“Decent all-inclusive.”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Calgary, Canada
“Decent all-inclusive.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

I'll start by saying that we have stayed at the Riu Emerald Bay in Mazatlan previously, and while it was a finer hotel from the point of view of the rooms and foyer, I can't honestly say I had a better time there than I did at the Castilla. On to the review... It was quite crowded on the weekend with a lot of locals there on weekend packages, but on Sunday it cleared out and it was quite reasonable. Lots of room at the pools, bars and ala carte restaurants. The buffet food was all good quality, but like most resorts there was a certain sameness to it after 3 or 4 days. The ala cartes were all different however.. with the sushi place being a "meh" at best.. Italian was just ok, Argentinian was quite good, and naturally the Mexican place was dynamite! Only gripe about the drinking part was no bottled beer, and only occasionally some cans if you twisted someone's arm. Just draft, draft, and more draft. But that's pretty small potatoes when you have an unending supply of anything you want. Otherwise great waiter service even out on the beach. Even better if you through 50 pesos around once in a while. Staff were all nice with the exception of one cranky little broad in the buffet omelette table one day.. can't remember her name but she was young so maybe had a chip on her shoulder. Service in the buffet restaraunt was terrific every time. Our housekeeper Ramona was just awesome and had a great smile and pleasant words every time we ran into each other. She was definitely a highlight! My one serious complaint about the whole time was that even though they have a rope barrier down at the beach, which I assumed was the "no-go" zone for the crap-merchants, it seemed to be ignored and the hotel security did nothing to enforce it. I was tired out by the ceaseless offers of shoddy crafts and fake tattoos. I understand that people need to make a living, but I came there to rest and that was too much. I got over it though and still had a great time. I would return here if I was after another all inclusive.

Room Tip: spend the extra few bucks when you get there and stay in the tower. Nicer rooms and a killer view.
1 Thank Mugsy M
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Mugsy M ,

Thank you for taking the time to your this review. I am sadden to hear that you trip was not it’s finest and that you had a few minor inconveniences along the way. It is unfortunate you were not pleased with our Restaurants we work hard to always try and have the best cuisines but nevertheless I appreciate you bringing it to my attention I will talk to my food and beverage department. I am pleased my staff was kind to you and provided great service they are truly what make a difference. I’m glad you took a notice on how hard we try to keep our installations clean and presentable. In regards to the vendors In the beach I am really concerned to hear that security has not been as attentive to vendors crossing the rope limit I will personally take care of this matter and the proper precautions will be dealt with. We await for your next visit.

Salvatore Sanchez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
Dundas, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

We traveled as a family with 2 teenagers 13 and 15 years old during March break from Toronto.
We arrived at 10:30 in the morning. Kids were starving,No access to any food, No welcoming cocktail, even Snack bar was not open to serve ( which is suppose to be open all the time)we ended up eating some nuts that I had from home.
Lady at the reception misinformed us about opening time of snack bar and had basically no idea.
we were booked for a room having pool view but you could hardly see any pool view. It was all covered by trees.There was a construction happening in the room next door to us,therefore there was no peace and relaxation time for us. I don't understand WHY they send their guests to the room full of action ?!!! Also there was a sound of hammering walls during the nights from some areas at the Hotel.There was also constant noise of construction right beside one of the 2 pools,where you want to sit and relax during the day.
Smoking was also permitted every where even at the pool area where there are usually bunch of kids trying to enjoy themselves. Imagine people with Asthma including my own children that had to deal with the situation.
We've been traveling a few times a year as a couple and always book all-inclusive resorts, but NEVER SEEN ANY ALL- INCLUSIVE like this one which was ABSOLUTELY NOT ALL-INCLUSIVE AT ALL !!!!!
For example, 2 pools right close to each other,2 snack bars, but you have to pay for your Nachos at this pool and if you want it for free,you have to walk to the other pool and get it there!!
Does it make sense to u? Lack of servers every where, the only server walking by the pool asked me once if I like some thing to drink( and that was after passing by so many times without asking),I asked for a coffee but he kept forgetting my request and kept asking me if I wanted some thing to drink and I finally asked my husband to get it for me. The same with alcohol or any order at the restaurants. Very slow service,Lack of employees, lack of management,...
Basically,only one Buffet restaurant was open for food and all the other options are just a big lies.You seem to be always late to book other food choices.
You ask for a shot of Tequila and bar tender quickly tries to sell you their own El Cid brand in smaller size than a usual.
Evening entertainments were o.k. Dance moves could have been better and more professional,but all the performances were soooo cute and very talented. Problem was chirography.
Due to some Mexican Holiday, it got so busy for a few days and less spots available at the beach or pool, almost close to none chair was left to sit. People put their towels on the chairs before 6 o'clock in the morning. They had a new live band of 3 people with amazing voices for a few nights at the reception area( when hotel was packed with guests) and they only sang memorable English songs and I really enjoyed them and got so excited my friend gave them 20 dollars as a tip (while others gave them nothing )and requested one popular Spanish song,but they said NO ( not in a polite way and my friend found their respond very rude,especially after giving them an amazing tip) at least they could have said : "No sorry "or "may be tomorrow",...
As I mentioned we had problem with our room as well and we tried to talk to the Manager,had hard time seeing her,kept us going back and forth to her office, was hardly there,and did not do any thing about it, she was just all nice talk and no action, so we ended up staying in the same room for a week.
I don't recommend 2 weeks for anyone at any El Cid resorts,since we met people staying at El Cid Marine having time sharing and got sooo bored ( not much happening and food was even worst in there, as they said.
The best part was WEATHER,nice blue sky every day with no sign of clouds in March,location was good ,close to town.
Result : The only "suppose to be ALL-INCLUSIVE" which was ABSOLUTELY NOT ALL-INCLUSIVE at all.
We would not recommend it.

1 Thank Fred N
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear Fred N ,

Thank you for taking the time in writing this review we appreciate you writing such a detailed description. It’s unfortunate that you were not able to have such a great time do to some inconveniences. I would like to clarify that we do have 4 different resorts so there for if you reserved at al el cid Castilla your all inclusive would only allow What is Castilla we do however make an exception with the ala carts giving the fact that they are all spread out through the 4 hotel and we also allow guest to use any pools they would like from other facilitys. My sincere apologize for the disruption made due to construction being done, please note the construction we do is always to better our resort and to make our guests happy. In regards to the staff not giving exemplary service this really does concern me because as you can see in other reviews my staff has always presented outstanding service nevertheless I will check this immediately! I am sorry I was not able to have found an appropriate time for us to meet I would of loved to have gotten together and hear our helpful feedback.

Lake Park, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed at El Cid Castilla for a week in March. Overall, the resort is nice, but the service not so great. On the second day we had clothing and other items stolen from our room. We submitted a report to customer service and were treated very rudely. The women working in customer service did not smile at all and were not sympathetic to our loss at all.
Pros: rooms in the tower are being remodeled, nice views from the tower, beach area is really nice. Within walking distance to several great restaurants (not included in the all-inclusive). Bartenders bring drinks to the beach (better service if you tip well).
Cons: Food is horrible. Breakfast buffet is okay if you don't mind the same thing every morning. Lunch and supper buffet is disgusting. Poolside snack bar gets old after a week when you only have a couple options to pick from. Restaurants are a little better but not by much. Drinks are cheap. No option for top shelf liquor. Bars close at 5pm. The lounge bar does stay open later. Constantly getting harassed from vendors on the beach. To get shade on the beach, you have to get up at 5am to put your towels on your chairs. Customer service is very rude! Resort is currently under renovation so very noisy! Also, not much for night life at this resort.

Room Tip: Get an upgrade to the tower for ocean view. Only downside is from the balcony, you can only see the...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Beahlovers2014,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am delighted to know that you found our resort to be nice but at the same time very sadden to hear that you received poor customer service when a serious matter like personal items being reported lost, my sincere apologize rest assure that this is not something that normal happens but never the less I will immediately check with my customer service department and consult this comment to them, thank you for bringing it to my attention as well as the comments regarding the food being repetitive I’ve already talked to the chef and we have come up with new ideas to expand our variety. Aside for this problem I am glad to read that you found our rooms to be spacious and with beautiful scenery. I hope in a near future you can reconsider us as an option to stay at when you are in Mazatlan and let us make up for this not so great visit!

Salvatore Sanchez,
Medicine Hat, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

Returned to El Cid with our kids and were noT ready to leave after 10 days. Our kids loved Leticia at the kids club and spent a lot of time there so we enjoyed the pool where Roberto kept our drinks flowing.
The buffet had lots of choice so even the fussy eaters found plenty to eat. the breakfasts were the best and Socorro made my omelets perfectly. We met a very nice young server, Carlos who always had a big smile and worked hard to serve everyone.
our favorite ala carte was the Italian. One day while the kids were at KIDS club we went to the LA concha where we had to pay for our meal but had the best fajitas ever. We had met the captain Guillermo on our last visit when he was at the buffet, and he could only chat for a bit cause he was making sure all the guests were happy.
The room was clean and the view was breath taking. sometimes finding a lounge chair was difficult so we spent time in the ocean instead.
if we had one complaint it would be booking the ala carte. My husband would go down at 8 and would sometimes have to wait 20 minutes for the office to open. by then the phone would be ringing off the hook.
we did have a fantastic time and would consider returning in the future...perhaps a big family reunion in 2016.
S, R, S, A and J

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rebecca L
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Dear, Rebecca L

Thank you for the five stars and wonderful comments. I am glad that your overall experience was good and that you will recommend others to stay with us.

Thank you so much for your comments in regards to the great and friendly service provided by our staff. I was especially happy to hear that one of our servers made such a positive impression on you and he along with our entire staff really do try hard to make each guest experience a very special one.

Our hotel is focusing on making our guest feel as warm, comfortable, and connected with us, and we are showing it with your feedback. Thank you again and look forward to seeing you next year.

I would once again like to say GRACIAS for staying with us and here's hoping that we have the opportunity of hosting you in the future!

Kind regards,

Burnaby, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

My daughter & I were lucky enough to stay in Mazatlan for 2 weeks recently and stayed at the El Cid Castilla. When we arrived at the hotel there was little wait at the front desk and were helped by Yesica. She was so friendly and helpful and gave us all of the information that we required. Yesica and Stephanie also remembered my daughter & I by name whenever we had any questions or needed any help with anything. Our room was lovely on the third floor overlooking the pool and had a partial view of the ocean. That first day we stopped by the pool on the Castilla side and were a bit disappointed that La Alhambra was still closed but were happy with the staff. On the following day we sat by the El Moro pool and that is where we met Martin the bartender at the pool and that is where we stayed for the duration of our trip. Martin, Angel and all other staff at that pool are just great. The customer service they provide is the reason why will be coming back again. Jesus, and the rest of the pool crew work so hard every day to keep everything so tidy. We also had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Alma Rosa who works so hard. She is so lovely and friendly and it was a pleasure talking with her every morning. We tried a few of the restaurants on the property but had most of our meals La Pergola. Pamela who greeted us every morning was always there with a smile. Guillermo who was our regular server went above and beyond whenever we sat in his section. We also enjoyed the shows that the entertainment staff put on every night. We cannot wait to come back.
I honestly cannot think of any negatives. We had an amazing time and I wish I could thank all of your staff personally.
Regards,
Laura & Suzy

Dear, ClerkGirl

Thank you for all of the positive comments. At El Cid Granada Country Club, WE ARE VERY PROUD OF OUR STAFF! Our experienced team will always try doing extra to make our guests feel welcome and comfortable. It might be something like an early check-in, a warm smile, the way we really listen to our guests and try to meet all their needs. Because we know, a satisfied customer will come back.

Our customers (you) are amazing and they are the reason for our success. In such a competitive market we are continually reinventing ourselves to stay afloat. That is why your feedback is an important learning tool for us.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel. I will be eagerly waiting for your next visit to Mazatlan!

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

Kids Club, is Fantastic Many Many Thanks to Letty, Mildred, Maritza and Victoria, they are FIRST CLASS.
Many Activities and the kids were looked after well were always occupied.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful and really made us feel welcome. The service was great.
Good Value for you Money.

Thank you.
Sean Cairns.

Room Tip: Ocean View Lovely, Fantastic Views and the sound of waves all night. Beautiful.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear, Sean C

Thank you for all of the lovely comments written about our staff, and the service provide from all of them. We are thrilled that you found what you looking for. It delights me to read that Letty, Mildred, Maritza and Victoria was an important part of make great vacations, however I really feel it's our staff who truly make each guest's vacation something to remember.

Once again thank you for your comments and we will continue to strive to exceed our guest’s expectations via service, location, design and value.

It will certainly be a pleasure to welcome you back. We promise that your every stay with us will be even better

All the best,

Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

This was our second time at the EL Cid Castilla. The Outdoor Buffet Restaurant by the Ocean was closed and under construction the whole 14 days we were there. The noise of grinding saws and hammers all day while trying to relax by the pool made you stick to only the other pool where you could get some piece and quiet. There are only 2 pools. There was nothing on the Hotel web site saying one of the restaurants would be closed and being there for a 2 week vacation - that's a big deal. The food was at most average and nothing more, the only restaurants that had even close to decent food were the Italian and the Mexican a-la-cart restaurants. The Buffet's got really old quick - mostly the same food every day. The feature stations were a nice change, especially the ladies at the Omelet stations (Isabel was awesome).

There was one waiter that stood out from the rest (for the 2nd year in a row) and his name was FRANCISCO RENTERIA and he was the waiter from the -Bar La Conchita- Pool Bar. He always made you feel welcome and always had a really good attitude even though its 30+ degrees outside and he's wearing long pants, 2 shirts, an apron and a hat. Plus he's pretty much running to get your drinks. You never had to wait for a drink if you were sitting in his section. Before you were done your first drink you had 2 more. Now that's service! :-) He always called us by name and made us feel like he was our friend - because he cares. Then there is Leticia who was a server at the Lobby Bar. She was Fantastic, she was also very friendly and made you feel welcome. The band at the lobby bar was ok but played the same songs every time they played. And all they played was rock and roll type songs. I did not go to Mexico just to hear rock and roll. Try playing some Latin music once and a while. That's why we are there.

The rooms were very clean and the beds were not bad. Overall the place was very clean. There was always someone cleaning something, applying a fresh coat of paint, or performing maintenance - since it's an older hotel and seems to need constant attention. The all inclusive wristband that you get is not really all inclusive. The food at the main pool you had to pay for and the free food you could get was crap. So you were always stuck eating crappy chicken nuggets/crappy nachos with gross melted cheese/Crappy fish sticks/and last but not least a crappy hamburger. The good food you had to pay for. SO don't be fooled its not fully all inclusive like they say it is.

The location is perfect right in the middle of the action. Close to a ton of really good restaurants and bars. You never have to wait for a cab or Pulmonia to get you where you need to go. The beaches are really nice and you can go for longs walks or swim in the nice warm ocean. This is a great resort for families but not where you want to go if you are looking for a romantic couples getaway. Being there twice already, we wouldn't go back to this resort - there are better resorts along the beach.

Room Tip: Choose an Ocean View Room. You will be in the EL Cid Tower and the rooms are nicer and more quiet...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Dear andre420Calgary,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for being a repetitive guest. By reading your review I can see you enjoyed our rooms, I am glad you found them to be specious, and clean we work hard to insure that we have everything looking fabulous, it’s always appreciated when people take notice. It is unfortunate that our food did not meet your expectation; I will definitely talk to the chef and see in what ways we can improve this. I’m delighted to hear that my staff was able to provide you with good service I cannot be any more proud. I am concerned to hear that you had to pay for food at the snack bars because having all inclusive you do have the snacks available in the Castilla Pool I wish you could of addressed this problem directly so we could have been able to do something about it. I hope you can reconsider us in a near future we would really appreciate a second opportunity to make this right.

Sincerly,