night when the square has a lot going on.
The staff itself was very helpful we loved Ramon and Jorge by the pool, the service was great.
This resort is so much quieter and in my opinion nicer then El Cid Moro. It isn't as big so it wasn't as busy. This way we received fantastic service from the staff.
The rooms are kept clean, the maid service would even go back to our room late in the afternoon and replace towels for us when we took late showers to go out to dinner.
With being at the Marina if you wanted to take a boat tour you were right there.
we met Umberto who was one of the taxi drivers, he speaks English and will be happy to take you where ever you want to go. He drove us to the Lighthouse and then came back in the evening and picked us up. One day he took us around for the day sightseeing. The cost was less then us taking a tour. I will update with Umberto's number at a later time for anyone who would like it.
The only downside I would say was spending the extra money on the upgrade to the all inclusive. I would recommend the all inclusive but if you are not going to be eating Steak and Shrimp every day in their restaurant it was not worth it. The other disappointment was every time you wanted to make reservations at El Cid Moro you would be told there was no availability. My husband and I would go there and we would be able to get a table.
If you have the chance to go to El Cid Marina and would like to be away from the hustle and bustle but just a shuttle ride away please do you will enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Room 706 in building A is as far away from the lobby as you can get it is a little bit of a walk, or...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mommagga
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear Mommagga,

Thank you for taking the time in writing this review, I am so glad to hear you had such an enjoyable stay. Yes EL Cid Marina is known to be a more tranquil environment. It´s great to hear that my staff was able to provide to you exceptional service Carmen, Rogelio, Ramon, Jorge and the rest of the staff mentioned will be getting the recognition they deserve , I’m proud to have them as a part of our team. It great you had a chance to visit our sister resorts and you enjoyed them as well . We hope you visit us again soon.

Kind Regards,