“Wonderful, relaxing week”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Arizona
“Wonderful, relaxing week”
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Needing some time to catch our breath, we stayed a week. We were so pleased with service, food, relaxing atmosphere. The sunset cruise is well worth doing. Getting a palapa on the beach can be tricky. Be downstairs at 6 am to put stuff down. Otherwise the early risers AND the beach guy will beat you to it and reserve spots despite signs saying you cannot do that. Some reserved spots then stayed empty until the afternoon. But there are cons...we went for a "tour" of the Marina facility and were subjected to a harsh, in-your-face-aggressive sales presentation...stay away from there. Also, as massage therapists and instructors we looked forward to the spa...Alas it is way below resort spa quality and the massage work was at best marginal.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2010
Dear eisenteach

Thank you for taking the time to recount your visit to El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your accomodations and the hospitality of our team members.

It is only knowing where we fall short that we can identify actions to improve our service levels. Your feedback has been invaluable to us and I thank you for sharing it.

I hope your vacation plans include a return visit to Mazatlan in the near future. Thanks again for sharing your feedback.

Regards,

Mark Covarrubias McKay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
el paso tx
Reviewed 30 March 2010

all types of service were great especially the beach service, the server aaron was always friendly and promp with drinks and food, i will definetelly look him up the next time i travel down there!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2010
Dear leisure69

Thank you for your brief yet meaningful review. I hope other users find this valuable in choosing their next hotel in Mazatlan. I will be sure to pass the feedback on to Aaron as I know he will appreciate the sentiment.

We'll see you next time!

Kind regards,

El Paso
Reviewed 23 March 2010

I have just returned from a 6 day stay at the El Cid Moro Tower Hotel. I was a little nervous after reading all the negative or lukewarm reviews, but I got a couple of nice e-mails from the hotel staff prior to departing that answered my questions and put me at east. I stayed on the 25th floor in one of the rooms with a partial ocean view which for me was just fine. I could see bird island and most of hermosa beach looking toward the hotels north of town. I could hear the ocean at night just fine. The pools are HUGE and great giving a lot of options for laying out. In fact there is a sign saying the Moro pool is the largest in Mexico. I was on all inclusive and the restaurants were really hit or miss. My favorites were las conchas at el moro because of the view and it was usually easy to get a seat for lunch or dinner. I also like the Italian restaurant in Castilla but they are pretty strict on the need for reservations even though they were about 1/2 full. The disappointing restaurant for me was the El Patio. I've bee to argentenian restaurants before and the meat is really point of emphasis. Portions were small, but again that appears to be the mexican style. The mexican restaurant La Cascada was fun great staff and the food was generally good. The highlight was the finishing mexican coffee which you must try. Buffetts were just ok at Castilla and El Moro whatever the location. You wont starve. But again I must temper my review with the knowledge that this a mexican style resort. Resort was catering to mostly families from canada and the midwest so I dont really blame them.
I liked the bar tender at the oudoor drink area at El Moro her remember how I liked my Margaritas and had them ready whenever I walked by. It wasnt hard to get a drink and I enjoyed the frozen margaritas and the pacifico beer.
Staff were generally nice and normally said hello to you. My maid Martha was delighful and kept my room nice and clean. She was nice to talk to in the morning and practice my spanish. The rooms themslves were very large. It doesnt say it on the hotel information but you basically get a full kitchenette with toaster, microwave, cook top, nice sized refrigerator and enough cooking utensils and plates to make do. Beds were a little hard i guess but not uncomfortable. Turndown service at night with the hersheys almond kisses was nice. The tubs are huge and while showering I would always look behind me because there was room for 3-4 people to fit easily behind me. Ohhh if those tubs could talk! All in all if you can get a good deal here and are looking for a central location in the golden zone, large room, king sized bed, kitchenette, great beach, HUGE pools and the very rare hottub at these hotels then this is the place for you. Its listed as a 3-3.5 star hotel on all the website and thats exactly what it is with a great location in the golden zone and on the beach.

Negatives would be the information desk really didnt know anything. I was told i got a 20% discount on tours when I checked in, but after asking later several times noone knew anything. There were so many different colored wrist bands I dont konw how anyone could tell them apart. In fact a time share guy outside the hotel noted my band indicating i was a VIP or whatever but he was the only one. At every mel i had to hold up my band and have the waiter take down the band number and my room number. The other thing that made me uneasy was the general responses to the various concerns many of which seem to be deleted now indicating to me they dont really care about making things better just some lipservice to address concerns. I am sorry so many people are having trouble with the time share people. Some of the guys at the desks along the street in front of the hotel were actually helpful with general information, but other than than i just didnt discuss anything with them.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 10 March 2010

