“Went for honeymoon”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Nanton, Canada
“Went for honeymoon”
Reviewed 27 April 2010

We really enjoyed our trip to the El Cid. We were there on our honeymoon and received a free upgrade to oceanview when we arrived.

I read all the reviews here before selecting this resort. There were a few negative comments - but really, you have to take them all with a grain of salt. We paid $850 each for AI for a week. It was a great deal! The beach vendors were okay. They are trying to make a living too. We bought some stuff from them and were happy.

The food was good. Not many people realised that there is an a la carte restaurant for breakfast and lunch down by the middle pool. There were only a few people in there each time we dined. I would recommed eating there to get away from the buffet.

The Italian restaurant was our favourite. We went there three times. We are both huge sushi fans....but this restaurant is the only place we would not recommend. The service wasn't the greatest and the food was about the same.

I would also suggest people bring lots of magazines if they lik to read them. I couldn't find anywhere to buy English magazines and I had run out.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay. It's great value, lots of fun and the service is fabulous.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2010
Dear lori6666

Can I just say thank you? Thank you so much for sharing with other travellers.

Congratulations on your marriage! I'm glad we were able to exceed your expectations and create a memorable experience for you and your husband.
We hope to see you again for your anniversary and recommend El Cid to your friends!

I remain at your disposal,

With my very best regards,

Mark Covarrubias McKay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
  • Serbian first
Reviewed 27 April 2010

We stayed for a total of 5 days (all inclusive). Our first time in Mazatlan, it is a beautiful place. El Cid is a nice place except for a few problems. The first was problems with the pool view room we stayed in. We had a light that would flicker on and off (like a strobe light)
very annoying. We called the front desk about it but got no results... we called again the next day and no results. We finally showed a housekeeping maid the problem and it was corrected. The other problem with our room was we could not get on our balcony due to a broken door lock. We called about it and same thing ... no results. It was corrected on the 3rd day. TV was fine until day number 3. For some reason their dish network went down and we received only limited channels.
The beach was nice but after day 2 they had a front loading bulldozer moving sand. It was very noisy and interfered with our relax time. One day it actually was moving sand at our feet just in front of the roped off area. Service was overall good except at one dinner at the Mexican restaurant. We left before receiving our dessert and coffee because we waited so long. Our stay could have been much better.

Dear thaarm

Thank you for choosing El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel and taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

All feedback we receive is taken seriously and those aspects of the property and service that we can directly affect, we will certainly look to improve. Your comments in relation to the light, door lock and the TV in your room have been shared with the maintenance manager and staff so that they may use this as an example to raise and maintain standards consistently.

With regards to the slow service at the Mexican Restaurant, the team will be briefed to emphasize in promptness and efficiency.

thaarm, we appreciate your feedback and always take the opportunity to use guest comments on Tripadvisor as a way to improve both our service and product, once again our apologies for the shortfalls you experienced.

