“Worst so-called 'all inclusive'”

El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 78 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Worst so-called 'all inclusive'”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I specifically chose this resort because it stated 'all-inclusive' option which I purchased. However, it is NOT 'all including'. Even as a RCI member, I was not afforded the same dining, bars, etc. as what they seem to think of as El Cid specific members. If one has never been to a REAL all-inclusive then this would probably be okay for them.
The hotel equates to an old Motel 6. It is old, the beds are horrible to sleep on due to hard 'spring' mattresses. The zipper on their bed cover was broken, therefore would not zip and exposed the multi-used inside parts. It was never changed in 7 days. The water, coffee, etc. in the room is an extra charge! So much for all inclusive! No free room service either! I had to either get my own drinks or run down a waiter, wait a very long time and he might actually bring me a drink! Some will take your order but never bring the drink!! And I tip every time so why they give such lousy service I have no idea.The food is like a Shoney's, not good and not hot and not a good variety on the buffet. I was told they provided free airport service to/from the resort, but it was actually only one way. The return is either self pay or you have to spend a couple hours+ listening to their pitch to buy a time-share to get a free ride back to the airport. My appointment was for 10AM breakfast, but there was nothing available for almost an hour which did not count towards the quoted time-frame. Not a very good start if they thought they could sell me a time-share! I had to continually ask each waiter if my bracelet afforded me that specific bar or restaurant so I would not be charged. The drinks were VERY watered down and only a few were 'included', as others that should have been included were an extra cost and I am not speaking of top shelf liquor either! There was no personalized service, and I mostly felt anonymous unlike other all-inclusives I have gone to. They indicated I could go to the Marina sister resort also, however their so-called all-inclusive there stopped at 5PM, which left out any restaurant dinner opportunities. After speaking to several employees about getting my return boarding pass printed and being sent to the same place several times, circling the (very hot) two sided resort several times after I was given wrong directions on who could do this service, I finally found the correct office, but the employee screwed it up by typing in my name incorrectly (even though I handed her my name in typed writing on my flight information) which could not be fixed online and I had to check in at the airport. One evening at dinner I was seated at a table ( there have no tables for just one or two people, only large tables), and even though there were others available the waiter seated a family with several children at my table. I was not happy but bit the bullet. However, when I returned to my seat after going to the buffet (horrid buffet BYW) that family had pushed my chair so far over to the end of the table I had only the corner to place my plate. Yes, I was annoyed, but could say nothing since I did not speak Spanish and that family did not speak English. The vast majority of the guests present when I was there were Spanish speaking people from Mexico and various Spanish speaking countries. Maybe that is why the entertainment announcer forgot to translate into English for the guests that do not speak spanish.
The 'entertainment' lacked just about everything other than nice looking costumes. Not at all like any other resort entertainment. There was no nightly music for after dinner. Entertainment was 8-9PM then nothing. Forget about going to a bar in the evening and getting service. They are either closed or you have to hunt for a waiter an beg for a drink (if you can find one) and he will never return to see if you wanted another one.
The hotel is right on the street so safety is another issue. Seems like anyone can walk into the hotel. They have security but it is not very effective as I observed. I found several people at the pool and walking around by themselves and they wore no resort bracelet.
The rooms were A/C as well as the restaurants but everywhere else was not and it was stifling hot and humid.
If I could give them minus stars I would. There are so many wonderful actual 'all-inclusive' resorts to go to, don't waste your time and money going to this one.
There is a kitchen in the room, but if you don't clean it up and wash your dishes you WILL be charged extra! So much for maid service!! Also, they do not mop the floors in your room daily or even during your stay, or do many of the things that are 'normal' maid service! Also, I found, there is no guarantee they will honor your 'do not disturb' door sign!
There was no place to get away from the multitude of kids either; no bar area, no place anywhere in this 'resort' regardless of the time of day or night. It was especially annoying when they played in the halls (very noisy) and though I asked them to stop, they did not speak English and no parents were around. Their noise echoed a lot and they sounded like they were right in my room.
I had hoped to go with my husband but he had to work, so even though 2 paid, they would not even 'up-grade' me so I could have the 'privilege' of their not included areas which would not have amounted to even near the second person cost! After all of this they actually thought I might join their way over priced time share!!! I met another couple who was also a RCI member and they were having the same experience as I even though they were staying at their other resort, Marina, and their 2 adult children were at El Cid where I was staying. We all acknowledged together we will never return!
On a positive note, I did have two separate experiences, one at breakfast and one during one evening's dinner where I got a very good waiter. Also, they had fireworks...very startling not knowing they were going to occur, however, lovely.