There was something magical about this resort that added a sparkle to every activity or event and we enjoyed our vacation more than we dreamed was possible.
The staff greeted us every day with warm smiles and quickly solved any issues that arose. Many of them had worked at El Cid for several years and obviously loved their jobs.
Our room was on the 12th floor and every evening we sat on our balcony with tequila drinks and watched the sun set over the sea. A few minutes later the lights of Mazatlan would be spread out below us, twinkling in the dusk as far as we could see.
The beaches are clean and good for walking for miles to burn off those Mexican dinners.
The dinner shows are amazing with various buffets and superb desserts, then the talented performers put on very good shows with hilarious audience participation. Everybody has a good time, including the cast.
Maybe because we are seniors we savour the more simple things in life, such as taking the local bus to go shopping and eating in little Mexican restaurants where the food is cheap and we can practice our Spanish.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank shedorbc
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2010
Dear shedorbc

What a warm, positive review! On behalf of the entire staff here at El Cid El Moro, we would like to thank you for your words of encouragement. Our staff takes particular care to welcome all of our guests warmly and let them know we are glad they selected our hotel whatever time they check-in, early or late.

We feel much honored with your compliments and comments and very happy because we could meet your expectations. Our team of professionals are here working hard to assure you a comfortable stay. For your future visits, please be sure to let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay more pleasant and memorable.

Thank you for taking the time to submit the review and to say such positive things...we welcome you back to the hotel anytime!

Yours faithfully,

Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2010

This place is done,what may have been great 30 years ago is long gone.
Was swarmed by sales vultures the minute we checked in.Service is fine, if you don't mind being constantly herded around and listen to the latest sales pitch and presentation then this cheesy place may be for you.
Booked a fishing trip with Aries fleet but they forgot to pick us up at the arranged time,would still be in the lobby waiting if we did not decide to head down to the marina and quiz them about our once in a lifetime trip only to discover that they decided it was to rough to go out...looked calm to me.
Booked "Luxury Room" with Travelocity which mentioned free wireless internet in the room and ocean view but got a room facing a garbage littered field and a pullout couch for a bed and no internet.
Next time we will just skip Mazatlan and head further south to Puerto Vallarta.
Good luck.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank qualitytraveling
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2010
Dear qualitytraveling

We appreciate your comment regarding your recent visit in El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel.
The experience you have shared concerns us deeply, as we are committed to provide the best possible services to our guests.

El Cid strives to adhere to a high standard of quality and services throughout all the properties. Your words are beneficial and will serve to aid us in our efforts as we continue to improve and monitor our services.

I was very concerned to read this feedback, as you can see from previous reviews this is not our normal standard. I would be most grateful if you would contact me on mcovarrubias@elcid.com.mx as I would like to have the opportunity to discuss these specific comments personally.

Many thanks.

prince george, bc
Reviewed 2 March 2010

Our family of 4 (myself, hubby and two kids (10 and 7) travelled to Mazatlan for our first all inclusive with the kids. We were booked at El Cid Castilla but decided to upgrade to the El Moro for the extra room. We paid $50 mexican per night for the upgrade. I'm not sure if it was worth it and wished that we would have looked at the poolside rooms at the Castilla to see if it was worth it. We did enjoy having the sitting room and extra TV though which allowed the kids to watch a movie when retiring to the room for the night and my hubby to watch something different on the other one. I did like the space though to spread out our stuff and the fridge was nice for keeping bottled water and some beers cold that we bought at a nearby store. The one downside though was being on the 26th floor, we did not use the balcony as the ledges were not very high and didn't seem safe, especially with the kids. My son who has a bit of a phobia for heights was not happy with being so high up but after a few days, he was better about it.

As for the resort, it was wonderful. The staff were AMAZING, especially the gals at the Kid's Club. My daughter Alyson made daily visits to the club and really enjoyed it. My son got to spend some time at the Teen Club and a bit at the Kid's Club but his favorite activities were playing on the ping pong table, beach soccer and beach volleyball. He is a very active boy and the animation staff all knew his name by the end of our first day there.

The pools were great. We spent most of our time at the Castilla pool as the water was a bit warmer and my son preferred the location for the animation staff and the activities that were going on over there. We did spend our last couple days on the El Moro pool side though once the kids got the courage to jump off the cliff and then they wanted to spend lots of time over there.

