“An excellent resort El Cid Castilla Beach Resort Mazatlán Mexico”

El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
Ranked #7 of 78 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Maryland
“An excellent resort El Cid Castilla Beach Resort Mazatlán Mexico”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This winter was brutal on the east coast. In February we got tired of the icy and snow and decided to take a vacation to Mexico. We booked a seven day stay at the El Cid resort. When we arrived we notice El Cid Castilla Beach to be a beautiful resort. The check in process was fast, and the check in clerk was helpful and a pleasure to interact with. The room was modern and spacious. Our room was on the 13 floor and had a large balcony overlooking the ocean. Our room was very quiet we did not hear a sound from other rooms. The internet worked everywhere in the resort.
The resort offers free transportation from the airport; they do this to get an opportunity to sell you a selection of tours. If you agree to attend a presentation they will give you a choice of gifts. The gifts in my opinion are worth the time. The resort offers free transportation to other El Cid resorts. We visited the marina resort and the country club resort. We will probably stay the Marina El Cid on our next trip to experience a different environment. Both the Castilla Beach resort and the Marina El Cid are excellent resorts we my come back every year if our future visits are as good as this vacation.
The resort has a number of restaurants on the property. We ate most of our meals at the resort and were satisfied with the quality of the food. Our favorite restaurant overlooked the ocean; I believe the name is the La Concha . We ate here every day, on a number of days we ate 3 meals at this restaurant. The waiters were very good and courteous. The Beach was beautiful and well maintained. The pools were beautiful, large and well maintained.
There is a Walmart close to the resort. The room we were in has a full kitchen but we did not purchase food to cook ourselves. The next time we come here we will make a trip to Walmart and purchase food to prepare.
We signed up for several tours and we recommend the tours offered by the resort, they are reasonable in cost and very enjoyable. The people who work at this resort are very professional and go out of their way to welcome you and to make sure you enjoy your visit.
The temperature average 82 degrees each day and the sky was clear every day. Over the years we have visited many resorts in the Caribbean islands, Puerto Rico and the Dominion Republics. This resort is an equal to most of the resorts we have visited. We had a great time at this resort; we will come back to this resort many times for our future vacations.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 13 floor and had a large balcony overlooking the ocean.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear intrepid9742,

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to write. Comments such as yours make our day! It’s extremely encouraging when we hear that your service excellences which we are so proud of have made your holiday memorable.

We are proud to offer our guests a selection of quality food items at all our Restaurants…good food and service is critically important to our customers and our Executive Chef does a great job.

It is very refreshing when comments like these are posted about our hotel. It speaks volume about our efforts in accomplishing a quality guest centered service experience. There is little to be added to this guest response other than, thank you.

I appeal to all readers who are still on the fence on deciding where to stay in Mazatlan for their next visit. Stay at El Cid Castilla where you will interact with a friendly, attentive staff that will be willing to cater to your every need.

We would like to host you once again in your next visit to Mazatlan, in one of our 4 hotels of your choice, we will happy to give a warm welcome.

My best,

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My boyfriend is in the military and we decided to go to away after he returned from deployment. He found a deal at El Cid Castilla and it seemed perfect. The pictures looked great. It had an all inclusive package and it was on the beach. I have just returned from the trip and I am sorry to say that the resort is nothing to brag about.

There were some good things that I should mention. First, the staff is extremely welcoming and kind. They remembered our names and always said hello to us. The pools are huge and clean. The activities at the pool are fun. The rooms are spacious. I loved the bathtub and the toiletries that they provided were great quality. They even upgraded us to a room with a king size bed. We both got massages and our therapists were professional and talented.

Unfortunately, there was a lot that disappointed me. When we checked in, the process took over 30 minutes because the front desk had lost our room keys and other check-in materials. They welcomed us to the property but did not orient us to the hotel or all-inclusive amenities. For example, we were never told that we had to make reservations for the dinner restaurants. We were also never told that after we made reservations, we had to pick up our dinner tickets at Customer Service before they closed. We did not find out until our last day at the property that some beach activities (like boogie boarding) was also included in our package. Nobody told us that they had a gym (across the street) and I had to inquire about the spa. Also, the hotel is huge. It took us almost a day to figure out where everything was located.

The food was average. Breakfast was decent and fresh. We loved the pastries. Lunch was just ok. Dinner was terrible. The first night, we went to their sushi restaurant. There was not a large selection of sushi or sashimi to choose from. My rolls reminded me of what I would find at a grocery store. They were fine. I did not get sick. The second night, we went to the Italian restaurant, which was highly recommended by someone at the front desk. The food was horrible. My salad was bitter. Both entrees were recommended highly by our server. I got the stuffed chicken. It was stuffed with ground beef and it was chewy. My boyfriend got the steak and not only was it way undercooked but it tasted horrible. Our sides were cold. We ordered gelato for dessert. It tasted like grocery store ice cream and it was melted. They only serve a rose and a white wine at the Italian place. We wanted to order (and pay for) a bottle of red but our server told us not to do it. Another thing that we found odd was that at both dinner restaurants, they asked us to order all of our food at once. We typically like to have an appetizer or two and then order our salad and then entree. They said we could not do that. We felt rushed. I was so disappointed in the food and the restaurant experience that on our final night, we decided to eat outside of the hotel.

Our rooms were clean and spacious but it was as if the walls were paper thin. We were near the pool and could hear the people and music all day. It finally quieted down after sun set but it was very hard to take naps in the afternoon. At night, we could hear our neighbors on both sides and everyone who walked past our room. The first two nights, I was woken up by a screaming child. The last night, packs of teenagers were screaming in the hallway. Also, while there is air conditioning, it does not work well. I woke up each night, feeling very warm.

We were hoping for a romantic few days to reconnect and relax and overall, we found that hard. Laying out by the pool or the beach was fun but otherwise, we were disappointed. I wish the staff had done a better job of orienting us to the hotel and that the rooms were more comfortable. I would not return to this hotel but I would return to Mazetlan. If you do decide to stay at this resort, I would make sure to read the reviews and get to know the property as soon as you arrive. It will make for a much better experience.

Room Tip: Do not stay by the pool.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julie G
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear, Julie G

I appreciate you taking the time in letting us know about your recent trip we always admire honest feedback which point out to us things that need improvement. I am glad my staff was able to provide such great costumer service to help you feel comfortable. I apologies that you were not informed properly about your all inclusive plan and because of that you missed out on some activities , I will definitely look into this matter and give the proper instruction in how to inform our guest about the package so this does not happen again. In regards to the food rest assure that all of your comments have been shown to our chef and we are working on ways to better improve our food and beverages to fulfill our guest satisfaction. We hope you can reconsider us in a near future and give us another chance to show you our hard efforts in becoming the best we can possibly be.

Kind regards ,

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 June 2014

So, I got here mid-afternoon after driving several hours. I was asked by the Valet parker if i were sure this was the correct hotel. Then the doorman asked me the same thing. and then the guy checking us in said the same thing. The implication was that we were not dressed well enough for this hotel. Finally, the staff was incredulous that we had booked two rooms so that each of us would have their own room--again they seemed incredulous that i could afford the room (i had gotten a great deal on Tripadvisor) The whole idea of this place seems to be to allow people to go to Mexico while remaining wholly isolated from any true experience of the country. The hotel has posted a sign on the steps leading to the (narrow) beach--"Do not purchase handicrafts from people on the beach. They are not warranted by the hotel." Of course much the same 'handicrafts' are available in the lobby stores for 3 times the price--all appear to have been made in Mexican factories. The hotel is completely sterile, which is actually a relief for me--but still a bummer in that it is socially sterile in addition to being clean.
--The AC works Well
--The internet is an additional expense, and there are about 8 different servers available but you can only use one of them...the password is not interchangeable. The internet conks out about every 2-3 minutes.
--I did not try the food, but from the photos it looked like a buffet served at a Vegas Casino--not bad but not very Mexican.
--They push very hard from the start to get you to buy ''extras." They will try to sign you up for the free breakfast --- all you can eat--which turns out to be a pitch to buy condos or time-shares at the El Cid.
Anyway, it was nice to have a clean hotel with clean sheets, puffy pillows and a balcony which allowed in fresh air.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maxwell P
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear, Maxwell P

I appreciate you taking the time to write this review. I am concerned to hear you felt as though our staff judges on appearance it is a big accusation to make, I can assure you the service we give is the same for each and every guest we do not have preferences.

In regards to the comment having to do with the items sold on the beach we put this sign up to notify our guest that we are not held responsible for things that are bought there is a big difference with the items sold on the beach and on our property because we insure that everything sold in our hotel is real silver, and as well as the items sold on the beach we are not held responsible for items purchased however a difference from the beach vendors is that we have the stores in the property where if an items seems to no work or be in its best conditions you have a place to go and possible exchange. Yes the internet does have a charge due to the fact that we have an in house team who is always here to help if anything goes wrong with the service. I wish you would have been able to give our food a try I’m sure you would of really much enjoyed it like the saying goes “you can’t really judge a book by its cover “ meaning you can’t really judge something with our first giving it a try.

