El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
US$85
US$76
  • Pool
Hotel la Siesta(Mazatlan)(Great Value!)
US$42
US$39
US$502
US$421
  • Beachfront
US$178
US$111
Oceano Palace Beach Hotel(Mazatlan)(Great Value!)
US$654
US$72
  • Pool
Ramada Resort Mazatlan(Mazatlan)(Great Value!)
US$159
US$625
US$290
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
The Inn at Mazatlan(Mazatlan)(Great Value!)
US$128
  • Beachfront
The Palms Resort Of Mazatlan(Mazatlan)(Great Value!)
US$77
Orbitz.com
El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel(Mazatlan)(Great Value!)
US$152
Elvoline
4,206 results
All reviewslobby bartime sharela pergolala alhambraitalian restaurantcastilla beachpool viewall inclusive packagea la carte restaurantsinformation desksushi barkids clubeuropean planbeach vendorsdinner buffetall inclusive plandinner reservations
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I've stayed at other 3.5 star resorts in other Mexican cities, so I had a certain level of quality expectations going in. My overall experience was by no means horrible, but it wasn't good either.

Service - everyone was friendly, and spoke excellent English. In regards to service, this exceeded expectations. I felt very welcome.

Food -
This area was the most lacking. There were around 5 or 6 restaurants, but there were a couple that were exclusive to Elite guests only. There was the 1 buffet restaurant, which was your typical bland buffet fare. Couldn't complain much about that. Then there's the snack bar, which was under construction, so the snack service was being done out of the pool-side bar, and due to the construction, the line up for that was so long that I didn't even bother.

Then there are the specialty restaurants - Italian, Japanese (sushi), Argentinian and Mexican styles. The Mexican restaurant was great! It felt very authentic (it better be!). The other restaurants were pretty horrible though. The meats, like steak and pork chops, were chewy, the sauces tasted like it came from a can, and the food in general seemed like they were microwaved.

I highly recommend not doing the all-inclusive and just going out to eat. The outside restaurants were great and not overly expensive.

Room -
The room was pleasant and clean. The cleaning staff did a great job. However, there was construction going on in the room next to mine. I had paint fumes carry over into my room through the A/C vent, and they worked late into the night so there was loud banging while we were trying to sleep. I complained to the front desk, and all they offered to do was tape up the A/C vent in the room being renovated so the fumes don't travel over. While that did solve the fumes problem, we still had the other annoyances. I'm sure they didn't have construction going on everywhere, so my poor experience was probably an unlucky isolated incident.

Beach -
It was a very nice beach. However, there are a LOT of vendors. Every 5 minutes, the vendors would walk by where I was laying down and asked if I wanted to buy something. They weren't rude about it, and went on their way if you said no, but it's super annoying having to say no to a vendor every few minutes. It wasn't very relaxing at all. We were told that the beach is federal property, so it was out of the hotel's control... but despite whose fault it is, it is still a negative experience.

Misc -
One MAJOR MAJOR negative - timeshare. I was constantly hounded by the timeshare people. It was to the point where I had to find ways to avoid walking near the timeshare area. Luckily the timeshare desk is only in one place though (across from reception). Warning, they look like concierge/info desk, but they are NOT. If you don't like timeshare, don't get fooled into talking to them. I guess some people don't mind spending their vacation time listening to sales pitches though, so... your call.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Gordon,

Thank you for your detailed feedback. I’m glad you found my staff to be very helpful and kind, I have communicated your feedback to the entire team at the hotel as I am certain that this will serve as a source of inspiration for us to achieve higher stander of excellence in the feature. We are however saddened that you did not find our food to your satisfaction and that you found the construction to be noisy. I would like to announce that we are already done with the construction being done in La Alambrah and I am sure if you were to come visit us again you would be quite pleased. I apologize for the bad time the timeshare people made you go through I will definitely talk to them and inform the about the un appropriate behavior. If you ever come across Mazatlan again I hope we are able to have the pleasure to host you.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I'll start by saying that we have stayed at the Riu Emerald Bay in Mazatlan previously, and while it was a finer hotel from the point of view of the rooms and foyer, I can't honestly say I had a better time there than I did at the Castilla. On to the review... It was quite crowded on the weekend with a lot of locals there on weekend packages, but on Sunday it cleared out and it was quite reasonable. Lots of room at the pools, bars and ala carte restaurants. The buffet food was all good quality, but like most resorts there was a certain sameness to it after 3 or 4 days. The ala cartes were all different however.. with the sushi place being a "meh" at best.. Italian was just ok, Argentinian was quite good, and naturally the Mexican place was dynamite! Only gripe about the drinking part was no bottled beer, and only occasionally some cans if you twisted someone's arm. Just draft, draft, and more draft. But that's pretty small potatoes when you have an unending supply of anything you want. Otherwise great waiter service even out on the beach. Even better if you through 50 pesos around once in a while. Staff were all nice with the exception of one cranky little broad in the buffet omelette table one day.. can't remember her name but she was young so maybe had a chip on her shoulder. Service in the buffet restaraunt was terrific every time. Our housekeeper Ramona was just awesome and had a great smile and pleasant words every time we ran into each other. She was definitely a highlight! My one serious complaint about the whole time was that even though they have a rope barrier down at the beach, which I assumed was the "no-go" zone for the crap-merchants, it seemed to be ignored and the hotel security did nothing to enforce it. I was tired out by the ceaseless offers of shoddy crafts and fake tattoos. I understand that people need to make a living, but I came there to rest and that was too much. I got over it though and still had a great time. I would return here if I was after another all inclusive.

Room Tip: spend the extra few bucks when you get there and stay in the tower. Nicer rooms and a killer view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mugsy M

Dear Mugsy M ,

Thank you for taking the time to your this review. I am sadden to hear that you trip was not it’s finest and that you had a few minor inconveniences along the way. It is unfortunate you were not pleased with our Restaurants we work hard to always try and have the best cuisines but nevertheless I appreciate you bringing it to my attention I will talk to my food and beverage department. I am pleased my staff was kind to you and provided great service they are truly what make a difference. I’m glad you took a notice on how hard we try to keep our installations clean and presentable. In regards to the vendors In the beach I am really concerned to hear that security has not been as attentive to vendors crossing the rope limit I will personally take care of this matter and the proper precautions will be dealt with. We await for your next visit.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We traveled as a family with 2 teenagers 13 and 15 years old during March break from Toronto.
We arrived at 10:30 in the morning. Kids were starving,No access to any food, No welcoming cocktail, even Snack bar was not open to serve ( which is suppose to be open all the time)we ended up eating some nuts that I had from home.
Lady at the reception misinformed us about opening time of snack bar and had basically no idea.
we were booked for a room having pool view but you could hardly see any pool view. It was all covered by trees.There was a construction happening in the room next door to us,therefore there was no peace and relaxation time for us. I don't understand WHY they send their guests to the room full of action ?!!! Also there was a sound of hammering walls during the nights from some areas at the Hotel.There was also constant noise of construction right beside one of the 2 pools,where you want to sit and relax during the day.
Smoking was also permitted every where even at the pool area where there are usually bunch of kids trying to enjoy themselves. Imagine people with Asthma including my own children that had to deal with the situation.
We've been traveling a few times a year as a couple and always book all-inclusive resorts, but NEVER SEEN ANY ALL- INCLUSIVE like this one which was ABSOLUTELY NOT ALL-INCLUSIVE AT ALL !!!!!
For example, 2 pools right close to each other,2 snack bars, but you have to pay for your Nachos at this pool and if you want it for free,you have to walk to the other pool and get it there!!
Does it make sense to u? Lack of servers every where, the only server walking by the pool asked me once if I like some thing to drink( and that was after passing by so many times without asking),I asked for a coffee but he kept forgetting my request and kept asking me if I wanted some thing to drink and I finally asked my husband to get it for me. The same with alcohol or any order at the restaurants. Very slow service,Lack of employees, lack of management,...
Basically,only one Buffet restaurant was open for food and all the other options are just a big lies.You seem to be always late to book other food choices.
You ask for a shot of Tequila and bar tender quickly tries to sell you their own El Cid brand in smaller size than a usual.
Evening entertainments were o.k. Dance moves could have been better and more professional,but all the performances were soooo cute and very talented. Problem was chirography.
Due to some Mexican Holiday, it got so busy for a few days and less spots available at the beach or pool, almost close to none chair was left to sit. People put their towels on the chairs before 6 o'clock in the morning. They had a new live band of 3 people with amazing voices for a few nights at the reception area( when hotel was packed with guests) and they only sang memorable English songs and I really enjoyed them and got so excited my friend gave them 20 dollars as a tip (while others gave them nothing )and requested one popular Spanish song,but they said NO ( not in a polite way and my friend found their respond very rude,especially after giving them an amazing tip) at least they could have said : "No sorry "or "may be tomorrow",...
As I mentioned we had problem with our room as well and we tried to talk to the Manager,had hard time seeing her,kept us going back and forth to her office, was hardly there,and did not do any thing about it, she was just all nice talk and no action, so we ended up staying in the same room for a week.
I don't recommend 2 weeks for anyone at any El Cid resorts,since we met people staying at El Cid Marine having time sharing and got sooo bored ( not much happening and food was even worst in there, as they said.
The best part was WEATHER,nice blue sky every day with no sign of clouds in March,location was good ,close to town.
Result : The only "suppose to be ALL-INCLUSIVE" which was ABSOLUTELY NOT ALL-INCLUSIVE at all.
We would not recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Fred N
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Fred N ,

Thank you for taking the time in writing this review we appreciate you writing such a detailed description. It’s unfortunate that you were not able to have such a great time do to some inconveniences. I would like to clarify that we do have 4 different resorts so there for if you reserved at al el cid Castilla your all inclusive would only allow What is Castilla we do however make an exception with the ala carts giving the fact that they are all spread out through the 4 hotel and we also allow guest to use any pools they would like from other facilitys. My sincere apologize for the disruption made due to construction being done, please note the construction we do is always to better our resort and to make our guests happy. In regards to the staff not giving exemplary service this really does concern me because as you can see in other reviews my staff has always presented outstanding service nevertheless I will check this immediately! I am sorry I was not able to have found an appropriate time for us to meet I would of loved to have gotten together and hear our helpful feedback.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed at El Cid Castilla for a week in March. Overall, the resort is nice, but the service not so great. On the second day we had clothing and other items stolen from our room. We submitted a report to customer service and were treated very rudely. The women working in customer service did not smile at all and were not sympathetic to our loss at all.
Pros: rooms in the tower are being remodeled, nice views from the tower, beach area is really nice. Within walking distance to several great restaurants (not included in the all-inclusive). Bartenders bring drinks to the beach (better service if you tip well).
Cons: Food is horrible. Breakfast buffet is okay if you don't mind the same thing every morning. Lunch and supper buffet is disgusting. Poolside snack bar gets old after a week when you only have a couple options to pick from. Restaurants are a little better but not by much. Drinks are cheap. No option for top shelf liquor. Bars close at 5pm. The lounge bar does stay open later. Constantly getting harassed from vendors on the beach. To get shade on the beach, you have to get up at 5am to put your towels on your chairs. Customer service is very rude! Resort is currently under renovation so very noisy! Also, not much for night life at this resort.

Room Tip: Get an upgrade to the tower for ocean view. Only downside is from the balcony, you can only see the ocean if you are standing up because of the cement wall forming the balcony.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Beahlovers2014,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am delighted to know that you found our resort to be nice but at the same time very sadden to hear that you received poor customer service when a serious matter like personal items being reported lost, my sincere apologize rest assure that this is not something that normal happens but never the less I will immediately check with my customer service department and consult this comment to them, thank you for bringing it to my attention as well as the comments regarding the food being repetitive I’ve already talked to the chef and we have come up with new ideas to expand our variety. Aside for this problem I am glad to read that you found our rooms to be spacious and with beautiful scenery. I hope in a near future you can reconsider us as an option to stay at when you are in Mazatlan and let us make up for this not so great visit!

Salvatore Sanchez,

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Returned to El Cid with our kids and were noT ready to leave after 10 days. Our kids loved Leticia at the kids club and spent a lot of time there so we enjoyed the pool where Roberto kept our drinks flowing.
The buffet had lots of choice so even the fussy eaters found plenty to eat. the breakfasts were the best and Socorro made my omelets perfectly. We met a very nice young server, Carlos who always had a big smile and worked hard to serve everyone.
our favorite ala carte was the Italian. One day while the kids were at KIDS club we went to the LA concha where we had to pay for our meal but had the best fajitas ever. We had met the captain Guillermo on our last visit when he was at the buffet, and he could only chat for a bit cause he was making sure all the guests were happy.
The room was clean and the view was breath taking. sometimes finding a lounge chair was difficult so we spent time in the ocean instead.
if we had one complaint it would be booking the ala carte. My husband would go down at 8 and would sometimes have to wait 20 minutes for the office to open. by then the phone would be ringing off the hook.
we did have a fantastic time and would consider returning in the future...perhaps a big family reunion in 2016.
S, R, S, A and J

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rebecca L
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Dear, Rebecca L

Thank you for the five stars and wonderful comments. I am glad that your overall experience was good and that you will recommend others to stay with us.

Thank you so much for your comments in regards to the great and friendly service provided by our staff. I was especially happy to hear that one of our servers made such a positive impression on you and he along with our entire staff really do try hard to make each guest experience a very special one.

Our hotel is focusing on making our guest feel as warm, comfortable, and connected with us, and we are showing it with your feedback. Thank you again and look forward to seeing you next year.

I would once again like to say GRACIAS for staying with us and here's hoping that we have the opportunity of hosting you in the future!

Kind regards,