The food was very good at the resort. We ate all of our breakfasts at the buffet. My son LOVED their french toast and bacon and my daughter the pancakes and fresh fruit (strawberries, cantaloupe and watermelon). I always found something to eat and it was nice to go and grab something to eat quick before heading to the pool so we never tried any of the a la carte restaurants for breakfast. The buffet had all your regular breakfast offerings (scrambled eggs, bacon, pancakes, french toast, sausage, assorted cereals, oatmeal,omelettes made to order, etc.) fresh fruit, juice, and lots of other stuff. For lunch we did eat at the Mexican restaurant once and it was very good and highly recommended. The rest of the lunches were eaten at the buffet by the Castilla pool. The food was good to very good. They had a grill going a couple of days with pork chops one day and beef the other, which were both very tasty. They always had a fish dish, which I really enjoyed, a couple of pasta dishes, which my hubby and daughter really enjoyed, rice, vegetables, a couple of soups, hamburgers, fries, salad bar, ceviche and an array of desserts. It was nice sitting down to eat lunch overlooking the beach...can't ask for a better view than that! For dinner, we tried all of the a la cartes and they were all very good with the exception of the Japanese. My favorite was the Mexican which we enjoyed on our last night there. I wished I had tried it earlier in the week as we would have definitely gone back there again. I am a fan of lobster but being from the east coast in Canada, I am very fussy and skeptical of ordering lobster. But the lobster dish in the Mexican restaurant was FANTASTIC. Luckily, my son ordered the same and was disappointed as he just likes to eat the claws and the lobster was just the body. Lucky me ! We also ate at the Italian and Argentenian restaurant and both were very good. We all had steak at the Argentinian and it was very flavorful and tender. I had the salmon at the Italian, my son had the pizza and my hubby and daughter ordered pasta dishes. We all enjoyed our food and the wines served at the Italian and Argentenian were very good. I don't typically order wine at all inclusive restaurants as they don't tend to be very good but they had a pretty good wine list at the Italian and I am a huge fan of Malbecs so the wine at the Argentinian was right up my alley. We did the buffet restaurant our first night there as we got in around 6 pm. The food was good and we all found something to eat. I did not eat there again though so cannot say if it is repetitive. We did eat off site for one night....at Senor Frog's to catch the Canada vs. Russia olympic game. The hotel did not get live feeds of the game so we joined a room full of fellow Canadians to catch the game. The food was very good and I got my one and only buzz of the drink off a couple of margaritas there. The price was quite reasonable...I was expecting our bill to be much higher. For 3 margaritas, 6 beers, a couple of Shirley Temples, Burger with Fries, Fajitas, Burrito, and a pasta dish, we paid around $88 US.

The drinks are definitely not strong but this being a family trip, I wasn't going there to party anyways. However, if this is a "party" trip, I would stick to the beers or get the bartenders to add a bit more alcohol to your drinks.

All in all this was a wonderful trip for our family and we would definitely recommend this resort. Not sure if we would go back there anytime soon but only because there are so many other places we haven't visited in Mexico. If we did go back to Mazatlan though, we wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Thanks again to the staff for making this trip so enjoyable for us!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2010
Dear newbie_in_bc

Until now we thought that previous reviews had covered all areas and aspects of our resort, however you proved us the contrary. We thank you for such an incredibly thorough description of your recent vacation at El Cid El Moro Beach Hotel. Also, we appreciate your suggestion regarding the balcony ledges.

We are delighted to learn that you found your own special place amongst the restaurants. Each one of them has its own concept and atmosphere complementing each other and forming part of a culinary tour. Maybe during your next visit you might discover your new special place and we would be honored to host you again in the near future. In the meantime, receive our best regards and until then we remain

With kind regards,

Minnesota
Reviewed 2 March 2010

We would recommend the El Cid resort to all people. If you can not have fun here you have a problem. The strength of this resort is its extremely friendly staff. Cindy, the Spanish teacher, was outstanding. Jesus and Lilly in the timeshare area were GREAT help to us. The check in staff was wonderful. Gespinoza was especially outstanding. The updated rooms were nicely done.

Areas of improvement: Golf course has made great improvements. Keep it up. Workout gym could definitely use some money put into its facilities. Staff in the gym was excellent. Give them some good equipment. The same equpipment has been there for over ten years.

One problem Mazatlan has, and this does not include the El Cid, is the number of timeshare people. It is going to ruin ones visit if they do not clean this mess up. One is nearly accosted by the numbers. Going out to eat in many places in the Golden Zone is awful. Tony's for example, nice place, and then at the end of the meal the owner comes around and tries to get you to go to a presentation for some resort. Very poor manners.
Congratulations to Marys establishment. She turned down a large amount of money and has kept out this vultures. She is located aross from The Inn at Mazatlan, just down the street from El Cid. Of course, one would expect this from a great Minnesotan. Come on Mazatlan clean it up. Do not go to La Jolla, Marnia Del Rey, Torrenza. These are horrible places. Other than a few places in the Golden Zone, we would recommend old Mazatlan for food. It is relaxing without timeshare vultures.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank brokencanoe
Dear brokencanoe

On behalf of our team we would like to thank you for having posted such a great review full of detailed impressions and valuable insight for other guests. We are flattered by your wonderful commendations and particularly are proud of our staff, who are our most important and treasured asset. Thanks to our employees (like Cindy, Jesus and Lily in your case); our guests are delivered personalized service, which converts a vacation into a memorable experience.

All areas of opportunity which you mention have been addressed immediately and we have not experienced any other issues in this regard, we will review some of the points in order to discover areas where adjustments might be needed. Our guests’ contributions are important for us since they help us to constantly improve the services we deliver.

We hope to have the honor to host you soon again and may your kind comments encourage many other discerning travelers to visit our very special paradise.

With kind regards,