“Exceptional Service!” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Trail, Canada
“Exceptional Service!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

Vacationed from Feb 23 to Mar 9 all inclusive. The hotel was nice. We stayed in a pool view room 4th floor which we found to be just fine. It was clean and comfortable. It was noisy in the evening from the waterslide and waterfall running too late at night. This could be turned off earlier in the evening. We had a nice new of the ocean and sunset. The beach was nice and could walk for miles. Nice and flat for walking....the surf was strong and the water cold at this time of year. Low tide at the beach was the best.....at high tide the water came right under my beach chair one day so that narrowed the beach somewhat. The pool we went to was clean and "heated" which was great! We were impressed that we could have a la carte every night if we so desired and that there was TSN on tv so we could catch the curling! Both weekends it got noisy with the influx of students and conventions happening but it was for only a couple of days and they were gone. Entertainment every night was worth seeing. The food was good and plentiful, as were the drinks! The vino tinto and blanco were the best we have gotten in Mexico before. Special thanks to: Ivan X in the lobby bar, Lewis at the pool, Carlos and Jules at the El Patio restaurant and to the servers at the Beach Buffet...the extra service for the guacomole was exceptional! Thanks for the nice memories.....

Room Tip: King Room 4th Floor Pool view was roomy and comfortable. Noisy in the evening from the waterslide a...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
Dear: Allan Joan

Thanks for writing such a thorough review of the hotel which for sure made our day today! I am delighted to hear that your time spent with us was most memorable and that you enjoyed the pleasant, clean and comfortable hotel.

We appreciate your feedback and are pleased to read about your positive experiences with our staff. Our team really wants to excel all the time and provide the best possible service for all guests - your comment will be even more motivating to Ivan, X at lobby bar, Carlos and Jules at the Patio.

We are really happy to have created memorable experiences with our nice beach, warm pool and the variety of restaurants a la carte, we are happy to read you recommend us to future travelers.

I regret your experience with the noisy waterfall running late every night we take a note of this situation. An apology for the inconvenience caused from the conventions, we have security guards strengths the areas to ensure the comfort of our clients

Hope you will grant us a renewed opportunity to welcome you back to El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel.

Kind Regards,

Salvatore Sanchez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

This was our second time staying at the Castilla and the difference between this time and the last time was very noticeable. The first problem we encountered was not getting a room with a king size bed that we had requested at the time of booking six weeks earlier, we were told that there was no king size beds available at that time and to check back the next day as it was a Sunday and there would be check outs. We did this but still no king size beds to be found, we never did get our king size bed and we were there for two weeks. When my wife went to have a bath the water was so brown that we had to let it run for 10 minutes before it cleared up even a little bit and when maintenence came to check it out they told us to just let it run for a bit and not to drink it but it was perfectly ok to brush our teeth with. Yeah right, no thank you. We supplied our own drinking water from there on in as you have to pay for the bottled water and the coffee that the hotel provides. There was no ice to be found any where I am assuming that because of the water they didn't want anyone mixing a drink with it in case they got sick. My assumption only. When I asked to speak with the manager A Mr Salvator Sanchez I was told and I was told this about three times before I finally gave up that he was either not there or not available. The last complaint that I have and it wasn't a big thing as much as an annoyance was the pass card that you use to gain access to your room it seemed that every other day you had to have you card key I think is what they call them, they had to be recharged. Nothing more annoying then coming home from a nice evening out and you go to get in to your room only to find that you can't and you have to go back to the front desk and get them to give you a new pass key. Now not everything at the El Cid Castilla was bad. The majority of the staff was as usually fantastic they try so hard to make your stay as pleasant as possible, to the point of being almost apologetic for your troubles. Thank you , Elvis Kyle. ( Edmonton Alberta Canada )

2 Thank ElvisKyle
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Dear Elvis Kyle,

First and foremost, thank you for returning to El Cid Castilla Beach again! We greatly appreciate your confidence and decision to stay with us again and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the service you received. Your comments have been shared with our staff so they continue to ensure that our guests’ comfort and attention to detail comes first.

Please know that I will personally follow up on the situation involving the dirty water in your room to ensure the necessary adjustments have been made and that this is not a recurring issue that would affect future guests in any way. Just as a point of clarification, the fee for the water and coffee in the room is a 100% donation to the El Cid Foundation. I regret that we were unable to provide you with the King-size bed you requested. We strive to fulfill our guest request and certainly try to do so when availability allows us the opportunity.

Again, thank you for letting us know about your experience so we can take action to improve. On behalf of all El Cid Resorts staff, thank you again for your preference. It is certainly our aim to have happy guests that are eager to return.

