“beautiful resort”

Torres Mazatlan Resort
Reviewed 21 February 2013

we spent 5 days/4 nights at this resort, on the 4th floor in tower D, and it was wonderful..the staff was especially friendly, the buildings and grounds clean, and the area beautiful...we had a one bedroom, but chose to sleep on the pull down murphy bed which was fine...then we could listen to the waves with the sliding doors open all night...all tiled and spacious...the double pool was nice and warm with a slide, and an occasional volleyball net...a jacuzzi nestled in the foliage is relaxing...the plants are gorgeous, and there are many activities everyday....the 2/day happy hr, one evening had a thank-you evening with free tecate, margaritas, and dacquires, aling with a mariachi band....the la palapa restaurant had some fine fresh seafood...we ate there everyday...one day we bought fresh shrimp from a man right on the beach in front, and made a huge salad....the hospitality is amazing and both guests and staff very friendly...we walked down the beach many times, and to the marina...it's easy to take a bus or taxi to old town or the seawall....we loved it here!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Teresa M

Reviewed 21 February 2013

Six of us came to Torres Mazatlan upon the reprsentations that our rooms would have WiFi...we could take a week away only if we could stay in touch once or twice a day. But no wifi in the rooms. Extremely weak signal, with frequent drops. After trying different areas like the balcony, standing by windows, standing outside our room, we could not get a decent signal or stay connected. Finally, literally sat outside the general managers office and we could get this signal..two bars, but more consistent. It is a shame management would advertise WiFi in the rooms when there really is not. We would have chosen another place to stay.

Grounds are nice, staff is friendly and you can drink the water. But if Wifi is important to you, you should look elsewhere.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Tweester
Reviewed 18 February 2013

My wife and I spent Valentine's Week at Torres. What a change from the February weather at home in Oregon! We loved seeing the iguanas around the pool basking in the sunshine -- we did some basking of our own.

Their La Palapa restaurant served some delicious food at a pretty good value for being right on the beach. I'm a vegetarian and even with that limit, I had lots of variety of food; my wife and our friends enjoyed a wider variety of their food. We enjoyed the musical entertainers, including Mundo Sanchez, Sergio Avila, and Rafael Rodriquez. [We bought a CD from each of these performers]. Our friends ordered an Irish Coffee one evening. The preparation of the drink was entertainment of its own -- liquid fire! My wife particularly enjoyed their fruit/yogurt/granola parfait, having that two different times in the course of the week.

We had a fourth story room and could see the beach and the pool from our balcony. The staff was very friendly. I got to the point of saying Hola! to almost everybody! :-)

The only ding that I'd give the resort is that the bed sheets weren't quite the right size for the mattress, so they'd slip off.

Joy and I are already looking forward to another trip south of the border!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank rickh57
JABoughton, Director Inventory Management at Torres Mazatlan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2013

Thank you for your kind words and review. Our La Palapa Restaurant is a gem we are very proud of. We hope to have you stay with us again soon..

Reviewed 24 January 2013

Relaxing, extremely friendly, clean - but with a few bugs... this is the tropics.

As a general statement they try to get to know you by face / name. Your picture is taken when you get there and is placed in the employees meeting area. It make you feel good when they tend to know who you are.

I agree with some of the reviews - the beds are on the harder side; but then I'm sure the same complaint would be seen if they were too soft, no they don't have sleep-number beds.

The restaurant and waiters are great - they cooked some shrimp someone gave us for free plus they threw in chips/salsa.

Sitting under the palapas watching the waves is so very relaxing - gives you time to think...or not. We are already planning another trip.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Williejim07
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Had such a wonderful time there this past summer with family that I decided to get away for a week in December (Dec. 15-22). Less crowded, but still the same friendly staff and clean rooms and grounds! Met by Gabby and Betty after checking in to be sure all was in order and room, etc., were OK. I had a one bedrm. in Bldg "D" on the second floor with a nice view of the pool and ocean. Room was very clean and everything worked well.
The Palapa bar/restaurant were again very good with the food and drinks (two happy hours per day) very good. Since my last visit they have corrected the one inch of added wine to the glass by giving a FULL glass of wine during happy hour, very nice to see they pay attention to guest's comments! Richard and Juan were very gracious and helpful especially.
I did go to Playa Bruja several times and took the bus - very easy and did walk back several times - still good food and prices, but 24 hr. happy hour is no longer done. Tried a new, small restaurant called El Rancho just a 3 minute walk from Torres. Is on the 2nd floor overlooking the beach - good food and moderate prices.
several guests that were there last summer were also back again and was nice to see and visit with them.
This resort allows beach vendors on their property and they are so nice and not pushy at all. The fresh fish, shrimp and fruit are my favorites.
I'm already hoping for good health and the opportunity to visit again!

Room Tip: Third floor or higher gives a better view over the trees and Bldg. A is right on the beach!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank Funlv1
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Torres Mzt is operated/owned by Vacation International and is a timeshare property. It is located in the northern section of Mzt, actually it is located in Cerritos, MX. We exchanged into the property for a one bedroom unit. They have 4 towers, A, B, C, & D. We were in room C504, one level below the penthouse with an oceanview. Very large unit with a kingsize bed. Sofa in living room will sleep 2 and there is an additional pull down bed. 4 adults and 2 kids would work fine. Fully equipted kitchen and a TV with 4 English speaking channels. Beautiful pool and restaurant area. Food was good and service was great.

Property is a little older and showing some wear. On the last day there was some construction noise from above, but only between 9 am - 4pm. There were organized activities everyday. Also a small store on property with reasonable prices for a resort type of store. There is also a small market about 2 blocks south that you can walk to.

We would certainly stay there again. One thing of note, if you want your unit cleaned or bed linens changed more often than once a week, there is an additional charge.

Room Tip: Ask for tower "C". There is an elevator in each tower.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mackey77
Reviewed 6 November 2012

First, I'd like to say that my guests and I thoroughly enjoyed our time at Torres Mazatlan, and would go there again.

Pros: People, people, people. I can't say enough good things about the staff. Security, Front Desk, Restaurant, and Bell were all so friendly and helpful! I've never been anywhere and experienced such warmth. I agree with the reviews that the location felt safe. It's away from the main area of town, but only a quick pulmonia or taxi ride away. We rented a car, and it was a piece of cake getting anywhere we wanted, but that's another story.

Cons: Internet was expensive ($5/day) and unreliable. I ended up buying a prepaid Telcel (cellular) USB stick, which I used for the remainder of my trip. There are no in-room washer or dryer, and the shared laundry is expensive (25 pesos to wash, 25 pesos to dry, or about $4 USD per load) And since the dryers only worked about half the time, this was doubly frustrating. I mention these two things because many of the nicer timeshare-ish resorts I've stayed at have in-room (free) washer and dryer, and free, fast, reliable Internet.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the recently-renovated rooms. Maybe take a walk and see where the construction noise...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends