“Book us for Two Weeks next year”

El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
Ranked #8 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 26 April 2010

We stayed at El Cid Castilla from April 12th to 19th. We are regulars on the AI circuit. Though we did bring our 4 ½ year old son for the first time this year.
Flew with Westjet Vacations direct out of Vancouver. Everything went smoothly. Westjet rep was standing just outside of security and directed us to the bus. No timeshare sharks to be seen. Check-in was smooth, and was upgraded to a tower room 8102. The lower floors on the Castilla have a better balcony in my opinion with regards to safety. The wall is solid and comes up about 3 ½ feet. The higher floors have some gaps and may worry some parents. The info desk asked if we wanted to go to the presentation and we said no firmly and they did not ask us again all week. The resort did not seem overly full which was nice.
Loved the a la carte restaurants. Just dial 3332 on your phone and book your dinners ahead of time. We had no problems getting reservations. We thought the Mexican was the best. Went there for almost every breakfast and two dinners. Never seen Lobster on any other AI menu before. Italian and Argentine were both good as well. We stayed away from the Sushi restaurant because of the reviews we read. The buffet did not look that great but with 3 good a la cartes to pick from we never had to eat there. Had lunch overlooking the beach on the Castilla side a lot. We walked down the beach to Panchos one night and had a great meal there. Also went to Te Amo Lucys downtown and had an amazing lunch of Shrimp Chile Releano’s.
We spent most of days at the Moro pool. Our four year old loved the small water slide and the rocks he could climb by himself. He made many friends around the pool and they would entertain themselves while the parents sunbathed and looked on. The resort we found was extremely child friendly. Nobody seemed to be bothered by having children around. Real mix of people staying there. About ½ Canadians and ¼ Mexican and ¼ American. Lots of seniors and singles as well in the mix with everyone getting along.
Mazatlan seemed very safe. My wife took the Centro bus a few times by herself to the shopping district downtown (in daytime) with no issues at all. Everyone was extremely helpful. We both went to Mayan Massage and had a very relaxing 150 peso one hour massage. We took the Centro bus again to the Stone Island ferry dock and the walked down the beach to Lety’s. There we had my favorite meal of the week. Coconut shrimp with a pineapple salsa. It was so delicious. There were two cruise ships in that day, the beach was busy but not overly crowded.
We went to every nightly show. They were a lot of fun and the dancers are excellent. My four year old begged us to go every night. They have a different cocktail every night at the entrance which was nice. Having a Catholic Mass on Sunday right in the resort was very convenient. One improvement I would suggest would be to have small fridges added to all rooms. We did ask for one to be rolled in but Customer Service said it was not possible.
Yes the resort is not perfect, but you are also not paying Sandals prices either. When talking to a time-share owner on the Moro side, he was told they want to change Moro, Castilla and Granada all too Time Share only suites starting in September and have no more Hotel guests. Also he said they are going to be closing sections of the Moro pool starting in May to have it all retiled like the Castilla side pool.
Don’t drink the bottled water left in the room (they will charge you) the pool bars all have cold bottles to give you. Make your reservations. Tip your waiters and maid. Go to a few outside restaurants for a different feel. Lots of great ones to choose from.
Wife and son loved Castilla so much they now want to book for two weeks next year.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2010

Dear VanAndie

Thank you very much for taking your time to express your appreciation during your current stay at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel.

Your appreciations are very valuable in helping us maintain a high level of service to guests. We are most pleased to learn that you enjoyed the hotel’s service and facilities. Your comments have been passed and recognized on to the staff. I know that they appreciate the recognition that you have given and was always delighted to be at your service.

I certainly hope that your future plans to Mexico include Mazatlan´s El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel and that we will have the opportunity to welcoming you back with warm and gracious Mexican hospitality again.

Mark Covarrubias McKay

Write a ReviewReviews (4,093)

Reviewed 26 April 2010

We just returned from a week stay at El Cid Castilla and I must say it was an extremely positive experience. It was our first all inclusive vacation. The staff were fantastic. They treated you well from the moment you step into the hotel. As we were waiting in a line to check in, refreshments were brought for guests. Service from that moment on was amazing. The staff were so attentive and if they could see that you were needing help, someone would take the initiative to approach you to see if they could be of assistance to you.