Room Tip: Try a room in another resort!!! Don't let their website pictures fool you!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank RevJulie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
Roseville, Minnesota
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Just spent 3 weeks at El Cid El Moro in Mazatlan. Super time as usual. While most of the servers are excellent Ramon, Danny and Giovanni really stand out at LaConcha. Ramon at the pool really hustles and does an excellent job. El Alcazar had our favorite dinner menu choices and was such a quiet pleasant place to eat. We had an all inclusive plan and having a variety of places where we could eat was a big plus. I'm a little "picky" and they were always willing to prepare things the way I preferred! We had a room on the 21st floor and while the room was old it was kept quite clean. The view is amazing. They are in process of updating the rooms and we look forward to staying in one of those rooms on our next trip. There is a free shuttle that will take you to the El Cid at the marina where you can enjoy their two pools and also eat. This added even more variety. We speak no Spanish but we were made to feel very welcome and there were many helpful people who spoke English. The staff as a whole is well trained and very friendly. Many often greeted us by name after several days. We are a points owner there and pleased with our purchase. One highlight of our trip that we would highly recommend is their day trip to Durango on the new road that has just recently opened. It is up over the mountains over many bridges and through many tunnels. The views were fantastic! Already planning our return trip.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RetiredTraveler626
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear RetiredTraveler626,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your preference, in selecting El Cid Moro Beach Hotel for your vacation, as well for letting us know about your recent experience.

We were absolute delighted to read this review. It is always good to read key points that have made our guests stay enjoyable and I appreciated the comment about the Durango tour… when we get feedback like yours it shows that we meet your travel expectations. Writing reviews, word of mouth recommendations, and comments on our website let us know that the experience we attempt to create for each guest is happening.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the quality of food. We are very proud of our food quality and spend a lot of time speaking with suppliers to ensure that this is maintained. I will personally ensure that your comments are passed on to our F&B Team specially to Danny, Ramon and Giovanni.

It is nice to be able to print off positive comments to show to our team as it reminds them that by taking care of our guests during their stay, we have made our guests happy. When I thank them for a job well done they appreciate it, but when a guest takes time out of their day to make a positive remark relating to their service levels it is very rewarding for them. Everyone at Moro, will love to have you and your family back as guests.

Best regards,

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

The El Cid resort is a little bit older, however the layout of the facility is well planned. The staff I have encountered poolside are wonderful, especially Paúl Salas. Paúl is charming in such an authentic way. He really doted on us and treated us special, letting us know what area he would be serving the following day. Boy, does he hustle too! I will definitely seek him out during my next visit. He made my trip that much more enjoyable.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear GeminiBro,

First of all I would like to say thanks for have been your choice in these your last vacations at the beutiful city of Mazatlan.

I am glad to hear that you had an exceptional stay at el Cid Moro and that Paul made of your vacations something more enjoyable and wonderful. For sure he will receive a mention for his excellent job provided to you.

I hope to see you back soon not in a far future. El Cid Resorts will give you a warm welcome to you and your family.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Yes, our 2 bedroom suite was excellent. The corner, top floor suite had excellent views of both the city and the beach. And yes, the food at La Concha was superb. But I have to rate the service 6 stars, if possible. The staff at the restaurants and the pool side service were all very professional and eager to serve. Special mention to Ivan, Ramon, Ignacio, Francisco R. and Thomas. Ramon, the bell hop who first greeted us and the last to say goodbye and arranged a van taxi was super helpful. Rosie, the concierge was extremely efficient and so thoughtful. I called down to concierge to ask for the phone number of a bakery to order a birthday cake for my grand daughter who was celebrating her 9th birthday. Rosie said she would be happy to order the cake for me. She not only delivered it to our room while we were at the pool, she also arranged for our room to be decorated with baloons and all. Excellent staff!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank RoniB_TX
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear, RoniB_TX
We cannot be more pleased to read your recent review. I’m so happy to know that we meet your travel expectations in many ways, with your comfortable room, with a wonderful ocean view, the food and the service provided from our waiters at La Concha restaurant. Thanks for the special mentions to our staff, be assured that I will share your nice words with them.

It’s so sweet that Rosy help to you with your granddaughter celebration always is nice to be recognized for a little extra word, and I’m feeling so proud to know that el cid team works for the same purpose which is meet our guest satisfaction.

I hope we will soon have a chance to welcome you back and deliver even more pleasant surprises!

My best,

trevor-wa
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We ( my wife and I) have been going every year to the El Cid El Moro every year now for 20 years, it's our favorite warm weather vacation place by far. The staff is great and the price is a great value, Guillermo, the front desk manager really knows how to take care of people.

The ocean front view at La Concha is very relaxing and the food is good for reasonable prices.

The all inclusive option is a good deal if you drink alcohol, other wise the drinks are pricey relative to the room and food .

They do push the time shares pretty hard but people that have purchased them and use them seem happy.

The La Patio Italian/pizza restaurant on property but not owned by El Cid is very good and again reasonable prices, we love the pizza with shrimps

There is a new restaurant a block down the street, F.I.S.H (Fresh International Seafood House) that has very fresh and good seafood, especially the local oysters.

Room Tip: ocean front
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank trevor-wa
Dear, trevor-wa

Thank you very much for your recent stay at El Cid Moro and your trust during this 20 years, as well for taking the time to give a positive description of your impression during your visit. The comments of our guests are helping us to improve our service and the quality of product and will definitely be an inspiration to continue our efforts.

It is great to learn that you found our resort special, your comments on our service and our staff is the fuel we need to look every day for improvement, for you to have great memories from our Hotel to share and treasure.

We can't thank you enough for your patronage and kind recommendation. We agree that the people can be one of the most important parts of a hotel stay and are happy to hear that your experiences with our associates were amazing.
El Cid Resorts experience is truly unique in that it offers a relaxing feel with dedicated service.

Warm regards,

Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The El Cid Resorts in Mazatlan are in the low to mid range of time share resorts. The rooms are comfortable and there are several upgrade options. If you decide on the elite all inclusive program the restaurants at the other El Cid properties are also available to you as well as some other amenities that are not available on the lesser programs.

The staff was very friendly and tried to be helpful but some things just don't work out the way we expect. The room was kept clean and if something was not to our liking someone came to have a look right away. Again remember this is not a high end resort. The pools were very good and there are pool activities you could register for. The food in the restaurants is good but the buffet was the same every day. I think they are very overpriced so if you are going to eat at the resort most of the time make sure to take the all inclusive. There are lots of good restaurants in Mazatlan. We went to the fiesta of course, and the food and drinks were very good but the show was long and boring.

What is a holiday without golf. The El Cid golf course is right at the resort. It is 27 holes and although it is not difficult it is challenging. We were there in January and it was not in as good of shape as it could have been but played well. A caddy is mandatory but if you are on a cart only one caddy is needed for two people. Our caddy was great and he knew the course inside out. The restaurant at the golf course served good food and the service was fast and friendly. We negotiated some pretty good rates and tee times through the resort staff and would recommend this course to other golfers. Again remember this is a resort golf course not PGA standards.

One other thing I would mention is for fishermen. The El Cid has a fleet of charter fishing boats. The Aries Fleet. We chose a different charter but I am sure the results and equipment would be the same. We had great success on our fishing excursions.

I would recommend this resort but do not expect first class service or ammenities and remember you are also not paying for it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laird_2014
Dear, Laird_2014

It is always great to hear on how our guest very much enjoyed themselves, thank you for taking the time in letting us know about your recent experience. From the looks of your review I can see you did much exploring of our resort which is always great to get the full on experience.

Thank you for speaking so fondly of our staff they work really hard to make sure our guest is satisfied for it is our number one goal. I am sorry to hear you had minor inconveniences with the room but glad they were fixed immediately once reported. I thank you for bring to my attention your honest feedback in regards to the food rest assure that I will definitely look into this and come up with new and improved ways to better this service, however maybe in a next visit you might like to try an ala cart restaurant on of many that we offer , I am sure you will very much appreciate it, not to mention another restaurant we offer for exclusive Elite Members known as La Concha. Moving on to the greens in our golf fields we work really hard on renovations year round and our golf fields are no exceptions, they try to be kept in its best conditions, never the less I once again thank you for your time giving and for writing such kind words about our resort , we await your next visit.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 27 May 2014

My husband and I recently visited for our honeymoon for 7 days. There were good and bad parts. We were blown away by how friendly and attentive all of the servers and workers were. All of the meals we had were delicious, especially from la concha. We bought the all- inclusive package, which was well worth it. However, we had a bad experience with the room we stayed in. We didn't think much when we had little bites on us when we woke up in the morning. By the end of the trip I knew that they were bed bugs, I let the front desk know that there were bugs in our bed, she gave me a phone and after explaining the situation to several different people who just kept transferring me, the last person said ok I'll send housekeeping. nothing out of the ordinary was done, the regular housekeeping cleaned like they did every morning. The sheets weren't even changed. When we got back we had to toss everything we could do without and treat the rest of the luggage for bed bugs. It took hours upon hours to treat everything. I still am covered in bites ( I had no idea that the bites can take a couple weeks to react) and feel bad that the next family who stays in there will have to go through it. There wasn't very much nightlife there at all, it is very much a family resort. It's a good spot for relaxation vacation and for people who like to stay on the resort. I also never got a deposit back for the lock box when I checked out, I remembered on the plane ride back that the refund was not given. I tried calling, and the lady I spoke to said she could not transfer me to the front desk or someone else who could help, nor give me a toll free number, which means a ridiculous international rate if I were to dial from the US. The room we stayed in had a door connecting the side room to us which stayed locked, but you could hear literally every word someone was saying in the room next door. On an upbeat note, the view was fantastic - it overlooked the beach and pools, we never had a bad experience with any servers, all were extremely attentive and friendly.

Room Tip: Make sure the room you get does not connect to another one and just have a locked door between - you...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Aribrig
Dear, Aribrig

First of all I want to thank you for let us part of this important day such as your anniversary, we appreciate your trust. Its great to hear that my staff provided such great service to you and that you got a chance to try some of our delicious cuisines I will pass along your kind remarks to our chef and staff im sure they will be thrilled to hear such great things being said by our fellow guests, I am so concerned to hear that you had a bug problem , I do wish this report would have gotten back to me at the moment of your stay this is a rare occasion we don’t normally have bug problems such as this but regardless I am very concerned to hear that you were not given the proper looking after once you reported this, rest assure that I will further investigate this and see who were the people who you failed a report to and see why the proper precautions were not taken immediately. I would like to thank you for still thinking so great of our hotel despite this inconvenience. If you ever find yourself in Mazatlan again I would really appreciate you giving us another try I can guarantee you will not have this problem.

Best Regards,