I hope in a near future you can reconsider us at a hotel and keep all these things in mind I’m sure your second time around we can give you a different perspective.

My best,

Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My wife and I spent eight nights in the El Cid Castilla Beach. We were there for a wedding and made a vacation out of it as well. The rooms were clean and the location was great. The best thing about our stay was the staff. By far they were the best group of friendly, and fun people we have ever had the pleasure of staying with. Everyone from the ladies that cleaned our room, to the pool and restaurant servers were so polite and loved to joke and have fun with you. We recommend the all inclusive package if you're going to stay more than a few days. It's so worth it. With the all inclusive you can eat at any of the four hotels they own near by. Just hop the shuttle to the Marina, or walk across the street to the County Club. Swim up bars, pool bars and the wait staff serve you on the beach. The massages are fabulous so don't forget to get one, or two... We can't wait to go back again, we had a great time. Thank you El Cid, and especially, Jaime, Luis Enrique, Ramon, Daniel, Margarita, and Zuleyma!

Room Tip: We used Mazatlan Tours for transportation to and from the hotel/airport. They were friendly and prom...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bernieaz57
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dear Bernieaz5,

Wonderful time at el Cid resorts and great review you are giving us.

Thank you very much for let us know your good comments about our staff that you mean like the best group of friendly and fun people you have ever had the pleasure of staying with, we work hard day by day improving our services and this kind of words made us feel we are doing it in the right way.

It is glad to know we have gone beyond your expectations in room cleanliness, kindness, restaurants, pools and spa. I hope not delay in getting back with us.

I send you my best regards and my sincere thanks for your review,

Salvatore Sánchez
wisconsin
Reviewed 28 May 2014

this resort was very nice. the only down side was that the pools were completely blocked off from the beach. we prefer to be able to sit at the pool and look out over the ocean. room was nice and clean, beds comfortable, would have been nice to have 2 chairs on the balcony. food was great, and the nightly shows were fun to watch. most waiters at the pool were great.

Room Tip: we were on the 14th floor, view was great
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ms911jb
Dear ms911jb,

Thank you very much to let us know your review about our services in your past vacations. I felt so glad to know that we met all your expectations in room comfortable, funny shows, great waiters and facilities.

I hope to see you back soon; I know el Cid will be part of one more nice stay.

Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We had fun at El Cid, the rooms where nothing special but we didn't spend a lot of time there. the food was average, I recommend the breakfast. My favorite part of our stay was the night entertainment. Pools were nice,swim up bar. The beach was alright except for the merchants but that's to be expected. Over all for the price this is a fun place to stay, the service was good (we tipped well) it was spring break so there was a party atmosphere that was enjoyable.

Room Tip: get the all inclusive
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Henrik426

Thank you for taking the time in writing about your recent stay. I am glad that overall you found your stay to be very accommodating, although I was a bit uneasy to hear that you felt like our food and rooms ran as average, we work hard to maintain our facilities looking as best they can and I’d like to inform you that we are working on renovation year round to insure that our rooms or in tip top shape I hope that in a future visit you are able to acknowledge these improvements , as far as the food I’m glad you brought this upon my attention so I can further discuss with the chef new ideas to better the food quality. I will defiantly congratulate my staff for the hard labor in being able to provided to you such great service, we hope you visit us again soon.

Best Regards,

Stillwater, Minnesota
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I spent a week at this hotel in Feb. 2014. I booked a tour with Sun Country Airlines. It was one of the best vacations I have been on. The airline service was excellent. The land tour Pronatours was also great. All the staff at the hotel were helpful and did a great job. I was very impressed with the buffet. It was easy to eat healthy if you wanted to. I will be back next year.

Room Tip: The higher the better on a corner.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sawyerpk
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Sawyerpk,

Wonderful words about a great place, I am glad to know that we met all your expectations and that we be part of one of your best vacations you have been on.
I am very happy to know that you enjoy our land tour with all the staff of Pronatours and also the staff of the hotel made their job making you feel served. I definetely will give them a mention for the great job they do day by day.

It is awesome to hear that you found our buffet with healthy food and variety and that all our work hard improving our menus choices for our guests have met your expectations.

I hope to see you back soon and not in a far future. I'm sure el Cid resorts will be part of one more great vacation.

Best Regards,