The hotel was always clean and the staff seem really happy to work there which indicates that it's well managed. There was a representative on hand on the main floor to book tours if that is what you want. Otherwise, if you just wanted to stay at the resort, you could lounge around the pool or on the beach and staff will come and offer to get you drinks. You never have to get up except to eat! If you don't feel like sitting down at the restaurant, you are permitted to bring your plate to the beach or to the pool area and enjoy your meal there. When you are relaxing on the beach, you will be approached many times by peddlers hawking their wares. Just be polite and say "No, gracias" and most will simply walk away. We kept in mind that these people are just trying to make a living as the average wage for people who live there are about $5 to $15 a day.

One of the hiccups of the trip is when we made reservations at the sushi a la carte restaurant located at the el cid country club three days in advance. The day of the reservation, you need to get a ticket from the information desk to present to the restaurant. We went to retrieve the ticket and we were told that they could not find our reservations. After ten minutes of phone calls and explaining when I made the reservations, we were told that the restaurant would accept us for dinner. The other issue we encountered was when I tried to spend a 500 peso bill that was given to us by the hotel when we exchanged money. I was at a store in the mall and was told they could not accept that bill because it was counterfeit. I returned to the hotel and told them what happened. They checked the bill under black light and used a highlighter to mark the end of the bill and they told us that the bill was authentic. However, he was gracious enough to offer to break that bill into smaller bills if I was more comfortable with that.

In all, I would recommend this place to anyone. You are steps from the beach and ocean, the tours we did were great (we did the Country Tour by Pronatours and Konanahe Boat Tour through El Cid), the swim up bar and bartender were exactly what is needed on a hot day and the staff were consistently helpful and courteous. You get tons of value for your money and the most relaxing vacation you could ask for.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear quincitius

Greetings from Mazatlan, Mexico!

First, thank you for staying with us and your compliments for our hotel and staff.

We will keep our standard of services and improve for more quality to our guests.

Appreciate the time you have taken to write your review and post your pictures. Thank you, and perhaps see you again next time!

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 24 April 2010

We were booked into a poolview room, and were upgraded to oceanfront, which we were very pleased with. We could hop over the balcony and we were on the beach, which we did, and were immediately and enthusiastically greeted by Francisco, who promised to give our family great service. He offered to bring the kids a burger and get some drinks, and served them right to our balcony! Doesn't get much better than that. All the servers and staff were very good and very nice. Thank you to Dago at the front desk, Victor for his very good bell service, Netza and el Capitan Tony ant the El Patio (great job accommodating us!) and the numerous others who provided us with their friendly service.

The hotel is nice, quite clean and has very good pools. We did get out to the Aquarium, which we all enjoyed very much, and took the Stone Island tour, which we made the best of, but we mostly enjoyed our time at the resort.

The room was good, housekeeping well done, and had no real issues with anything. It would have been nice to have a fridge in the room, but we were fine without it. The beds, well, let's just say we were glad to get home to our own beds! We slept fine, though.

The food was good, I enjoyed trying new combinations and I especially enjoyed the healthy juice bar every morning. The El Patio is as good as everone says... fire roasted food is very done very well, and some nice wine there as well.

The entertainment varied... the first evening show we saw had entertainment staff running around the dining room taking shoes off of guests, patrons (male) taking off their shirts, and dancing in a long congo line around the restaurant. They scared my children and my husband and I thought it was all very strange. It ended up with all the people dancing up on stage with a huge pile of shirts and shoes for them to pick through... maybe it just wasn't our thing. The Mexican evening was very enjoyable with very talented entertainers, especilally enjoyed the cowboy with his lasso. The dancers were also very good to watch- very professional. We also enjoyed watching a movie in the evening at the Granada pool, nice touch.

We LOVED our time on the beach. A very beautiful beach that was enjoyable for long walks or runs, very friendly people, and it felt safe and fun. We enjoy beach vendors for the convenience of not having to go out to shop. We had alot of fun shopping from the vendors and made friends with many of them. I know the hotel is not affiliated with the vendors, but I understand that if you invite them to come to you through the rope that is acceptable. On this note I would like to express my distaste for a particular situation where I invited Irma (a reflexologist) to give me a treatment while I was in my loungechair. A man from El Cid, (Pablo, I believe) came over and started giving Irma a very hard time. With my traveller's spanish I tried to express it was ME who asked for Irma to come to my chair and that I was sorry. Pablo was not very courteous and I didn't appreciate the way he handled the situation at all.

