“No compassion from a large corporation”

El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel
Ranked #6 of 78 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Edmonton, Canada
“No compassion from a large corporation”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I recently booked a week for a girlfriend and I at the El Cid Marina in Mazatlan through RCI for March 29 to April 5. I was contacted about 3 weeks before my trip by someone claiming to be from El Cid stating that I could buy an All Inclusive package from them at a discounted price. When I asked about purchasing for only a few days I was told that this was not possible. I was told it was one week or nothing so I paid for the whole week. I found out after the fact that you can purchase individual days at the resort and not a whole week. Two weeks before my trip I was contacted by Gary at El Cid stating that the Marina property had been overbooked and therefore I was being upgraded to the El Cid El Moro. Let me tell you that the El Moro is not an upgrade from the Marina. I toured the property and ate in the restaurant at Marina and it is a much nicer resort that the El Moro.

Unfortunately within a few hours of arriving in Mazatlan we received a call from home that there was a death in the family and we needed to return to Canada. So, after only a couple of days of eating at the resort we were heading home. I spoke with Gary at El Cid and also Mario at RCI and explained my situation. I understand that the All Inclusive voucher states that it is not refundable but really thought that El Cid would have some compassion for a situation like ours and would consider some form of reimbursement for the days that we did not eat at the resort. I never would have even purchased the full week voucher if I knew that I could buy individual days at the resort itself as we had rented a one bedroom suite with a full kitchen.

Since I returned to Canada I have had 2 more conversations with RCI and with El Cid (Timeshare Department) regarding some type of reimbursement and they keep passing the buck between RCI and El Cid. I realize that the vouchers says non refundable but I truly hoped that 2 large corporations would have some compassion for people in our situation and consider refunding our money.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Yvonne C
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear, Yvonne C

Thank you sharing your opinion on Trip Advisor,

I am saddened to hear that you were not able to enjoy your stay due to your recent loss. Our sincere condolences to you and your family.

It is concerning to hear that El Moro did not meet your expectations and I can assure you that all of your comments have been taken into consideration. I appreciate you giving us your honest feedback for constructive input provides us with the opportunity to grow. If your plans ever happen to lead you to Mazatlan, hopefully, you can visit us again and enjoy the numerous upgrades and enhancements that have been made to our facilities since last year. Most recently, El Cid added a new poolside restaurant and lounge, refurbished the entire pool area and restaurant terrace, as well as numerous guest rooms.

Our vacation club would like to discuss your needs and comments further and will be in contact with you.

Warm regards,

Salvatore Sanchez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
Germany
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The hotel was good but what was even more amazing was Francisco Renteria Vallejo! He was our waiter and served us at the pool bar. He is one of the main reasons I will be returning to the El Cid El Moro. The hotel and restaurants were great but Francisco made our trip so memorable! He was caring and so quick to bring us anything we needed. He remembered us and what we liked; bringing us more drinks or water if we were running low without us having to ask. He is an amazing addition to your hotel and such a pleasure to speak with.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a 2 room suite if you have 4 people. The rooms are great!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear, Allison P

What a pleasant reading! It was very comfortable to read you impressions on your recent stay at El Cid Moro. As well on your special mentioned to Francisco Rentería, as mentioned before we are proud to having him in our team. He cares of each detail of our customers and love to do it so! Be assure that he will receive recognition for his excellent job.

We hope to have the pleasure to having you once again in a not too distance future.

Best Wishes,

San Diego, California
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I recently stayed at the El Cid El Moro and while my overall experience was very good, the service by the pool was excellent. Our server, Francisco Renteria, went above and beyond to make our time by the pool wonderful. He was prompt, courteous, and made sure we had everything we needed. Even if we were walking through the pool to the restaurant Francisco would greet us with a warm smile and a hug. He is the reason why I would com back to the hotel! Thank you Francisco!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite if possible. We heard the standard rooms are very small. We (4 people) got luck...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Thank you for the kind words about Francisco Renteria. We are extremely proud of the service and dedication for him to care of each customer, as other reviews mentioned his excelent work its one of our better waiters for years at El Cid.

Once again thanks for your sincerely words, Be assured I will be share your impresions with him and the rest of staff.

We look forward to your future visits!

Kind regards,

Channahon, Illinois
Reviewed 16 April 2014

After suffering through another horrific Chicagoland winter, my husband and I were in the market for a warm weather vacation combined with some golfing, one of our favorite past times. While perusing some travel blogs I stumbled upon stay+play package at El Cid Mazatlan, offered by BookMazatlanGolf.com. After a bit of research I contacted Mike, director of golf stay+play programs for El Cid, who walked me through my booking with ease.

As our travel date approached, Mike and I exchanged a few emails to set up tee times and confirm our personal transportation from Mazatlan airport to the resort. It was a pleasure to exit customs and see Mike’s friendly face waiting for us. He whisked us to a roomy van with driver and provided refreshing local beverages for the short trip. Upon our arrival we met Freddie, our personal golf concierge, who immediately arranged for our clubs to be stored at the golf course for the duration of our stay. Freddie encouraged us to contact him with any request, and he became an invaluable asset for everything from making restaurant reservations to advice on local transportation.

After a smooth and friendly check in we were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a gorgeous ocean-front suite on the 23rd floor of the El Moro tower with a beautiful view of Deer Island from sliding windows in each of the two rooms. A roomy sleeping area boasted two double beds, desk, table and chairs, shelving and two dressers. The availability of electric outlets at the head of the bed was a welcome plus for charging our devices. The large bathroom area featured double sinks and large sliding door closet with plenty of hangers. I especially liked the large bathtub, easily 5 feet in diameter, made from strips of natural stone, giving it an old world feel. With two sofas and a Murphy bed in the main area, this room could comfortably sleep eight. Rounding everything out was a full kitchen, second closet and bathroom.

As pretty as it was, we didn’t stay there long, and set out to explore the resort. We discovered three different areas, all connected and easy to navigate, El Moro, Castilla Beach and Granada Country Club, with Marina Beach a short shuttle ride away. Each has its own pools, restaurants and bars. Our all-inclusive package included access to most everything. Along the way we encountered lots of staff, all extremely friendly and helpful.

We chose our tee times early in the day, and after a buffet breakfast walked the short distance to Granada where El Cid’s three nine-hole golf courses are located. We travel with only one golf bag with a combination of both our clubs, and were hoping to be able to borrow an empty bag to split things up. To our delight Freddie was there to meet us and arrange this. Golfing with a caddy was new to us, but after meeting the friendly and laid-back Mundo, we completely relaxed. Mundo’s knowledge of the course was immediately apparent when his estimations of yardage were confirmed by our range finder. And on the green, he knew exactly where to aim. Our package included a total of three rounds that we enjoyed on these well-maintained courses lined with lovely homes under beautiful sunny skies.

When not golfing we did not hesitate to explore old Mazatlan and the Malecon. Transportation is readily available by pulmonia to both locations for a reasonable price. Although I have read varying accounts of the safety of Mexico beyond resort areas, I did not for a moment feel less than perfectly safe, day or night, both on and off the resort.

We of course spent time pool side and on the beach, where the El Cid staff excels at being attentive to your needs, and the activities department provides entertainment that is enjoyable to participate in or just watch. Although El Cid is a family oriented resort, we never felt over-run by youngsters, probably due to the size and layout of the property. The beach and pool areas offer plenty of chairs, tents and palapas, and we were always able to find a good spot.

We found the facilities impeccably clean and well maintained. There is a good array of food styles and variety of beverages. One evening we had a delicious steak dinner at the Argentinian restaurant. Reservations are required for this and other resort restaurants, which Freddie helped arrange for us.

After a relaxing and restful 5 nights we were disappointed to return to the still-chilly Midwest. As we chatted with Freddie while waiting for our transport to the airport, we promised him we will return.

2 Thank Nancy J
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear, Nancy J

Greeting from the sunny beaches of Mazatlan,

I appreciate you taking the time in informing us on how your trip was. From your review I can see we were able to provide you that sunny paradise you were looking for. I am glad my staff was able to provide for you such outstanding service and because of them was what made your stay that much more enjoyable. I’m happy to hear you were so fond of our rooms and found the to be spotless and with such breath taking scenery. The will defiantly be sharing your kind remarks to my staff specialty to our Argentinean chef for yet again providing such fine tasting cuisines and Freddie for talking care of you during your stay these are truly the works that make a difference and to have him on bored with our team is such an honor. I am thank full to hear that over all your whole stay was wonderful and that you recognized our hard efforts in maintaining EL CID RESORTS looking its best. We await anxiously upon your next arrival and if there anything you need help in planning your next trip please feel free in letting me know .

Kind Regards,

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed at the El Cid El Moro from April 1-8. A middle age couple escaping the Minnesota cold. We originally had a reservation for a pool view room at the El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel. When we checked in they said we were being upgraded to the El Moro. It's on the same property just a short walk away. There are three pool areas on the property as well as a hot tub by the beach that we weren't expecting. When the front desk employee gave us our room I noticed it was on the first floor so we asked for a higher floor and she made some phone calls and was able to put us on the 18th floor. Our room had a great view of the ocean and one of the pools! We also had a kitchenette with a refrigerator and microwave. We had some plumbing issues right away but they were resolved quickly. The staff were very friendly and attentive to our needs. We spent most of our time at the pool area at the El Moro that had the slide and cliff. It was fun to watch people jump into the water. The activities staff were excellent! Ruben, Frank and Hans were so fun and great about getting people involved. They had tons of fun poolside games and activities. Water aerobics, bingo, darts, volleyball, etc... The best server at the pool was Franciso Renteria from Bar La Conchita. He was very friendly and never let us get thirsty. Thank you Franciso!! We'd also like to thank Jonathon and Josue. They were also great servers.

The food that was included in the all inclusive was ok. It's on par with what you would expect at an AI. We had the AI (not elite) but got such a great deal we didn't mind going out to eat away from the resort. There are a lot of great restaurants close by. You can walk to some of them but it's so fun to ride in the open air taxis called pulmonias. Just ask the driver how much he'll charge before you leave. Depending on how far you're going it's usually $5 -$10. Senior Frog's was right next door. Ask for Jose. He is awesome! El Roots, Gus Gus and El Capitano are all close and had wonderful food. Mr. Lionso at Playa Bruja has amazing coconut shrimp and is a fun atmosphere over looking the ocean. One night we went to the Plaza Mercado. That was a lot of fun. Another great atmosphere and many wonderful restaurants to choose from. The only excursion we went on was the sunset cruise which was nice. The shuttle takes you over to the El Cid Marina and you leave from there. The sunsets were always beautiful.

The timeshare people only bothered us twice. You just have to give them a firm no and they'll leave you alone. Same with the vendors on the beach. Overall we had an excellent time and would definitely go back!!

1 Thank Kelly R
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Kelly R,

This is why el Cid was made for. Offer you the best services in quality and kindness.

Thank you very much for your time taken writing to us about your stay in Mazatlan at el Cid Moro. I feel very happy to hear that our staff make your stay more pleasant and you found them helpful every time and attentive to your needs.

They will know about this review, I know they'll be happy to hear about you.

Once again thank you for chose el Cid as your best choice to spend your vacations. I can't wait to see you again with us; I know you will have pleasant days full of fun and hospitality.

I send you my best regards in named of el cid, hoping you come back soon.

Minnesota
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed at the El Cid El Moro from 3/18 to 3/25. It was one of the best vacations we have ever had.

Mazatlan - Friendly people, great sunsets, wonderful food, felt safe everywhere we walked day and night.

El Cids - Four attractive hotels that you can visit. Large complex, so make sure you know how long it will take to walk to some of the restaurants that require reservations. Quick shuttle to and from the El Cid Marina. I was surprised by the number of different wrist bands on the guests. Some folks had two different colored wrist bands. Different bands for each hotel, timeshare or hotel guest, age, and differing all inclusive plan. Likely won’t matter to you as a visitor as the staff know exactly what each one denotes.

Room - Due to an upgrade our room far exceeded expectations. Large, amazing views, clean, great balcony, (you won’t belive the sunsets!) and way more. Many people complain of the beds being hard. I disagree. I find them very comfortable. (My wife says they are a bit firm). I loved the fact that when we would leave for breakfast or lunch, if the maid was in the hall she would ask CLEAN?. If we said YES the room would be done by the time we returned. I travel a bit for business and stay at some of the best hotels - I wish they could do as well. I’m constantly returning to my room in the U.S. to try and do some business after lunch only to find my room being cleaned. Yes, I tipped a few Dollars/Pesos. Not because I had to, but because I wanted to.

Pools - Large, clean well kept pools with lots of people of all ages. Very pretty, with plenty of bars and places to order something to eat. There was a significant update happening at the pool/beach restaurant at the El Cid Castilla. Once that is done it looks like it will be a great place for breakfast or lunch. Like everywhere else that is popular the towel game is played. No problem for us because we could always find something acceptable at one of the pools or the beach. If you are looking for a quieter pool scene I suggest a visit to the El Cid Marina. Two pools, good views, boats and a nice restaurant for lunch. (food and beverage may not be included in your plan).

Beach - The El Cid had wonderful beach service, at all the locations we visited. Very attentive wait staff that returned with your beverage in a reasonable time. They really try to make your visit a good experience. One day we found a nice spot, but the lounge was broken. Without asking, the El Cid man at the beach noticed and quickly came over, repaired the lounge and left. I had to go over to him to give him a thank you tip.

Food - The food in Mazatlan is very good - just about everywhere. The food at the El Cids (we tried it at all 4 of the locations) was very good. We had the Elite All Inclusive and were never disappointed by the quality of the service and the food. (I’ll post pictures. ) We had friends staying at a hotel nearby, so we ate out as well . F.I.S.H, Mary’s, Fat Fish. Gus y Gus, Topolo, etc. were all good. Yet, the food at the El Cids was often as good or better - and it was included as part our all inclusive! And I’m a fussy eater! From what I saw, if you had to pay menu price, the cost of the food at the El Cids was often. comparable to the outside places - and often a greater value because of the portion size and quality.

Shows - Don’t expect Broadway. Fun, but I heard some folks who thought some were a bit too “Sexy” for their children. Yet, nothing you would not see at the pool.

Liquor - No complaints at all. Just ask for what you want. Good selection. Like most places, if you don’t specify something “I would like a Pina Colada with XXX rum” you will get whatever is close to hand. Also, be realistic. You are not going to be able to order 75 year old single malt scotch without paying for it. Wine is still a work in progress, but way better than a few years ago.

Staff - Really like to help and do a wonderful job. I believe we tip well, but I don’t think they would give bad service if we did not tip.

My wife and I have always had a love of seeing new things and have traveled widely. We have been visiting Mexico since 1980 and have been to most of the popular locations there and other places - Europe, Florida, Bahamas, Caribbean, Jamaica, etc. in search of warm weather. Yet, this was our first visit to Mazatlan. After a very trying year, we are happy we chose the El Cid as this was one of our best trips.ever.

We’ll be back.

A special thank you to Norma - a very kind and generous person.

Room Tip: Higher floor, ocean view with balcony if you want the best sunsets
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GregT
Dear GregT,

How awesome words you are giving to readers through trip advisor about Mazatlan and el Cid Resorts. I just can't explain how glad I feel to hear that now we are part of one of your best trips ever.
It is a pleasure to me give you my sincerely thanks on behalf of all of us to make part of el Cid to your good comments about us. I know they will be more than happy to hear this, because day by day we work hard improving our services, just trying to be part of a good stay of each of our guests which is the most important part of us.
It is glad to me know we met your expectations and that we will have the pleasure to have you with us again soon.
I send you my best regards to you, hoping to meet you soon.

Salvatore Sánchez
Tracy, California
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Just returned from staying at the El Cid Morrow Beach in Mazatlan. Prior to going to this resort, some of the reviews made it sound old, tired, and not managed well. What a mistake!! This resort was over the top with amenities, variety of dinning choices, super friendly staff, and accomodations that rival the best up and down the beach. From the time they picked us up at the airport(included) to departure a week later, we were relaxed, happy, well taken care of and down right spoiled. Some of the reports metioned different colored all inclusive wrist bands that caused guests to think it was a badge of importance or something. The different colors indicated that some people paid a higher fee so they could utilize the VIP facilities available. Really not needed. The food and beverages offered at the variety of locations were top grade. No complaints at all. Would we go back? Yep!!

Room Tip: try to get a room close to the beach. It makes for less walking to the dinning choices, and the pool...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear, royhawkin

On behalf of the whole team of the El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel I would like to express my sincere appreciation for the above feedback. Thanks so much for you loyalty to El Cid and Mazatlan, and sharing your thoughts with us here.

Each team member is trying to fulfill and to exceed our guests’ expectations every day when we come to work and such a feedback is really a great reward for the entire team.

From the pool to the spa there are many places to escape, with lots of sensual fun in between.
Come back and let us pamper you some more! I hope to welcome you back soon. Please let me know if I can assist with anything.

All the best,