“Not Quite up to Expectations”

El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
Ranked #7 of 79 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, Ontario
“Not Quite up to Expectations”
Reviewed 18 January 2013

My wife and I (31 and 33 years old) stayed here Jan 1 -15/2013. Cowtownguy's review below sums it up pretty well. We originally booked at El Cid Granada but when they offered an upgrade for 20 us/day to stay at el cid castilla, we took it as the rooms are more updated. Also the room at Castilla was an Ocean/Pool view which was nice. Breakfasts are awesome especilly at "El Patio" restaurant over on the Granada side, Lunch was ok, but the supper buffet was small and disapointing. We ate out for supper most of the second week because of this. It did also seem that a lot of the food did get recycled between lunch and supper. I did get sick from the food one night after eating at the Mexican al a carte restaurant which was not too surprising because of the poor food handling at this and many other resorts. At one supper at the buffet, they used the same meat tongs that they used to put the raw steaks on the grill , too put my cooked steak on my plate. The resort is nice. Most of the pools are heated which is awesome. The beach is great (you can walk for miles) and we felt very safe at the resort and in Mazatlan. One main problem that we had was it was difficult too meet people there as the resort was so large and all of the bars except the lobby one close very early. If you are going to Mazatlan, you have to eat at a restaurant just up the road from the resort called "the BIG FISH" if you like ribs. Two people get a full rack of ribs each, baked potato, coleslaw, and a salad for $180 paso's which is $15 canadian, and they were the best ribs i have ever had. If you like massages, turn right when you are walking out of Castilla resort, 2-3 min down the road you will see a restaurant sign called "MARYS" and it is in there among the buildings. Its across the road from "Inn at Mazatlan". The name is "Myo Massage" and they are amazing. Cost is 25 us for an hour. We also went to a place for 15 us/hour but it is well worth the extra money to go here.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SAMLondon_Ontario

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 17 January 2013

Stayed here first 2 weeks of Dec/2012. Not bad, not great. Had good room location on 9th floor in the middle of the building facing the ocean. I requested and paid for this. Beautiful view and quite enjoyed early AM and late PM sitting out there relaxing. The rooms come with a mini 2 cup coffee maker but the hotel charges for the coffee packs. I went to the store and bought a pack of filters and a can of coffee and drank all I wanted for less cost. The hotel also charges for bottles of water they supply to the rooms so I also bought water at the store and used it in my coffee maker. 4 litre bottle for 10 pesos at the OXO down the street. Large balcony. Hotel is one part of a large complex with the El Moro tower ( more upscale and owners units with some rentals ), the El Cid Granada accross the street, and the Castilla where I stayed. The Granada is joined to ocean properties ( Moro and Castilla ) by an elevated walkway over the main road. All properties have own pools and can use them all except for one private one at Moro ( the Grotto ). The hotel is in the Zona Dorada ( Golden Zone ) next to Senor Frog's bar. The two are actually attached. The area in the Golden Zone is looking rather junky and rundown in parts. Lots of tourist shops but no tourists when I was there. The merchants are hurting. Some boarded up shops. Junky.
The street and beach vendors are quite pushy and annoying at times. Hard to make a living.
I felt that the El Cid caters quite a bit to the Mexican customer base as the hotel would fill up on weekends and then die out on Monday till the next weekend. I felt that this also became reflected in the food variety and quality as the weekend food was better. However the whole time the food was kind of bland and repetitive and was a bit lacking compared to other places I have been in Mazatlan. The food was nowhere as good as the food at the Riu Emerald Bay for instance. If a good portion of their customer is Mexican then the food and everything is directed in that manner.
Of course I have no issues at all with the workers and upkeep of the place as I found it very good.
I used the tennis facility by the Granada and it was fantastic. Beautiful well run professional facility.It cost extra but was very well priced at $22.00 U.S for 3 hours which could be broken into increments as you wish based on your preference for length of playing time. I booked early AM to beat the heat. I don't golf so can't comment.
I would stay here again if the price was right, but I also like to try other places. Maybe next year I will try the Royal Villas.
I walked every where around Mazatlan and felt safe. The stories out there are exagerrated.
The beach and ocean are fantastic. The weather awesome. That's what I go for. Mucho better than Western Canada in December.
Try it and enjoy. Hasta La Vista, Baby.
G.G.

Room Tip: Oceanfront with view from upper floors. 7 or higher.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank cowtownguy
Ladysmith, Canada
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Where to begin?? First off, I want to say we are not hard to please, we're just basic working ppl. but have done some travelling so are in the position to compare. The hotel itself is clean, rooms are comfortable, staff is friendly and courteous. The food was substandard at best, quality of alcohol below average, for the all inclusive all you could get was draft beer, and not good draft at that. Margaritas and really any cocktails were crappy, so I stuck with white wine the entire week, and I'm not much of a wine drinker. Very noisy from 9am with activities and kid's club around the pool, great for those travelling with kids :) My biggest dissapointment, not the fault of the hotel, was the time share vendors. It didn't matter where we went, what time of the day, we were harassed constantly, and these ppl do not take no for an answer! Finally get rid of one, half a block later get hit up by another. We will NOT be back to Mazatlan for a long time.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank karen t
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Just visited Mazatlan in Dec, 2012 the Christmas and New year's celebrations were GREAT! Rooms are not the best but staff service was excellent. Our waiter Francisco Renetria was the best and very tentative to our needs. Entertainment and activities for the kids were perfect. Beach volleyball games with the staff and guest was a perfect way to meet other individual while on vacation.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2013
Dear: Delia P

First of all I want to thank you for your recent review in tripadvisor. "El Cid Castilla Great" it´s a pretty good title to start.
Thank you for recognizing the service provided by our staff, we are proud to have Francisco Renteria working in our hotel, I also know that I enjoyed our activities like voleibol on the beach or kids program, I am delighted to know through our customers that we are doing a good job.
Regarding to old rooms, still workin in renovations and implemented a maintenance program to make sure that rooms we bring to our customers are in excellent condition.
Hopefully this doesn't an impediment for come back, if in the not too distant future you decide come to Mazatlan, I hope to be the hotel of your choice.

Greetings,

Salvatore Sacchez
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 30 December 2012

This was my family's first trip to Mazatlan. We had a fabulous trip and will return. I went with my wife and 3 adult children. Most of our time was spent by the pool or the ocean. Our service was spectacular. In fact "Angel" (one of the wait staff) treated us so well we chose to sit in his area every chance we could. He was helpful, friendly, and very considerate. We even asked him for his address so we could stay in touch until our next trip. The rest of the staff at El Cid Castilla were also very good. Everyone was hard working, friendly, and ready to serve you. I was thoroughly impressed. I do think the time share requests get old in a hurry, but I just told them no thank you and went on my way.

Room Tip: The beds are way too firm for me but I'd still rate this place a 5. We stayed on the 4th floor...
4 Thank Bob G
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
Dear: Bob G

I feel so fortunate in your first time in Mazatlan, and among options in this wonderful port, you have chosen El Cid Castilla to your vacation with your family and share your experience in this page.

I’m proud to Angel he is a good guy and is reflected in your comment, he is a great waiter and took care in each request of our customer, we have more employed like him and we are so happy for that.

Thank you so much for your recent review, and hope to see you soon in this your house El Cid Catsilla.

Greetings,

Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Just returned from a week stay at the El Cid Castilla. It was awesome, and absolutely surpassed all expectations. The service was awesome, and the staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The best staff member they have is Angel Martinez. If you stay at the El Cid Moro or Castilla, you definitely need to request him as your server. He took care of our family all week and was excellent. He worked harder than every other server we had and was extremely friendly and personable. He even served us when we were next to the ocean and brought us drinks making about 10 stops one day. He treated us very well. Overall, the experience at the El Cid could not have been better. The only complaint I would have is the beds are a little firm, but that hardly compares to the numerous positive aspects we expereinced

3 Thank Joe G
Dear: Joe G

I want to thank you for your generous comments on Tripadvisor, I’m very proud to know the excellent work provided by Angel Martinez, I read this comment with the rest of the staff for let them know the results of the great job.

We are glad to share positive comments like this with our staff they are a very important motivation to create them objectives and goals which consisting of meet the expectations of our customers.

Concerning to the hard beds, we have a mattress topper for make more comfortable beds, maybe that would have helped, but in truth I'm glad that's not inconvenient for you to come back with us.

We will gladly get back and a million thanks for your excellent comment.

Airdrie, Canada
Reviewed 30 December 2012

We just returned from Mazatlan. We have been all over Mexico and this is the most over rated hotel we have been to. The place is old and run down.The food was very basic and plain.Even for a budget vacation this was not very nice. Do not waste your money on the Club Elite. There is nothing elite about it. The only good thing about this place was the STAFF. They were very very good, very friendly and helpful. We never received anything we were supposed to with the Elite package. WE would not go back here again.

Room Tip: choose a different resort
10 Thank Todd A
Dear: Todd A

First and Foremost an apologies for the inconvenience you have in your recent stay at El Cid Castilla, I very concern of your recent post to Tripadvisor.
Regarding our facilities, we are working on remodeling side by side of the hotel and we checked constantly improvement areas for repairs, I realize that we have much to do, but believe me we are working on that.
I know to buy the Elite package when coming to Mazatlan is the best option, there is more variety, from restaurants, food, beverages, amenities, golf, tennis, access to our new restaurant called La Gruta, check in personalized, Club Elite, etc .....And it's not for an excessive price.
I would like to know of you disadvantages before you lived, in this way I might change your perspective to you now think of El Cid.
In a future change your mind and gives us the opportunity to show our improvements, I would love to give a warm welcome you to this your home, I am sure also that elite club staff will be happy to have him back with us.

My best wishes,