I was puzzled about the security. It seemed like anyone (wristband or not) could walk up off the beach and use all the facilities. Seriously, one day an enire family came up off the beach, swam all afternoon, didn't buy anything, and left at suppertime! I wasn't comfortable with that, and found it very unusual and different from any other resort we've visited.

All in all, we really enjoyed our stay at El Cid Castilla and would return again. Thank you for a lovely week of fun and sun!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2010

Dear tropigirl9

We feel gratified when we receive words of encouragement that allows us to reflect even more of how better to personally service our guests. Personal professionalism is a El Cid norm and we are delightedthat we were able to be more than accommodating.

May we sincerely apologize for your experience with security; it will be taken in to account for improvements.

El Cid Resorts considers many forms of “service”, whether it may be maintaining room condition to personal and instinctive service from our staff. We believe “service” is not carried out of obligation, but from the very essence of empathy and kind thought. We thank you for allowing us to contribute to your Mazatlan experience.

We look forward to your arrival and serving you and your family for a most memorable trip. Prior to arrival or during your stay with us, should you have any concerns or questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at your convenience.

Reviewed 24 April 2010

I may be 18 but I have a very professional taste. So if you are looking for a heavily detailed review, I got one right here for you, from the moment off the plane till the bus ride to get back to the airport.

Went to this Resort with friends of ours that had a son and daughter around my age (17,18), so it was great to go with friends. It is most defiantly a nice place to get away and relax and have a great time bartering with Mexican beach vendors.

The plane Ride from Calgary was good and getting to the bus was very easy, that is if you could figure out what bus you were supposed to get on. The bus had the curtains on the windows closed so that we could not see the true colors of mexico as we were going to the resort. Once we arrived at the resort it was late at night and the line was a little long but thats what you get for taking the bus with 40 other people. It is a Canadian favorite. Getting to our room was difficult because the map was hard to make out and there were very little staff around to help show you to where you were supposed to go.

The room was very clean and made to be cooled down easily. Our room over looked the pool with the cliff jump and a beautiful view through palm trees out to the ocean. We found the beds to be a bit hard but we called down and got a foamy put under the covers which helped. TV was decent, then again you arent there for TV. Although it is nice to watch something when going to bed. Bathroom was BEAUTIFUL. we had a Circular tub/shower that was very nice to sit in. Our friends room had a square tub and both looked like they came out of a magazine priced at a good couple hundred bucks. We did not find any bugs, maybe one crawling outside the room on the pavement but that was all. What I found great was if you go down early enough in the morning you could jump off the rock cliff into the water before the waterfall is turned on. makes for a great morning swim.

You did have to rush down in the morning to claim a good spot in the roped off section of the beach if you wanted beach beds. For us since we had a big group (7) having all the chairs together was great. The roped off area is to mark where the vendors can not go unless invited by guests. We would always get front row seats because we loved talking to the vendors and bartering them down. we had two barterers in the group, myself and the father of the other group we were with. All the kids got Henna tatoos for very cheap, however the Henna was not and the artist was very skillet. The henna was actually a dark black and the lemon,sugar sponge that they gave you to help keep it on to stain helped alot. They lasted for 4 weeks after we got home and we got them the 3rd day out of 7 beng there.
There is also Horseback riding on the beach. There are also vendors who like to test the guys on their strength. He had a broom with 3 pounds on the end and you paid him $5=canadian and you would win it back if you could lift it up to your waist from the ground using one hand at the end of the broom stick. Sure made for alot of fun when the big guys with their GF's by their side get showed up by a little old mexican guy.
We found the shopping on the beach the same as the stores and for way cheaper prices. you could not barter in the hotel, so it really is not worth buying anything there. Wait till you go into town to the Market to buy souvenirs. Or Mr. Frog store for fun clothing. (will expand on city trip later)

The waves were absolutely fantastic there and the water was really warm. We could walk out for a good 55-60 yards and the water line was still around 5 ft between waves that is. The ginormous waves made it fantastic for body surfing and boogie boarding. However you could only rent the boogie board 1 hr per person, per day. Luckily having parents along gave us 2 extra hours to play in the water. Some guests did not obey the Hr limit and unfortunatly some days we got not so good boards or they had none at all when we went. but if we went back 20 min later we got some. You could ride the waves all the way into shore and placed nicely on your belly on the sand as the water recedes.