Yours sincerely,

Vancouver BC
Reviewed 26 April 2010

We stayed at El Cid Castilla from April 12th to 19th. We are regulars on the AI circuit. Though we did bring our 4 ½ year old son for the first time this year.
Flew with Westjet Vacations direct out of Vancouver. Everything went smoothly. Westjet rep was standing just outside of security and directed us to the bus. No timeshare sharks to be seen. Check-in was smooth, and was upgraded to a tower room 8102. The lower floors on the Castilla have a better balcony in my opinion with regards to safety. The wall is solid and comes up about 3 ½ feet. The higher floors have some gaps and may worry some parents. The info desk asked if we wanted to go to the presentation and we said no firmly and they did not ask us again all week. The resort did not seem overly full which was nice.
Loved the a la carte restaurants. Just dial 3332 on your phone and book your dinners ahead of time. We had no problems getting reservations. We thought the Mexican was the best. Went there for almost every breakfast and two dinners. Never seen Lobster on any other AI menu before. Italian and Argentine were both good as well. We stayed away from the Sushi restaurant because of the reviews we read. The buffet did not look that great but with 3 good a la cartes to pick from we never had to eat there. Had lunch overlooking the beach on the Castilla side a lot. We walked down the beach to Panchos one night and had a great meal there. Also went to Te Amo Lucys downtown and had an amazing lunch of Shrimp Chile Releano’s.
We spent most of days at the Moro pool. Our four year old loved the small water slide and the rocks he could climb by himself. He made many friends around the pool and they would entertain themselves while the parents sunbathed and looked on. The resort we found was extremely child friendly. Nobody seemed to be bothered by having children around. Real mix of people staying there. About ½ Canadians and ¼ Mexican and ¼ American. Lots of seniors and singles as well in the mix with everyone getting along.
Mazatlan seemed very safe. My wife took the Centro bus a few times by herself to the shopping district downtown (in daytime) with no issues at all. Everyone was extremely helpful. We both went to Mayan Massage and had a very relaxing 150 peso one hour massage. We took the Centro bus again to the Stone Island ferry dock and the walked down the beach to Lety’s. There we had my favorite meal of the week. Coconut shrimp with a pineapple salsa. It was so delicious. There were two cruise ships in that day, the beach was busy but not overly crowded.
We went to every nightly show. They were a lot of fun and the dancers are excellent. My four year old begged us to go every night. They have a different cocktail every night at the entrance which was nice. Having a Catholic Mass on Sunday right in the resort was very convenient. One improvement I would suggest would be to have small fridges added to all rooms. We did ask for one to be rolled in but Customer Service said it was not possible.
Yes the resort is not perfect, but you are also not paying Sandals prices either. When talking to a time-share owner on the Moro side, he was told they want to change Moro, Castilla and Granada all too Time Share only suites starting in September and have no more Hotel guests. Also he said they are going to be closing sections of the Moro pool starting in May to have it all retiled like the Castilla side pool.
Don’t drink the bottled water left in the room (they will charge you) the pool bars all have cold bottles to give you. Make your reservations. Tip your waiters and maid. Go to a few outside restaurants for a different feel. Lots of great ones to choose from.
Wife and son loved Castilla so much they now want to book for two weeks next year.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Dear VanAndie

Thank you very much for taking your time to express your appreciation during your current stay at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel.

Your appreciations are very valuable in helping us maintain a high level of service to guests. We are most pleased to learn that you enjoyed the hotel’s service and facilities. Your comments have been passed and recognized on to the staff. I know that they appreciate the recognition that you have given and was always delighted to be at your service.

I certainly hope that your future plans to Mexico include Mazatlan´s El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel and that we will have the opportunity to welcoming you back with warm and gracious Mexican hospitality again.

Best regards,

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2010

We just returned from a week stay at El Cid Castilla and I must say it was an extremely positive experience. It was our first all inclusive vacation. The staff were fantastic. They treated you well from the moment you step into the hotel. As we were waiting in a line to check in, refreshments were brought for guests. Service from that moment on was amazing. The staff were so attentive and if they could see that you were needing help, someone would take the initiative to approach you to see if they could be of assistance to you.

The hotel was always clean and the staff seem really happy to work there which indicates that it's well managed. There was a representative on hand on the main floor to book tours if that is what you want. Otherwise, if you just wanted to stay at the resort, you could lounge around the pool or on the beach and staff will come and offer to get you drinks. You never have to get up except to eat! If you don't feel like sitting down at the restaurant, you are permitted to bring your plate to the beach or to the pool area and enjoy your meal there. When you are relaxing on the beach, you will be approached many times by peddlers hawking their wares. Just be polite and say "No, gracias" and most will simply walk away. We kept in mind that these people are just trying to make a living as the average wage for people who live there are about $5 to $15 a day.

One of the hiccups of the trip is when we made reservations at the sushi a la carte restaurant located at the el cid country club three days in advance. The day of the reservation, you need to get a ticket from the information desk to present to the restaurant. We went to retrieve the ticket and we were told that they could not find our reservations. After ten minutes of phone calls and explaining when I made the reservations, we were told that the restaurant would accept us for dinner. The other issue we encountered was when I tried to spend a 500 peso bill that was given to us by the hotel when we exchanged money. I was at a store in the mall and was told they could not accept that bill because it was counterfeit. I returned to the hotel and told them what happened. They checked the bill under black light and used a highlighter to mark the end of the bill and they told us that the bill was authentic. However, he was gracious enough to offer to break that bill into smaller bills if I was more comfortable with that.

