“Great Relaxing Vacation”

Luna Palace Hotel / Suites
Ranked #15 of 79 Hotels in Mazatlan
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We stayed for 9 days in early February. I was told if I was expecting the "Ritz" I would be disappointed. I was not expecting much. We had a package with U S Air and I was very nervous about the Hotel because it wasn't very expensive after you factored out the airfare. Was I pleasantly surprised. We had a corner room (1002) on the first floor, large patio, and a great ocean view. I had asked for a bottle of wine to be in the room when we arrived (33rd anniversary) and it was waiting for us. The maid had left beads on the bed that said welcome (I think) in Spanish and left a couple of towel animals for us. The pool was large and plenty of seating. With the exception of "George" service was lacking but it wasn't far to get to the bar.

Check in was quick. We had a studio and it had plenty of room for the both of us with a king sized bed that was softer than I have come to expect in Mexico. The refrigerator and coffee maker worked great. Martha, the housekeeper, did a great job of cleaning the room.

I don't think the hotel was very full. We ate at the restaurant twice and the food was good and reasonably priced and the service was good. There is no entertainment and it is a very quiet hotel, which is what we were looking for. There were places within walking distance for excitement.

I would rate this hotel better than average and for the price we paid an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IdahoBob1
There are newer reviews for Luna Palace Hotel / Suites

Reviewed 9 February 2012

I took a solo trip to Mazatlan in Sep. it was an amazing trip. From Phx. to Mtz. and three nights for less than $400.00 the hotel was right on the beach, great location and safe. They have a guard 24 hrs. so I didn't worry much, took walks on the beach and enjoy the pool bar, with a restaurante on the property, rooms with a balcony and ac, fridge, coffe makers(take some filters and your own coffee) otherwise there is a small convenience store walking distance. quiet at night and comfortable bed. If you want to be where there is not a lot of tourist crowd I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: All the rooms have ocean view. for not extra cost.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank noradak
Reviewed 7 February 2012

We stayed for 4 wks in a King Jr. suite at Luna Palace! It happened to be the same room we stayed in 2 yrs ago! They have done renos! There was new kitchen cupboards, furniture, and the tub was replaced with only a shower. We thought that the improvements looked great!
Love the location, within walking distance of lots of good restaurants! The restaurant at Luna Palace has good food but, nobody seems to eat there? All the staff were great, many that have worked there for a long time! Will go back again next time we go to Mazatlan!

2  Thank MeFish
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Stayed in a king studio, huge room overlooking the pool and the beach. we thought we were having a beach front room , it would be on the beach. Later we were told the rooms at the beach are reserved for the owners (timeshare). The only thing about being across the pool is that children can be be very loud and annoying. The rooms # that have is 001 and 002 ending - right on the beach. Do not expect to find someone to help without interest - every single person had some to sell, and it was extremely annoying... The fancy italian restaurant @ pueblo bonito resort had excellent service, but the food was just alright - We had dinner 2 times @ Panchos, once 2 Toni's @ the beach, lunch twice @ Diego's ( my fav.) and also 2 the place acroos from Diegos. We walked all over the old beautiful downtown, had lunch @ Shrimp Bucket. We went to see other resorts in case we decide to use a different one next time. My favorite was El Rancho on Cerritos area - but is too far from the town center . Their timeshare was one time 5000 US fee and then for whichever resort they have woud be 299 a week. No anual fees. The employees @ the hotel were pleasant and helpfull. The wifi gets turned off around 10pm and on @ 8am. Dishes and silverware locked in cabinet - no supplies - bring salt, pepper, sugar, dish soap etc.

Room Tip: rooms on the beach front - 001/002 (like 3001 or 2)
2  Thank carl0s7
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Two great weeks in warm and sunny Mazatlan on the beach in a lovely condo with balcony overlooking beach and pool. Service is tops: personal, efficient, caring. Place is immaculate,grounds are lovely, restaurant fine with ocean view and wifi. No music or water aerobics means a peaceful adult vacation. We're really unhappy about all the negative press Mazatlan is getting for safety. The crime (we never saw any, even walking the streets after dark) is all drug dealers killing off the competition. They leave the tourists alone. I've never felt safer anywhere in the US.

Room Tip: heavy smokers on neighboring balcony. After 2 days of avoiding them, I asked for a different room...
1  Thank pookitaAjijic
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I was very happy with our stay at Luna Palace with one major exception which I will rant about later. First the good news. The beds were super comfortable!!! I have a really hard time sleeping soundly in hotels and I don't know why. These beds were really comfortable and I didn't have as hard as a time as I do in other places. The rooms were nice and included a kitchenette. All the rooms are supposed to have a view of the ocean. The desk staff was nice and we spent just about every evening by the pool watching the sun set over the ocean.

The bad: the ladies at the "tourism desk". These women were atrocious! Long story short: They harrass you into trying to book tours through them. They went as far as to lie to us about attractions near by and literally yelled/scolded us when we showed up wearing stickers from a zipling company that wasn't the one they were promoting. I understand that selling tours is a way that many make a living, but I felt like I was being assaulted every time I came or went from my room, They're positioned right next to the only elevator in the hotel. They even got mad at us for booking all of tours online in advance. When we had a problem with one of our prebooked tours, they refused to let us use their phone and told us that's what we deserve for booking with something else.

Overall, the hotel and room was great with the exception of the rotten "tourist desk".

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank reinoko
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Only good things to say about our annual trip to Mazatlan. The Luna and the Oceano Palace Hotels are sisters. We've stayed at both. Love the Luna for the staff, restaurant, peacefulness, pool, security, view, and location.

Room Tip: Every room has an ocean view, we prefer balconies that also include the pool and restaurant view so...
2  Thank Marsha S