The beginning show was a hoot and holar and was all about making fun of songs and pretty much a mock musical that got the audience involved. The theatre is set up right by the buffet so it is pretty much like a dinner theatre. However it is hard to get drinks during the show and once the show starts is when the buffet staff deside to ditch. (guess they are board of seeing the same thing over and over). The following shows were not worth it we thought and we spent most evenings walking along the beach. The Sunset is absolutly beautiful and since the surrounding resorts are el cid as well we were able to see what their pool was like and area.

The food was alright at the buffet in the morning and for supper. however it was the same thing every time and got boring very quickly. Lunch was served closer to the ocean which was nice, but the food was still cardboard tasting hamburgers and tasteless hot dogs and fries. We were only able to eat at one of the A la Cartes which is just mexican cuisine. It was good food. Nachos and salsa were absolutly fantastic there, and the show for Spanish Coffee is always entertaining. We unfortunatly had a grumpy waiter who did not like us comming in for lunch in bathing suits and T-shirts, so if you go there for lunch make sure you are dry. Supper they expect you to be dressed well in the restraunt.

Luckily if you get board of the food at the resort there is a Fabulous BBQ about 4 blocks down. It is worth the walk down and the taxi ride back. The BBQ place is flat out fun environment and you can write on the walls. (Look for the names: Nathan, Kiera, Kale). It is worth paying extra for and you will be happy you did it. I suggest going on your 3rd or 4th day and one more time again the evening before your last day.

Taxi's are alot of fun in Mazatlan. You should set the price before so you do not get screwed when you arrive. The Taxi drivers are allowed to charge you whatever if you did not define a price before the trip. (*hint, if you forget before, be really nice to the driver) There is local shopping along the strip and the bus/truck is worth the trip cause you sit with locals and other tourists. Beware both the truck and taxi's drive very crazy in Mazatlan, so trust them, they know the roads better than you and they will get you from point A to B the fastest way possible while entertaining you with the history of the area. A bonus to is the Taxi's do not often get customers and they are paid per every trip they make. So if you decide to go into the city via taxi, make friends with the driver and he will wait for you. My mom and I went to the mall, aquarium, and around town with the same driver. He waited two hours at the mall and aquarium for us because he knew he was guaranteed business.

Staff I found were very hit and miss. unfortunately mostly a miss. Having been trained to be a greeter for Calgary stampede and have also taken classes on etiquette in service, and am used to cruise ship atmosphere from being on 2 cruises previously, I was disappointed with some of the staff at El Cid. The maids were very nice and friendly and they enjoyed practicing what little english they knew. however for our friends that was not the same. Their maid had not cleaned their room on a couple of occasions. The store staff did not seem like they wanted to be there and would treat you as if you were just another person checking prices in the store. (which by the way are more expensive for the exact same thing that you can get at the market in the city) The Buffet staff seemed somewhat friendly, however they were poor on re-stocking the buffet. The bartenders were nice if you were nice with your wallet, and same with the waiters in the restaurant.

in summary: The food was so-so, Beach was great, service was ok. Entertainment was on and off, including pool side activities. It is a nice place to stay and take a tour of the area and barter.
The ocean was great during the day but by the time evening came we (me and the other teens) got bored really quickly.
If you got any questions, let me know.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2010

Dear TravelingNate

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your views on Trip Advisor in regards to your recent stay at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel.

We have reviewed your comments both positive and negative with our management team and further actions will be undertaken to avoid repetition of the issues raised. Please know that we take all guest comments seriously as it is a valuable tool to assist us in improving our guest’s satisfaction and standards.

Once again thank you for your constructive comments and we do hope you give us a second chance in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 23 April 2010

Our group of twelve stayed at the El Cid Castilla (after free upgrades from the Granada, woot) and the rooms were clean and the view of the pool/ocean was fantastic. Only downside was the hard beds and no bar in the room. The pools were lots of fun with the slides and jumping cliffs. The ocean was fairly windy the whole time so boogie boarding was definitely a fun challenge! I recommend the zip lining, Deer Island and city tours. We went banana boating, snorkelling, kayaking, played volleyball, and saw close ups of dolphins and sea lions on the island tour. The staff everywhere were awesome, but the people selling stuff on the beach are pretty intense. For the price we paid I would go back in a second. Oh, and the golf course is a must see even if you don't play.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 April 2010

