“Excellent Service”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

This is a great resort, it definitely is dated now and needs a serious overhaul. They have been renovating to update the pool area. It has a nice atmosphere, it's close to the strip (5 min car journey) has plenty of shops outside, a great family resort feel. The rooms are dated but clean and the price isn't too high comparable to other hotels in the area. The pool area is great, it's a fun place to stay!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
Dear: Dean T

Thank you so much for let us know your remarks to your recent stay at El Cid Castilla.
I’m so glad to read that you are able to enjoyed our renovated pools, our cleans rooms, and in general that the hotel is a great place to stay.

In order to provide a best service ever, we keep working in remodeling our areas to provide a good service for all our customers and to be a first hotel of your choice when you decide to come Mazatlan.

I really want to host you in a not distance future for more fun, I am almost positive you will see our improvements

My best,

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

This resort is amazing. We had an ocean view room, overlooking the pool. The room was smaller and not as fancy as anticipated, but when you're at a resort in Mexico, you don't want to spend a lot of time in your room. The staff are amazing, particularly Ricardo who was our server for breakfast and lunch, as well as Ivan in the lobby bar. I genuinely recommend everyone to visit this resort.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rachel K
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2013
Dear: Rachel K

Please receive this note that expresses our gratitude to your kindness of completing a review of your stay in El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel. Thank you for your trust on behalf of the whole team.

My staff was very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that our ocean view, the pool, and the amazing staff the best asset to be different from other hotels they. We try our very best to go above and beyond for you in fact does get a lot of comments and he has been recognized on a number of occasions.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not so distant future and please do not hesitate to let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Kind regards,

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

I could not have chose a better vacation, the hotel may be a bit dated, but the waterfalls, the pools and all the flowing water make up for everything lacking. The beaches are beautiful, you can walk them for miles, and no hotel has tried to rock off their beach like they did in Puerto Vallarta, the people are friendly , I took the Stone Island tour with a huge Mexican family, met many Canadians and Americans, and really had an excellent time. I will never be afraid to go back solo again, though next time I hope my friend goes with me! Ricardo, Ernesto, all the waiters and all the bar people work very hard to see that everyone is looked after. Keep up the great work!

Room Tip: ,pool view I had also had an ocean view!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Dear: Lilm486

What a pleasant review, I am very proud to read that you experienced at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel was excellent during your vacation in Mazatlan.

Thank you so much for your recommendations to our hotel, we love the way you describe our facilities and I’m sure this can be help to future travelers to take a decision about which hotel to choose on the future trips to Mazatlan.

I have passed your compliments to our entire bar team who were indeed delighted at your gesture and they thank you for your generous comments…Ricardo and Rogelio were especially happy to know how much they made a difference to your stay. We know it is not always easy to satisfy all our customer's wants but, we will always try our best for you.

Thank you for giving us the possibility to demonstrate our gratitude and for placing your confidence at our Hotel.

Best Regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

I am so glad I went to this resort. I loved absolutely everything about this place - the openness, the food, the perfect location on the ocean, and the staff are just wonderful. Ricardo was our server for breakfast and lunch and was just a genuinely great guy. I also had beyond great service from Ivan from the lobby bar who kept me and my friends coming for more drinks every night. Thank you Ricardo and thank you Ivan for making my stay that much more awesome. I hope I have the opportunity to see you again very soon either at the resort or here in Calgary, Alberta.

• Stayed April 2013
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Dear: Pslmonteverde

I´m more than happy to read your great comment regarding the service provided from our staff, I really appreciated the time you provide us to write this nice words to our employees, We are proud to having people like Ricardo, Ivan who work hard every day to provide a good experience to all our customer and letting them a good memories.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel. I will be eagerly waiting for your next visit to Mazatlan!

Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

We have been staying at the El Cid Castilla for the last 4 years (3 weeks at a time) and our last visit will be exactly that. Our last.

1- We upgraded to Elite, as we always do, and it wasn't any different than if we hadn't upgraded. We didn't receive anything Elite travellers are entitled to as per El Cid Castilla's website. We did receive a coupon book. We thought we would check out Diamond International because there was a $250.00 coupon if you spent $500.00 or more. Diamond International is closed. By closed I mean shut down, gone.

2- Shocked to find out we had to pay for WiFi. Last year as Elite members we received 2 weeks free. ($30.00 per week)

3- There isn't any ice on any of the floors. If you want ice you need to go down to the lounge or the pool bar if it's open. At one point we were told to call room service for ice. We called and after waiting 2 hours we gave up. Speaking of the lounge, it doesn't provide comfortable chairs and it isn't nearly large enough to accomodate a hotel of this size.

4- Housekeeping wasn't good at all. Except for making the beds, leaving clean towels and wiping down the floors nothing was done. Even when we called housekeeping for wash cloths we didn't receive them and twice there was no answer. We cleaned our tub, sink, and coffee maker. We received coffee the first two days and when we didn't get more we went out and bought our own. And careful, they charge you if you use the coffee and drink the bottled water in your room.

5- It's difficult to relax on your deck with only one chair and a concrete bench. Not to mention several bands on the beach playing different songs simultaneously.

6- The elevator broke down and I had to climb 14 flights of stairs. That was fun.

7- After I complained at the Elite room we went out for the day. When we returned there was a plate of meat and cheese in our room. We didn't eat it because we weren't sure how long it had been sitting in the hot room. They also offered us a reservation at one of their restaurants but we already had plans to go out that evening and they offered us a bottle of Tequila. I told the woman we didn't want anything for the terrible service we had received, we just wanted them to be aware of the situation.

8- The food is not as good as it has been in the past. Quite often it was barely warm. And the patio restaurant was closed several times because there were too many people. So for the majority of our trip we went out to eat.

9- The only consistency at the El Cid Castilla is the great service we received from the pool waiters (Francisco R, Luis, Martin) last but not least pool bar captain Raul. You can always expect exceptional service from these wonderful waiters. They are always smiling and make the day brighter.

The restaurants around the El Cid are awesome. If you're staying in the area a few musts are Fat Fish, Munchkins, Marys, Christy's and just a short bus ride will take you to The Last Drop.

Hope this helps.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angela A
Dear: Angela A

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. It is through guest feedback that we assess the standard of our service, and therefore amend it, so as to meet and exceed guest expectations.

I will share the wonderful feedback you had for Francisco Renteria, Luis, Martín, y Raul Capitan. They are a true asset to the hotel and I am delighted that your stay overall was most enjoyable.

reviewing your comments I was disappointed to hear that you did not receive complete information about the Elite package to know a bit more about the Elite package service has to offer, and about the inconveniences in the elevator and ice in the rooms. I can assure you this is not the norm and certainly not acceptable. As we pride ourselves in meeting and exceeding our guests’ expectations, we are surprised and disappointed to hear of your experience.

Referring to your comments about the food, I have shared your comments with our F&B Director and the rest of the management team and we are working diligently to improve day after day to exceed your expectations in the future.

Should you make a return visit to Mazatlan (which I hope you do), please contact me directly as
I would be most happy to discuss these previous incidents and offer you a far superior service to what you previously received.

Yours Sincerely,

Chelan, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

I had not been to Mazatlan for twenty years so we decided to take to trip for our kids spring vacation.

When we first arrived, we were not all that happy with the room. It was much smaller than I had figured. There was a strong musty smell. The room was missing items such as a coffee pot, hair dryer, etc. The room was kind of old looking, but for the most part it did look clean. Naturally, the family was comparing this place to the place we stayed a couple years previous in a different part of Mexico. The first night we went to the buffet dinner and for the most part, it was the same food they served out front for lunch. I guess you could say our first impression was not all that great.

We tried to see about getting a bigger room but we were told that the larger rooms only had one bed, so that was not an option. We are normally not very picky with these things so we just made the best of it.

So here are my overall thoughts.

When we arrived it was during Holy Week as well as a motorcycle event in Mazatlan. This had nothing to do with El Cid but it was very busy. Toward the end of our stay the crowds thinned down and it was much nicer.

BEDS - I had read where the bed were very hard at El Cid and they are. I have a real bad back but I must say that I slept very well on these beds. So no complaints there. The covers however were very old looking and not that appealing.

Room - The location on our room actually grew on us as the week went on. We were in Room 3083 and it always seemed to stay shady and looked as if it was a much cooler location. We were missing items in our room for the entire week but it was not a huge deal. One day they did take our shower curtain and did not replace it until the following day, but that was not a huge deal either as the showers are pretty large.

Food - With our package, the food was not super great. Seemed they had the same items time after time in the lower Cafe.

