“24th floor bird's eye view of the beach and Pacific”

El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel
Ranked #6 of 78 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Cd'A, Id.
“24th floor bird's eye view of the beach and Pacific”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

When the parasails pop straight up, the view is eye-level at times. The sunsets here are incredible. Our room and the restaurants were very nice. Especially wonderful were the made to order omelets and French toast. Thank you Francisco and Rosie for a job well done at the breakfast buffet. Thank you also to Veronica and Sr. Guillermo at the business desks. Lastly, special thanks to Freddie, the golf and excursion concierge who arranged great trips for us. Our stay with you all was thoroughly enjoyable and the people of Mazatlan were quite hospitable. We will be back in 2 years, God willing. My only request would be that you open the Grutto (hot tub) around 7:00 AM so that people could get an earlier start on a day, and so that day would last longer. Thank you.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear, JoeVandal

I would like to thank you for your wonderful comments with regards to your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure to note how much you enjoyed your vacation and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for trust. We appreciate all feedback; but, especially enjoy reading about the great experiences we help make in Mazatlan. I am also glad you found the restaurants and service there to your standards as we work very hard and take pride in ensuring that all our guest feels like home. We will pass along your wonderful experience to our employees as a job well done.

We will always welcome the opportunity to be of service and look forward to welcoming you back at El Cid Moro once again.

Cordially,

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
Idaho
Reviewed 23 March 2014

To say that some members of the El Cid staff have become close friends is an understatement. Many of them we hold in our hearts like family members.

Rosie Morales and the front desk are a pleasure to see and deal with on a daily basis. All arrangements and perfections of our stay would not be accomplished without Rosie’s above and beyond services.

A special recognition to the Captains and their restaurant staff who always go the extra step. A majority of the waiters have become very good friends. Their services go beyond just the norm. Ramon (Tigre) and Luis in La Concha always made a special effort every morning to accommodate with a smile, whether our waiter or not. Always a thank you for the attention received from all the beach and poolside staff. Names are too many to many to list, but special thanks to Rodolfo, Thomas, Ignacio, Roman, Angel, Jorge, and Carlos (bartender). Our relationship is well past the server/customer.

To Leticia in Cid’s Club, you have made our children’s stay beyond a vacation. You have become like a second mother to them throughout our lengthy stays at the resort. You do a phenomenal job with our children while treating them like your own.

Always a pleasure to see the Activities crew and lifeguards and how they watch out for and involve our children throughout the day.

Last and but not least, we have the dancers to thank for taking our stay to a new level. You have given us a whole new family. Tury was gracious enough to include our children, for the last two years, in his program. My daughter, who is a dancer, has been given the chance of a lifetime to dance with professional dancers during their regular performances. Whether it was spending the afternoons at practice, Nadia braiding her hair, to Julio doing her makeup, Perla painting her nails or Karen who developed an extraordinary relationship. The attention my family receives, is upmost above and beyond their daily duties. It was a real treat to have Tury, Julio, Perla, Karen, Brenda, and Mariano take extra time to make us feel like family. Tury and the dancers do an amazing job of entertaining every night. You can tell each one enjoys their work by their performance. The nightly shows are a wonderful conclusion to spectacular days.

Salvador, thank you for always taking the time to chat on a regular basis. Your hard work and efforts throughout the resort do not go unnoticed.

Leaving these family members each year has become our one and only complaint of our vacation. We count down the days of our return to our El Cid family.

Paul & Jaime

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Greetings from the warm beaches of Mazatlan,

How great to hear that you had such a wonderful time and honored that you consider us as part of your family I am left without words. It was my pleasure to have been able to meet such wonderful people like yourselves I always try to interact with my guest as much as possible I think it’s something very important. I’m glad that a big part of your happiness was the service my fellow staff members gave. Ramon,Luis,Thomas, Ignacio, Roman, Angel, Jorge, Carlos to name a few and the rest of the staff your previously mentioned will be congratulated for going above and beyond to provide such outstanding service. I am glad you were so fond of our nightly shows the dancer work really hard to give the best performance each and every night and recognition is always nice to hear and motivate. I hope you keep coming back to visit us here at your home away from home.

Warm regards,
Centralia
Reviewed 22 March 2014

First time on the West coast of Mexico and we loved Mazatlan and ElCId. Great service. LOved Breakfast at La Cocha. ROsie makes the best Omelets. THe wait staff was so great. Remembered you and your drink. We stayed in the Annex and although had not been remodeled yet it was really nice and close to "our" pool. Cant wait to go back next year and take our family. Had a wonderful Massage at the spa. THe all inclusive is the way to go.

Room Tip: Our room was chosen for us and the annex was quiet, but the main tower offered other options for fam...
Dear, curlyblon…

I want to express my thanks for you nice words in your recent contribution of our Hotel.
I´m happy o read that you received such a wonderful service from our staff and they care of each detail as your favorite drink, also for your great mention to rosy as well.

We keep working on improvements, and I hope the next time you visit El Cid can see the different, we look forward to you and your family back in a not too distance future.

My best,

Ladysmith, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

We have just finished a magical holiday at the el CID Moro towers. So many people contributed to our amazing adventure. Roberto at the Castilla pool bar provided excellent service, always with a smile and a pizazz all his own. We enjoyed Many meals at the La Concha restaurant, there, As always, Ramon R charmed us with his warmth and always superior service. The lovely hostess Pamela was both helpful and charming and Rosalea our housekeeper went out of her way to accommodate and entertain us so many wonderful employees .. Too many to mention, contributed to the magic. Counting down to next year!Thank you one and all!
Congrats to el CID for recognizing Christian's efforts as an entertainment director by promoting him to the Marina hotel, even tho we did miss him around the pools

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Josephine D
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Josepine D

I am left speechless. I am so glad you had such a wonderful time and that we were able to provided for you unforgettable vacations. We pride ourselves in always bring service with a smile quick and efficiently. I will definitely let my staff know about your kind remarks I am sure they will be filled with joy to hear about their hard efforts and strive them into keeping up the good work! We can’t wait to have you stay with us again we await with open arms!

Warm Regards,
Salvatore Sanchez,
Michigan
Reviewed 12 March 2014

This is a beautiful resort hotel, right on the beach. It seemed that almost every room had a view of the ocean. If you're looking for a great place to sleep whilst spending your days at the pool or beach - this is it, look no further.

The restaurants were good. It has an all inclusive option that isn't bad - if you get a reduced rate (more on this later) - and breakfast on the patio at the buffet was a splendid way to start the day.

The pools were nice, but odd. There is one big central pool that is heated, which has the jumping area for those inclined to dive or bellyflop, and a kids pool which oddly enough houses the swim up bar (huh?). There are two other pools, one was noisy and crowded while we were there and the other had a hot tub and large pool, but was almost always shaded and therefore very quiet and empty! There are constant activities at the main pool -- stretching, yoga, bingo, dart contests, beer drinking contests, etc. So, either tune this out, or go find a spot of sun near the quiet pool, or go to the beach.

Speaking of the beach, it is nice -- not a broad and soft and sandy as those you find on the Yucatan, but nice. There is the constant interruption of the local salespeople -- silver jewelry and hats seemed to be the main items for sale -- but the hotel has put up a rope fence to keep them from sitting next to your lounger. All in all, we liked the beach for our daily walks, and a brief dunk, and did our swimming in the heated pool.

Now to the less complimentary comments:

The room was really old. At some point they added a small flat screen tv but that was the extent of the upgrading. The beds were lumpy (but nice sheets). Lighting made no sense -- two lights between the bed never could be turned on, the room always seemed dark. The ceiling fan either was on or off -- the speed control didn't work. The AC was also either full bore or off. Odd stuff. The water pressure was good, but the temperature would fluctuate often and by large margins, going from cold to way too hot in moments -- made for exciting showers!

Now, here's the scoop on the timeshare thing... yes, the El Cid property is partially a points based timeshare resort, so you will get hit multiple times to attend a presentation. Here is how to handle that...

First, when you make your reservation, ask for complementary airport transfer to the property. They will give this to you, so that they can sign you up for a timeshare presentation. That's good, at least you will get a free ride from the airport, even if you turn down the presentation. But in my humble opinion, you should do the presentation. Why? First, a nice free breakfast buffet. Second, other freebees - they will offer you some tours etc, but you can negotiate what you want. So, I would ask for a tour to Deer Island, a free return transfer to the airport when you leave, free Mexican fiesta and reduced price on all inclusive days. We got the all inclusive price reduced down to $40 per day - that is worth it. Negotiate what you want, but they really need to fill seats in the presentations, so they will give you a bunch of stuff... just ask for it. At the end of 90 minutes, remind them of your agreement to stay for 90 minutes, and ask them to please wrap this up. Who knows, you may like the deal, and end up owning part of the resort.

The service at the hotel is very good, but it is clear the waiters and service people depend on tips. If you're wearing the all inclusive arm band and get a free drink at the pool, the waiter will ask "is the service good?" or some other reminder to tip them. I hate hearing this, so I tell the waiter up front that I will tip them before I leave - not every time they come up to me with a fresh drink. This seems to work. I was a bit shocked one day when we were not on the all inclusive plan when a waiter at breakfast asked if this was cash or going on my hotel bill - he flat out told me that I'd get a very big discount if I paid cash, meaning that the hotel would very likely not see that money because it would go right into his pocket... I put the breakfast on the room bill. Being a businessman, I hate seeing employees steal so I wasn't about to enable that.

I understand that this property is being remodeled from the top down, and the owners get the new rooms. I never saw a new room, but it is worth asking for a free upgrade.

I'd go back... it was a very enjoyable trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room with a nice ocean view away from construction.
1 Thank joesindorf
Dear Joseindorf,

Greetings form the sunny beaches of Mazatlan. I thank you for the time given to write this review we always appreciate kind comments as well as constructive criticism which we always see as an opportunity to grow. I am content to hear that your stay was satisfactory. I do apologize for the minor setbacks along the way but I am glad you didn’t let it change your outlook on our hotel. I would like to inform you that we we are working on renovation year round to better our resort for our guest, It is our many priority to offer exceptional vacation and we expect nothing less. I hope in a near future you will be able to stay with us again and have an opportunity to see our improvements.

Kind regards,
Riverside, California
Reviewed 9 March 2014

The El Cid El Moro was amazing. Of course we were teased into a timeshare presentation but it was fine. Our room overlooked the pool and the ocean. We were steps from the beach, within walking distance from number of restaurants, and the restaurant on site was amazing. Everything about it was just wonderful. We had a studio in the older building. If you want a newer room, they are in the other tower. We had everything we needed with a small kitchen, a balcony where we could sit and watch the ocean and just a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: The small tower rooms are older while the tall tower rooms are newer. The small tower rooms all over...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear, MicheleTr…

We want to thank you for let us part of your recent vacation in our beautiful port of Mazatlan. I’m happy to read your nice words about your experience and that you able to enjoy the beautiful view that El Cid Moro had to offer, as well that you found a variety of restaurants

It’s a pleasure to me announce that we are working in improvements at El Cid Moro; I sincerely hope on your next visit you can enjoy one of our renovated rooms.

Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 5 March 2014

A wonderful resort - the front desk is a little slow so allow extra time when having to deal with them. The open air breakfast buffet is fabulous. The wait staff around the pool area are terrific. One waiter especially is a treasure - Ramon - he cares about his customers and goes the distance to make sure your every visit is exceptional. He is a gem and will take good care of you. Be sure to ask for Ramon while in the pool area - he's the best!!!

Room Tip: Rooms are spacious with marble floors and good a/c - ours had two large bedrooms and 3 full bathroom...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear, Teresa W

We really appreciated for taking a couple minutes of you valuable time to share your recent experience at El Cid Moro.

I’m proud to see your amazing words from Ramon and his excellent job, be assure that I personally give a special mentioned for his service.

We take a note of your observation regarding to the service from the front desk, for make the necessary improvements to prevent this happen to our future customers.
We look forward to having with us again in a not to distance future.

Best Wishes,