Did my homework, reading reviews and forums. (Search the Mazatlan Forums here for El Cid Castillo, there is a wealth of information)

Encountered VERY standoffish staff at the front desk, and a mix up with the reservation. Was offered an upgrade to a suite at the El Moro; the rooms are apparently nicer but declined wanting to be nearer the pools and buffets and away from the long elevator waits. Pool view rooms are in the low rise section of the hotel. I thought they were nice! Simple, roomy, clean. Marble floors, fresh paint, no bugs. Beds were firm, but we found them very comfortable. Kids were thrilled with the English channels on the TV. There is an ironing board, iron, hair dryer, shampoo, and bar soap. Put the coffee maker and bottled water away, (they will try to charge you anyway) You can get take out coffee at the buffet from 6:30am, and cold bottled water for less at the gift shop.

All inclusive was great for the kids. Easy and flexible. Food and drink was plentiful, varied, and tasty, if different. As fussy as we all are we managed to find something to eat. Was not so impressed with the Al a carte restaurants.

Pools, beaches, tours, staff (with the exception of the front desk) were all great. We felt right at home and had a great stay.

Dear Ah-fah-get-about-it

Thank you for having chosen El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel for your holiday and also for taking the time and trouble to share your views on Trip Advisor.

Constructive criticism, like yours, is of utmost importance and paramount to the quality control of our operation and we would like to thank you for having taken the time to post your concerns. We have noted all your comments and suggestions and please know any constructive criticism by our guests is always welcome and considered.

At the same time we were pleased to know that our staff provided you with excellent customer service.

Once again thank you for your constructive comments and we do hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to our Resort.

Reviewed 23 April 2010

My friends and I stayed for one week in April. I've been to Mazatlan 5 or 6 times before, but never stayed at the Castilla.

We paid for an ocean view room, and got one - on the main floor and RIGHT on the beach! Ocean was maybe 20 steps away. I had a bit of an issue from a safety point. My friends room next door reeked of mould. really really bad and not healthy. We requested to be moved and our request was accommodated immediately. The beds in these rooms were very very hard. Really, I've slept on hard beds before. But we were all sore when we woke up in the mornings. That wasn't so pleasant.

New rooms were on the 8th floor and ocean view. Absolutely lovely. No mould smell. Beds were still on the hard side, but MUCH better than the beds in our first rooms.

My biggest complaint was the lack of fridges in the room. Every other hotel I've stayed in at Mazatlan has had a fridge. This was really inconvenient and unexpected. I would not choose to stay at the Castilla again because of this one factor.

I was also surpised at being charged for the small packet of coffee in the room. I understand that the proceeds go to charity, but still, I've never been charged for this before. Bought my own coffee and water at a convenience store.

I found a lack of security guards on the beach front a bit surprising. Again, every other hotel I've stayed in has had them patrolling, keeping the beach vendors out, etc.

The Mexican Fiesta show was VERY disappointing. Food was just not good. I've seen this show in the past, and the event went on until 10:30 at night. Now the show lasts only 1 hour and was mediocre at best. Value wise - this was a very expensive night at $35U.S. and I would not recommend it. Take the same $ and visit Casa Country. Much better food and entertainment.

One of my friends drank 2 glasses of icewater from the swim up bar one day and got VERY ill. Buy bottled water! At $1.50 per bottle, it's worth it!

Now for the good stuff: the staff were all friendly. Time share ladies left us alone as we weren't travelling with our spouses. Hotel and pool are are very clean.

I would never go all inclusive in Mazatlan. So many good restaurants around at very reasonalbe prices. We only ate at the Castilla twice, and really, it was two times too many.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends

Dear WinnipegBeverley

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and may we wholeheartedly apologize for the less than satisfactory experience. We had truly wished to hear and resolve an experience below par whilst during your stay, as we strive to have our guests leaving feeling refreshed and renewed; we are devastated that we have not succeeded with the service of our staff offered at the time.

Your constructive comments have been sincerely received and have been conveyed to proper channels of management for serious improvements. We truly hope to be awarded another opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Upon arranging your next stay with us, please contact myself at mcovarrubias@elcid.com.mx to ensure you the true El Cid Resorts experience cherished guests such as you deserve. Until then be well.

Kind regards,