Service - With the exception of the room, we were very happy with the service. Very nice people working there and seemed to want to help. I will be honest, what made our trip was our waiter Fransisco. What a great waiter and great man. We became good friends with him and he did all he could to make us feel welcome. If not for Fransisco, I do not know if we would go back to El Cid. We would try something else, but Fransisco was a perfect example of top notch customer service, thus, I would return if for no other reason than to have him take care of us and to see him again. We feel we have made a life long friend with Fransisco. He gets a FIVE STAR RATING from us and we look forward to seeing him again one day.

Over all, our week started off not to good but ended up a lot of fun. We enjoyed Mazatlan. We loved the beaches and the water was nice and warm. Enjoyed the town, going to Stone Island, Zip lines, and to Old Mazatlan. Enjoyed the people and always felt safe.

I hope this does not come across to negative for we did really enjoy our stay for the most part. Food could be better. Rooms could be better but the resort itself is very nice. The employees are very nice. The waiters are great. Thank you Fransisco for making our week a wonderful week. We look forward to seeing you again one of these days.

Room Tip: We stayed in 3083. While it was musty smelling when we arrived and was missing some items, I did re...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Dear: Robertwatsonjunior

I want to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback! I always encourage all feedback, positive or constructive, as we can only improve or embrace on what our guests tell us is true.

I am also pleased to hear that your family has the opportunity to enjoy the adventure Mazatlan, with trips to Stone Island, Zip lines and old Mazatlan. The pride of our staff is evident; they are constantly striving to improve upon how they perform their jobs. I have shared your comments with Francisco Renteria I know they will take them to heart. A caring and well-trained staff truly makes all the difference

An apologies for the inconvenience with amenities in your room, is no excuse for why you didn't have in your room, but have the promise that we already reviewed the standards of service with housekeeper to prevent this from happening again.

Regarding the quality of the food, we continue to work with F & B department to improve our menu and offer a variety of food, we rely on quality standards which support us to handle the best form the food and select all of them, for to make sure they are the best quality, anyway I did get your comments to the master chef to take note and see as an improvement.

We look forward to your return!

Okotoks, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

Arrived at the El Cid Castila after a 6 hr flight delay , We checked in quickly and sent to our room. Had requested a fridge in our room as my wife has medication that has to be refridgerated and was pleasantly surprised it was there .Although the room is located perfectly to the pools and beach it is very out dated , mould in the corner on the bathroom floor , couldn't lock the deck door ,when you flush the toilet it sounds like a jet taking off. (stayed on the second floor room 0212).Now the food ... ate at all the al a carte's and the service was awesome but the food was just ok. The buffets were a different story great service again BUT !!! very bland with watered down sauces, we had the burgers for lunch one day and all four of our burgers were half cooked ! has very poor selection and it seemed that it was the same left overs every day .We would frequent the lobby bar nightly (Had the hockey games on )and had great service there as well until the middle of the week when a whole bunch of Mexican students came in pretty much went down hill from there as they took over the whole resort, we had to go eat off the resort as they were so pushy and ignorant .I can definitely rate the service a strong five but for anything else maybe a three. This was our ninth time to Mexico and I can honestly say the first time I've had a negative review .

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank kenoCalgary
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Dear: KneoCalgary

Thank you for taking the time in writing your comments we really appreciate your honest feedback for it is very important to us it lets us see what our down falls are from a different perspective.

I am glad we were able to complete your request on the refrigerator and you had such a pleasant experience with all our staff and that you rated them a 5 they will definitely be given the recognition they deserve however.

Regarding your comments on the room we are working on remodeling the rooms we are giving it our best efforts to have this remodeling process done as quickly as possible, I am sad to hear that our food was not at your standers my sincere apologize for this we have meet up with our staff and discussed ways we can improve our menus and also came up with new ideas to expand our variety on the menus and we are greatly looking forward on making these idea become a reality.

It is unfortunate that at the time of your stay our hotel had to be over booked and that you had inconvenience with the guest, but I can assure you that if you come visit us again we will try our very best to make sure you have everything you need and find your stay at your satisfaction if you happen to have an incident like this again you can always feel free to let any of our staff know and I can assure you that it will be solved! We hope this didn’t change your outlook on our hotel and give us another try to make up for this not so great vacation.

Best Regards,