“My Home Away From Home”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Belmar

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mazatlan
Hotel Belmar
Ranked #57 of 81 Hotels in Mazatlan
Inuvik, NWT
“My Home Away From Home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2006

I first went to Mazatlan about 8 years ago and was told to check out La Siesta for nice, affordable rooms. La Siesta was full, so on the advice of the desk clerk, I trundled down a couple blocks to the Belmar.
It's not the Ritz, by any means, but it has a some elegant features and a staff that treat me like family.
One year my dad was with me and fell ill after a day of marlin fishing. Joseph, the hotel's manager loaded my dad and I into his truck and took us to the Military Hospital. Joseph translated to the nurse and made arrangements for my dad to see a doctor. After a bit of a wait and some hilarity between the sweet nursing staff and my dad, the doctor arrived and without going into too much detail, all was soon well. The bill totalled about $32 US. (I tried to tip the nurse but she refused, so I took them a dozen white roses the next day.)
Last year I lost my bank card and the Senora at the Belmar's front desk made about 10 calls and located the card for me.
These are simple things when you're in your hometown, but when you're 1,000s of miles away and don't speak the language, they are very unsettling events. People like they have at the Belmar mean the world to travellers.
I first stayed at the Belmar because of the price and beautiful location, but I go back every year because it's like home to me now.

• Liked — Staff and location
  • Disliked — Old fixtures, the shower take 10 minutes to heat up sometimes
  • Tips/Secrets — If you want Mexico stay at the Belmar. If you want an American resort go to the Golden Zone.
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank tkhalifax

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Orofino
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2005

I just returned from Mazatlan, and althought I stayed a block away at the La Siesta, I visited the Belmar Hotel. The valley view room overlooks downtown, while the front rooms are Pacific view. Both rooms were very clean, comfortable and secure and included a couple of cable TV stations. Although it's old it is in fairly good repair. Contrary to a review I read prior to traveling, the swimming pool was crystal clear and perfectly maintained. The rooms were about 7 or 8 bucks cheaper than other hotels in the area. I would have gladly moved over to the Belmar to stay, but I enjoyed the La Siesta so much I remained there for two weeks. Great beaches, great people, no problems.

22 Thank jake10
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2005

We had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel Bel Mar last November and once again enjoyed our inexpensive ocean view room. Having stayed at this hotel many times since 1988 we have found the staff to be professional and courteous, from the management through the maintenance staff. They are always willing to help with any problem from arranging air, ferry or day trips around the area to instructing you which bus to take to the grocery store. We know that this hotel is not for everyone and that is certainly part of its charm. If I wanted to stay with "gringos" I would just stay home or go to the north end of town. There is also a library around the corner just go south and at the bank turn left. A half a block and you're there. If you are fortunate there is an ongoing cribbage game which is open to all. We always enjoy our time in Mazatlan and leave with a desire to stay much longer. The Hotel Bel Mar while not for everyone is a glimpse of "old Mazatlan".

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2005

I have made half a dozen trips to Mazatlan over the past few years. I was fortunate to stumble on this fine, old hotel that features bargain rates and a Great location! Take an interior room for about $20 a nite; or "splurge" and get a room facing the beach with your own private balcony for $5 dollars more, and be lulled to sleep by the gentle sound of waves rolling onto the beach. The staff is extraordinarily friendly; the rooms are clean, large and comfortable. I love to walk around this area, which has a true Old Mexico flavor. English is spoken here, but if you have a little spanish vocabulary, you will enjoy the experience that much more. Don't miss visiting the large Cathedral a few blocks away; or the large Farmer's Market that has virtually everything for sale. If you like is fine dining, the immediate area has Dozens of quality resturants to chose from. If you like the fine arts, there is a fine theater within easy walking distance that features some of Mexico's finest artists! Who needs the inflated prices of the "Zona Dorado?" Come here and be prepared to relax and have a true "Mexican Experience!"

27 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2004

While living in Texas a couple of friends and myself rode our motorcycles to Mazatlan in the spring of 2003 and 2004. Both times we stayed at the Belmar. Not only were we allowed to park our bikes inside and behind locked doors at night, but they were watched 24/7 while we were there. The rooms were clean and neat. The downstairs bar had cold beer and warm whiskey. What more could you ask for. The prices were cheap and fair. As long as you dont expect room service or anything likie that you cant beat it for the price. I would highly recommend staying there to anyone that wants good treatment and fair prices. If John Wayne could stay there back in the 50's and 60's I can stay there now.

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2004

Our family stayed at the Hotel Bel Mar in February, and had a wonderful time staying there. The Staff were wonderful to us and the Hotel had such a charm and warm atmosphere. We would most surely stay there once again. Thanks for the memories.

12 Thank Twitchella54
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2004

We stayed at the Hotel Hacienda in Mazatlan for two weeks in March of 2001. The hotel itself was clean (no bugs). The food at the restaurant was average and included. Some staff members were very solicitous.
Others were unable to bridge the communication gap my feeble Spanish created. The hotel is across a busy road from the beach and not on the beach. The pool is behind the hotel and is relatively unused. Every room has a lovely ocean view and at that time each had a kitchenette and purified water delivered daily. As stated in the other review, the hotel principally is a Mexican tourist destination. The bonus is that you are close to the centre marcado and that you miss the noise and commercialism of the hotel zone (which you can walk easily to or take an inexpensive pulmonaria). The downside is that the economy often ensures that Mexican families take vacations in large groups and stay in hotels in that manner. As a result, the hotel is often boisterous and noisy when attended near or on Mexican holidays. The bar below plays until two or three in the morning (be sure not to stay above it).The beach out front is much prettier than that in the golden zone and is relatively unoccupied. You can walk to the hotel zone via the beach and it is a lovely hike. There is some body surfing here by Mexicans and it is amazing to watch. You can also walk to the old market from the hotel. There is a mall about five minutes away by taxi.I do note that one American group of teenagers / college students reported that two passports went missing from their room. I also note that there is little in the way of fine dining at this end of town in the evening - you may want to spend your money on cabs to eat out.
There was no air conditioning at that time but (and I am a hot bodied person) we didn't need it. THe beds were very hard, but we had the best sleeps of our lives there.I would stay here again if I was on an extended stay or a budget. It is clean, safe and welcoming. For luxury, comfort or to spoil yourself, I would look elsewhere (unless markedly updated since my trip).

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member