Hope, B.C.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

Mar 8th to 15th 2013. We like 1st class air and upgraded rooms in the hotel. That's what we booked and paid for. 1st day at El Cid, no soap in room & bathroom sink had hundreds of little bugs. We called the desk & asked the cleaning staff to spray for bugs.....everyday we (us) killed these bugs several times& staff couldn't understand our english to spray....bugs in everything! 2nd day we were stuck in a very dark & hot elevator for over half an hour! We were brought down to the main floor manually....totally scary! We were sent a bowl of fruit & bottle of wine. Well, how do you eat a kiwi without something to peel it & drink a bottle of wine without a corkscrew? Asked continually for a cork screw but no one understood. Coffe packs weren't replaced and water had to be asked for. Only one chair on balcony & we would take one from inside & staff removed it daily when we wanted to sit together outside. The tip we left for cleaning staff was removed before they started cleaning. Food was never hot and it was mostly awful. English was not readily available and we would ask for one thing & either got nothing or something way off the mark. We paid to upgrade to this room & they charged us $15 pesos for coffee..........I hated this place and we will never go back! We had to enter the hotel via many stairs as the bus from the airport couldn't go up the driveway!

Dear billandar,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and opinions. With each guest comment we receive, we view it as an opportunity to learn and understand our guest’s experiences. So, we appreciate that you shared both the pros and cons of your stay.

It is clear from your review that we missed many opportunities to create the experience you anticipated. First of all, please accept my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience and concern you experienced in the elevator. We have carefully reviewed this situation with the company responsible for the proper functioning of the elevators to ensure the safety of our customers.

I regret the inconvenience of the little bugs in your room and for the staff who were not clear about what you were asking of them. For years we have provided all of our guest contact staff free English lessons to strengthen their knowledge of the most conventional phrases used, and we will continue to support this program.

We will continue to iron out the service flaws you expressed, and hope to have the opportunity of being your host on a future visit to demonstrate how well we can take care of our guests.

Cordially,

Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

This is our second trip to mazatlan. This time we brought the kids and upgraded our room. It was well worth it...not much more $$. The ocean view was amazing. The food was good and the service was excellent. Plenty of activities for kids as well as adults. We took the time to visit the other el CID resorts instead of staying at just one pool. The only negative is our flight to mazatlan was more expensive than going to cancun area.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank C P
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Dear: CP

Thank you for choosing us for a second time, and for share your amazing review regards to your recent stay at El Cid Castilla.

We are so proud to offer a great experience to our customer and leave good memories to them. I’m so glad to read that you enjoyed our food and service, and the activities are of your expectations.

Please let me know when you are returning for your third visit as I would love to offer you a personal welcome. I do hope you stumble through our doors again and enjoy our hospitality.

Kind regards,

victoria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

the hotel and food reminded me of the UK holiday camps, the hotel was over run with drunken teenagers, the buffet food well I can't even start on that. Had dinner one night in the Steak Restaurant ordered a rib eye when it arrives 'it was no thicker than 1/4 in and full of fat, sent it back. I could write pages on the place some good mostly not so good.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Dear moxy43,

Thank you so much for selecting El Cid Castilla among the many resort options in Mazatlan. We greatly value your feedback.

El Cid has strict guidelines limiting guests under the age of 25 to reserve or register at any of our hotels, however, it becomes a challenge at times when families who have teenagers take advantage of the All Inclusive plan that our property offers. This is an area we will continue to monitor more closely as the enjoyment of our resort for all guests of all ages is of greatest importance.

We apologize for not meeting your dining expectations and I have already shared your comments with our food and beverage team. Our buffet menu is currently under review. We don't offer excuses, only our assurance that we will work diligently to make improvements.

Thanks you again for staying with us and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Kind regards,

New Orleans, Louisiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

I don't know HOW ON EARTH this hotel has such great reviews. My husband and I wanted to book a modest vacation for Spring Break but we realized that we should have spent a bit more money to go somewhere better. Complaints:

-The food was disgusting. My husband and I don't have the highest standards, but we did not have ONE good meal while we were in El Cid. We could not wait to get back to the US so we could eat and enjoy a good meal. The food is cheap and poorly made. The drinks are also disgusting, and they only have one bottle of wine to choose from.

-The beds in the room are hard. We woke up every morning with back pain.

-The spa was not that special. My husband paid for a massage and he was not that impressed. They make the spa look luxurous in the advertisements, but once you get there, the "spa" looks like a run down gym. I will say, however, that they have a nice sauna and the jacuzzi was clean and warm.

-The ocean is horrible. A small portion of it is blocked off where you can sit. However, there are hagglers bothering you EVERY SECOND trying to sell you stuff. They don't take no for an answer. I understand they are trying to make a living, but when you go on vacation, you are trying to relax, not be bombarded by people trying to sell you hats and sunglasses. This hotel really needs to block off the beach to make it private. The sand is also brown, so do not go to Mazatlan if you are expecting white sand and blue water. Also, there was a RED danger flag up every day we were there which meant nobody was swimming AT ALL.

Only good thing:

-The pools are nice and heated, although when you got water on your face, the water tasted salty and disgusting. This was the only real thing to do though b/c the ocean was not an option.

My husband and I read the good and the bad reviews, but we can honestly say that after we went, the bad reviews aren't just because people had a bad experience and were venting, the reviews and what everybody had said is actually true. I say spend extra money and go somewhere else. That, or just save your money completely! Don't waste it and be disappointed, only to find that the food sucks, the beach is horrible, and the only good thing they have is a pool which you could likely find at any of your local hotels near your city.

Room Tip: We got ocean view which was nice.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 13 April 2013
Dear: Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to write your honest opinion about our hotel whether the comments are good or bad these are the essentials in helping us see what our down falls are and what areas we need to improve on.

It is unfortunate to hear that you had such an unpleasant stay and dealt with many inconveniences. I’d like to start of by addressing the situation with our food. It sadness me to hear that our food and beverages were not at your standards, we have token you comment into consideration and have talked to the proper department to see and discuss ways to improve our food and beverages so that this won’t be a problem in the future. As far as you comment about our ocean it is unfortunate that at the time of your stay our oceans weren’t at its best conditions and it was unsafe to go in the water if we could control the water we would do so so that you would have been able to enjoy Mazatlan’s beautiful beach and gotten the full on experience. Rest assure that the proper precautions have been token about the beach vendors we had a meeting with our head security staff and have told them to become more strict about those beach vendors because like you said you go on vacation to relax and that’s the way it should be.

My sincere apologies on how your stay turned out. I want to thank you for taking the time in writing this review and giving us your honest and constructive feedback we really appreciate it.

I really do hope that in the future you could possibly re consider us and let us make up for your recent experience I can assure you that you will find our changes rather great and wont encounter any problems.

Best Regards,

San Jose, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

My husband took me to Mazatlan for my birthday celebration. We stayed 8 days at "El Cid Castilla" in an ocean view room. Upon check in we were given two full size beds and it wasn't until our third day that we were moved to a king size bed room. My husband special ordered wine, roses, a happy birthday sign, and chocolate covered strawberries: the bottle of wine was delivered with ONE GLASS and NO cork opener, the birthday sign was never created or delivered , the roses were impressive and the strawberries were ok. Getting a dinner reservation to one of the restaurant is ridiculous, we actually called by 8:40 am and the only time available every time was 9pm - that being said I have to admit that the food was fine and worth the wait, especially if you are not into the buffet style dinner. The service was good all the time but then again we tipped all the time - the only restaurant I absolutely refused to go back to was the Mexican a la carte, being the fact that our waiter was rude, unattentive and bias. The managers at both, the Italian and the Argentinian restaurants went above and beyond to accomodate our large group of 10 new friends (only 6 of us had reservations). The pool is warm and the waiters consistently offer you drinks - BUT you can't have any snacks while launching by the pool. As a matter of fact the snack bar is a mistery in itself as it sits inside one of the restaurants overseeing the ocean. I was pretty pissed over the fact that I was not allowed to take some nachos to my starving husband, I was asked by the hostess to eat at the tables provdide by the side of the pool but the problem is that not only were they taken but they were full of smokers!!! I was livid and ended up leaving the food for her to throw away. Getting a snack in the middle of the night is not possible as they don't have a late snack bar, while hanging out at the ONLY bar at the resort we met a couple from Canada and the wife was starving but unable to eat anything despite the fact that all of us were on the all inclusive plan. The after hours entertainment is non-existant - their website claims to have a disco but we never found it, one of our waiters told us that it has been closed for some time. All in all, the resort was clean, safe, affordable and unpretentious. We would go back to give it a second chance but we would only consider going in the hotter months as it was too cold in February. Special thanks to Ivan, Carlos, Leticia, Esteban, and Hector.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are LOUD as the staff congregates in the stairways to discuss their business. I was wo...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 16 March 2013
Dear: Claudia L

Thank you for taking the time to write a 4 stars review on TripAdvisor. It is through guest feedback that we assess the standard of our service, and therefore amend it, so as to meet and exceed guest expectations.

I will share the wonderful feedback you had for Ivan, Carlos, Leticia, Esteban and Hector. They are a true asset to the hotel and I am delighted that your stay overall was most enjoyable.

I´m so worry about that we can’t meet your expectations regarding to the all inclusive package, and to hear that some staff was rude in some places, specially at La cascada restaurant, we take note about this inconvenience, to make the necessary adjustments and prevent this situation happen again, We have a snack service called "Late Snack" where you can find food from 11:00 pm to 01:00 am.

Please accept our sincere apologies and know that the respective restaurants involved have read your review and I have personally followed up on all of your concerns. The reservation system currently in place allows guests to reserve the restaurant of their choice 24 hours in advance, and while we try to accommodate everyone it is not always possible to do so. We also try to make exceptions when we can.

Should you make a return visit to Mazatlan, please contact me directly as I would be most happy to discuss these previous incidents and offer you a far superior service to what you previously received.

Yours Sincerely,