In all, I would recommend this place to anyone. You are steps from the beach and ocean, the tours we did were great (we did the Country Tour by Pronatours and Konanahe Boat Tour through El Cid), the swim up bar and bartender were exactly what is needed on a hot day and the staff were consistently helpful and courteous. You get tons of value for your money and the most relaxing vacation you could ask for.

Dear quincitius

Greetings from Mazatlan, Mexico!

First, thank you for staying with us and your compliments for our hotel and staff.

We will keep our standard of services and improve for more quality to our guests.

Appreciate the time you have taken to write your review and post your pictures. Thank you, and perhaps see you again next time!

Sincerely yours,

saskatoon saskatchewan canada
Reviewed 24 April 2010

We were booked into a poolview room, and were upgraded to oceanfront, which we were very pleased with. We could hop over the balcony and we were on the beach, which we did, and were immediately and enthusiastically greeted by Francisco, who promised to give our family great service. He offered to bring the kids a burger and get some drinks, and served them right to our balcony! Doesn't get much better than that. All the servers and staff were very good and very nice. Thank you to Dago at the front desk, Victor for his very good bell service, Netza and el Capitan Tony ant the El Patio (great job accommodating us!) and the numerous others who provided us with their friendly service.

The hotel is nice, quite clean and has very good pools. We did get out to the Aquarium, which we all enjoyed very much, and took the Stone Island tour, which we made the best of, but we mostly enjoyed our time at the resort.

The room was good, housekeeping well done, and had no real issues with anything. It would have been nice to have a fridge in the room, but we were fine without it. The beds, well, let's just say we were glad to get home to our own beds! We slept fine, though.

The food was good, I enjoyed trying new combinations and I especially enjoyed the healthy juice bar every morning. The El Patio is as good as everone says... fire roasted food is very done very well, and some nice wine there as well.

The entertainment varied... the first evening show we saw had entertainment staff running around the dining room taking shoes off of guests, patrons (male) taking off their shirts, and dancing in a long congo line around the restaurant. They scared my children and my husband and I thought it was all very strange. It ended up with all the people dancing up on stage with a huge pile of shirts and shoes for them to pick through... maybe it just wasn't our thing. The Mexican evening was very enjoyable with very talented entertainers, especilally enjoyed the cowboy with his lasso. The dancers were also very good to watch- very professional. We also enjoyed watching a movie in the evening at the Granada pool, nice touch.

We LOVED our time on the beach. A very beautiful beach that was enjoyable for long walks or runs, very friendly people, and it felt safe and fun. We enjoy beach vendors for the convenience of not having to go out to shop. We had alot of fun shopping from the vendors and made friends with many of them. I know the hotel is not affiliated with the vendors, but I understand that if you invite them to come to you through the rope that is acceptable. On this note I would like to express my distaste for a particular situation where I invited Irma (a reflexologist) to give me a treatment while I was in my loungechair. A man from El Cid, (Pablo, I believe) came over and started giving Irma a very hard time. With my traveller's spanish I tried to express it was ME who asked for Irma to come to my chair and that I was sorry. Pablo was not very courteous and I didn't appreciate the way he handled the situation at all.

I was puzzled about the security. It seemed like anyone (wristband or not) could walk up off the beach and use all the facilities. Seriously, one day an enire family came up off the beach, swam all afternoon, didn't buy anything, and left at suppertime! I wasn't comfortable with that, and found it very unusual and different from any other resort we've visited.

All in all, we really enjoyed our stay at El Cid Castilla and would return again. Thank you for a lovely week of fun and sun!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2010
Dear tropigirl9

We feel gratified when we receive words of encouragement that allows us to reflect even more of how better to personally service our guests. Personal professionalism is a El Cid norm and we are delightedthat we were able to be more than accommodating.

