“An enjoyable day on the links”

Estrella Del Mar Golf Course
More attraction details
Owner description: 18-hole championship golf course built in 1996, and designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr. The course layout is adjacent to the ocean where six of the holes and fairways are situated right off the beach. Tropical landscaping, clusters of palm trees lining the fairways, strategically placed bunkers, impeccably manicured greens and spectacular views. Estrella Del Mar hosted the 2011 Mexican PGA Championship for the first time May 5-8, just one of only two events held in Mexico on the Canadian Tour's 2011 schedule.
Edmonton, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An enjoyable day on the links”
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Front 9 greens were so-so. Back 9 greens were great and the overall condition was very good. A little pricey for mexico.

Visited March 2013

Edmonton, AB
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Great golf”
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Beautiful golf course along the ocean. Booked right at the hotel Riu Emerald Bay in the lobby through Arlene. She booked tee times and arranged transportation.

Visited February 2013
Lethbridge, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“meal after golf”
Reviewed 15 February 2013

our meal was ok but we only had a club house and glacumole and dip. At another table the deep friend shrimp looked excellent.

Visited February 2013
Toronto, Ontario
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Poor..”
Reviewed 1 February 2013

Expensive, I paid 90 bucks for my own cart and round and I ended up sharing it with someone else..The grounds are average, a lot of people living around the golf course (retired americans)..six holes face the ocean.. (windy)..prepare to loose balls in tall grass ?? weird type of grass that swallows your ball..(LOL)

Visited January 2013
NeilCarben, Internet Marketing Assistant at Estrella Del Mar Golf Course, responded to this review, 16 March 2013
Dear Micojoia,

I want to thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit to Estrella del Mar, and I’m sorry you didn’t have a more enjoyable experience. I have passed on your comments to Kim Anders, Director of Golf for Estrella Del Mar and he has responded as follows:

"Thank you for taking the time to give us your views. It appears to me you were staying at one of the several hotels in Mazatlan we work with which enabled you to play at a reduced rate of $75 US plus $15 for the round trip shuttle service. As with most golf courses, including the many I have played in Canada, the cost of golf and the golf car is on the basis that the golf car is shared unless you have an odd number of people in your group.

Unfortunately you played right after we had been through a 10 day stretch of unusual cold, windy, cloudy weather which caused our warm weather Bermuda Grass to stop growing, and in fact it started going dormant, our tropical plants lost their flowers, and in general Mother Nature did not allow us to make our best presentation. Hopefully your next trip will be during more “normal” weather conditions and the grounds will be more up to both of our standards.

I’m glad you noticed our 6 holes playing towards the ocean and prevailing wind – a real challenge for those not accustomed to playing a seaside course like we have with parts . We also have 6 holes right on the ocean – a feature that has brought many accolades from international golf writers over the years.

I notice you are from Canada and thought you might be interested to know that yes we do have many retired Americans who own property at Estrella del Mar, but our Canadian ownership holds a narrow majority over the Americans at this point. This balance makes for some great Canada vs US golf matches, bar-b-que cook offs, and the weekly remote controlled car and boat races. We are a competitive international community.

As for some of the long grass around the lakes – yes, it is a real ball eater. We are currently working towards certification with Audubon International as a Certified Cooperative Sanctuary, and it is at their recommendation that these areas around the lakes and water features here are allowed to grow longer in order to encourage more wildlife to the area as part of the program. It is great for the wildlife but very tough on the scorecard.

I hope you enjoyed your visit to Mazatlan and went home tan, rested, and full of fresh seafood! Please let me know the next time you are coming to our resort – I’ll buy you your first “local beverage” on the patio while we watch the dolphins cruise by!"

Kim Anders
Director of Golf
Estrella Del Mar
Chestermere, Alberta
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Beautiful golf course.”
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I went to Mazatlan back in Febuary with two golfing buddies and my family. We stayed at the El Cid Marina beach resort and it came with free golf. However, after a few days at the El Cid golf course, we got bored and decided to play at Estrella Del Mar. We glad that we played Estrella Del Mar. The course was beautiful with 6 holes along the Ocean. I like the course so much that I have 8 more friends joinning for a trip back to Mazatlan in another two weeks. We have tee times booked for Sunday Nov 25, and Tuesday Nov 27. Can't wait to play at Estrella Del Mar again.

Visited February 2012