El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
Ranked #7 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 7 February 2011

This was our fourth stay at the Mazatlan El Cid Castilla. It nevers ceases to amaze me the quality of your staff at the El Cid. I would like to make special mention of three employees. Magaritta at the towel booth, Martin in the pool side bar and Angelita at the restaurant. These three staff members went out of their way to help make our stay enjoyable. All three always had time to say hello and have a conversation in my limited Spanish. I'll be back again next year and as always will recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,816)

Reviewed 6 February 2011

We stayed at El Cid Castilla for one week as part of an all inclusive package. The staff made our stay very enjoyable. We especially appreciated the waiters at the pool bar - Francisco Renteria in particular - and the waiters in the Pergola Restaurant . They really cared that we were having a good time and were well looked after. There was lots of choice in food and drinks.

1  Thank 154914Anita
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2011

Dear 154914Anita

I am glad you enjoyed your experience at this your resort and found the staff helpful. Your comments are highly appreciated and represent a great factor of motivation for us to continue in our mission to take good care of our guests and to make them feel at home. Your review will be shared with our team and we shall especially forward your commendations to Francisco and the waiters at La Pergola.

Again, thank you for your encouraging remarks and we look forward to host you soon.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 3 February 2011

I would like to recommend to you our waiter at the pool / bar. His name is Francisco Renteria. He will give you great service and lots of entertainment.

1  Thank Ferne83411
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2011

Dear: Ferne83411

We deeply appreciate your positive review and comments about Francisco Renteria, he will receive your congratulations. We are very proud to have people like Francisco working for the Cid Resorts.

We look forward to welcoming you back to this your Resort in the near future.

Reviewed 2 February 2011

We have just returned from our third visit to El Cid Castilla. We enjoyed every minute of the trip. The meals in the a la carte restaurants were delicious. Any problems with meals or service were quickly resolved to our satisfaction. Thank you, Jaimee, for your concern. Also kudos to Danny, Gabriel, and Hugo.

The poolside service was very good. Thank you Patrick, Thomas and Adrian. The ladies who swept poolside and maintained the washrooms were thorough. The grounds are very clean and tidy.

We thoroughly enjoyed the lobby bar sharing many laughs with Hermes and Leticia. They remembered us from our previous 2 years.

We find the location of El Cid to be excellent for any exploring or shopping we may have in mind. The bus service is very convenient and frequent. We used the bus to visit the downtown market and Cathedral. We also bused to the Cruise Ship terminal where we could have hopped on the water taxi to Stone Island for 25 pesos or hiked up to the lighthouse. All of this for 9 pesos each on the bus!

The beach at El Cid is beautiful! Although the vendors can be a bit of a nuisance they are generally not too bothersome.

We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and hope to return next year. Thanks to everyone at El Cid.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2011

Dear Sparkletooth

On behalf of all the staff at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, thank you so much for your loyalty and for this nice review.

I am happy to read that once more you had a great stay with us. Your recognition of our colleagues is greatly appreciated and very warmly received. I take much pleasure in recognizing our team members for their genuine care and attention towards ensuring your stay is exceptional in everyway.

We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of serve you again. It will be a pleasure assists you in any assistance you may need for your next trip to Mazatlan.

My best regards,

Reviewed 1 February 2011

Before I start my review I wanted to let other travelers know that that Mazatlan is safe, despite what you may have heard or read. Just stick to safer areas as you would do in your own home town. your gonna love it!!
We stayed Jan 19-29 because of a great deal through our travel agent (Thanx Barb!). We thought we booked a Ocean veiw King, upon looking closer at our itenerary, we did not. It took 2 days until a king room #7101 came up but well worth the wait, it was giaint corner room with a big square bathtub/shower.The room was incredibly clean! I'm a bit of a clean freak and can usually find something to clean in my room, not this time, it was pristene! I can't thank the front desk personelle enough for calling at 7 O'clock at night to ask if we were ready to move, then sending a bellboy up to help (Thanx Gaby!) Don't get me wrong , there was nothing wrong with the double room, we just wanted all the comforts of home.Our friends were in the pool view rooms, which were quite a bit smaller, but very clean and comfortable.
Although the beach is nice and big, we are pool people and spent alot of time between the Castilla pool & El Moro pool. But if a quite pool is what your after the Granada pool is what you want. It is small and no music or bar (A good "Hangover spot".) You will have to bring your towel from the Castilla and a big mug (from home). They will fill it with whatever you want from the Lobby bar. There is no shortage of beach chairs at any of the pools or beach. I always seen empty ones.
We did go on the El Moro time share , (Which is absolutely beautiful!!) and are considering buying into, as we plan on returning to El Cid next Christmas. Our free gifts included a bottle of tequilla,$100 Hotel gift certicates, 2 t-shirts & 2 tours, Stone Island and City tour. We have done other Time Shares, but never had one as professionally and by such a nice person , Thank-you Sandra, you are an asset to the El Cid. Also I have to mention the ladies at the concierge desk , they helped us soooo much with ANY question we had regarding Mazatlan, as we have never been there before, we had alot!
The lobby bar, which is quite big, is where we met alot of wonderful people. There is no line ups for drinks, as the bar staff is VERY efficient, we never had empty glasses. The same goes for the waiters at the pools, especially Frederico (I hope I got his name right). I know the El Cid must be treating their employees right to have such a well mannered, happy bunch working for them. Put it this way , I usually don't get to know the staff this well, nevermind there names!
One thing that made my stay memorable was when I called down for a 7:30am wake up call, I woke up at 7:15 myself, took the phone off the hook as to not awake the sleeping husband, he didn't need to get up until 8. At 7:33 there was a knock at the door, "It's your wake up call, I think your phone is off the hook." I have never got such good treatmeant at ANY hotel I have ever stayed at !!!! They really took good care of us.
Our favorite restaraunt was the Mexican for breakfast , lunch, and dinners. The Argentinian was also very good. Our least favorite was the Italian, although others said they liked it. You can always find something you like at the buffet, they serve beef, fish, chicken and pork dishes at every dinner. I'm a bit of a picky eater, but always found something to nosh on. The best thing for me at the breakfast buffet was indeed the Omlettes, yum, yum, yum! We never ate at the Steak house, it is NOT included in your all inclusive package, $20.00 per person. Also El Moro restaraunts are not included. Senor Frogs is attached to the Castilla but not part of the hotel, a fun place to take the family!
If I was to complain about anything, it would be the All Inclusive on the last day. A.I's usually give you a dated card that you flash to wait staff to receive privlages after your bracelets are cut off, so basically you are expected to pay cash for every thing after Check out, eventhough you paid for 10 days you technicaly only get 9. Our flight out wasn't until 7pm, therefore were expected to pay from 12 noon to 4pm. The thing was ,we never got to the hotel on day 1 until 6:30pm, so there was 1/2 a day we paid for that wasn't receieved. I think if the hotel improved on this tiny item, we would have nothing to complain about.
In closing, overall it was the one of the best vacations we've ever experinced. Thank-you El Cid, see you in December!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2011

Dear EdmontonGottago

Thank you for your positive review. I am so glad to hear that your stay with us was an enjoyable one. It is gratifying to know that we have met all your expectations. Guest´s reviews are very important to us; they help us to understand guest´s needs. We learn where our services are appropriate and appreciated, and also where we can make improvements.

We look forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel.

Receive my best regards,

Reviewed 1 February 2011

Just returned from two weeks,third visit and not dissapointed.Everyone has different expectations and they certainly met ours.Good value for money,centrally located,very good staff.Certain staff members consistently good year over year.Hermes and Leticia in the lobby bar,Humberto,Antonio in LaCascada and Adrian around the pool.There was one who shamelessly promoted himself at the pool but easy to see through.Every hotel does its best,will have miscues from time to time but how they recover/make things right says much about the organization.Our thanks to Jaimee(food and beverage manager)for his extra attention on a meal miscue.Until next year Adios.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank wayman851

Dear wayman851

Thanks so much for your positive feedback , it is really pleasant to us, to read that you had a memorable stay.
We are very proud of Hermes, Leticia, Humberto and Antonio, all of them have received a huge applause for their consistently great job, your comments about their amazing attitude and service make them earn it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your home El Cid Castilla.

Best Regards!

Reviewed 1 February 2011

We stayed at the Castilla from Jan. 21 through the 27th. The food had more flavor than at the other all inclusives that we have stayed at on our 5 trips to Mexico. From what we saw we were very pleased with our room at the Castilla over the other El Cid properties. The endless beach and beautiful sunsets where priceless. Enjoy your trip and remember to book the speciality restaurants. Tip the staff, they deserve it!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2011

Dear PMTime

Thank you so much for your comments in regards to the great stay you had at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel. Our hotel is focuses on making our guest feel as warm and comfortable with us, and we are showing it with your feedback.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you soon.

All the best,