“Good steak”

Il Mosto
Ranked #118 of 401 Restaurants in Mazatlan
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
San Jose, California
“Good steak”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

I followed the other reviewers and ordered the Burro Negro. It is always a joy to find a thick-cut steak in Mexico. It was cooked medium-rare, as ordered. The Greek salad was also tasty. The cabarnet was "Opera", which complemented nicely the juicy steak.

A bit surprised not to get nachos and salsa as a free appetizer, but it wouldn't have gone well with the wine anyway.

Service was efficient since at lunch time we were the only customers.

• Visited May 2013

Edmonton
“Black Burro was a donkey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

Husband and I both tried the house favorite, black burro. A rather large hunk of beef (I think) with a side of fresh veggies and a side of pasta. We both enjoy a steak on the rare side but this burro was still cold and kicking. We had to send them back. Maybe we are spoiled when it comes to beef being that we enjoy Alberta beef but the second time around the meat was tough and hard to swallow. We also noted that 2 other tables sent there burros back to the kitchen. Veggies and pasta were good though. Didn't stay for dessert because I had to go home and wash my hair. Note to self: don't sit under a tree when there are alot of pigeons around!

1 Thank havenboxer
Edmonton, Canada
“Hugely Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

Prior to our visit, I had read Il Mosto's menu online and was really excited about the offerings and was set on going. So we headed down to Plaza Machado and we (or at least I) was not impressed! Before we even ordered we were talking about the Crepes Suzette (which became huge on our list of must haves having had it at La Canoa last year). The waiter immediately told us that they did not have any flambé deserts. OK. So then I looked at the menu and it did not have any of the stuff that really appealed to me online. OK. So I ordered the Crab Soup. The waiter told me to hold on as he didn't think they had any crab. He came back and said that they had enough for one soup. Crikey! I had a feeling they had no crab at all and so didn't know what I was going to get. I ordered that and the Beef Carpaccio. Both disappointed. The soup was as I expected given the comments - lacking crab. The Beef Carpaccio I couldn't even eat - it was gross and not like any other Beef Carpaccio that you would expect. My 15 year old son ate it though so no need to send back. My son ordered the Tronto Chicken and liked it. My husband ordered the much touted Black Burro Steak and while he thought it was good he was expecting a much bigger piece of meat. All in all, for the extra 160 pesos in cab fare from the Golden Zone it really wasn't worth the trip compared to the other great places we've eaten.

Illinois
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

We went to Il Mosto for the Black Burro steak and it was excellent. I had the vegetables and pasta for my sides and both were very good. My husband had the pasta and the sliced potato's and he really enjoyed them. The service was friendly and quick and the prices were good. We choose to sit outside and watch the people on the plaza. Very enjoyable evening. I would highly recommend going to this restaurant.

Douglass, Kansas
“Black burro steak the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

I read the reviews and had to try this place. Ate there last night, the reviews were right on. Excellent service, excellent everything. 5 of us all had the black burro steak and all were great. If you go to mazatlan this is a must place to try.

• Visited March 2013