I've travelled to Mazatlan for the past 3 years. The past 2 times I have stayed at the Azteca Inn (combined as a flight/hotel package with WestJet) and would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to others.
While it is your basic no-frills hotel (no fitness center or spa - hence the 3 star, but I wasn't looking for that sort of thing), it offered up everything I needed.
From initial check in (where I was informed my room was located on the ground floor near the pool - which would mean some noise during the day, but I could switch if I was bothered.. which I wasn't) to check out, I was made to feel very welcome, safe and comfortable; which was important for a young female travelling on her own!
1) The beds - I have heard MANY negative things about the beds in Mexico due to the lack of boxsprings - Azteca has the softest beds I have come across. Very comfortable.
2) Cleanliness - the rooms were ALWAYS spotless. I have found this both stays - it was kept cleaner than a 4 star hotel I stayed at my first year.
3) Location - while this hotel is not located beach front, it is a quick walk across the street to access the beach. It is located close enough that I walked daily to the Mega mart for fresh fruit and muffins for breakfast. It's moments away from the Malecon & bus stops to get downtown. It's in the heart of the GZ. IT's ideal.
4) Air conditioning - perfect! I have stayed at other places where the A/C did virtually nothing - but this was not the case here.
5) The staff. As I said, they went out of their way to ensure I was happy. For example, the maid for my room, Martha, not only did a phenominal job cleaning, she went above and beyond her job by providing me a foam cooler in my room when she saw I was using ice to cool drinks.
6) The pool - also kept VERY clean. Perfect for a cool down after a day of wandering around exploring. The poolside area is also kept very clean and is comfortable.
7) Free wifi! I was able to keep in touch with family back home via FaceTime/the internet
1) The hot tub - While it was always clean, it was certainly not hot :-)
2) The wifi is not reliable. It didn't work well in the room and often dropped.
That is it. I really cannot say enough good things about the place!
While the Azteca is not a fancy 5 star location, it is no-frills but is comfortable, clean and safe. Perfect for the budget traveller. If you are looking for a place to stay that allows you to get out to explore the local life - this is the place for you.
If you are looking for an all inclusive fancy resort or party hotel- this isn't the place for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Azteca Inn Hotel is located right in the center of fun and entertainment, in the Golden Zone (hotel zone). Just a few steps from the beach and surrounded by a wide variety of restaurants, bars, discos, cinemas, supermarket, pharmacies, beauty salon, banks, craft centers and shops, among many other amenities. Room with two double beds and capacity for 4 people. (Including children) It offers amenities including desk, air conditioning, cable TV, Free Wi - Fi, telephone, iron and ironing board, ceiling fan, hair dryer and bathroom with amenities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Azteca Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Azteca Hotel Mazatlan