May we sincerely apologize for your experience with security; it will be taken in to account for improvements.

El Cid Resorts considers many forms of “service”, whether it may be maintaining room condition to personal and instinctive service from our staff. We believe “service” is not carried out of obligation, but from the very essence of empathy and kind thought. We thank you for allowing us to contribute to your Mazatlan experience.

We look forward to your arrival and serving you and your family for a most memorable trip. Prior to arrival or during your stay with us, should you have any concerns or questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at your convenience.

Best regards,

Alberta
Reviewed 24 April 2010

I may be 18 but I have a very professional taste. So if you are looking for a heavily detailed review, I got one right here for you, from the moment off the plane till the bus ride to get back to the airport.

Went to this Resort with friends of ours that had a son and daughter around my age (17,18), so it was great to go with friends. It is most defiantly a nice place to get away and relax and have a great time bartering with Mexican beach vendors.

The plane Ride from Calgary was good and getting to the bus was very easy, that is if you could figure out what bus you were supposed to get on. The bus had the curtains on the windows closed so that we could not see the true colors of mexico as we were going to the resort. Once we arrived at the resort it was late at night and the line was a little long but thats what you get for taking the bus with 40 other people. It is a Canadian favorite. Getting to our room was difficult because the map was hard to make out and there were very little staff around to help show you to where you were supposed to go.

The room was very clean and made to be cooled down easily. Our room over looked the pool with the cliff jump and a beautiful view through palm trees out to the ocean. We found the beds to be a bit hard but we called down and got a foamy put under the covers which helped. TV was decent, then again you arent there for TV. Although it is nice to watch something when going to bed. Bathroom was BEAUTIFUL. we had a Circular tub/shower that was very nice to sit in. Our friends room had a square tub and both looked like they came out of a magazine priced at a good couple hundred bucks. We did not find any bugs, maybe one crawling outside the room on the pavement but that was all. What I found great was if you go down early enough in the morning you could jump off the rock cliff into the water before the waterfall is turned on. makes for a great morning swim.

You did have to rush down in the morning to claim a good spot in the roped off section of the beach if you wanted beach beds. For us since we had a big group (7) having all the chairs together was great. The roped off area is to mark where the vendors can not go unless invited by guests. We would always get front row seats because we loved talking to the vendors and bartering them down. we had two barterers in the group, myself and the father of the other group we were with. All the kids got Henna tatoos for very cheap, however the Henna was not and the artist was very skillet. The henna was actually a dark black and the lemon,sugar sponge that they gave you to help keep it on to stain helped alot. They lasted for 4 weeks after we got home and we got them the 3rd day out of 7 beng there.
There is also Horseback riding on the beach. There are also vendors who like to test the guys on their strength. He had a broom with 3 pounds on the end and you paid him $5=canadian and you would win it back if you could lift it up to your waist from the ground using one hand at the end of the broom stick. Sure made for alot of fun when the big guys with their GF's by their side get showed up by a little old mexican guy.
We found the shopping on the beach the same as the stores and for way cheaper prices. you could not barter in the hotel, so it really is not worth buying anything there. Wait till you go into town to the Market to buy souvenirs. Or Mr. Frog store for fun clothing. (will expand on city trip later)

The waves were absolutely fantastic there and the water was really warm. We could walk out for a good 55-60 yards and the water line was still around 5 ft between waves that is. The ginormous waves made it fantastic for body surfing and boogie boarding. However you could only rent the boogie board 1 hr per person, per day. Luckily having parents along gave us 2 extra hours to play in the water. Some guests did not obey the Hr limit and unfortunatly some days we got not so good boards or they had none at all when we went. but if we went back 20 min later we got some. You could ride the waves all the way into shore and placed nicely on your belly on the sand as the water recedes.

The beginning show was a hoot and holar and was all about making fun of songs and pretty much a mock musical that got the audience involved. The theatre is set up right by the buffet so it is pretty much like a dinner theatre. However it is hard to get drinks during the show and once the show starts is when the buffet staff deside to ditch. (guess they are board of seeing the same thing over and over). The following shows were not worth it we thought and we spent most evenings walking along the beach. The Sunset is absolutly beautiful and since the surrounding resorts are el cid as well we were able to see what their pool was like and area.

The food was alright at the buffet in the morning and for supper. however it was the same thing every time and got boring very quickly. Lunch was served closer to the ocean which was nice, but the food was still cardboard tasting hamburgers and tasteless hot dogs and fries. We were only able to eat at one of the A la Cartes which is just mexican cuisine. It was good food. Nachos and salsa were absolutly fantastic there, and the show for Spanish Coffee is always entertaining. We unfortunatly had a grumpy waiter who did not like us comming in for lunch in bathing suits and T-shirts, so if you go there for lunch make sure you are dry. Supper they expect you to be dressed well in the restraunt.

Luckily if you get board of the food at the resort there is a Fabulous BBQ about 4 blocks down. It is worth the walk down and the taxi ride back. The BBQ place is flat out fun environment and you can write on the walls. (Look for the names: Nathan, Kiera, Kale). It is worth paying extra for and you will be happy you did it. I suggest going on your 3rd or 4th day and one more time again the evening before your last day.

Taxi's are alot of fun in Mazatlan. You should set the price before so you do not get screwed when you arrive. The Taxi drivers are allowed to charge you whatever if you did not define a price before the trip. (*hint, if you forget before, be really nice to the driver) There is local shopping along the strip and the bus/truck is worth the trip cause you sit with locals and other tourists. Beware both the truck and taxi's drive very crazy in Mazatlan, so trust them, they know the roads better than you and they will get you from point A to B the fastest way possible while entertaining you with the history of the area. A bonus to is the Taxi's do not often get customers and they are paid per every trip they make. So if you decide to go into the city via taxi, make friends with the driver and he will wait for you. My mom and I went to the mall, aquarium, and around town with the same driver. He waited two hours at the mall and aquarium for us because he knew he was guaranteed business.

Staff I found were very hit and miss. unfortunately mostly a miss. Having been trained to be a greeter for Calgary stampede and have also taken classes on etiquette in service, and am used to cruise ship atmosphere from being on 2 cruises previously, I was disappointed with some of the staff at El Cid. The maids were very nice and friendly and they enjoyed practicing what little english they knew. however for our friends that was not the same. Their maid had not cleaned their room on a couple of occasions. The store staff did not seem like they wanted to be there and would treat you as if you were just another person checking prices in the store. (which by the way are more expensive for the exact same thing that you can get at the market in the city) The Buffet staff seemed somewhat friendly, however they were poor on re-stocking the buffet. The bartenders were nice if you were nice with your wallet, and same with the waiters in the restaurant.

in summary: The food was so-so, Beach was great, service was ok. Entertainment was on and off, including pool side activities. It is a nice place to stay and take a tour of the area and barter.
The ocean was great during the day but by the time evening came we (me and the other teens) got bored really quickly.
If you got any questions, let me know.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2010
Dear TravelingNate

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your views on Trip Advisor in regards to your recent stay at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel.

We have reviewed your comments both positive and negative with our management team and further actions will be undertaken to avoid repetition of the issues raised. Please know that we take all guest comments seriously as it is a valuable tool to assist us in improving our guest’s satisfaction and standards.

Once again thank you for your constructive comments and we do hope you give us a second chance in the near future.

Kind regards,

Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2010

Our group of twelve stayed at the El Cid Castilla (after free upgrades from the Granada, woot) and the rooms were clean and the view of the pool/ocean was fantastic. Only downside was the hard beds and no bar in the room. The pools were lots of fun with the slides and jumping cliffs. The ocean was fairly windy the whole time so boogie boarding was definitely a fun challenge! I recommend the zip lining, Deer Island and city tours. We went banana boating, snorkelling, kayaking, played volleyball, and saw close ups of dolphins and sea lions on the island tour. The staff everywhere were awesome, but the people selling stuff on the beach are pretty intense. For the price we paid I would go back in a second. Oh, and the golf course is a must see even if you don't play.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends